HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal Thread XIX: MacT Watches BJ's in Columbus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2014, 10:07 PM
  #1
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,728
vCash: 500
Proposal Thread XIX: MacT Watches BJ's in Columbus

Continue with the wild and whacky proposals here!

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:08 PM
  #2
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Instead of us trying to get two 18 year olds, why don't we use that kind of opportunity to take a good player from Buffalo for the 2nd overall pick?

"Hey Buffalo, so you're taking Ekblad....that's great, but maybe you'd want Reinhart too. How about flipping us Ehrhoff at 2M reduced cap hit? Sure you have recapture risk, but you're getting Reinhart for your risk, which is a pretty good bargain. Maybe throw in something else as well"

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:15 PM
  #3
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Instead of us trying to get two 18 year olds, why don't we use that kind of opportunity to take a good player from Buffalo for the 2nd overall pick?

"Hey Buffalo, so you're taking Ekblad....that's great, but maybe you'd want Reinhart too. How about flipping us Ehrhoff at 2M reduced cap hit? Sure you have recapture risk, but you're getting Reinhart for your risk, which is a pretty good bargain. Maybe throw in something else as well"
Not to pull a full Lowe and literally learn nothing from 7 years of rebuilding, but I'm going to venture that 4 (?) years of "elite" play from Ehrhoff on a team that will probably squander those years away (at least 2) with suckage is probably not worth the potential shoring-up of our second biggest need, a decent second line/first line centre.

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:15 PM
  #4
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Instead of us trying to get two 18 year olds, why don't we use that kind of opportunity to take a good player from Buffalo for the 2nd overall pick?

"Hey Buffalo, so you're taking Ekblad....that's great, but maybe you'd want Reinhart too. How about flipping us Ehrhoff at 2M reduced cap hit? Sure you have recapture risk, but you're getting Reinhart for your risk, which is a pretty good bargain. Maybe throw in something else as well"
I fail to see any reasonable logic behind trading a top 3 pick for a 31 year old #2 defenseman even if his cap hit is reduced. I like Ehrhoff, but that's just flat out dumb.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:17 PM
  #5
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Instead of us trying to get two 18 year olds, why don't we use that kind of opportunity to take a good player from Buffalo for the 2nd overall pick?

"Hey Buffalo, so you're taking Ekblad....that's great, but maybe you'd want Reinhart too. How about flipping us Ehrhoff at 2M reduced cap hit? Sure you have recapture risk, but you're getting Reinhart for your risk, which is a pretty good bargain. Maybe throw in something else as well"
Yuck and poo. This is just gross.

Lewy is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:20 PM
  #6
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,150
vCash: 580
The Jack Johnson hate on here is ridiculous. And bringing up the stats from 2007-2013 really proves what? That JJ was a young developing defencemen during that period?

raab is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:20 PM
  #7
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Not to pull a full Lowe and literally learn nothing from 7 years of rebuilding, but I'm going to venture that 4 (?) years of "elite" play from Ehrhoff on a team that will probably squander those years away (at least 2) with suckage is probably not worth the potential shoring-up of our second biggest need, a decent second line/first line centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I fail to see any reasonable logic behind trading a top 3 pick for a 31 year old #2 defenseman even if his cap hit is reduced. I like Ehrhoff, but that's just flat out dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Yuck and poo. This is just gross.
Well, how about just not improving the D, drafting another small C, and then having to trade from our zero depth in a risky ass move.

I don't know how else you expect to get a D-man without moving Eberle, Yakupov, Hall or RNH. Yak won't return you much, because the entire league thinks he's a giant enigma right now. Eberle leaves you with a gaping hole on the RW side, so have fun filling that up somehow.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:21 PM
  #8
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Instead of us trying to get two 18 year olds, why don't we use that kind of opportunity to take a good player from Buffalo for the 2nd overall pick?

"Hey Buffalo, so you're taking Ekblad....that's great, but maybe you'd want Reinhart too. How about flipping us Ehrhoff at 2M reduced cap hit? Sure you have recapture risk, but you're getting Reinhart for your risk, which is a pretty good bargain. Maybe throw in something else as well"
Buffalo would make sure it wasnt a prank call and then quickly accept before laughing themselves into a fit.

Buffalo would have a disgusting D corps in 3 years tho:

Ekblad Ristolainen
Myers Zadorov
Pysyk McCabe
Mcnabb

(unsure on which side)

topchowda is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:23 PM
  #9
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Well, how about just not improving the D, drafting another small C, and then having to trade from our zero depth in a risky ass move.

I don't know how else you expect to get a D-man without moving Eberle, Yakupov, Hall or RNH. Yak won't return you much, because the entire league thinks he's a giant enigma right now. Eberle leaves you with a gaping hole on the RW side, so have fun filling that up somehow.
Could draft Bennett

Also fine with Yakupov/Hemsky.

topchowda is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:26 PM
  #10
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Could draft Bennett

Also fine with Yakupov/Hemsky.
True, on the Bennett point. I just worry about plugging him in right away, I mean, look at Barkov. Not beating the world or anything. How long is it going to take him to develop? How is adding another 18 year old helping our experience issue or anything for that matter other than the future?

As for Yak/Hemsky, I'm kinda OK with it, but the Hemsky hate here is ridiculous and neither are putting up real top six numbers right now (Ales kinda is) so we'd have to add another RW or take a major risk with having that side being kinda crappy in the short run.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:26 PM
  #11
Pablo Aimar
Registered User
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The Jack Johnson hate on here is ridiculous. And bringing up the stats from 2007-2013 really proves what? That JJ was a young developing defencemen during that period?
Jack Johnson is one of the worst players in the NHL. Even Cody Franson is better and he also sucks.

Pablo Aimar is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:27 PM
  #12
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Well, how about just not improving the D, drafting another small C, and then having to trade from our zero depth in a risky ass move.

I don't know how else you expect to get a D-man without moving Eberle, Yakupov, Hall or RNH. Yak won't return you much, because the entire league thinks he's a giant enigma right now. Eberle leaves you with a gaping hole on the RW side, so have fun filling that up somehow.
So the Oilers should do something incredibly stupid before the draft instead of waiting until free agency? If free agency fails that's when you explore the trade route. Not to mention; a) You have no idea how Yak is viewed around the league b) the players available in the draft aren't small centers. Reinhart (6'1 185), Bennett (6'0 180), Draisaitl (6'2 200), Dal Colle (C/LW 6'2 170) are all going to fill out and maybe have some growing left. You don't pass on any of them unless you're getting someone with more than 3-4 good years left.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:30 PM
  #13
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
So the Oilers should do something incredibly stupid before the draft instead of waiting until free agency? If free agency fails that's when you explore the trade route. Not to mention; a) You have no idea how Yak is viewed around the league b) the players available in the draft aren't small centers. Reinhart (6'1 185), Bennett (6'0 180), Draisaitl (6'2 200), Dal Colle (C/LW 6'2 170) are all going to fill out and maybe have some growing left. You don't pass on any of them unless you're getting someone with more than 3-4 good years left.
Whose available in free agency? 5M Andrew MacDonald? Girardi isn't making it, Boyle isn't signing here, Markov is old as hell and wouldn't help IMO (also not signing here, we aren't contending)

so....Niskanen? Nikitin? Meszaros? Is this the plan on D? That's awful. Not to mention Niskanen either won't leave Pittsburgh or get super overpaid.

Also should be fun exploring the non existent trade route that exists once the free agency dust settles. At least non-existent for D-men, that is. I don't know who's moving their No.1 or No.2 D-men unless they have gross baggage, like cough Jack Johnson cough.

