HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2014, 11:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
They play Slovkia first, then Russia, & then Slovenia in group play. So they'll have to figure it out quick (no pun intended) with that second game against Russia & that goes for the other spots as well.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-05-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old
02-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Why would it not be? It's not like you can predict how they'd play. And Miller has been great, but I don't think he's been that much better than Quick. Especially lately the latter seems to be stepping his game up. And we've all seen that at his best he can probably outperform Miller at his.
I think you are underestimating how bad Buffalo is. Without Miller they would probably break least points in a season record.

Old
02-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
I think you are underestimating how bad Buffalo is. Without Miller they would probably break least points in a season record.
This has nothing to do with the Quick vs. Miller debate, though.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:
Everyone's talking about the final spot on the Canadian roster, but it'll be interesting seeing who the starting goalies will be for some of the countries, especially Finland, USA, Canada and Russia. As far as the latter goes, I'm hoping Bob gets injured or sick, so that there are no questions around the 1-2 punch in goal. With Finland, it should probably be Rask, but I have no idea who the US will go with.
hoping for a guy to get injured isnt cool.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:33 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Everyone's talking about the final spot on the Canadian roster, but it'll be interesting seeing who the starting goalies will be for some of the countries, especially Finland, USA, Canada and Russia. As far as the latter goes, I'm hoping Bob gets injured or sick, so that there are no questions around the 1-2 punch in goal. With Finland, it should probably be Rask, but I have no idea who the US will go with.
Rask, Quick, Price, and Bobrovsky if those teams want a shot at a gold medal, or in any of their cases...any medal. Sweden IMO is a lock to medal and far and away favorite for gold.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
hoping for a guy to get injured isnt cool.
Oh well. And it's not like I'm hoping for a career-ending injury, either. Just a little something to have him enjoy the comforts of the new Sochi arena watching his home country play A flu bug is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Rask, Quick, Price, and Bobrovsky if those teams want a shot at a gold medal, or in any of their cases...any medal. Sweden IMO is a lock to medal and far and away favorite for gold.
Varlamov any day. Eremenko any day, twice.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Hiesenberg

Brian Lawton (I don't know who that is) tweeted that he's hearing that Stamkos replacement will be informed today and an announcement could be made as early as tonight.

I'm torn...I hope Giroux goes, it looks like he really wanted it. But St. Louis/Thornton as possible replacements are hard.

Also, would Giroux really even play, I mean its like picking the 25th man on the bench who gets a pinch AB every 4 games.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:17 AM
flyershockey

Unfortunately, I don't think Giroux gets the nod. It's pretty clear that HC wants size on their wings, and Giroux doesn't fit that mold. Get ready for James Neal to be an Olympian before Claude Giroux.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think Giroux gets the nod. It's pretty clear that HC wants size on their wings, and Giroux doesn't fit that mold. Get ready for James Neal to be an Olympian before Claude Giroux.
Probably. Man Yzerman better hope they get gold, because with all the question marks he's pulled, there will be some heavy second guessing if they fail.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:42 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Probably. Man Yzerman better hope they get gold, because with all the question marks he's pulled, there will be some heavy second guessing if they fail.
They'll probably still win anyway because of the amount of talent that Canada produces. I just kind of sucks because more deserving players aren't getting the chance to make the team. Having more size versus skill on the wings will mean little in the difference between them winning or not.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:51 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
I like that Girouxs point total was an excuse, now he has more points than the other replacements. This all has to do with G not going to the summer camp, these old HC dinosaurs take that personally.

Name Neal, he can elbow Malkin in the Gold medal game and lose the game for Canada and concuss Malkin too.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Curufinwe

And knee Maatta or Orpik in the head.

Old
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
They'll probably still win anyway because of the amount of talent that Canada produces. I just kind of sucks because more deserving players aren't getting the chance to make the team. Having more size versus skill on the wings will mean little in the difference between them winning or not.
I don't think so, Goaltending, Hamhuis, Subban, Marleau, Benn, Kunitz, Carter are all reasons they wont win gold imo. Has Carter even scored since being named ?

Insanity that G, MSL, Seabrook aren't on this team over all listed above. They insist on Kunitz with Sid, Bouwmeester with Petro, yet they leave the best duo off in Keith and Seabrook.

Old
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I like that Girouxs point total was an excuse, now he has more points than the other replacements. This all has to do with G not going to the summer camp, these old HC dinosaurs take that personally.

Name Neal, he can elbow Malkin in the Gold medal game and lose the game for Canada and concuss Malkin too.
I really do think this has something to do with it. HC has always been political as hell, but that was mostly at the WJC level.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:59 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
I don't think so, Goaltending, Hamhuis, Subban, Marleau, Benn, Kunitz, Carter are all reasons they wont win gold imo. Has Carter even scored since being named ?

Insanity that G, MSL, Seabrook aren't on this team over all listed above. They insist on Kunitz with Sid, Bouwmeester with Petro, yet they leave the best duo off in Keith and Seabrook.
I don't really think the defense had any blatantly poor selections, but the forward group is just moronic.

Oh well, go U.S.A.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:00 AM
FLYguy3911

Did NBC show anything live today? I couldn't find any of the events.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Marleau has. He's had a great season.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Did NBC show anything live today? I couldn't find any of the events.
Don't think anything is being shown live on TV today.

Here's the TV listings for events.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
02-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Hiesenberg

Canada isn't a lock by any stretch, don't the NA teams typically stink on the big overseas ice?

I'm still leaning toward the Swedes.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Hiesenberg

Apparently the downhill practice runs has to stop because of the first 3 participants got hurt. They built a ramp too high, but when it was tested, it was tested by lesser quality people who go slower, so they didn't really know how far the skiers would land. The mens downhill get up to 90mph and one of them said, it almost feels like you will never land.

That's scary...these games are doomed.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:10 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Marleau has. He's had a great season.
Marleau came out of the gate flying, but he's cooled down since then. I thought he was invisible in the game the other night.

The only players with more points than Giroux even after his slow start: Crosby, Getzlaf, Perry, Tavares, and Sharp. He's tied with Toews and Kunitz, and he'll probably pass them both and Sharp within the next 5 games or so.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Hiesenberg

Aaron Ward tweedt that Yzerman reached out to replacement candidates yesterday to inform them they were under consideration.

Wow, really? I feel like Yzerman is the biggest procrastinator in this whole ordeal. Stamkos was a friggin long shot to make Sochi, you should've had his replacement chosen and when the news came down, just call the guy and announce who's going. Now you are going to screw with players heads for another day?

Lets face it, Giroux/St. Louis/Staal/Thorton/Neal. All friggin talented, flip a damn coin because they are probably better than 80% of the rest of the Olympic rosters going already. Jesus, what a drama queen.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:50 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
I can't believe all the reports I'm reading and hearing out of Sochi. Did they just find out they were hosting the Olympics 2 months ago?

02-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Hiesenberg

Replacement will be announced in about 15-30 mins.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Hiesenberg

Its St. Louis.

Not really surprised. I hope G score 5 goals.

Closed Thread