HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting from the point in beer league?

Old
01-26-2014, 02:35 AM
ssdlpf

vCash: 500
yeah just don't be that guy who skates to the faceoff dot and takes a clapper with a dman right in front of him (ie what happened to me last sunday and why i've been limping since then).

the same guy on the penalty kill took the puck from our offensive zone to his own zone, turned around and took a slapshot at one of our guys (and then laughed at him after he took a penalty). needless to say, he had some cuts on his face by the end of the game.

ssdlpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:37 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

I play inline, so it's obviously 4v4, and I always like to employ the courtesy of rarely taking a high clapper, or clapper in general, if there is too much traffic. I just don't want to accidentally catch one wrong and hit someone in the face. Then again, last game I played, I had a guy come down on me 1 v 1 and rip a slapshot. It hit me in the shinpad, but best believe everytime I came up against him I wound up a slapshot too.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Agreed... going back to "things" happen but you still need to be aware, last game I accidentally got the goalie up in the chest with my stick while it was lose in front of him and I immediately stopped digging and apologized. He continued following the play but then said "no problem" after it was cleared. On the other hand I've seen guys go nuts with the digging on the goalie and all I can think is what a "insert whatever you want here". Regardless of whether or not the puck was lose, smarten up and realize what this is.
Yeah I hate that, and since I'm playing defense this year I really need to learn to put those guys on their ass.

Anyways, I've always played wing before this season and have had the luxury of playing on top end teams as well low. On the top end teams we had a couple of guys on the point with great slap shots, which they used frequently. Personally I loved it, as i consider 'puck dodging' on of my special skills . In 4 years I only got tagged once in the inner thigh and clipped off the shoulder once. I don't know how effective I actually am at screening, but I saw plenty of goals went in because of a good dodge from myself.

Now contrasting this to my experience in the lower league, and the main point I want to make, I find you can't really get a good tip on it if you're dmen have weak slapshots. If you can't get a good velocity on it the 'tip' is as likely to stop the puck as it is deflect it. Now that I'm playing defense in a bottom division, I don't even bother trying. I'm pretty good at finding the seam so I just wrist it through on net, or look for an open teammate off to the side and fire it towards them.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Razzmatazz

Unless I know I can get the shot through a screen and/or have a look high, I try to keep my slap shot low and with accuracy over power when shooting from the point. There are dummies who dive out in front sometimes, I'll eat the puck or pass it or dump it into the corner, the last thing I want to do is hurt someone accidentally because of a reckless play.

On that note, I don't usually block shots with my body from the point, and try to keep the stick to the outside with the blade vertical so any redirects go into the corner away from traffic and generally stay close to the ice. It scares me when I see people reach out in front of them to try to get their stick on a shot, I've seen and almost been the victim of shots riding up the blade and into someone's face.

There are more things that can go wrong than right with high slap shots at the point, people need to be careful

EDIT: Note: All my goals playing defense have been wristers, usually while throwing the puck in from the boards down by the hashmarks. Every slapshot goal I've scored has been a one on one after crossing the blue line and using the defenseman as a screen, those were all playing forward.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 01-26-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Hounsy

Just to note as a goalie who is an admitted blocker type wrist shots with traffic are more problematic than slappers for me as often I don't even know they are on the way and am not covering low and second if I do catch a peek they are easier to tip for the forwards.

The only thing I will say about the what is appropriate debate is that the slapper is like most peoples driver in golf, if you can not control it most of the time best you just leave it in the bag.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I agree that it's an etiquette/awareness thing. It's a beer league... you are an amateur competing in a no-stakes game of shinny. If you're far from the net and there's a clear and open lane to the goalie, bombs away. If you're in the circle and there's a crowd in front of you, lay the hell off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
You know, some guys have powerful wrist shots that can leave a nasty bruise on your body if it hits you. Most of the time, it's the location of the shot that causes a player to be injured, not the power. I could injure a guy standing 40 feet in front of me with just a little snapshot if it hit him in the throat or in the specific spot below the belt.
These are two good posts on the subject.

Shooting the puck in general, if you have a half decent wrist shot even, can cause injury. I've put down three goalies with wristers and severely bruised/sprained peoples feet with wrist shots.

Be aware of the situation. If I've got the puck at the point and there's a half dozen bodies between me and the net, I'm not going to shoot for the corner. There's basically no chance of the puck going in and someone could get hurt. That's any kind of shot. Instead, I would take a low shot if I think it will get to the net.

I don't take slappers obviously if someone is close to me. They could get hurt off the shot or the follow through. I've taken a slapper follow through to the groin and it's not fun. I pretty much only take slappers if it's wide open.

And not just because of the risk of injury, but because a hard shot that hits a shin pad can bounce right behind you and spring the defender on a breakaway. That happens way too many times for me to care to think about.

Also, I can't ever think of a time I took a slapper (edit: from the point) where I was trying to go high with it. I want the puck to stay low, beat the goalie before he can drop, or at least make a rebound off the pads.

Last edited by Jarick: 01-31-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:43 PM
Islespuck89

I play in a E league in NJ trust me if the puck comes to me as LW on a draw 95% of the time I deflect/pass it to the point so the Dman can rip it. I immediately go to the net the second I make the pass for a rebound.

it's part of the game, I know certain guys on other teams that have a hard shot and no aim when I play them and see them winding up i just get out of the way.

If the game was over 6-1 a blowout I would def not pass it to the point i would look for a shot or pass.

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:08 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
As a goalie if I see some wan-a-be Dman wind up for a claper from the point I just laugh and know that there is a 90% chance its going to be 1: on the ice, 2: high and or wide. or 3: going to hit someone that they really dont want to piss off. I'm well protected with my equiptment and the poor shlub standing in front of me trying screen me or trying to help me is more likly going to get hit, hurt, and brused. I play a lot of shinny and it's an unwritten rule that there is no slap shots at shinny. With that said since I'm living in Canada we get pros out that have a harded and more accuret wrist shot than most people have slap shots. 2 years ago I had the steel on my mask bent by Mike Kostca by his wrist shot from the halfboards. Dident even realize it untill we wnt to the change room, but the game did stop because of the blow to my head. (I didn't stop the game Mike did) Did not even realize who Mike was at the time. With that said I played between between 3 and 6 games with Mike that summer and he never took one slapshot at shinny. I know he played in an A level mens league that summer but I don't know how many slap shots he took there. I would say A and B Levle leagues clapers are good to go mostly because if you are playing at that level you should know when to make a slap shot and how to make a slapshot. If you are playing C hockey or below even as a ringer you have to worry about the lower level players who will get hurt. example of a crappy slapshot Phaneuf braking lupul's wrist.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:14 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islespuck89 View Post
I play in a E league in NJ trust me if the puck comes to me as LW on a draw 95% of the time I deflect/pass it to the point so the Dman can rip it. I immediately go to the net the second I make the pass for a rebound.

it's part of the game, I know certain guys on other teams that have a hard shot and no aim when I play them and see them winding up i just get out of the way.

If the game was over 6-1 a blowout I would def not pass it to the point i would look for a shot or pass.
Eh I'm moving back to NJ soon where do you play Eh? E hockey with guys who can make a slapshot from the point and hit the net? hahahahaha!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 06:01 AM
hyster110

if you sign up for a league that allows slapshots, you have no right to complain that they are being used. you know what your getting into by playing every game.

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
Eh I'm moving back to NJ soon where do you play Eh? E hockey with guys who can make a slapshot from the point and hit the net? hahahahaha!
UGGGHHH typo I play in NY, We have 2 Dmen who hit the net from the point. They are both very smart players. Don't have the hardest shots but have great skills at putting pucks in areas. They work amazing together as a team, if one rips one and it gets deflected out of the zone the other is always there to back him up incase of an odd man rush.

This league has B,C,D,E levels in reality d/e are the same thing.

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm surprised by the number of goalies who don't want to face slapshots. Why play goalie if you don't want people shooting at you?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 03:00 PM
CunniJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm surprised by the number of goalies who don't want to face slapshots. Why play goalie if you don't want people shooting at you?
"Goldberg, you're the goalie. It's supposed to hit you!"

