HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Sweden Roster Discussion (Part III) Released, post #1

Old
01-26-2014, 12:02 AM
bossram

vCash: 500
Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Landeskog - Backstrom - Steen
Silfverberg - Berglund - Hagelin
Kruger, Ericsson

Kronwall - Ericsson
OEL - Karlsson
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Edler, Tallinder

How Hedman didn't make it over at least Tallinder is beyond any sane person.

Edler and Tallinder should be out. Put in Hedman and Brodin. At least you can somewhat justify Oduya and Ericsson with the "chemistry" card. But Brodin and Hedman are both easily better than Tallinder and a bit better than Edler. Plus Edler will have to sit due to his suspension.

Doesn't make sense.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:36 AM
Chimp

I actually believed Mårts had some strategy to his decisions, but I guess not. He's actually just as bad as BÅG to pick his players, if not worse, which is really damn hard. It's mindboggling how hard it can be for these coaching travesties to make the simple, right choices. Not even having Hedman on the reserves and see the names that were picked ahead of him... that's inexcusable. "He's good at everything" is not an excuse not to pick a player, when that's the exact terms he used to pick that Skellefteå SEL player. Seriously, WTF?

Tallinder is not trusted to get ice time on the worst team in the league and he's in the starting lineup(!). Ericsson has struggled and Edler has struggled. Gustafson is a reserve and he's not holding a spot on one of the worse defenses in the league! But Hedman as a top pairing defenseman in great shape is not good enough, not even if everyone gets injured? Stop lying Mårts and tell us the actual, screwed up reasons behind your pathetic choices.

Is it true Mårts re-signed as national coach for another 2 years? Please don't let it be so. He and his staff have past their expiry date, they're acting like they're senile.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-26-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:44 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Franzen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Backstrom - Berglund - Steen
Landeskog - Kruger or Zinbad - Hagelin
Hornqvist, Mojo

Kronwall - Ericsson
OEL - Karlsson
Oduya - Hjalmarsson
Brodin, Hedman

Should have been the team
Mårts is a fool
The political BS he put on with the inclusions SEL player Ericsson (and the hotel gangbanger Tallinder) is incredible

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:50 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

why is silverberg on the team?

zibanejad, hörnqvist and backlund is better.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 08:27 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
why is silverberg on the team?

zibanejad, hörnqvist and backlund is better.
Looks like an extra player right now. But Eriksson's lack of form is more concerning, he has 1 point in 8 games since coming back. If Franzen comes back in a similar form after his concussion our wing depth looks really bad. Maybe Landeskog is ready to take on more of an offensive role on the team.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Looks like an extra player right now. But Eriksson's lack of form is more concerning, he has 1 point in 8 games since coming back. If Franzen comes back in a similar form after his concussion our wing depth looks really bad. Maybe Landeskog is ready to take on more of an offensive role on the team.
I highly doubt that. Landeskog is one of the most specialized NHL players on the team, he does not thrive on big ice. He wants physical north-south hockey, not puck possession cycling. If you can draw benefit from his net presence with suitable linemates (like Bäckström paired with Loui), sure, he can probably be effective. It's just... he looks so damn awkward on big ice.

I would probably hope for a two-way player like Marcus Johansson instead to take an offensive role, with his stronger skating and more of a cycling guy. But of course, also he has had a tough season. The natural choice would be for Steen to find his pre-concussion form and be on the 2nd line. As happens every darn olympic tournament, the Swedish team always has alot of questionable, serious injuries on key players. And the now seemingly traditional, highly controversial choices by the upper management that just makes your head explode.

A player I really look forward to watching, is Carl Hagelin. His skating is explosive to say the least, he's so darn fast and I'm thrilled to see what he can do with extra room on big ice. He can single handedly change the offensive options for his line by that aspect of his game. When he's chasing the puck, he might actually make dumping the puck into an open area a legit option even on big ice. He might not produce the most points, but you can contribute in more ways than that, it's always difficult to defend against such fast players as him.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-26-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old
01-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I highly doubt that. Landeskog is one of the most specialized NHL players on the team, he does not thrive on big ice. He wants physical north-south hockey, not puck possession cycling. If you can draw benefit from his net presence with suitable linemates (like Bäckström paired with Loui), sure, he can probably be effective.

But then I would probably hope for a two-way player like Marcus Johansson instead to take an offensive role, with his stronger skating and more of a cycling guy. But of course, also he has had a tough season. The natural choice would be for Steen to find his pre-concussion form and be on the 2nd line.

As happens every darn olympic tournament, the Swedish team always has alot of questionable, serious injuries on key players. And the highly controversial choices by the upper management that just makes your head explode.
Hagelin is a guy that can make any line work, even a 1st line.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 09:33 AM
joe89

Quote:
I highly doubt that. Landeskog is one of the most specialized NHL players on the team, he does not thrive on big ice. He wants physical north-south hockey, not puck possession cycling. If you can draw benefit from his net presence with suitable linemates (like Bäckström paired with Loui), sure, he can probably be effective.

