HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Thread XIX: MacT Watches BJ's in Columbus

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2014, 01:02 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
You don't know how we expect to get a D without giving an Eberle/Yak, well I'm wondering how you expect to improve the team if you're going to worry about things like vertigo, foot speed, past injury problems, compete level and previous coaches? Christ.

Sorry paralyzer. I usually don't agree with you and nothing you are saying here is changing that.

They have played together before. Have you ever seen them get walked all over? I haven't. Usually I see them at their best when they are together.
They've dominated teams with their skill at times, been subpar at best defensively as a whole, and get run out of the rink physically when the games actually matter. They have some pretty goals sometimes I guess.

Old
01-24-2014, 01:02 AM
Burnt Biscuits

I feel like raab is getting picked on a bit, and I have to say when I watch Jack Johnson, he has every tool that you'd want an elite defensemen to have and I though really highly of him for his play at the WJC in his younger days. The problem with him is and always has been his ability to read and react to the play appropriately, would we have a better time getting him to learn to play the right way? I doubt it and I'm not in favour of getting him, but there was a time and a place that I thought of Phaneuf in very much that same vain, he had the tools to be an elite defenseman but a 10 cent brain to go along with it, that has changed over the years and he has matured into a solid top pairing option. Jack Johnson is getting pretty long in tooth so if he is going to "get it" you'd think it would be in the next 1-2 years.

Sometimes it's a gamble worth taking; in this case I'm guessing it's not, but I've been proven wrong before and Jack Johnson might do it again.

Old
01-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Rawg
CEM

lolthreadtitle

Old
01-24-2014, 02:44 AM
rockinghockey

If they can get Niskanen they should also Nikitan we need NHL experience dmen

Old
01-24-2014, 02:49 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
lolthreadtitle

Old
01-24-2014, 02:55 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
lolthreadtitle
Had no idea MacT was into that sort of thing..

Old
01-24-2014, 02:56 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
People are still putting up Eberle in trade proposals... won't happen no way... no how.

Hall/RNH/Eberle are all untouchables* (asterisk for those ridiculous situations that would never happen like Stamkos or Malkin wanting to move to Edmonton to hunt bears in the summer).

Look at it logically as well... chance of Hemsky finally being moved is probably 95%+ (I know we say that every year... but this year it will finally happen)... and Yak spends just as much time in the doghouse and 3rd/4th lines as he does in the top 6.

So you trade Eberle away and who becomes the go to guy on RW? Not Sam Gagner because he's likely headed out as well... so I guess that leaves someone like Ryan Jones (if he's here) permanently in the top 6.

Trading Eberle instantly makes the right side a weakness whereas it's one of the few areas of relative strength on the team now.

I guess it would make sense trading him if the Oilers wanted to have an equal amount of thin depth at every position... re-balance the suck so to speak... but looking at it logically Eberle is going nowhere anytime soon.

Old
01-24-2014, 03:34 AM
rockinghockey

The fourth period has some articles about EDM looking to make some trades I don't know how to paste from my iphone

Old
01-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
People are still putting up Eberle in trade proposals... won't happen no way... no how.

Hall/RNH/Eberle are all untouchables* (asterisk for those ridiculous situations that would never happen like Stamkos or Malkin wanting to move to Edmonton to hunt bears in the summer).

Look at it logically as well... chance of Hemsky finally being moved is probably 95%+ (I know we say that every year... but this year it will finally happen)... and Yak spends just as much time in the doghouse and 3rd/4th lines as he does in the top 6.

So you trade Eberle away and who becomes the go to guy on RW? Not Sam Gagner because he's likely headed out as well... so I guess that leaves someone like Ryan Jones (if he's here) permanently in the top 6.

Trading Eberle instantly makes the right side a weakness whereas it's one of the few areas of relative strength on the team now.

I guess it would make sense trading him if the Oilers wanted to have an equal amount of thin depth at every position... re-balance the suck so to speak... but looking at it logically Eberle is going nowhere anytime soon.
Hmm. Seems you're forgetting about a first overall pick who has the best shot on the team already and is getting ousted by the media and the org little by little...

If the team does not trade Eberle they're ****ing braindead bottom line.

Last edited by Philly85: 01-24-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old
01-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Oilfan2
13.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Hmm. Seems you're forgetting about a first overall pick who has the best shot on the team already and is getting ousted by the media and the team little by little...

If the team does not trade Eberle they're ****ing braindead bottom line.
What a stupid, ***** thing to say.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Moose Coleman

I had no idea JJ was 27. If he's that old and still hasn't gotten it yet, he never will.

If he comes to Edmonton, he'll be the new whipping boy in very short order.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:25 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Getting fed up with the main board and the idea that we would be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for Gagner

Old
01-24-2014, 09:26 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Looking at the free agent class, we're going to have a tough time fixing the blueline without moving the likes of Gagner or Perron in a trade.

As Stauffer said, I believe hte Oilers will go hard after some forward in free agency and then deal "3 of the top 7" forwards for help on the backend.

Realistic guys who might sign here:

-Nik Kulemin...I'd think we would have a decent shot although we'd have to probably pay him Stalberg money.
-Steve Ott....29 other teams will be after him too but I believe he has family in the city because he's always on Gregor's show live in Edmonton during the summer a few times a year. Perfect #2 C despite his size....don't care he's 5"11 cause he plays like he's 6'5".
-David Moss...former Flame, big, plays max effort.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:30 AM
OilerFan4Life

I'm sorry but I don't see Girardi signing here and there really aren't too many other UFA d-men that will sign here (the likes of Boyle and Timonen are like 38 and aren't coming here at that age).

I've received a lot of negative feedback at suggesting we move Perron for a d-man....Perron is a good player however a lot easier to find a #2 LW in free agency than a #2 d-man.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Getting fed up with the main board and the idea that we would be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for Gagner
It's true. Next to Eakins, it's the worst contract we have.

Old
01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
It's true. Next to Eakins, it's the worst contract we have.
Capital fans were saying Laich for Gagner is something they would do. Western Canadian boy who brings it every night...has put up decent numbers playing with Semin in the past

Old
01-24-2014, 09:58 AM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
To me we'll be lucky if he hits that. I'm sure everyone else will tell you how he's a lock to be first pairing just like Klefbom.
No, but saying that Nurse is a lock to be a 1st pairing D is just as stupid as you saying that the Oilers will be lucky if he maxes out as a 2nd pairing D.

Anyway, i know it's good to dream, but i think some of you are going to be disappointed when MacT only makes minor upgrades to the blueline in the offseason.
I highly doubt that he'll trade for/attempt to sign a top pairing D. I can see perhaps a Ference level move for stability until Nurse/Ekblad/Klefbom/Marincin are ready to make the jump. I think he's banking on one or two of those guys to be the Oilers top pairing down the road so in other words, prepare yourselves for at least one more lottery finish next season, and i think Katz's letter about "staying the course" pretty much reaffirmed that.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
rasarhdasd

Laich/Brouwer would make sense for Gagner. Stauffer/other media said they are targetting 'another type' so i don't think they're worried about getting a real offensive guy for Sam, just a guy that could add a different element in the top 9.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:28 AM
LTIR

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Laich/Brouwer would make sense for Gagner. Stauffer/other media said they are targetting 'another type' so i don't think they're worried about getting a real offensive guy for Sam, just a guy that could add a different element in the top 9.
Gagner for Brouwer swap should help both clubs...

Old
01-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
lolthreadtitle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
Had no idea MacT was into that sort of thing..

It took until page 3 before anyone noticed? You guys are slipping!

01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Gagner for Brouwer swap should help both clubs...
Out of curiosity, how does it help Washington? Don't they already have Backstrom and Grabovski? Or would you propose that Gagner plays the wing for them? If we were offered that trade I would take it and run for the border!

Old
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Out of curiosity, how does it help Washington? Don't they already have Backstrom and Grabovski? Or would you propose that Gagner plays the wing for them? If we were offered that trade I would take it and run for the border!
Caps fans on the main board said no way to Brouwer, yes to Laich.

I'd prefer Laich anyways. Brouwer is big but does not have the compete level of Laich. He's lazy.

Old
01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
That first line gets walked alll over.

Unless they take aggression lessons or use angeldust before every game, you cannot expect them to take us anywhere together.
Completely agree. They cannot consistently compete game in and game out to find success as a top line. The physical disadvantage is too much for them to overcome and their individual skills do not really compliment each other effectively. Sure they've had their moments but they do get walked all over more often than not, especially in our division.

It's going to be a while before RNH and Eberle will have consistent success being top line guys. Having both of them on the top line means we are still not good enough IMO.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:04 PM
backhandsauce

vCash: 934
Move Gagner to Buffalo for Ott.

Sign Ott for a 4 year 4 million dollar deal right after the trade.

I don't mind over paying for a guy like him. He is exactly what we need.

Old
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Al Cappuccino
(ง ͠ ͟ل͜ ͡)ง

I misinterpreted the title

Closed Thread