HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Eugenie Bouchard Discussion Thread

Old
07-03-2014, 02:46 PM
MCDAVIDISH

vCash: 50
I'm proud of my future wife.

MCDAVIDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
I believe she will rank 5th just making the finals of this grand slam...
They said 7 on the broadcast, but whatever

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

She is smoking. Just saying...

McDangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:47 PM
SLURVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Milos can be frustrating to watch. He is so dominant with his serve that he doesn't bother wasting a lot of his energy when he's returning. It's an intentional strategy for him and he won't try in a game unless an opponent screws up and goes down 0-30 to him. Because of this tactic he plays in a lot of tiebreakers in which he's good at. He can beat a lot of the players on the tour like this but he can't beat the upper tier guys playing like that. Djokovic, for example who plays a tremendous return game, completely owns him. This is why most people are doubtful he can ever get in that top group. The good news for Milos is he's playing as good as I've ever seen him play at this tournament (he's only lost two sets so far!) and I'm really looking forward to that match with Federer tomorrow.
Obviously, Milos has an outstanding serve but Raonic has to be more aggressive and develop mental toughness esp when he is down in points. In tomorrow's semi, he cannot not let Federer play his game. Milos has to keep Federer off balance with short forehand plays.

After juniors, Raonic has been on the tour a little longer than Bouchard but Eugenie has come further in a shorter time. Big difference between the two is Bouchard has innate confidence (even when she is down on points-she retains it), mental toughness and consistently aggressive play. If Raonic can take two out of those three and use them (consistently), he will have greater success.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Asher

Maybe this thread could a title change. Just a thought...

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Obviously, Milos has an outstanding serve but Raonic has to be more aggressive and develop mental toughness esp when he is down in points. In tomorrow's semi, he cannot not let Federer play his game. Milos has to keep Federer off balance with short forehand plays.

After juniors, Raonic has been on the tour a little longer than Bouchard but Eugenie has come further in a shorter time. Big difference between the two is Bouchard has innate confidence (even when she is down on points-she retains it), mental toughness and consistently aggressive play. If Raonic can take two out of those three and use them (consistently), he will have greater success.
True true, but I will say this, honestly, the Women's Tour is not as deep as the Men's Tour.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 03:32 PM
SLURVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
True true, but I will say this, honestly, the Women's Tour is not as deep as the Men's Tour.
I am not sure about that but I will answer it this way. Since 2010, the women's tour has had 10 different winners in all the grand slams played (except for the remaining two undecided ones in 2014). All dominated by Serena. In the men's tour, there has only been 5 different players winning so far and dominated by Nadal and Djokovic. There has been more variety of women winners than the men's, 2:1. One could possibly interpret this as the women's tour being much deeper than the men's in this respect (?).

Old
07-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I am not sure about that but I will answer it this way. Since 2010, the women's tour has had 10 different winners in all the grand slams played (except for the remaining two undecided ones in 2014). All dominated by Serena. In the men's tour, there has only been 5 different players winning so far and dominated by Nadal and Federer. There has been more variety of women winners than the men's, 2:1. One could possibly interpret this as the women's tour being much deeper than the men's in this respect.
You could, but it's the same few guys dominating the Men's tour forcing everyone who even wants to compete to be at that "next" level. The Women's tour is competitive, but think it's a more level Competitiveness.

This all said, as Genie gets better she might become truly dominant in her sport. She's already very good and makes a lot of mistakes.

Old
07-03-2014, 03:37 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 69
Quote:
Well I would love to see Milos better the top guys, but the top guys don't just beat him, they dominate everyone. That group is winning all the tournaments, it's a hell of a group.
True enough, the top guys do completely dominate. That's what made it so shocking to see Nadal lose to a guy ranked 144. These guys, (Djokovic and Nadal and to a lesser degree now, Federer) are in a class by themselves with guys like Wawrinka, Murray and Berdych heading up the second tier. I think Roanic can get into that second tier but none of them seem to be on the verge of breaking through anytime soon. He has given himself a shot now so it's on him.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
True enough, the top guys do completely dominate. That's what made it so shocking to see Nadal lose to a guy ranked 144. These guys, (Djokovic and Nadal and to a lesser degree now, Federer) are in a class by themselves with guys like Wawrinka, Murray and Berdych heading up the second tier. I think Roanic can get into that second tier but none of them seem to be on the verge of breaking through anytime soon. He has given himself a shot now so it's on him.
I think if he can beat Federer, I think that might give him that mental push to get his game to that higher level. That said, if he loses, no slouch there, Federer is still a hell of a player.

The Men's tour is crazy, in that regard, they have a top-4 (I include Federer and Murray there) that's so dominant, yet it doesn't make things boring, because they're just that good.

Old
07-03-2014, 03:45 PM
SLURVE

Quote:
You could, but it's the same few guys dominating the Men's tour forcing everyone who even wants to compete to be at that "next" level. The Women's tour is competitive, but think it's a more level Competitiveness.

This all said, as Genie gets better she might become truly dominant in her sport. She's already very good and makes a lot of mistakes.
Good points... "More level competitiveness" only when Serena is not playing her game...lol.

Yes, it is hard to believe that Canadians like Genie and Milos will be slamming the Grand doors behind them and hopefully walking out with victories. Can't wait for the weekend. For Bouchard, reducing unforced errors comes with having big game experience. I guess playing center court, nerves can get the best of them. gtg.

Old
07-03-2014, 03:48 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:

Yep, agree 100%. That's why I said its so frustrating to watch him play. It's like he is satisfied with how dominant his service game is and doesn't need to do anything else. Without improving in the areas you listed he won't take anymore forward steps and won't lift himself to the level of the best players. He still has a lot of holes in his game and for as long as he's been on tour he appears to be what he is. The difference between him and Bouchard is that Eugenie has a much more rounded game and she looks better with every passing tournament.

Old
07-03-2014, 03:52 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
I don't know if it's a depth thing but it sure looks like a changing of the guard. There are a lot of good players and it's been tough to predict who is going to be able to beat who. Whoever has the better day wins. I said earlier in the thread that today's match was the one I was really excited about because Halep and Bouchard have been the most consistent of all the women pretty much all year.

Old
07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I doubt it. A smoker would not have the stamina that she does.

Oh wait.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 06:31 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I'm an Ana Ivanovic man myself.

She's done some very nice photoshoots.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:06 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

this thread sucks without pics...

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Genie army taking over. Her career is skyrocketing. It seems like yesterday she just won the jr Wimbledon title. Next thing you know she's in the finals of the women's title.

Keep it rolling!

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:10 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

5 14 6 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I'm an Ana Ivanovic man myself.

She's done some very nice photoshoots.
Simona Halep before her surgery.

Old
07-03-2014, 08:26 PM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Good points... "More level competitiveness" only when Serena is not playing her game...lol.

Yes, it is hard to believe that Canadians like Genie and Milos will be slamming the Grand doors behind them and hopefully walking out with victories. Can't wait for the weekend. For Bouchard, reducing unforced errors comes with having big game experience. I guess playing center court, nerves can get the best of them. gtg.
Depends what the deal with Serena's "viral illness" really was. The interesting thing in watching her meltdown was that Venus was pretty meh to the entire situation.

Definitely cheering for Eugenie. That Kvitova is damned intimidating though!

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:31 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Poundcake
Esquire

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post

Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Wish her luck on Saturday, it would be huge if she could become the first Canadian Grand Slam winner. And the title might be a tad outdated.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:15 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Lol, title change would be welcomed.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:37 PM
SLURVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post

Ok, the pics could be a little more flattering...not like she was sucking lemons...lol