I don't know what Oiler fans expect on D....Ekblad I guess. Otherwise, fun times. You can either take the 3-4 great years that Ehrhoff has left or spend those years developing yet another 18 year old and then once he's ready, you have Hall/Ebs needing new deals. Preference I guess. I have time for 18 year olds, don't get me wrong, but I thought part of the problem was the rebuild was going too long here...

Plus, you could have Buffalo throw in, say, Pysyk+ with Ehrhoff.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:38 PM
  #14
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
True, on the Bennett point. I just worry about plugging him in right away, I mean, look at Barkov. Not beating the world or anything. How long is it going to take him to develop? How is adding another 18 year old helping our experience issue or anything for that matter other than the future?

As for Yak/Hemsky, I'm kinda OK with it, but the Hemsky hate here is ridiculous and neither are putting up real top six numbers right now (Ales kinda is) so we'd have to add another RW or take a major risk with having that side being kinda crappy in the short run.
If we had the #2 pick and Buffalo had the #1, I wonder if a Yakupov for #2 pick would make sense.

Buffalo is stacked on D prospects and also has some good young centers in the system (Grigs,Girgs,Hodgson) and needs a game breaker. Yaukpov and Girgenko could keep either company.

Edmonton gets the top 2 picks, they pick Ekblad (send him to junior) and Bennett.

Oilers arent really set back that much as Yakupov is still young and would be learning next year anyway. Oilers get a great young center who fits great behind RNH. Send him down to the CHL so we avoid the mess Monahan is in right now.

Defense isnt really fixed right now, but that can be addressed in the off-season with signing Girardi or Nikitin, trading Eberle for a D, and signing Kulemin (hole at RW)

topchowda is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:38 PM
  #15
Lewy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
I think we just all need to accept that this team is going to be awful for at least another two years. The sooner you accept it the less painful it will be. Trading top draft picks for aging players isn't going to improve anything

Lewy is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:40 PM
  #16
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,150
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
Jack Johnson is one of the worst players in the NHL. Even Cody Franson is better and he also sucks.
If you say so....

raab is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:41 PM
  #17
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,370
vCash: 500
Ekblad might be the Oilers only shot at getting a true top pairing RHD to play with Nurse. That would be a solid top pairing for many years.

Would any of the 2015 1st, Petry, Klefbom, Marincin be of interest to the Sabres?

Plus as I mentioned earlier, what if Yak still has issues and wants out of town? Would you consider moving Yak for Ekblad?

Powder is online now  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:41 PM
  #18
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=topchowda;78635227]If we had the #2 pick and Buffalo had the #1, I wonder if a Yakupov for #2 pick would make sense.
[QUOTE]

Seeing as Bob MacKenzie said that the best players in the draft could have ceilings of #2 C or 2/3 D, trading Yakupov for a #2 pick would be awful.

Neatman is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:42 PM
  #19
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Whose available in free agency? 5M Andrew MacDonald? Girardi isn't making it, Boyle isn't signing here, Markov is old as hell and wouldn't help IMO (also not signing here, we aren't contending)

so....Niskanen? Nikitin? Meszaros? Is this the plan on D? That's awful. Not to mention Niskanen either won't leave Pittsburgh or get super overpaid.

Also should be fun exploring the non existent trade route that exists once the free agency dust settles. At least non-existent for D-men, that is.

I don't know what Oiler fans expect on D....Ekblad I guess. Otherwise, fun times. You can either take the 3-4 great years that Ehrhoff has left or spend those years developing yet another 18 year old and then once he's ready, you have Hall/Ebs needing new deals. Preference I guess.


Markov's "old as hell" but trading a top 3 pick for someone 3 and a half years younger is something you're throwing out.

Do you think Buffalo is honestly expecting that much for Ehrhoff? You could get Ehrhoff for much cheaper. Byfuglien is available, Nashville has a plethora of defenseman with limited offense so there could be something there, Jack Johnson, Alex Edler..

I would rather overpay Girardi, Niskanen, Markov, Boyle or sign a stop gap like Zidlicky or Robidas then make a trade like that.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:46 PM
  #20
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Neatman;78635501][QUOTE=topchowda;78635227]If we had the #2 pick and Buffalo had the #1, I wonder if a Yakupov for #2 pick would make sense.
Quote:

Seeing as Bob MacKenzie said that the best players in the draft could have ceilings of #2 C or 2/3 D, trading Yakupov for a #2 pick would be awful.
I would trust our scouts to make the call. If Bennett starts to look like a potential Toews ( I havent watch a second of Bennett except for Highlights), id do it. But if hes over hyped and a 2/3c, no way

topchowda is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:47 PM
  #21
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post


Markov's "old as hell" but trading a top 3 pick for someone 3 and a half years younger is something you're throwing out.

Do you think Buffalo is honestly expecting that much for Ehrhoff? You could get Ehrhoff for much cheaper. Byfuglien is available, Nashville has a plethora of defenseman with limited offense so there could be something there, Jack Johnson, Alex Edler..

I would rather overpay Girardi, Niskanen, Markov, Boyle or sign a stop gap like Zidlicky or Robidas then make a trade like that.
Markov plays old though, like slow (might get exposed on big ice in Russia). Ehrhoff plays like a horse still. But hey, hit the Sabres board, tell me what they want for Ehrhoff. If they want less than the pick, then I'm on board.

Byfuglien will take Eberle, something that may not be in our best interest (especially with fitness Eakins), Nashville has ONE limited offense D in Josi so you're dreaming if you think he's gone, Johnson is awful, Edler is having a rough year and you're trading useful assets to our division rival. Markov/Boyle/Zidlicky have been paid throughout their career, they are going to a contender. Girardi is still re-signing well ahead of July 1. I'm not overpaying Niskanen because of one good year, and not overpaying Robidas coming off a serious injury.

Before you overpay Markov, keep in mind the knee surgery troubles he went through, and how at age 35, that it could happen again and very well be career ending on his next one.

Paralyzer008 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:48 PM
  #22
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post


Markov's "old as hell" but trading a top 3 pick for someone 3 and a half years younger is something you're throwing out.

Do you think Buffalo is honestly expecting that much for Ehrhoff? You could get Ehrhoff for much cheaper. Byfuglien is available, Nashville has a plethora of defenseman with limited offense so there could be something there, Jack Johnson, Alex Edler..

I would rather overpay Girardi, Niskanen, Markov, Boyle or sign a stop gap like Zidlicky or Robidas then make a trade like that.
That would be a solid top pairing and give the Oil some real experience for a few years while the young guys develop in the system. Plus bumping Ference, Petry, Schultz etc down a couple spots would be good for everyone involved.

Edit: I should have added, as mentioned above, sadly I highly doubt they make it to free agency as much as I'd like the Oil to sign them.

Powder is online now  
Old
01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
  #23
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,051
vCash: 226
I also think a defense like this:

Zidlicky - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Ference - Greene

Wouldn't be bad at all. Point is, it's not smart to make moves like that before we know if we need to be desperate or not.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 11:06 PM
  #24
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,017
vCash: 500
Wish list:
Boone Jenner, Ryan Johansen

Most likely to get:
Cam Atkison or Blake Comeau.

Columbus is actually quite a big team with a lot of offensively capable two-way players. They will be a hard team to play against in the playoffs if they make it.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 11:10 PM
  #25
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Instead of us trying to get two 18 year olds, why don't we use that kind of opportunity to take a good player from Buffalo for the 2nd overall pick?

"Hey Buffalo, so you're taking Ekblad....that's great, but maybe you'd want Reinhart too. How about flipping us Ehrhoff at 2M reduced cap hit? Sure you have recapture risk, but you're getting Reinhart for your risk, which is a pretty good bargain. Maybe throw in something else as well"
I just do not get people's obsession with borderline top pairing defenders like Erhoff. You don't trade potential game breakers for good players.

Trafalgar Law is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.