But then I would probably hope for a two-way player like Marcus Johansson instead to take an offensive role, with his stronger skating and more of a cycling guy. But of course, also he has had a tough season. The natural choice would be for Steen to find his pre-concussion form and be on the 2nd line.

As happens every darn olympic tournament, the Swedish team always has alot of questionable, serious injuries on key players. And the highly controversial choices by the upper management that just makes your head explode.
Well, he's not specialized with Colorado. He doesn't kill penalties there, he's playing offense. Landeskog is tied with Steen for most EVS points, 5 more than Zetterberg, 8 more than the Sedins and 12 more than Bäckström. His 12 EVS goals rank third behind Steen and Zetterberg.

He takes it to the net and is quietly effective at doing so without being flashy. I think there's a place for that in our top6 if needed, we have a lot of guys that play a similar game and like to pass the puck in eternity. Right now Eriksson is not playing up to par with Landeskog and Steen who are my other two favorites to play with the Sedins.

Old
01-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Hagelin is a guy that can make any line work, even a 1st line.
Simply put, yes. I hadn't read your response before I edited my own. The NHL team I follow the most are the Rangers, so I've seen alot of Hagelin, night in, night out. He's a great contributor on any line when he doesn't have to be the catalyst, but a compliment. Just allow him to do his thing and the whole line will be more difficult to contain. Fast as hell (one of the fastest in the world), strong board player and he has some skill, but especially tons of competiveness and work ethics. He can play both a top 6 and bottom 6 role, because of that speed. I'm psyched to see what kind of damage he can do when he gets even more room to race on.

On a side note, I would even have picked Strålman before Tallinder or some other odd defense choices. Strålman would fit perfectly into the Swedish puck possession strategy on big ice, he's a solid two-way defenseman who knows how to skate and move the puck. But of course, he would never have a regular spot, just be a reserve.
Quote:
Well, he's not specialized with Colorado. He doesn't kill penalties there, he's playing offense. Landeskog is tied with Steen for most EVS points, 5 more than Zetterberg, 8 more than the Sedins and 12 more than Bäckström. His 12 EVS goals rank third behind Steen and Zetterberg.

He takes it to the net and is quietly effective at doing so without being flashy. I think there's a place for that in our top6 if needed, we have a lot of guys that play a similar game and like to pass the puck in eternity. Right now Eriksson is not playing up to par with Landeskog and Steen who are my other two favorites to play with the Sedins.
I can straight out admit I haven't watched enough of Landeskog to have a solid opinion of him, just what I remember of him on big ice before. But then again, each development year for especially young players are so important. I hope you are right, this Swedish team needs all the help they can get, especially from players you don't expect to contribute as much.

A guy I liked so much in 2006 was Samuel Påhlsson, who was brought in for his defensive commitment, but still created offensive chances by pushing his talent.

Even if we as fans are disgruntled with the roster choices on this team, at least we can find some comfort in that basically all forwards are solid two-way players, some of them even elite. If we can keep the puck out of our own net, which they still should be capable of and Lundqvist is finding his traditional elite form, this team can still go far. This is Mårt's best team, unfortunately not Sweden's best team and there's not much we can do about it and just pray the crazy, illogical choices are proving to be correct. Or, hope the core is good enough to carry Mårts with them.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-26-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old
01-26-2014, 11:05 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Lol @ them not selecting Hedman.. What a crock of crap. Name one Swedish Dman that has been better all around than Victor this season.. and don't dare to say Karlsson and his -14.

Sorry.. this just really upsets me. The kid deserved it.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Lol @ them not selecting Hedman.. What a crock of crap. Name one Swedish Dman that has been better all around than Victor this season.. and don't dare to say Karlsson and his -14.

Sorry.. this just really upsets me. The kid deserved it.
You won't find many Swedish fans who disagree with you. It's a sick joke, not much else you can say. Hedman was the biggest surprise, but there were more, especially on defense. I really hoped Mårts would be more competent than BÅG, but I guess finding a good coach is almost impossible.

Old
01-26-2014, 11:50 AM
joe89

Quote:
I can straight out admit I haven't watched enough of Landeskog to have a solid opinion of him, just what I remember of him on big ice before. But then again, each development year for especially young players are so important. I hope you are right, this Swedish team needs all the help they can get, especially from players you don't expect to contribute as much.
I still think they have him firmly pencilled in as a checking, energy player, but I'm throwing it out there anyway if our other wingers continue to struggle. The best of course would still be for Eriksson and Franzen to start lighting it up.

Re: Hagelin, agree with everything you guys said. He's our X factor.

Old
01-26-2014, 01:17 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
No idea, I haven't watched it as I try not to give Aftonbladet any clicks, but I think it's from the same interview linked above.
Good. Here you got another site with the piece: http://op.se/sport/1.6761811-optv-jag-bryr-mig-inte-

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Wings4Life

From what I've seen this year in the NHL, Ericsson, Tallinder, and Oduya are the weak links in your D. I think one of these guys, max, should have made the team. Brodin definitely should have made it, Hedman deserved it too. It's decisions like this that make me think Sweden will not do as well as people are expecting at the Games.