Anyway, this is a kind of complicated issue. Sure, if the league allows slapshots, then a player theoretically has a right to go ahead and fire away. At the same time, why would you bother taking a shot that has next to 0% chance of going in and a much better chance of just hurting somebody? Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. If you've got a clear path for that shot and it's your best shot for the time, go ahead and take it. If it's 5th Avenue during rush hour in front of the net, why bother? Fortunately, most of these goofs shoot a 15 MPH knucklepuck that goes nowhere near the net anyway.

At the same time, I think game 7 DMen that go all Gregory Campbell on shot blocking are pretty stupid on the other side of the equation. I guess some people really want to hit their health insurance deductibles for some reason? To throw out a couple cliches, with great power comes great responsibility and discretion is the better part of valor.

Last edited by CunniJA: 02-03-2014 at 03:05 PM.
CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
SJGoalie32

There are basically three types of defensemen who try to take slapshots from the point in beer leagues: those who have no power, those who possess tremendous power and pinpoint accuracy, and those who have extreme power with no accuracy.

The shots from the first group are too weak and soft to do any damage. It's ridiculous that they are taking shots from the point, but more because the shot has no chance of doing anything productive and is basically just going to be a turnover.

The guys from the second group have shots powerful enough to damage someone, but who also have the accuracy to control where their shots go. Those guys are fine. You still have to be wary of the occasional random deflection, but that's part of the risk. For the most part though, the guys are good enough to avoid you

But the last group are the ones who get yelled at the most. And should. They're the ones who have shots powerful enough to injure other people (60, 70, 80+ mph), and who lack the control both to create a quality scoring chance and to keep other people safe.

The goal is only 4 feet high. I haven't encountered a single player since youth league who was so short that their head was at or below the crossbar. If you see people other than the goalie standing near or in front of the net, be they opposing defenders or your own forwards, there is absolutely no reason why anybody's direct shot should be whistling past their ear level. Yes, mistakes happen and people miss. If you are missing high by 2+ feet, just holster your weapon, Tex.

High slapshots are very dangerous. The more powerful they are, the more dangerous they are. They can cause serious injury, even for people who are wearing full cages. If you have a slapshot powerful enough to seriously injure someone and you plan on elevating your shots up near people's shoulders and heads, then the onus is on you to be able to aim with some sensible degree of control. If you lack the ability to control that shot......you should not take that shot. Period.

Obviously hockey is full of physical risk. But if you are seriously callously jeopardizing other people's health and well being (both your opponents and teammates) on a play that has virtually no chance of creating a positive outcome for your team because you lack the ability to shoot the puck with enough control to be safe, much less into the microscopic window needed to score.....you should not take that shot. That's just plain common sense (though as we all know, sense is neither plain nor common).

Last edited by SJGoalie32: 02-04-2014 at 09:42 PM.
SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
As a goalie if I see some wan-a-be Dman wind up for a claper from the point I just laugh and know that there is a 90% chance its going to be 1: on the ice, 2: high and or wide. or 3: going to hit someone that they really dont want to piss off. I'm well protected with my equiptment and the poor shlub standing in front of me trying screen me or trying to help me is more likly going to get hit, hurt, and brused. I play a lot of shinny and it's an unwritten rule that there is no slap shots at shinny. With that said since I'm living in Canada we get pros out that have a harded and more accuret wrist shot than most people have slap shots. 2 years ago I had the steel on my mask bent by Mike Kostca by his wrist shot from the halfboards. Dident even realize it untill we wnt to the change room, but the game did stop because of the blow to my head. (I didn't stop the game Mike did) Did not even realize who Mike was at the time. With that said I played between between 3 and 6 games with Mike that summer and he never took one slapshot at shinny. I know he played in an A level mens league that summer but I don't know how many slap shots he took there. I would say A and B Levle leagues clapers are good to go mostly because if you are playing at that level you should know when to make a slap shot and how to make a slapshot. If you are playing C hockey or below even as a ringer you have to worry about the lower level players who will get hurt. example of a crappy slapshot Phaneuf braking lupul's wrist.
You wouldn't laugh if you were facing me or one of my ex teammates. The guy has a bomb of a clapper, in the 80-90 mph range, and it's an accurate bullet. Don't underestimate the shooter, that's when they burn you.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote