Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Winter Olympics - WARNING: Spoilers within

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Pie O My

vCash: 500
how are our US chances for that skiing and shooting at things sport?

Old
01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
duckchobbins

Winter olympics are far superior IMO. Even the drawn out and slower events like cross country and such end up being wildly exciting towards the end. Luge, bobsled, hockey, and all skiing events are obviously exciting for their own reasons. Then you have curling, which is just as much a chess match as it is a skill set.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Winter olympics are far superior IMO. Even the drawn out and slower events like cross country and such end up being wildly exciting towards the end. Luge, bobsled, hockey, and all skiing events are obviously exciting for their own reasons. Then you have curling, which is just as much a chess match as it is a skill set.
You mentioned bobsled, which reminds me.

Finally.....Jamaica has come back....to the Winter Olympics!

http://www.today.com/sochi/jamaican-...eam-2D11958894

Old
01-23-2014, 03:35 PM
mislysBB

I'm pumped for the Olympics, even though hockey is probably the only thing I will watch

Would imagine that Rask, Chara, and Loui won't be bringing their significant others/families to the games either. I wouldn't, especially since it seems like there's a new threat every day.

Old
01-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Mainehockey33

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 2m
Breaking: Pentagon says it will send two Navy warships into Black Sea to respond in event of terror attack at Sochi games

Terrorists better watch their back

Old
01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
how are our US chances for that skiing and shooting at things sport?
Biathlon. The countries who will dominate are most probably Norway, Russia (home field will help too) and Germany. The competitor to watch is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen of Norway, who has won 11 Olympic medals, six of them gold. He had a bad run for a couple of years, including at the Vancouver games, but he's reportedly back in top form this winter.

The U.S. has an outside chance at a medal, but the biggest story about the U.S. team has been Tracy Barnes winning a spot on the team - and then giving it up to her twin sister.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/16/263105...er-twin-sister

Old
01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I am looking forward to the hockey most. I'll watch whatever is on if there is nothing better, but most of the events don't do anything for me.

If I watch for the crashes, I might as well just watch Nascar

Old
01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Madturk

The Winter Games especially hockey brings back great memories. I worked at the Lake Placid Olympics and saw the USA-Russia game. I don't think there will ever be another sporting event that even comes close to the intensity of that game. I watched the whole thing unfold.

Old
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Eh, I like the Winter Olympics more simply because of hockey, but I think if you take hockey out of the equation, the Summer Olympics blow the Winter Olympics out of the water. There's just so much more variety in the Summer.

Old
01-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
It's pretty cool that 3 of our guys are arguably perceived as their country's best player (Chara, Rask and Krejci). What are your projections of line combos for our guys? My guess:

Marleau-Bergeron-Carter

Michalek-Krejci-Jagr

Landeskog-Berglund-Eriksson

Chara-Mezaros
One popular guess is that Eriksson will play on the Sedins wing. He did so in the latest world championships, with a lot of success. Nothing has been officially decided/declared yet though.

As for events other than hockey, I'm a big fan of the cross county skiing. But I'll try to catch everything were a Swede has even a remote chance for a medal.

Old
01-23-2014, 04:44 PM
KrejciMVP

Well that settles it, Im not going to Sochi either

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/2...fety-in-sochi/

Old
01-23-2014, 04:59 PM
acr*

The hockey tournament is always good, and speed skating and curling are kind of fun to watch, but aside from that, it's really pretty stupid. A bunch of highly specialized sports that the common man would never participate in packaged up in some kind of nationalist competition.

It's basically the Mario Party of athletics. A bunch of mini-games that no one would play/watch if they stood on their own, but put it together into one event and you've got some kind of highly-rated gimmick.

Ideally they'd just leave the hockey to be amateur only then stage a real World Cup tournament every four years in the early fall.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

I don't really have an interest in any country, so I don't care who wins. I do like to see any Bruins players play well, but I don't really plan on watching many games.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Shaun
beauty

gonna miss gymnastics and women's soccer.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Eh, I like the Winter Olympics more simply because of hockey, but I think if you take hockey out of the equation, the Summer Olympics blow the Winter Olympics out of the water. There's just so much more variety in the Summer.
It can be too much, though. One reason why I like the Winter Olympics is because less is more, IMHO.

Zach Parise models the U.S. opening ceremonies outfit. I like it, though I'm probably in the minority.

Old
01-23-2014, 05:58 PM
MioneRask134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It can be too much, though. One reason why I like the Winter Olympics is because less is more, IMHO.

Zach Parise models the U.S. opening ceremonies outfit. I like it, though I'm probably in the minority.

Zach could wear a moonsuit and I'd still think it would look good.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehockey33 View Post
I can't wait for the Olympics, I wish they had the winter Olympics every two years because I don't care for the summer ones. Skiing and hockey are always great.

It's crazy how many people are worried about terrorists though, I hope nothing happens.

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 15m
Patrice Bergeron said his wife won't be traveling to the Winter Games in Sochi due to the safety concerns amid bombing threats

Krejci: "you kinda don't know what you're getting into. I told my family not to go to (Sochi), but my mom wants to go...so I can't stop her"

What events are you looking forward to? Favorite athletes? I'm hoping Bode Miller medals a few more times before he retires.
I like many of the events (hockey and figure skating are my favorites) but I too am worried about the security there and hope all goes well.

My favorite athletes are the B's players.

I am not sure I would want my child to attend with all of the threats and concerns.

01-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I love everything. My son was born a month before the Lillehammer games in 94, so I was able to watch every moment. That was glorious.

The Village should be fine as far as security goes, but I can understand the players' concern about their families.
My daughter was born in Oct of 1979. She doesn't remember but she watched team USA hockey win the gold with me and my family. What an exciting time that was.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturk View Post
The Winter Games especially hockey brings back great memories. I worked at the Lake Placid Olympics and saw the USA-Russia game. I don't think there will ever be another sporting event that even comes close to the intensity of that game. I watched the whole thing unfold.
WOW Lucky you !!!

Old
01-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Woah just realized Suter and Parise aren't gonna play for US?

Don't really blame them seeing how all of the warfare that has been going on over there between Russia and Chechnya. Chechnya has been bombing Russia for quite some time now, sucks that it has to interfere with the Olympics.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
The hockey tournament is always good, and speed skating and curling are kind of fun to watch, but aside from that, it's really pretty stupid. A bunch of highly specialized sports that the common man would never participate in packaged up in some kind of nationalist competition.

It's basically the Mario Party of athletics. A bunch of mini-games that no one would play/watch if they stood on their own, but put it together into one event and you've got some kind of highly-rated gimmick.

Ideally they'd just leave the hockey to be amateur only then stage a real World Cup tournament every four years in the early fall.
Wow, I had no idea that growing up skating and cross-country skiing made me uncommon. That is so cool!

Old
01-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Woah just realized Suter and Parise aren't gonna play for US?

Don't really blame them seeing how all of the warfare that has been going on over there between Russia and Chechnya. Chechnya has been bombing Russia for quite some time now, sucks that it has to interfere with the Olympics.
What? Suter and Parise are playing. They told their families not to go, as several Bruins did. Unless I missed something?

Old
01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Madturk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
My daughter was born in Oct of 1979. She doesn't remember but she watched team USA hockey win the gold with me and my family. What an exciting time that was.
That's awesome. A lot of folks still think that the Russia game was the gold medal game. We had to beat a stubborn Finnish team the next day for the gold. I attended every US game except that game. It was just too anticlimactic for me after seeing us upset the Russians.

Old
01-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
What? Suter and Parise are playing. They told their families not to go, as several Bruins did. Unless I missed something?
Just saw on whatever channel 8 plays at 6:30 those two won't be participating due to safety reasons, I'm on my phone right now but I'll try and find a link later if I can find it.

Could be wrong but I'm just going by what I saw on TV.

EDIT- Nevermind I think you're right lol, they're families aren't going.

Old
01-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Just saw on whatever channel 8 plays at 6:30 those two won't be participating due to safety reasons, I'm on my phone right now but I'll try and find a link later if I can find it.

Could be wrong but I'm just going by what I saw on TV.

EDIT- Nevermind I think you're right lol, they're families aren't going.
Yeah, they're referring to their families. Here you go:

Quote:
Suter feels he will be protected within the confines of the Olympic venues. He worries about what might happen outside of the closed circle in which the athletes reside. As a result, Suter's family won't be in Russia to watch him. His wife would be traveling with their kids, which would be tough, but the threats made the decision to stay home an easier one.
http://msn.foxsports.com/north/story...threats-012314

Closed Thread