As to Edler, I can see the logic. He's been poor but is kind of an X factor back there, if he regains his previous form he can be a solid member of the top 7 D.

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 03:03 PM
jfc64

Say what you want about the olympic team but our second team is shaping up quite nicely

Johansson • Söderberg • Hörnqvist | Nyquist • Backlund • Zibanejad | Hjalmarsson • Josefson • Arlbrandt | Forsberg • Persson • Klingberg | Pääjärvi • Mårtensson

Brodin • Hedman | Lindholm • Enström | Gustafsson • Grossmann | Gunnarsson • Strålman

Fasth | Lehner | Läck

Last edited by jfc64: 01-28-2014 at 06:01 AM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:15 AM
discordant concord

What are the chances that one or both of the Sedins' miss the games?

discordant concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:40 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by discordant concord View Post
Both 0%, one 1%. Seriously Henrik might be back this week so it is no problem as far as we can tell now.

But most of Sweden's top forwards (Sedins, Zetterberg, Steen, Eriksson, Franzén) have had a rough stretch now and it doesn't look encouraging.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:16 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by discordant concord View Post
The chance for you is 1-5. It all depends on a sore index finger.

Old
01-27-2014, 05:17 AM
joe89

Franzen made his comeback and looked up to pace. Alfredsson is not looking especially sharp on the other hand. Zetterberg missed the game obviously, but as always it's wear and tear and not something serious. Nyquist is in very good form right now, so it's good that he's a reserve.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:10 PM
m4tt145

vCash: 614
Quote:
Franzen made his comeback and looked up to pace. Alfredsson is not looking especially sharp on the other hand. Zetterberg missed the game obviously, but as always it's wear and tear and not something serious. Nyquist is in very good form right now, so it's good that he's a reserve.
So Zetterbergs injury isn't too serious?

m4tt145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
jfc64

Zetterberg's injured the same way again. Disc. Worst thing that could have happened. The magnitude decide our fate.

In the worst case scenario I say we move Karlsson to forward and bring in Eri...Hedman to replace Karlsson as offensive forward. Won't happen, though, in this team building process...where chosen players form a team and play to the best of their ability.

Post note: Zetterberg assures us OG (OS) is not in jeopardy and that he probably will play NHL games before Sotji. Don't.

Last edited by jfc64: 01-27-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old
01-28-2014, 02:59 AM
Tomas W

Zetterbergs situation is bad for Detroit, but it might be good for tre kronor, as he will get some rest now, and play less games (every NHL game is a risk for new injuries), that damn back hurt should be gone for the olympics.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 07:25 AM
jfc64

Let's give the Mårts administration credit for a few things:

Good 13th and 14th forward choice:

Putting pressure on Alfredsson and Franzén to deliver right away. Hagelin, Silfverberg and Landeskog is waiting ready to take a bigger role.

Realizing the importance of size on defense where success for one of Oduya, Edler and Tallinder might be more than enough to secure a real good defense.

That said, the omission of Hedman taste bad... sure, he wasn't good a couple of years ago, he reminds of a calfe on big ice, he might be a killer who can't kill, his points seem hazzardous, his recent salary was curiously low, his persona might crave too much on a team where the Oduya's might feel threatened, he might have stared at Mårts somewhere in time the wrong way or doesn't respect Popovic. His distance estimation might be agnostocratic or his body awareness excreviscios. He might even be too vulnerable to have his nuts massaged. If any of this might be true, freakin' TELL him that! He's young, talented, can skate and must have some capacity to move a big player in front of the net. So he racks up a few points, shoot me! He's not unplesant or suspicious type, have normal IQ and doesn't remind of Wade Redden. Child of the "Forsberg" era he is. He can use his stick to things other than crosschecking too and he can stare down a goat (Crosby). Is it the big ice "Calf" thing? Or does opponents fly by him? ONCE I saw him too slow on the puck and opponent in defensive zone. Edler is halfass, too. The omission of Hedman on many "expert" lists earlier on is real confusing but is maybe explained in mans way to create meaning in life. A leader (Mårts?) sees this and takes appropriate steps for the sake of a team.

This keep me up at night, sort of, especially if a player like Zetterberg is out. Because our team is falling apart quickly if the best players is not playing. We might be stuck with the wrong Sedin, a wreck of a second line, old, slow forwards and average defense players who act like hens. We had the parts for a Ferrari. Let's hope our (luxury) Volvo works fine abroad.

So, are all my expectations gone now? Am I ready for a fight in front of the telly? Maybe.

Last edited by jfc64: 01-29-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old
01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Zetterbergs situation is bad for Detroit, but it might be good for tre kronor, as he will get some rest now, and play less games (every NHL game is a risk for new injuries), that damn back hurt should be gone for the olympics.
Dear Lord please let Zetterberg be healthy. Most important skater on the team IMO.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Franzen placed on IR by the Red Wings today with concussion symptoms.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote