HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
On a personal and selfish level I am glad he is not going. Less chance of injury, no chance of missing that one game, will have a nice rest for the final push...

and when he has something to prove and plays nastily he is amongst the most dominant players in hockey. (I mean, he is anyway, but that extra little bit, like in the playoffs, just ignites him.)

The guy has been overlooked at almost every level by most people and proved them wrong every time...

the OHL did not want him in the draft, or a year later, Q walk on, central scouting had him in the 3rd round most of his draft year, people disparaged him after the draft, taken too early etc, would be a great AHLer but not make the jump, was a 3rd liner, he is too small, too slow, perimeter player, carried by Richards, Carter and Briere, could not carry a line, had inflated point totals due to a high scoring team, would not be able to handle being the man when Richards and Carter left, could not play without Jagr, would come off worse going up against Crosby, could not get back from his injury, had 1 fluke year, is not a leader etc, etc, etc...

and I would bet on it being exactly the same this time. The guy just goes, **** the world, I'll do it whatever you think, and perseveres.

Old
02-06-2014, 11:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Because he's a Top 5 Canadian forward. Its pretty ridiculous that he's not going. Yzerman has built a bunch of "roles" for everybody and honestly if those players don't fill the roles he picked, the Canadians are going to be pretty disappointed. I mean you have guys like Carter who is a "shooter" is Giroux better than Carter? Yes. But Carter was chosen because he's a "shooter" Kunitz was chosen because he scores with Crosby. Is Giroux better than Kunitz? Yes. Duchene was picked because he's fast and is a "shooter" is Giroux better than Duchene? Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I want him there because he is one of Canadas best forwards and I am from Canada. Him being left off over some of these fwds cause he didn't attend a stupid ball hockey tournament to rehab his injured hand in Philly is ****ing insanity .

Marty deserves to be there, but with some of these picks and the goaltending, I would be stoked if I didn't cheer for Canada.
Dont get me wrong I think he should be there too. There is little to deny from that. But my point being we will have a rested and motivated top player on our team in 2 and a half weeks.
You think Martys ego would stand him just being the 3rd goaltender? how often does the 3rd goalie play maybe outside of a prelim game. Would I take Marty over Price and Lou 4 years ago? sure. now? no I would not.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:03 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
On a personal and selfish level I am glad he is not going. Less chance of injury, no chance of missing that one game, will have a nice rest for the final push...

and when he has something to prove and plays nastily he is amongst the most dominant players in hockey. (I mean, he is anyway, but that extra little bit, like in the playoffs, just ignites him.)

The guy has been overlooked at almost every level by most people and proved them wrong every time...

the OHL did not want him in the draft, or a year later, Q walk on, central scouting had him in the 3rd round most of his draft year, people disparaged him after the draft, taken too early etc, would be a great AHLer but not make the jump, was a 3rd liner, he is too small, too slow, perimeter player, carried by Richards, Carter and Briere, could not carry a line, had inflated point totals due to a high scoring team, would not be able to handle being the man when Richards and Carter left, could not play without Jagr, would come off worse going up against Crosby, could not get back from his injury, had 1 fluke year, is not a leader etc, etc, etc...

and I would bet on it being exactly the same this time. The guy just goes, **** the world, I'll do it whatever you think, and perseveres.
Impressive that you nailed every ******** argument against Giroux that I've seen on here. Why does it seem like it pains people to give him credit for being a great player?

02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Funf

vCash: 500
Quote:

I agree with this. The only downside is, you know he wanted to be there. It's good for us, but I still feel bad for him.

But at least now I can actively root against Canada, and if they crash and burn we can all shove it in their face.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:12 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

You forgot the biggest diss of them all when Clarke forgot his name at the draft.

Seriously though, even the Flyers wouldn't have selected him if Bobby Sanguinetti hadn't been picked by the Rangers right before him.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
You forgot the biggest diss of them all when Clarke forgot his name at the draft.

Seriously though, even the Flyers wouldn't have selected him if Bobby Sanguinetti hadn't been picked by the Rangers right before him.
if Trevor Lewis was on the board they were going to take him if Sangs wasnt there.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:42 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:

One of the biggest insults levied against the dude on these boards at one point was that his career would be similar to that of Scott Gomez!

