HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hawks Sign Khabby...

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
buckyhockey8

vCash: 500
poor poor habs now Theo is going to want more $$$.
As a hawks fan I couldn't be happier, well... we could use a scoring winger, but this signing is huge

Old
08-05-2005, 12:20 PM
17isGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
This really hurts Tampa. John Grahame will start now?
Robert Esche can be had for just over $2 million a year and a 1st round pick....

Old
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
Is Habby really that much of an upgrade over Thibault. I always thought that T-Bo was one of the most underated goalies in the NHL. The team in front of him never gave him much support. He'll be a great pickup for whomever trades for him.

Tblow!!!!!!!!

King of the softies!!!!!!!!!!

Worst goalie with a one goal lead to have in net. Can't hold you in there when you need him the most.

I won't miss him.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:41 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
actually chicago was one of the few teams that actually made money in 2003-04.
yeah, with 80 mil in revenue, they only spent like 24 on salary. Thats half the 54% linkage between revenue and salary the lock out was fought over. Thats not making a profit, thats bending the fans over and taking advantage of them.

Nice to see the Hawks trying to contend and open their wallets for a change though.

Old
08-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Artie

Theo and his camp are apparently meeting with the Habs next week. He is (or was as of yesterday) looking for $5.5 million per season. I wonder if this will affect his thinking?

Old
08-05-2005, 01:13 PM
canuckerfan

Send a message via MSN to canuckerfan
Someone explain to me what was wrong with Thebault (sorry, might have bad spelling)...

Old
08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
fullmetalninja

I don't think anything was wrong with Tbo. He is an average to above-average goalie in the NHL. He does tend to wear down during the season, has been sporadic in the playoffs, and has a penchant for bit rebounds.

That are the definate negatives. But as has been talked about on here- he is not a JS Giguere pads guy... so he may be more effective in the supposed new era of smaller pads.

-fullmetalninja

Old
08-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
I don't know why the Lightning didn't match the offer.
'Eh, because they have to sign Martin St. Louis, Vincent Lecavalier and Dan Boyle this year; Brad Richards and others next year...

Old
08-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Yeah, but the Bulin wall is one of the few players in the game who might actually be worth all that $.....

This signing, more so than any other the Hawks could have made, makes them for real....
Bingo!

Aucoin was a good signing, but this is far better. I really like this move for them.

Old
08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17isGod
Robert Esche can be had for just over $2 million a year and a 1st round pick....
Check your facts, if he did sign an offer sheet and the Flyers didnt match, they would be due a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for him.

Old
08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Stuy

A player signed for 2-3 mil is only a 1st and a 3rd

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/08/231540.html

Old
08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Rand

This is a horrific signing IMHO. Khabilbulin is good, IMHO around 5-6th in the NHL but he's not elite and he isn't the goalie he once was.
Yes he won a cup, but he didn't exactly carry Tampa Bay to that cup win.
He was excellent in the 03-04 playoffs, but he was extremely poor in the 02-03 playoffs.

Thibault may only be an average goalie, and he tends to wear down over the season but he's performed admirably behind a crappy team. Statistically he's been quite comparable to Bulin the last two years.

I like Bulin, but there is no way he's worth anywhere near 6.75M/yr.
Unless Bulin plays as he did during the 03-04 playoffs, which he hasn't consistently done since 00-01 this is a terrible deal. He can be spectacular at times, but he's far from a foolproof goaltender, and definitely not worth 6.75M.

This hurts Tampa of course, but it frees up money to sign their pricey RFA players at least. Besides, Grahame isn't a bad goalie in his own right. He was very good when Khabibulin was off his game during parts of the 03-04 season, and shined coming in to replace Bulin in the 02-03 playoffs.
Grahme is a legitimate NHL starter IMHO, and at only 29yrs old is in his prime.

Old
08-05-2005, 02:11 PM
hawksfan50

I think you are mising the point:

1. The Hawks needed to make a "splash" in this year's UFA market to have any credibility with their disillusioned and dwindled fandom...since they out offered both Dallas and Philadelphia for Modano and Forsberg and were rejected--for non-monetary reasons,it was essential they land a "big fish" this year...Also it will prove
indispensable if future ufa wars that the finally did this--in past ufa wars,the Hawks always lost out on the big fish because they were "perceived" as not going all out to create a "winner"--that excuse for rejection is now crumbled...
THERE HAD TO BE SOME "FIRST TIME" proof that the Hawks were going to seriously contend --this is that "FIRST TIME"...

2. The Hawks may be able to "package" T-bo + other "assets" in a deal to acquire the top line scorer they need to finish the shopping sprre--if they couldn't land the big fish forwards through ufa--it might now come via trade...obviously T-bo is at least a mid-range NHL goalie --a few teams do have a lot worse than that--so he will be valuable in an trade package...

Old
08-05-2005, 02:14 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Is Khabibulin really a huge improvement over Thibault? I don't know what the Blackhawks are thinking. I guess Khabibulin went for the big payday. He would have a better chance of winning another Stanley Cup staying with Tampa than going to Chicago. Even with Lapointe, Aucoin and Spacek, that team isn't very good.

Old
08-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Rayne*

I think this is huge for Chicago. Signing Bulin will provide stability to their otherwise terrible goaltending core.

Old
08-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
dont forget Lapointe and Curtis Brown were added,not household names but some playoff warriors that every team needs.
Barnaby-Brown-Lapointe gotta love that 3rd line

Old
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
HockeyMan9

This is going to make the central division very interesting

Columbus: Sign two solid dmen to go with a young improving team, Nash was very strong last season without the NHL.

Nashville: Just coming off first playoff appearence, young team, add Markov to the mix makes this team very solid

Chicago: Aucoin and Khabby, young developing team, star in Ruutu, should be very improved from last season

Detriot and St. Louis: dropped some players do to cap concerns, however both are still very strong teams

and to think, each of these teams see each other 8 times this season.

Old
08-05-2005, 02:46 PM
fullmetalninja

Tallon has to be given credit. He said he wanted to build around his young players and return "blackhawk" hockey to the ice. At first, us fans thought he meant more losing! But it looks like he meant the old teams that were hell to play against.

Our top 9 will be as gritty as there is in the central. Ruutu, Bell, Lapointe, Barnaby, Brown, Calder, and Borque will all hit people and do dirty work.

-fullmetalninja

Old
08-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029
'Eh, because they have to sign Martin St. Louis, Vincent Lecavalier and Dan Boyle this year; Brad Richards and others next year...
What I meant was that if the money was close,which it doesn't look like it was. Plus Jay Feaster said they couldn't spend that and still keep the others, so you eventually loose a guy here and there.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Khabby was awesome when we won the cup, but this was the only right thing to do, I rate Vinny, Marty and Boyle so much higher, Grahame is a great keeper and we can now finally sign those three I mentioned earlier on multi-year deals, Vinny will get a four or five year contract, those are the players to build a team around.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
What I meant was that if the money was close,which it doesn't look like it was. Plus Jay Feaster said they couldn't spend that and still keep the others, so you eventually loose a guy here and there.
Hawks offered 2 millions more per year, that's a lot...

Old
08-05-2005, 07:16 PM
bhawk24bob

thibault wasn't terrible, but he's pretty much reached his potential. he gives up too many rebounds in front, he lets in a bad goal almost every game, he can't keep his weight up (he's a small guy to begin with), and most of all- he's coming off hip surgery. it wasn't going to get any better with thibault. if you want to win in the playoffs, you need to build from the net out, and that's what the hawks are doing.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:01 PM
GaryU

Unbelievable!!! Even some Mods are doing the sour grapes thing...The Hawks needed this HUGE signing, as my colleagues pointed out. Even a RANGERS fan is saying we're not that good(!)....talk about calling the kettle black!
You may not agree, but how many of you naysayers have better goalies?? I'll hate to see Brodeur leave NJ when the Rangers offer him $7m next year. Then we'll hear how good that signing was..
And yes, Khabby is that much better than Tbo, who is still undergoing shock treatment after being hit by so much flying rubber here in Chicago.
Have a nice day.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Hawkalyzer

Teams aren't going to like playing us this year....

Old
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkalyzer
Teams aren't going to like playing us this year....
Keep your head up Kariya.

Closed Thread