HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Rangerfan4life90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Just from a theoretical standpoint, and ignoring contract demands (since both would want fairly large contracts), I'd trade Girardi, especially if both will be getting 5 years or more, and here's why:

Neither are elite players yet both are popular/in demand because of intangibles. Both are gamers, leaders, etc. and Girardi is a right handed D-Man who can log a ton of minutes. That's the kind of thing teams over pay for.

Callahan isn't elite either but he's probably closer to elite than Girardi. I'd also feel more confident saying a team can be a legitimately contending team with Cally as a top-6 winger than I would saying a team can be a legit contender with Girardi as a top pairing D-Man.

I think it's just in terms of asset management. If we're going to get a massive overpayment for either of them, I'd trade the less elite one and try to build something going forward. After the Lundqvist extension we can't/won't go for a full rebuild.
You don't think a contending team would love a Girardi type player as a top pairing D-man? Right handed D-man, plays good defense, can log a lot of minutes, generally scores 25-30 points a year, etc. I'm not saying he's a #1, but he's definitely a #2.

Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I was bored and checked out the comments on the SNY blog. You can see how controversial of a move trading Callahan would be. Whether we agree with it on here or not...I really wonder if the org has the balls to do something like that.
Callahan is a good player, but most casual fans see a gritty player and a guy that announcers (even national announcers) faun over and think he's a superstar.

Old
DrRecchi

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
With klein signed for four and girardi sounding likely to be coming back, does thats mean stralman is gone?

If so do you let hime walk or move him at the deadline?
Stralman for Klein is a major downgrade. That would suck if he's moved.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
Just from a theoretical standpoint, and ignoring contract demands (since both would want fairly large contracts), I'd trade Girardi, especially if both will be getting 5 years or more, and here's why:

Neither are elite players yet both are popular/in demand because of intangibles. Both are gamers, leaders, etc. and Girardi is a right handed D-Man who can log a ton of minutes. That's the kind of thing teams over pay for.

Callahan isn't elite either but he's probably closer to elite than Girardi. I'd also feel more confident saying a team can be a legitimately contending team with Cally as a top-6 winger than I would saying a team can be a legit contender with Girardi as a top pairing D-Man.

I think it's just in terms of asset management. If we're going to get a massive overpayment for either of them, I'd trade the less elite one and try to build something going forward. After the Lundqvist extension we can't/won't go for a full rebuild.

If we are talking asset management, Girardi is the best right handed defenseman on the team now and next season. Callahan is the 3rd best right wing on the team, now and going forward. Furthermore the Rangers have multiple RWs on the cusp of breaking into the NHL who should be able to play 3rd line minutes in place of Callahan, whereas the right handed defensemen in the system are nowhere near ready to replace Girardi's minutes. So from an asset management perspective you sign Giradi and trade Cally.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
DrRecchi

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Callahan is a good player, but most casual fans see a gritty player and a guy that announcers (even national announcers) faun over and think he's a superstar.
But they watch the game and often disregard stats! If coaches, announcers say he's a superstar player, it's true!

Old
01-28-2014, 09:12 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Stralman for Klein is a major downgrade. That would suck if he's moved.
Agreed, but I really dont think they can keep all the D. If they sign girardi @5.5, stralman @2.3 and moore @ 1 (all low side # IMO) and in the goalies that's $ 30m of the cap gone

Old
01-28-2014, 09:13 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
If we are talking asset management, Girardi is the best right handed defenseman on the team now and next season. Callahan is the 3rd best right wing on the team, now and going forward. Furthermore the Rangers have multiple RWs on the cusp of breaking into the NHL who should be able to play 3rd line minutes in place of Callahan, whereas the right handed defensemen in the system are nowhere near ready to replace Girardi's minutes. So from an asset management perspective you sign Giradi and trade Cally.
Thank you kind sir. Very accurate

Old
01-28-2014, 09:15 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Love Callahan, but complete pass at 6+M for 7 years. 5M, yes. 6x + that term? No. Trade him.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Lindberg Cheese
Report to Carousel

Quote:
This and additional problem is that if Stralman leaves also we have Klein, McI, and offside either Moore or Allen as depth. Haven checked FA to see if there's a decent 2nd pairing RH option but doubt it. Hate to see Cally go but we need to retain our D first and see about that 2nd line LW or C first. Question is whether we keep him for a run or trade him for a substantial return I imagine. Blast away.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:23 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
So the plan is to trade 1 and sign the other long term. Hmm, wonder who said that would be sound logic...
I did. A long time ago.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
This and additional problem is that if Stralman leaves also we have Klein, McI, and offside either Moore or Allen as depth. Haven checked FA to see if there's a decent 2nd pairing RH option but doubt it. Hate to see Cally go but we need to retain our D first and see about that 2nd line LW or C first. Question is whether we keep him for a run or trade him for a substantial return I imagine. Blast away.
That's not a question at all, if they aren't planning on signing him, they have to trade him. The reality is that I don't think this current team playing AVs system will miss Cally all that much. Also, I don't think this team with Callahan beats the Bruins or the Pens in a 7 game series either.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:30 PM
bmw2004

vCash: 1050
I hope Sather reads this board. Can you hear us Glen?

