HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2014, 01:43 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
The difference between the Devils and Western teams is that the Western teams have size AND speed. Not just size.
I agree--but you can see how and why the Devils give us a lot of trouble when playing the kind of game they do. Turn it into a skating contest and it works to the Rangers favor. Come playoff time less talented teams often win employing the same strategy of slowing the game down and wearing down their opponents with physical play.

Old
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I agree--but you can see how and why the Devils give us a lot of trouble when playing the kind of game they do. Turn it into a skating contest and it works to the Rangers favor. Come playoff time less talented teams often win employing the same strategy of slowing the game down and wearing down their opponents with physical play.
Yep a long series hurts speedy teams. It's hard to be smaller and have to constantly win 1 on 1 battles against guys bigger than you. It's tiring.

Old
01-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Leetch66

Refs also tend to let more stuff go...Bruins should not have beaten the Canucks if the series had of been called the way the game is supposed to be called . Either way...you have to have a good mix of all skill sets and even then a streak of good luck .

Old
01-27-2014, 02:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Trade coming? Habs reportedly interested
that franchise is a hot mess right now.

i would look for a shake up there.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett of the Sports Consulting Group based in Pittsford, New York, said he and the Rangers have had "ongoing discussions in the hopes that we can get something done," and that while there have been some "detours" at points, he remains "optimistic."

Sather's obvious best chance to keep Callahan is to keep him off the market, since he would command a significant raise from his current $4.275 annual salary with the NHL salary cap projected to rise to $71 million next season. However, if Callahan doesn't sign an extension by early March - shortly after the completion of the Olympic break - he'll be more likely to put negotiations on hold and hit free agency than to allow talks to continue while he tries to focus on the Rangers' playoff race.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...icle-1.1593003

How does this scenario benefit the Rangers? If the Rangers want to keep and pay him,it won't be cheaper in July.

Those must be some big "detours".

So unless the Rangers give Bartlett what he wants,he will go to free agency to get what he wants.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:21 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

How does this scenario benefit the Rangers? If the Rangers want to keep and pay him,it won't be cheaper in July.

So unless the Rangers give Bartlett what he wants,he will go to free agency to get what he wants.
as much as i hate the idea of letting him walk, it may well be the best move for the organization moving forward.

hell need to take a nice discount to stay imo. his game/body doesnt setup well for the last few years of this last contract.

i do not want to overpay him. we have jt miller that can play his e/s minutes for a ton less money.

i hope they can extend him at a reasonable fair price. my gut tells me these contract negotiations could be very adversarial.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
as much as i hate the idea of letting him walk, it may well be the best move for the organization moving forward.

hell need to take a nice discount to stay imo. his game/body doesnt setup well for the last few years of this last contract.

i do not want to overpay him. we have jt miller that can play his e/s minutes for a ton less money.

i hope they can extend him at a reasonable fair price. my gut tells me these contract negotiations could be very adversarial.
letting him walk doesnt help us at all. its the worst case scenario to the nth degree

trade him, get assets back, DONT let him walk.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:38 PM
haveandare

Quote:

Can he though? I'm not convinced.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I love the sentiment that the Rangers won't/shouldn't trade Callahan while they're in a playoff "race" but its uncertain that Callahan re-signs in the summer/the Rangers shouldn't pay Callahan. Unless the Rangers bend and give him him what he wants,some other team will. Bartlett and Callahan will use other teams to leverage the Rangers.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Gotta say this as always when I see it said

The idea of "not wanting to be distracted" over a contract extension is such EFFING *********. It cracks me up that its accepted by the media and bought as a legit comment.

Players who say this simply want to test free agency. They want to test the market and see what it brings them. It is not a distraction for someone's agent to try and work out an extension if the player wants to stay. If anything its more of a distraction to NOT be signed and NOT a deal especially if you are a top beloved player to that team/city.

Not that Callahan falls into the "beloved player" category, but I just hate when I see players trying to say that contract talks are a distraction.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

We cannot afford to let Callahan walk for nothing. The team is playing well, but the front office cannot seriously believe that we're true contenders.

If Callahan was able to stay healthy, I would absolutely throw the Brown contract at him. But, we all know he can't stay healthy. Let some other team give him a retirement contract.

Girardi is the guy you keep long term, if his contract demands are reasonable. Otherwise, ship him out too.

One of Boyle or Moore should be sold off to the highest bidder.

Pay Stralman if Girardi is shipped out. Otherwise, look to trade him.

We have so many desirable assets that we could and should be selling at least some of them. We could seriously set ourselves up for our next window by stockpiling picks and prospects for expiring contracts.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Vidic15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Gotta say this as always when I see it said

The idea of "not wanting to be distracted" over a contract extension is such EFFING *********. It cracks me up that its accepted by the media and bought as a legit comment.

Players who say this simply want to test free agency. They want to test the market and see what it brings them. It is not a distraction for someone's agent to try and work out an extension if the player wants to stay. If anything its more of a distraction to NOT be signed and NOT a deal especially if you are a top beloved player to that team/city.

Not that Callahan falls into the "beloved player" category, but I just hate when I see players trying to say that contract talks are a distraction.
Speaks volumes of his intentions. He's willing to put the Rangers' backs up against the wall and possibly risk being traded. He wants to get paid, period.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:13 PM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Speaks volumes of his intentions. He's willing to put the Rangers' backs up against the wall and possibly risk being traded. He wants to get paid, period.
Honestly, I really don't blame him. It's great to fantasize about players loving the teams they play for so much that they're willing to accept less money to play for said team, but these players have a very finite shelf life, and a very limited window in which to make money, potentially providing lifetime financial security for themselves and their families. I don't begrudge Callahan trying to milk every last cent out of his next (and probably last) contract. I just don't want it to be from our team. It makes zero business sense to give Callahan a 7Y+/$6M+ contract. Zero.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
letting him walk doesnt help us at all. its the worst case scenario to the nth degree

trade him, get assets back, DONT let him walk.
i agree.

i would trade him too but again, hes gonna get paid by someone stupid enough to overpay for a guy on the downside of his very solid career.

hell bring back something but really its gonna be a salary dump if the market tightens up for an aging, semi healthy callahan who may not resign where ever hes traded to.

best case scenerio is he stays and understands hell need to take a fair discount to finish his career as the capt of the nyr.

this is a business decision pure and simple. no emotion.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Two Tone Malone
Let Blaine Die

Quote:
i agree.

i would trade him too but again, hes gonna get paid by someone stupid enough to overpay for a guy on the downside of his very solid career.

hell bring back something but really its gonna be a salary dump if the market tightens up for an aging, semi healthy callahan who may not resign where ever hes traded to.

best case scenerio is he stays and understands hell need to take a fair discount to finish his career as the capt of the nyr.

this is a business decision pure and simple. no emotion.
I thinking we're all fantasizing that, but it ain't happening. Callahan owes it to his wife and kid(s) to get paid, especially with his style of play. Callahan will get a good return. GMs love him and would pay a pretty penny to get him, I mean just look at what all the GMs were saying about him in ESPN's Team USA Selection Committee article. Some schmuck will be dying to trade for him and offer him a fat contract. Last thing we need is for us to get into a contract battle with him. Callahan would be vilified if that happened and he walked and nobody wants that.

My only concern is that this following draft is fairly average, so I don't know how valuable 1sts will be. 2015 is loaded...

Old
01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I completely understand, and do not fault wanting millions more. I'm as pro market as they come. But in that position I would never think to argue to anyone that the difference between 30 and 45 million dollars was somehow owed to my wife and kids. Maybe a bunch of people's wives and kids through charity.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Will just prove how stupid and short-sighted this organization is if they let the Callahan and Girardi situations go on beyond the trade deadline.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I completely understand, and do not fault wanting millions more. I'm as pro market as they come. But in that position I would never think to argue to anyone that the difference between 30 and 45 million dollars was somehow owed to my wife and kids. Maybe a bunch of people's wives and kids through charity.
Easy thing to say when you're not in that position.

Thats the beauty of a populist type argument.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Easy thing to say when you're not in that position.

Thats the beauty of a populist type argument.
I'm as capitalist as they come.

I am more than happy with anyone who wants to make more. But to use the wife and kids thing, it implies that they're somehow hard done by. But you're right, it sounded more judgmental than it was meant to be.

It all comes down to individual value. How much is playing in NYC worth, compared to other places, how much is a NMC worth, the salary, all these things come into play. Its subjective utility, which is why some players take a hometown discount and others don't.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:

I am more than happy with anyone who wants to make more. But to use the wife and kids thing, it implies that they're somehow hard done by. But you're right, it sounded more judgmental than it was meant to be.

It all comes down to individual value. How much is playing in NYC worth, compared to other places, how much is a NMC worth, the salary, all these things come into play. Its subjective utility, which is why some players take a hometown discount and others don't.
Agree 100%. If Callahan wants the money then by all means go for it. He doesn't owe us a discount. However, to use wife/kids as justification is simply a way to not have to say "it is 100% about the money for me".

Wasn't it Latrell Sprewell who did that with the Knicks?

01-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

We're talking about a guy that will have zero idea what hes doing at 37, 38 years old. I never blame pro athletes for milking every dime when their future is very uncertain.

Sooner or later, as a fan, you realize that you care about the players FAR more than they care about you. The notion that Callahan will take some sort of hometown discount because hes "our captain" is a crock.

Old
01-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

What is the market / compareables with NMCs?

Is it completely out of the question to get a limited NTC with Cally and Girardi?

Old
01-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We're talking about a guy that will have zero idea what hes doing at 37, 38 years old. I never blame pro athletes for milking every dime when their future is very uncertain.

Sooner or later, as a fan, you realize that you care about the players FAR more than they care about you. The notion that Callahan will take some sort of hometown discount because hes "our captain" is a crock.
When I look at some of the other players who have taken discounts to stay where they are, I wonder what the difference or problem is with us. I've come to the conclusion that the hardball style employed by the front office when negotiating re-ups is the root of it.

Old
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Two Tone Malone
Let Blaine Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
When I look at some of the other players who have taken discounts to stay where they are, I wonder what the difference or problem is with us. I've come to the conclusion that the hardball style employed by the front office when negotiating re-ups is the root of it.
I think it's just the fact that we're the second most valuable team in hockey. Agents know we have the money and will spend it freely.

Also, giving Girardi and Callahan either a NMC or a NTC would make my head explode.

Old
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

If the Rangers end up paying Zuc 4-5 mil per and Girardi 7, Callahan isn't coming back.

Closed Thread