HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks sign Vinny Prospal to AHL PTO [mod edit: he decided to retire]

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle1 View Post
What team do you root for because it is not the Canucks obviously lmao.

Higgins Santo and Garrison are ok. Booth...yea dump him.

Anyway....nice try to discredit the Canucks.
Discredit the Canucks? I know I shouldn't be replying to you because I've seen your posts before but I'm going to do it because I think if your going to be a long time poster you should at least know a few things about this lineup.

1. The 2011 model of this club was based on skill. Our second line consisted of Raymond, Kesler and Samuelsson. And they were beautiful to watch. Effortless passing and chemistry that was apparent every night. The Sedin's had a HEALTHY Burrows who were dominant every night. Ehrhoff, Edler and Salo were all SMART offensively. They read the play like a book and never forced shots unless they were wide open.

2. Higgins, Santorelli and Booth are all prime examples of all brawn and no brain. They couldn't see an opportunity to pass unless it's right under their nose. However, they do know where the net it because it's always in a fixed position. Because of this all they do is swing the puck on net whenever they have a chance effectively killing any chance at maintaining puck possession and setting up. They will never be more than third line players on a contender and quite frankly are streaky players.

3. Garrison. The same as the above. He was brought in to provide an offensive presence but has a poor presence of mind of knowing when to shoot and when not to. He enjoys blowing out the opponents knees and then frantically skating back on defence because a counter attack is formed off of his miscue.

4. Our entire core DOMINATED the league for a couple of years playing PUCK POSSESSION hockey. Gillis REMOVED the supporting cast that provided this type of play and threw in a bunch of players with a shoot first mentality.

TL;DR. Gillis removed our skilled, puck possession players and filled in the holes with mindless shoot-first zombies. I'm also a long time Canucks fan. But I don't put blind faith in players that I know are a poor fit for this club.

Old
01-23-2014, 11:48 PM
BlamBlam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberg Snipes View Post
We don't need to rebuild we need to retool majorly. Drop Higgins, Santorelli, Garrison, Booth and inject SKILL. We don't suck. All our top end players are suffering from depression because our GM gave away the talent that made us elite and brought in a bunch project grinders. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for them.
Higgins, Santorelli and Garrison are all fine players that work incredibly hard and do have talent. Booth is the one eating the cap space of what could be a talented player in his place.

Old
01-23-2014, 11:56 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Dustin Jeffery clears waivers on the same day the Canucks sign Vinnie Prospal. This proves, to me, that Gillis is in charge and Tortorella is incommunicado.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:15 AM
David71

he could help the canucks scoring woes a bit. powerplay. maybe ignite kesler?

Old
01-24-2014, 12:19 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I like Prospal but he is not exactly what the Canucks need.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:30 AM
massivegoonery

How can the Canucks sign a player to an AHL contract? Did they get relegated?

Old
01-24-2014, 12:31 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Yes, how horrible, he signed a veteran to an AHL tryout contract. The world is ending...
It's all Gillis fault either way, as Zack Kassian hasn't become a unicorn yet.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:32 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
You're in denial.
You're a troll.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:40 AM
canuck4life16

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
How can the Canucks sign a player to an AHL contract? Did they get relegated?
their AHL team did who is also owned by the canucks

Old
01-24-2014, 12:43 AM
John McClane

vCash: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
wait a sec, how was he not signed in the offseason?.

He had 30 points in 48 games. This could be another typical gillis signing, Now if he only knew how to trade
It astounds me how great Gillis is at signing, yet can't trade worth a damn (besides the Lapierre and Higgins trades of course. Those were absolute steals. Couldn't imagine what would of happened if he didn't pick those two up.)

Old
01-24-2014, 12:45 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Sigh. Just rebuild already.
Oh we are the next Calgary are we ?

How many Presidents or even divisionals did that Calgary team ever win ?

Old
01-24-2014, 01:08 AM
BoDacious Horvat

Will he be reporting to Utica this weekend or maybe next week?

Old
01-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Hammman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
It astounds me how great Gillis is at signing, yet can't trade worth a damn (besides the Lapierre and Higgins trades of course. Those were absolute steals. Couldn't imagine what would of happened if he didn't pick those two up.)
Ehrhoff? Not to mention the jury is still out on Kassian, and Dalpe/Welsh.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:52 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
like many have already stated, I'm surprised he hasn't signed before.

Retirement must have been too boring.

Old
01-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Demko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDacious Horvat View Post
Will he be reporting to Utica this weekend or maybe next week?
He's playing tomorrow in Abbotsford. Will wear #20.

Old
01-24-2014, 03:09 AM
Nucker101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
like many have already stated, I'm surprised he hasn't signed before.

Retirement must have been too boring.
Agreed, I thought that he might have gotten a nice KHl deal.

Prospal's Points/60 Mins Played at Even Strength Among NHL Fowards(min 20 GP, 10+ min AVG Ice time)

Last Year: 65th In League(Would have been 4th Among Canucks F)
2 Years Ago: 87th in League(Would have been 4th Among Canucks F)

Old
01-24-2014, 03:21 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Discredit the Canucks? I know I shouldn't be replying to you because I've seen your posts before but I'm going to do it because I think if your going to be a long time poster you should at least know a few things about this lineup.

1. The 2011 model of this club was based on skill. Our second line consisted of Raymond, Kesler and Samuelsson. And they were beautiful to watch. Effortless passing and chemistry that was apparent every night. The Sedin's had a HEALTHY Burrows who were dominant every night. Ehrhoff, Edler and Salo were all SMART offensively. They read the play like a book and never forced shots unless they were wide open.

2. Higgins, Santorelli and Booth are all prime examples of all brawn and no brain. They couldn't see an opportunity to pass unless it's right under their nose. However, they do know where the net it because it's always in a fixed position. Because of this all they do is swing the puck on net whenever they have a chance effectively killing any chance at maintaining puck possession and setting up. They will never be more than third line players on a contender and quite frankly are streaky players.
[B]
3. Garrison. The same as the above. He was brought in to provide an offensive presence but has a poor presence of mind of knowing when to shoot and when not to. He enjoys blowing out the opponents knees and then frantically skating back on defence because a counter attack is formed off of his miscue.
[B]
4. Our entire core DOMINATED the league for a couple of years playing PUCK POSSESSION hockey. Gillis REMOVED the supporting cast that provided this type of play and threw in a bunch of players with a shoot first mentality.

TL;DR. Gillis removed our skilled, puck possession players and filled in the holes with mindless shoot-first zombies. I'm also a long time Canucks fan. But I don't put blind faith in players that I know are a poor fit for this club.
Do you even hockey bro? Seriously this statement is so wrong it discredits your whole novel like post.
Garrison is known as a big shot on the PP, but more so as a quality defensive Dman. The real reason Garri was brought in was the massive hole in the lineup not having a Willie Mitchell type shut down guy. Someone you can put up against the big body net presence of the other team and not look over matched.

Sorry but as good as Hamhuis is, he's not a crease clearing Dman. He gets over matched by big guys like Backes Brown Thornton and so on. Making the PK mainly about defending down low while giving up lots of shots from up high. Meaning Lui who now plays deeper in his net is exposed up high more often. One of the main reasons the Canucks were a terrible PK tem against western competition.

Another lol is the idea of the Raymond Kesler Samuelsson line being an effortless passing line. If I recall, it would be Raymond hogs the puck, falls down somewhere in the offensive zone creating a turn over, forcing Kesler to play retriever and get it back to feed a static Samuelsson usually standing around the faceoff dot waiting for a shot that would 9/10 times hit the logo so perfectly, the tender wouldn't even have to make an effort of no rebound. The puck would just die and the play would stop.

The only part of this team that truly without a doubt lacks, is a D who can actually control the play. So you got one right

Old
01-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Devilish Predator

Surprised NJ didn't check him out

Old
01-24-2014, 03:25 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Dustin Jeffery clears waivers on the same day the Canucks sign Vinnie Prospal. This proves, to me, that Gillis is in charge and Tortorella is incommunicado.
What?

01-24-2014, 04:13 AM
Callum
All In

Makes sense with the Tortorello connection.

Old
01-24-2014, 04:14 AM
ohnoeszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyhoy42 View Post
Santorelli has been top 3 Canucks this season, so NO. Garrison / Higgins both have ntc, so NO.

Booth will likely be bought out in summer.

Need to trade Luongo, should have value after solid year and still wants to be dealt.

Booth / Luongo are keys to me, that opens up roughly 10 million in cap and cap goes up. Can make a real splash for a top 6 forward.
Handing Lack the starting job is extremely risky, and we'd still have to add a backup which would eat another 1-2 million. Luongo's contract is fantastic cap-wise, particularly with the cap going up (causing goalie contracts to go up... didn't Steve Mason just get over 4 million a year for a decent half year?). For the duration of Lack's current contract, there may not be a team in the league getting better performance for what they pay.

Furthermore, teams are going to get shafted this year in free agency. EVERYONE will have cap room. The amount of players deserving of that cap room is not going to be any different than any other year, but the cap space to spend is going to be over-abundant because of this year's artificially low ceiling. Clearing a quality player like Luongo to participate in the poopshow that will be the upcoming free agency period is a fool's errand.

10 million in cap space for UFA wouldn't produce anything but overpaid under-performers. Cap space will be better spent taking contracts from thrifty teams for talent(like the Erhoff deal).

Quote:

1. What? That second line was never great and its production was never due to great passing. It used speed and a dynamic shooter.

2. Santorelli has shown to be one of the better passers on the team. He's set Kesler up with some glorious opportunities, particularly on the rush. He passes well with the Sedins too and they maintain puck possession, but he just isn't the finisher they need. Higgins is an excellent 7th forward. That we need him to be more isn't a knock on him. Even then, he's done well on the 2nd line - he's one of our top goalscorers. He isn't a great puck-handler but he's a quality intelligent player. I'm not going to defend Booth. He really is an idiot. The point is the other two should never be lumped in with him.

3. Garrison's issue isn't intelligence. In fact he's extremely intelligent given how far he has made it with the obvious issues in his game. He has a poor stride because his body is over committed to his left. That's why he can't puck handle or use his back-hand. That is why he continues to rely on his shot - its not a lack of creativity, its a lack of being able to move in a way to implement such creativity on the game effectively. If he were to try and skate with the puck he'd be an awful turnover machine. He knows that and that's why he bases his game around his shot - so he can simplify the game and force the defense to move without moving himself. His shot is a weapon but he shouldn't be the main defenseman on the powerplay - Campbell always was for Florida.

4. I somewhat agree with this. I prefer puck possession hockey, but the grittier style we are moving towards is successful as well.

I think the real issue behind the step back the Canucks have taken from the NHL's top ranks has most to do with cap ramifications and a gap in quality youth caused by the management before Gillis. Canucks fans panic about decline because they, like many people too often do, view a step in one direction as a continuous trending slope in that direction.

Being just a playoff team is a perfectly acceptable thing as long as there is a way back to the top. A 1-2 year lull while youth is integrated and developed should be acceptable to the fanbase, particularly since this is exactly what management has said it would do... And it is a strategy being shown as successful right now by San Jose who everyone said was done and headed for a rebuild 1-2 years ago. It has simply been an impossibility this year to supplement the team with free agents/trades because of the cap crunch.

Closed Thread