HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Matt Niskanen appreciation thread

View Poll Results: What to do with Nisky?
Trade him at TDL, we need those wingers badly 11 10.78%
Don´t trade him at TDL, we need him for this season. Don´t re-sign him, though 5 4.90%
Re-sign him but only if he wants less than 4M 66 64.71%
Re-sign him no matter what 20 19.61%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-09-2014, 04:11 PM
cygnus47

vCash: 500
The only issue I have with re-signing Nisky is that he has NEVER been a consistent performer. He's having a career year in a contract season, and that makes me a bit concerned. If I was confident that he would play like this year over year, then 4.5 - 5 mill is probably just under his value, but I don't know if I'd be willing to give him both term and dollars with his history. He's not dynamic enough to be inconsistent and get away with it, he looks VERY average when his confidence is down. 18 million over 4 years maybe?

cygnus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

So, should Shero start negotiations with him and keep him here? I would

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
joeyjake5

Who is a better value, over the hill Scuds at 4 yrs. at 3.3MM or Nisk at 4 yrs at 4-5MM. When did Scuds ever have more than 2 goals per year or a better than a 20 plus rating

joeyjake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Til the End of Time

pens should still wait and see how he plays this postseason before signing him long-term.

niskanen has been pretty stellar this season but its a contract year and he has a history of wilting in the playoffs.

seems kind of coincidental that he suddenly puts it all together in a contract year. especially since he had a reputation of a less-than-stellar work ethic in dallas, it seems pretty plausible that hes suddenly only trying now because its a contract year. wouldnt be surprised to see him revert back to form after he gets his payday.

although if niskanens play this season isnt a total abberation, letang becomes even more unneccessary and needs to be traded ASAP.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

I don't like Niskanen and we shouldn't bring him back

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
orby

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjake5 View Post
Who is a better value, over the hill Scuds at 4 yrs. at 3.3MM or Nisk at 4 yrs at 4-5MM. When did Scuds ever have more than 2 goals per year or a better than a 20 plus rating
I agree that Scuds is old and has too big a contract, but if goal scoring and plus-minus are the primary criteria you use to evaluate a defenseman you are barking up the wrong tree.

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:45 AM
joeyjake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
I agree that Scuds is old and has too big a contract, but if goal scoring and plus-minus are the primary criteria you use to evaluate a defenseman you are barking up the wrong tree.
Just based on performance this year, who would you want. Scuds or Nisk.

Scuds is not the Scuds of the Cup year, we are 5 years removed from that.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:10 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
So, should Shero start negotiations with him and keep him here? I would

If Shero hasn't started discussions yet (i.e. weeks or a couple of months ago), then he's an idiot.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:31 PM
cassius

Niskanen is going to get $5M/year, easily. Term might be long, but I still see him fetching those kind of dollars.

Wouldn't surprise me to see $6M.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Honour Over Glory

I wonder if those guys that hated him and wanted him gone last year are now voting to keep him, oh how quick things change.

I've been all for keeping the guy past this season, but please Shero not Orpik as well.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Niskanen is playing like a ****ing superstar. He´s leading the league in +/- and also in puck possession percentage (Scuderi being the worst in the league, btw). I would be OK with us giving him 5M x 5 Years. If his name wasn´t "Niskanen" you would think that guy is the TOP 15 D-man in this league. That´s how great he is this season.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Til the End of Time

so we are going to just ignore that he has conveniently put it all together in what happens to be a contract year?

Old
03-05-2014, 03:22 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
so we are going to just ignore that he has conveniently put it all together in what happens to be a contract year?

What people tend to forget very quickly on these boards (because of guys like Doughty, Letang, Karlsson, Maatta, etc.), is that those guys are exceptions, and Dmen USUALLY do not come into their own and really arrive until their late 20s.

So while I can appreciate any skepticism about any player performing well in a contract year, I don't believe this is the case with Niskanen. He's been very good and continually getting better since he's been here, and effort was never an issue. This season, contractual issues aside, seemed like a very organic and natural evolution of this player's development.

Given that I don't want to: sign Brooks, rush Pouliot, count chickens before they hatch with Letang returning (until we actually KNOW that he will); and with Scuderi being really only average, I absolutely want to re-sign Nisky.

As long as it's for less than $4.5/year, and doesn't contain a full NTC, I see no downside here with re-signing him.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:19 PM
catdaddy
Return Of The King

I like Nisky's play this year. I think a reality check via his performance come playoff time is critical. If he maintains the level of play he's shown during the regular season through the playoffs I think we need to sign him. He'll command Carle $ then, but if (and it's a big IF) Pens management can somehow find the good sense to jetison Orpik and consider Letang (when/if healthy) a trade chip for top 6 winger talent then keeping Nisky makes a lot of sense.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 05:38 PM
H382

Nisky has been a pleasant surprise all year. I cannot complain one bit about him. Arguably our best D-Man this year. Maatta being a close 2nd.

Who would have thought 6 months ago.

H382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
Since when does that matter? You see it happen all the time in sports, haha.

He's gonna get paid whether you like it or not. The Pens are getting a nice bargain on him this year..

Last edited by cassius: 03-05-2014 at 09:23 PM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Vega

Nisky is playing the best hockey of his career. I think the chances of him maintaining this level of play are very slim. There is no way I'd even flirt with the idea of paying him 4.5-5 million a year. No way.

What was the point of drafting all these young defensemen if you're not going to trust them to ever play?

Borts and Despres should be line up regulars every game next year.

Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:21 PM
joeyjake5

You have to resign him. Orpik should not be back, Letang is a big question mark due to medical issues, and Pouliout will spend next year in WBS.

The pairings next year should be

Maata NISY
Despres Martin
Borts and Dumulin/Harrington/Eng/Scuds

Old
03-05-2014, 10:40 PM
TNT87
BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H382 View Post
Nisky has been a pleasant surprise all year. I cannot complain one bit about him. Arguably our best D-Man this year. Maatta being a close 2nd.

Who would have thought 6 months ago.
Not me that's for sure.

After last season's abysmal performance in the playoffs I wanted him gone but to his credit he didn't carry that over to this year. He's been terrific and you can see the confidence he has in his game right now.

Now he needs to decide if he would like to stay or if offered a bigger contract to take it instead. He's in a good situation right now and I don't know if he would be able to handle a more pressured role being the top guy somewhere else. Even half way during the season I didn't think it was necessary for the Pens to keep him but I can't say that now. Of course it depends on how much he wants. If the money he wants can be given to a RW for Sid's line then I would rather go in that direction instead.

TNT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Til the End of Time

heres a question-- if niskanen struggles mightily in the playoffs (ie like last season), should the pens still sign him to a fairly hefty contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Since when does that matter? You see it happen all the time in sports, haha.

He's gonna get paid whether you like it or not. The Pens are getting a nice bargain on him this year..
let him get paid by somebody else then. not sure if you are insinuating this or not, but the pens dont "owe" him his payday because he was playing on a cheap deal.

Old
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
I think the best part is how quietly he's doing this. You still see the reaction from fans of other teams - "Matt Niskanen? HA!".
Matt has been the most dominant 5v5 defender in the NHL this season. That is not hyperbole or an opinion. He has been that good.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Fully admit I would have dumped him for a 2nd as recent as the start of the season. I can't believe how well he's playing. You can just tell his confidence is through the roof right now. Unfortunately I think he's priced himself out of town though. Hopefully I'm wrong and they find a way to keep him around.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 11:28 AM
mpp9

Unless re-signing him is followed by Letang being moved, I don't like the amount of money we'll be spending our defense. Especially when we have the opportunity to fill alot of holes up front. Kesler will be getting dangled at the draft. Goc and Stempniak look like fits and could likely be re-signed on similar deals. Kule has been a target of Shero's for awhile.

Letang and Martin are going to play ahead of him. Maatta should be a lock for the top 4. Which would then leave one of Scuds and Nisky as a pretty expensive bottom pairing D. And Despres still being buried on the depth chart.

I was in favor of keeping Nisky last summer. Thought he and Despres could make a contending caliber bottom pair. But Maatta has come along. And Nisky is due a 100% raise. Things change.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

He is most probably going to want to test UFA. Big payday for him coming. Not sure he would want to stay here at under or close to 4 million a year when I'm sure some team will offer 5+ per

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 12:13 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272*
Forgot About Sid

I'd trade him. He's playing so much better than any other season and his value is sky high compared to previous years. Too much risk that his play will drop off and he'll get comfortable after signing a nice deal.

We are rich at the blueline compared to forward depth (after the usuals).

PensBandwagonerNo272* is offline   Reply With Quote