Old
02-06-2014, 12:44 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if Trevor Lewis was on the board they were going to take him if Sangs wasnt there.
Lol. Those are some scary thoughts. One guy's in the KHL after playing less than 50 NHL games, and the other is a 4th liner.

Old
02-06-2014, 12:51 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Impressive that you nailed every ******** argument against Giroux that I've seen on here. Why does it seem like it pains people to give him credit for being a great player?
He forgot "racks up secondary assists" and "inflated point totals from power play time"

Claude Giroux is the only player in the league who gets criticized for running a great power play.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
He forgot "racks up secondary assists" and "inflated point totals from power play time"
Haha, yeh!

I loved those...

like in the last two years previous to this he had 100 'primary' points... Tavares, Stamkos, Kessel and Malkin were the only players with more in that time... all 4 score goals at a far higher rate than Giroux.

59 primary assists over those two years... Malkin (60) and Sedin (62) the only two with more in the NHL in that time frame!

And then his EVP/60 being top 10 in the NHL 2 of the last 3 seasons before this... and like top ten over that time!

Old
02-06-2014, 01:18 PM
no1b4me

I think it's awesome Giroux isn't going. If it were my way no Flyers would be going. I can hardly wait till they stop sending NHL'ers. Imagine how Kimmo will be if they make the playoffs after playing 82 plus the Olympics.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:25 PM
vtm26

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1b4me View Post
I think it's awesome Giroux isn't going. If it were my way no Flyers would be going. I can hardly wait till they stop sending NHL'ers. Imagine how Kimmo will be if they make the playoffs after playing 82 plus the Olympics.
Like those every 4 years would hurt so much...

Old
02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd bet he would get a lot more credit if he weren't a Flyer haha

Old
02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
no1b4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm26 View Post
Like those every 4 years would hurt so much...
As someone that has been a fan since there were only 6 teams in the league I was never a fan of NHL players going in the Olympics.
Anyways like said. Slow Kimmo will be slower Kimmo. Should fun to watch.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Haha, yeh!

I loved those...

like in the last two years previous to this he had 100 'primary' points... Tavares, Stamkos, Kessel and Malkin were the only players with more in that time... all 4 score goals at a far higher rate than Giroux.

59 primary assists over those two years... Malkin (60) and Sedin (62) the only two with more in the NHL in that time frame!

And then his EVP/60 being top 10 in the NHL 2 of the last 3 seasons before this... and like top ten over that time!
You should email this to Stevie Y.

So 4 guys are better than Giroux in primary points and 2 of them aren't Canadian. And 2 guys are better than Giroux is primary assists and 1 of them isn't Canadian.

Yet, he's gonna sit at home during the Olympics. Hilarious...

Old
02-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Curufinwe

The worst part of Giroux not going will be Coatsey crying about it tonight.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Haha, yeh!

I loved those...

How come teams haven't "figured him out" since most of his goals are because the D is stupid and they are on breakaways?

Old
02-06-2014, 02:26 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I guess Crybaby didn't want G on the team...Team Canada's loss for sure

Old
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
tymed

Well there was almost no chance of him going over MSL at this point. Still pretty disappointing but it doesn't effect Canada taking home the gold.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:31 PM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I guess Crybaby didn't want G on the team...Team Canada's loss for sure
I doubt Criesbaby Crosby had a hand in it at all....but we shall see if Team Canada assembled the team correctly in short order. Hopefully not...

Old
02-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Hiesenberg

Talk is that Henrik Sedin is pulling out of the Oly's as well. Big blow to the Swedes.

Also, I don't remember hearing about Gaborik backing out.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Curufinwe

He hasn't played since Rinaldo crushed him on 12/21/13.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
He hasn't played since Rinaldo crushed him on 12/21/13.
Huh...weird. Did they just announce it, or was it known? Maybe its just that I don't give a crap.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Flyerss

i heard that Gaborik won't play in Sochi

Old
02-06-2014, 03:09 PM
flyershockey

I thought it was Coburn who broke Gaborik.

Closed Thread