Old
01-28-2014, 09:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
That's not a question at all, if they aren't planning on signing him, they have to trade him. The reality is that I don't think this current team playing AVs system will miss Cally all that much. Also, I don't think this team with Callahan beats the Bruins or the Pens in a 7 game series either.
Not sure about that. Right now we have 3 lines that are at least fairly dangerous. Callahan missing from Brassard and Hagelin's line and replaced by who exactly? Miller? Fast? Somebody we get back for him? It's very likely to have a real impact. That's not saying that I'm against moving him if there's no reasonable deal on a contract for him to be made. The Rangers are not going to be better for the rest of this year in his absence though.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I think this means that everyone on the board owes us drinks this weekend.

BRB, I like Sierra Nevada's.
And if they wind up trading both are you buying for everyone?

Old
01-28-2014, 09:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not sure about that. Right now we have 3 lines that are at least fairly dangerous. Callahan missing from Brassard and Hagelin's line and replaced by who exactly? Miller? Fast? Somebody we get back for him? It's very likely to have a real impact. That's not saying that I'm against moving him if there's no reasonable deal on a contract for him to be made. The Rangers are not going to be better for the rest of this year in his absence though.
Personally, I think Fast could step in for Cally and the team wouldn't miss a beat. We've already seen that he can play extremely solid defense and his offense has really been picking up for HFD lately. Meanwhile Cally's already missed significant time and his absence didn't really seem to impact the team. If it happens, I see MZA and Nash getting more time (has anyone else noticed Nash starting to get limited PK time?) and Fast earning his way from an initial 10-12 minutes per game to 15-16 by season's end.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 01-28-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old
01-28-2014, 09:39 PM
dethomas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I hope Sather reads this board. Can you hear us Glen?
not loud enough haha

Old
01-28-2014, 09:43 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Personally, I think Fast could step in for Cally and the team wouldn't miss a beat.
He's been playing very well in Hartford lately. I'd like to see him keep it up for at least another month or so before committing to giving him another shot though--which is about to the trade deadline.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:44 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
I think this means that everyone on the board owes us drinks this weekend.

BRB, I like Sierra Nevada's.
LOL, drinking a Torpedo right now (no joke!)

Old
01-28-2014, 09:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
He's been playing very well in Hartford lately. I'd like to see him keep it up for at least another month or so before committing to giving him another shot though--which is about to the trade deadline.
Sounds about right to me.

Old
01-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Mikos87

Brassard, J. Moore, Boyle, Kristo, 2nd for ROR, Mitchell, Heard?

Roy gets a player that he can really motivate in Brassard. COL wants and needs mobile LD. Boyle is pending UFA, Mitchell is pending UFA. Teams trade as COL need's Boyle's size down the middle in the West.

Mitchell is a known quantity that fits this system better than Boyle. Better skater, and puck handler. PK, Shot Block. Better skater, head and hands than Boyle and fills same role. Fits this team better I think.

ROR is what he is.

Conor Allen replaces J. Moore. I think Allen can handle those minutes. Moore has to make himself untradable with his play.

Mitchel Heard is a fast skating, hard working grinder in the mold of a young Prust. Hits hard. Played with JT Miller in Juniors, always stood out. Home grown 4th liner. LW. Plays hungry.

Last edited by Mikos87: 01-28-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
No, of course they won't be better. But the loss won't nearly be as devastating as it was in years past under Torts is all I was saying.

Old
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
EpicDing
Chris K-POP Kreider

I would be absolutely devastated if Callahan was traded. Been my favorite player since I really started watching. My head says it's a good idea, but damn... I don't want it to happen.

Old
01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Brassard, J. Moore, Boyle, Kristo, 2nd for ROR, Mitchell, Heard?

Roy gets a player that he can really motivate in Brassard. COL wants and needs mobile LD. Boyle is pending UFA, Mitchell is pending UFA. Teams trade as COL need's Boyle's size down the middle in the West.

Mitchell is a known quantity that fits this system better than Boyle. Better skater, and puck handler. PK, Shot Block. Better skater, head and hands than Boyle and fills same role. Fits this team better I think.

ROR is what he is.

Conor Allen replaces J. Moore. I think Allen can handle those minutes. Moore has to make himself untradable with his play.

Mitchel Heard is a fast skating, hard working grinder in the mold of a young Prust. Hits hard. Played with JT Miller in Juniors, always stood out. Home grown 4th liner. LW. Plays hungry.
im a big fan of Heard... i dont want Mitchell back. id love McGinn on this team though. big fan of 3rd liners that can score 15 goals consistently and provide energy and fight when the time is right...

Closed Thread