HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fischler rantings

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 06:29 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Fischler rantings

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_ne...her&league=nhl

Things of note:

1. " Run-and-gun hockey may appeal to the media but more and more teams are switching to the defense-first game. These include the Rangers, Islanders and Red Wings, among others.

As one team official tells us, “We want to be more like the Devils – a better checking team.” "

Ok, Rangers I can see. But didn't the Isles trap under Lavvy? Also calling Detroit a run-and-gun team is like calling the Rangers a trapping team. Detroit has been using the left-wing lock for how many years now?

2. "Here’s the inside poop on CBA negotiations. There’s only one issue and it goes this way: Owners are determined to lower total payrolls by 40 (as in FORTY) percent. Management, whether it’s Boston or Montreal, is convinced it must make the salary slice. That’s why many insist there’s no chance of a settlement without a Lockout."

They want to trim all payrolls by 40%? That would certainly get most teams to the under $40m cap # that we've heard Bettman allude to. There's just no way they can get ALL teams to do that and there's NO WAY the NHLPA will EVER cave in to that #. Enjoy your hockey this year, boys and girls, becuase come 2004 there will be no NHL.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:42 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue

Things of note:

1. " Run-and-gun hockey may appeal to the media but more and more teams are switching to the defense-first game. These include the Rangers, Islanders and Red Wings, among others.

As one team official tells us, “We want to be more like the Devils – a better checking team.” "

Ok, Rangers I can see. But didn't the Isles trap under Lavvy? Also calling Detroit a run-and-gun team is like calling the Rangers a trapping team. Detroit has been using the left-wing lock for how many years now?
Laviolette is no longer their coach and their new guy I think is a defense first coach.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:59 AM
303Joe

The Isles had no system under Lavvy....

Quote:

Things of note:

2. "Here’s the inside poop on CBA negotiations. There’s only one issue and it goes this way: Owners are determined to lower total payrolls by 40 (as in FORTY) percent. Management, whether it’s Boston or Montreal, is convinced it must make the salary slice. That’s why many insist there’s no chance of a settlement without a Lockout."

They want to trim all payrolls by 40%? That would certainly get most teams to the under $40m cap # that we've heard Bettman allude to. There's just no way they can get ALL teams to do that and there's NO WAY the NHLPA will EVER cave in to that #. Enjoy your hockey this year, boys and girls, becuase come 2004 there will be no NHL.
Thats why he is gone. The guy would try to change system according to who they were playing and that is difficult for the most talented teams in the league. For the Isles to try to do that with not the greatest of talent was a mistake. Yes he did get to the playoffs big deal they got knocked in the 1st round and showed up for the 1st gane which they won and that was it. The biggest complaint was Lavvy would not commit to 1 style let the team play that style to the best of their abilties it would changed to much.
The new coach has them playing a defensiove style which they have adapted to very well. Yes I know it is only pre-season but they are 5-0 only letting up 5 goals in the 5games while scoring I believe 17 w. about 7 of them on turnovers in the neutral or off the forecheck. As i said I know its only pre-season but as an isles I'm pretty encouraged at least they are sticking w/ one style and winning w/ that.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:42 AM
NYR469

Quote:
they won't get everyone under that amount but i think the goal will be to get as many teams as they can under that limit and then have a luxury tax on any payroll over that limit

Old
10-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

What is even the point of grouping Fischler's incoherent thoughts together and publishing them? Seriously, what can I possibly do with information like "Brian Burke is expecting his first child" or "virtually all games are on the tube"?

My heart really goes out to Devil fans who have to endure this idiot all season.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:14 AM
Barnaby

I cant stand Fischler... I'm so sick of his interviews and hearing his opinions regarded as "expert" opinions.... They toss that word around VERY lightly

Old
10-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Pipo

Send a message via Yahoo to Pipo
imo... the trap never hurt hockey... every team plays some sort of defensive system... the rangers played the trap, it was just over the blue line and not in the neutral zone one like the one the devils made famous... the only time the neutral zone trap "hurt" the game is when it's combined with big time clutching and grabbing, basically holding up players in the neutral zone... the devils did it especially in '94 & '95... but the devils don't really play that way now... they have the speed to force the turnovers now... devil games are no longer boring...

trapping is okay when it's done with speed and stickhandling and not with players' gloves and interference...

Old
10-01-2003, 01:23 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr
My heart really goes out to Devil fans who have to endure this idiot all season.
What I don't understand is why they even put this guy on the Devil broadcasts. He is the ultimate ranger homer so why not just do the ranger games.

Closed Thread