HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/23: Rangers visit the zoo

View Poll Results: 3 stars
Byron Boy 1 2.27%
Brassard 0 0%
3rd line grinder Callahan 0 0%
Carcillo 0 0%
Hagelin 0 0%
Kreider 0 0%
Dom Moore 0 0%
Rick Jesus Nash 23 52.27%
Benny Poos 1 2.27%
Richie 0 0%
Stepan 0 0%
The Real Zuke 3 6.82%
Dan Jaroodi 0 0%
Ryan McDonagh 0 0%
Hollywood actor Kevin Kline 2 4.55%
Mark Stall 0 0%
Anton Stralman 4 9.09%
John Moore 1 2.27%
Henrik Lundqvist 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
In no way Iím blaming the Refs for the lose. You just have to be that much better to win. I will always post when Mike Hasenfratz or Dean Morton Ref a game. Iíll remind everyone about the game in Chicago on 1-16-09. On that night, Hasenfratz and Morton called 12 penalties on the Rangers. How we won that game still amazes me. Tonight Hasencrap was teamed with Kyle Rehman. Rehman made all the calls except the hooking call on Stralman. Hasencrap stared right at Krieder when he was crushed behind the net with the butt end of the stick. When we got the PP at the end of the second period and when Zuc was crosschecked in the third, the calls were made by Rehman at the other end of the ice. Hasencrap was looking at each play. Which Mr. Hasenfratz will show the next time.
One more thing. Shattenkirk got tapped on the LEFT glove, acted like he was shot and 9 seconds later scored the game winner, He was shown shaking his RIGHT glove on the bench. The New Rochelle kid got away with it. Fooled Rehman. I canít enjoy watching games, when this stuff goes on.
The only problem I had was the no call on the Backes/Krieder head shot. Other than that, I had zero problems with the Refs tonight.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:36 PM
PurpleHayes
90 Years of Blue

vCash: 50
Personally think Sather is just trying to make a team with a bunch of band aids and get a "quick cup" just retire already Sather it's clearly not working

PurpleHayes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:38 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
In Stepan's case? Athleticism. He doesn't have it. He has the think speed(most of the time..he does suffer from indecisiveness at times). Thats what holding him back. His lack of skating is fine against lesser defensive pairings but against top units he is going to get exposed.

Nash/Krieder opens up plenty of space but steps poor skating never allows him to take advantage of it.

Thats also not taking into account his poor performances in the playoffs. But, I'm not going to hold him to the fire on that one considering I think he has been slotted over his head.
It's difficult for me to buy in to the idea that a professional athelete's achilles heal is his athleticism. He's not fast, but he's not getting circles skated around him. I just don't see his foot speed as impeding Nash or Kreider. I definitely agree with the indecisiveness, and if you ask me that's the biggest hinderance to his game, but I can't remember a time where I was like--man, if only Stepan were faster that play could've been something. And the playoffs to me are a year by year thing for any player. Certain guys I'll buy into the clutch thing (Briere, wtf seriously), but the playoffs for me are where individual stats become less and less relevant. Scoring is down for everyone, and it's about team efforts.

TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:38 PM
LORENZO

Sorry guys I went to the game, 3rd game, 3rd loss.

I go home on Sunday though, so we'll win against the devils...

LORENZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:39 PM
NCRanger
Bettman's Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
With all the teeth-gnashing over this game, nobody has mentioned how soft the first goal was, and how the Rangers had many better scoring opportunities.

Thought they over-passed the puck too much, or looked for the perfect shot too much instead of putting it on net. Halak made some nice saves, was off-balance an awful lot. Maybe one reason their home record is pretty crappy is trying to be a slick-passing team on terrible home ice. On better ice, their passing works better, thus a good road record.

BTW, I thought John Moore looked much more comfortable and confident tonight, even if he holds the puck too long.
THANK YOU! FINALLY! Someone else sees the ice as an issue.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone stole hank View Post
Personally think Sather is just trying to make a team with a bunch of band aids and get a "quick cup" just retire already Sather it's clearly not working
I think thats unfair. We are in a transitional year that needs to retool the roster to fit AV's system. Its going to take time. As long as Sather is able to get rid of most of the dead weight before next season starts, it will be productive.

I think the team is doing fine in all honesty.

Old
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone stole hank View Post
The teams seem to be so good.. blues kings ducks etc. It just seems that the west is going to dominate us for a long time... so it won't matter if we even make the playoffs...we won't win anything.. I say tank and build a team like the ducks
Or we may end up building a team like the Oilers.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
varanger94

Quote:
The only problem I had was the no call on the Backes/Krieder head shot. Other than that, I had zero problems with the Refs tonight.
Like I said, I'm not blaming the Refs for the lose. I am however pointing out what a piece of garbage Hasenfratz is.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyH View Post
It's difficult for me to buy in to the idea that a professional athelete's achilles heal is his athleticism. He's not fast, but he's not getting circles skated around him. I just don't see his foot speed as impeding Nash or Kreider. I definitely agree with the indecisiveness, and if you ask me that's the biggest hinderance to his game, but I can't remember a time where I was like--man, if only Stepan were faster that play could've been something. And the playoffs to me are a year by year thing for any player. Certain guys I'll buy into the clutch thing (Briere, wtf seriously), but the playoffs for me are where individual stats become less and less relevant. Scoring is down for everyone, and it's about team efforts.
Well, I think its a major problem for Step and I think its significant enough that it will limit him as a first line center. Its pretty obvious on the Rush is often two or even three strides behind the play. He has no explosiveness which makes him way too cautious for his own good entering the zone(so he doesn't get caught).

He simply cannot take control of a game with any type of consistency. Thats what a first line center needs to do. Especially with the line mates that Step has.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

Just saw that 1st goal. Jesus Lundqvist! The guy is giving up fewer goals but can he stop with the ****ing softies. Halak a much worse goalie only gave up one goal that was perfect.

How are people losing their minds. That goal was part luck part Lundqvist and that was pretty much the difference in the game. You'd think we lost 10-0.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm just gonna title my next PGT "Callahan bashing thread" because that's what they all turn into.
The idiocy of the the fluid opinion on players has really been highlighted with this.

Last year, Stepan was supposedly better than Backstrom. This year, you'd think John Scott could outskate him.

Less than a year ago, Henrik Lundqvist was the best goaltender in the world. This year, he's being treated like Bryz

Callahan, the team's most versatile player by a ****ing mile, who's gone from being a player who was supposed to top out as a 3rd line energy player and managed to make himself into a 50+ point Captain who is counted on to provide offense, defense, leadership, physicality, powerplay points, penalty killing, and every other intangible under the sun, and these ****ing brain surgeons are suggesting trading him for what would inevitably be a low pick and B prospect, with ZERO possible replacement for what he brings.

Who's the replacement for the 2nd line wing? Zucc? I love the Hobbit, but he has proven exactly nothing over the course of a full season. Expecting him to step into that role is placing expectations upon him apropos of nearly nothing.

But this is the same board that near unanimously begged for our leading point scorer to be bought out last year so that our only two serviceable centers would be the now out-of-fashion Stepan and Derrick "Trade Bait" Brassard.

I honestly think of putting half of this board on ignore sometimes.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
LORENZO

I think we missed Del Zotto.

LORENZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:47 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:
Well, I think its a major problem for Step and I think its significant enough that it will limit him as a first line center. Its pretty obvious on the Rush is often two or even three strides behind the play. He has no explosiveness which makes him way too cautious for his own good entering the zone(so he doesn't get caught).

He simply cannot take control of a game with any type of consistency. Thats what a first line center needs to do. Especially with the line mates that Step has.
I guess that's where you and I disagree. There are very few centers in the game today that I expect to take control of games consistently--if we mean the same thing by that statement. Not every first line center has to be a superstar. In my opinion, Stepan last season was about as much as you can reasonably expect of a first line center, and that he was at that level last year, tells me he can play at that level.

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
The idiocy of the the fluid opinion on players has really been highlighted with this.

Last year, Stepan was supposedly better than Backstrom. This year, you'd think John Scott could outskate him.

Less than a year ago, Henrik Lundqvist was the best goaltender in the world. This year, he's being treated like Bryz

Callahan, the team's most versatile player by a ****ing mile, who's gone from being a player who was supposed to top out as a 3rd line energy player and managed to make himself into a 50+ point Captain who is counted on to provide offense, defense, leadership, physicality, powerplay points, penalty killing, and every other intangible under the sun, and these ****ing brain surgeons are suggesting trading him for what would inevitably be a low pick and B prospect, with ZERO possible replacement for what he brings.

Who's the replacement for the 2nd line wing? Zucc? I love the Hobbit, but he has proven exactly nothing over the course of a full season. Expecting him to step into that role is placing expectations upon him apropos of nearly nothing.

But this is the same board that near unanimously begged for our leading point scorer to be bought out last year so that our only two serviceable centers would be the now out-of-fashion Stepan and Derrick "Trade Bait" Brassard.

Whoever said that last year is an idiot. Backstrom has been almost point per game player in his career.

Old
Machinehead
#Fakestats

Quote:

Quality rant sir. Very quality rant.

Ben Hutton is my Spirit Animal. Jeff Gorton is not.
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Whoever said that last year is an idiot. Backstrom has been almost point per game player in his career.
If you're so inclined, look up the series talk from our playoff series with the Caps last year.

About 2/3rds of it is Stepan VS Backstrom

Old
01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:

Well said.

Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

I thought Hagelin was really really bad tonight in his decision making with the puck. There were so many times where he tried to do something cute and caused a turnover instead of just playing his usual game.

when our guys think they are better than they are, you see a lot of crap like this.

our PP was also trying to be WAAAYY too cute.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
If you're so inclined, look up the series talk from our playoff series with the Caps last year.

Oh I'm not doubting you. Its idiotic irregardless.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Machinehead
#Fakestats

Quote:

To be fair, the Caps fans in those threads deserved all the ball-busting they got.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I thought Hagelin was really really bad tonight in his decision making with the puck. There were so many times where he tried to do something cute and caused a turnover instead of just playing his usual game.

when our guys think they are better than they are, you see a lot of crap like this.

our PP was also trying to be WAAAYY too cute.
Heh, if you want to get the most of Hagelin/Cally on the same line; you need a guy like Brandon Dubinsky centering that line. A guy who can play smash mouth along the boards. That isn't Richards game. You want to get the most out of Richards? You need two big guys who have hands and vision.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Oh I'm not doubting you. Its idiotic irregardless.
I agree. Despite your use of the term irregardless ::

Quote:
To be fair, the Caps fans in those threads deserved all the ball-busting they got.
I also agree. Especially NAME REDACTED. He'd have you think every Caps player is a golden god and that every Ranger is a headhunting, diving scrub.

Old
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Officer Friendly
Got Nothin To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Maybe so. The records of teams like Anaheim, St. Louis, Boston, LA, etc. certainly speak to that. Tonight was just another example of the Rangers not being cut out for that challenge, and not really on a path to do so either.
I would not completely say that they aren't on the path to challenge considering the first goal was a fluke and then they held them to one more

Officer Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:56 PM
trilobyte

Quote:

Are people really suggesting that? Phrasing it that way is not exactly accurate in representing the flux of the situation. Although it is hard to trust Sather's decisions when the lure is a 'anything can happen' playoff run, in no way should the Rangers make Callahan untouchable. There are various factors involved, and this is only January. Things could be quite different as the trade deadline approaches.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Holocene

Quote:
I'm just gonna title my next PGT "Callahan bashing thread" because that's what they all turn into.
Well, he's been pretty meh lately but really Hagelin is the one people should be complaining about. Completely useless off the PK because he cannot make or receive a simple pass and has not been winning board battles with his agility. Only really notice him when he's trying to negate an icing which doesn't work anymore because of the hybrid icing.

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote