HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Tonight might be ugly!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 07:26 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Tonight might be ugly!

Tonights defense for the Capitals against the Flyers.
Doig - Kwiatkowski
Fortin - Yonkman
Boumedienne - Gruden

This should be very interesting.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:44 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Ugly, but interesting. We'll get to see if Yonkman can really back up what he's been saying about it being his time for the NHL (but I thought he was injured...). Anyway, we'll get to see which of our scrubs is actually NHL worthy.

As it is nearing the end of the preseason, I see absolutely no reason to play our two experienced dmen. It's not worth the risk at this point, especially since we are playing the very physical flyers. I am glad we are playing neither Witt nor Gonch.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:09 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
Ugly, but interesting. We'll get to see if Yonkman can really back up what he's been saying about it being his time for the NHL (but I thought he was injured...). Anyway, we'll get to see which of our scrubs is actually NHL worthy.

As it is nearing the end of the preseason, I see absolutely no reason to play our two experienced dmen. It's not worth the risk at this point, especially since we are playing the very physical flyers. I am glad we are playing neither Witt nor Gonch.
Looking forward to some fights.

Old
10-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Millhaus

I don't think those are going to be the pairings as Doig, Fortin, and Yonkman are all right sided and Kiwi, Gruden, and Boumedienne are left sided.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:27 AM
ashaddcola

vCash:
Any idea why

Verot is not playing? Listening to the broadcast of the last game with Philly Hitchcock was steamed at the way Verot was treating his players....

Old
10-01-2003, 09:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus
I don't think those are going to be the pairings as Doig, Fortin, and Yonkman are all right sided and Kiwi, Gruden, and Boumedienne are left sided.
Doig and Kiwi were a pair last season
Yonkman and Fortin were a pair season before last.
I don't see why these are not going to be the pairs.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:00 AM
ashaddcola

vCash:
ooopppss

Verot has been sent to Portland............

Old
10-01-2003, 10:13 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaddcola
Verot has been sent to Portland............
Gasp....Shock....next?

Old
10-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Doig and Kiwi were a pair last season
Yonkman and Fortin were a pair season before last.
I don't see why these are not going to be the pairs.
Sure Doig and Kiwi likely will play together, and I should have said that, but I don't see Yonkman and Fortin together while Gruden and Boumedienne are together. Those last two pairings just don't make any sense. I bet we see Gruden and Yonkman together while Fortin plays with Boumedienne.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Sure Doig and Kiwi likely will play together, and I should have said that, but I don't see Yonkman and Fortin together while Gruden and Boumedienne are together. Those last two pairings just don't make any sense. I bet we see Gruden and Yonkman together while Fortin plays with Boumedienne.
When Yonkman was with Washington and playing well year before last his partner was Fortin. Yonkman skates very well. That pair makes sense and I think they want to pound some minutes into both of those guys. Boume and Gruden I think they are less concerned about.
I think you may see a big difference in the minutes played by those guys

Old
10-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
When Yonkman was with Washington and playing well year before last his partner was Fortin. Yonkman skates very well. That pair makes sense and I think they want to pound some minutes into both of those guys. Boume and Gruden I think they are less concerned about.
I think you may see a big difference in the minutes played by those guys
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know if I've ever seen a regular pairing of two right handed defensemen. Two left handed defensemen? Yes, because there are a lot more left handed defensemen then there are right handed defensemen in the league and somebody has to play on the right side. Right handed guys very rarely play on the left side so why would you make a guy play on his off side if you don't have to and you have a couple of logical alternatives? It doesn't make sense, and I don't care if they might have played together two years ago for all of 11 games, and I'm not conceding that was the case either because I really don't recall. Wilson also played 3 defensemen and 2 forwards for a stretch that season. Just because someone chose to do it before doesn't make it right.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know if I've ever seen a regular pairing of two right handed defensemen. Two left handed defensemen? Yes, because there are a lot more left handed defensemen then there are right handed defensemen in the league and somebody has to play on the right side. Right handed guys very rarely play on the left side so why would you make a guy play on his off side if you don't have to and you have a couple of logical alternatives? It doesn't make sense, and I don't care if they might have played together two years ago for all of 11 games, and I'm not conceding that was the case either because I really don't recall. Wilson also played 3 defensemen and 2 forwards for a stretch that season. Just because someone chose to do it before doesn't make it right.
1. Unusual or not Yonkman and Fortin did play together for about 15 games year before last. As I recall they both played very well bolstered the defense when they made that strong run for the playoffs. Its also accurate to say that neither of them have played as well as they did then since. If they can play that well together again, why complain?
2. Yes, Wilson dressed 8 defensemen for a few games. Once because those were the only 18 skaters that he had that were healthy. Then after tying a game they had no right to and winning the next one, Wilson left that lineup in for a few more games. BUT, its also misleading.
They played the same center wedge system that they played all season they just used Ken Klee and Sergei Gonchar in the center position. Klee played a lot of games at forward and Gonchar is as offensively skilled as the best forwards in the NHL.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
1. Unusual or not Yonkman and Fortin did play together for about 15 games year before last. As I recall they both played very well bolstered the defense when they made that strong run for the playoffs. Its also accurate to say that neither of them have played as well as they did then since. If they can play that well together again, why complain?
2. Yes, Wilson dressed 8 defensemen for a few games. Once because those were the only 18 skaters that he had that were healthy. Then after tying a game they had no right to and winning the next one, Wilson left that lineup in for a few more games. BUT, its also misleading.
They played the same center wedge system that they played all season they just used Ken Klee and Sergei Gonchar in the center position. Klee played a lot of games at forward and Gonchar is as offensively skilled as the best forwards in the NHL.
Well at the risk of saying "I told you so" I'm looking at the shift chart for the game last night and it looks like Yonkman played with Gruden and Fortin played with Kiwi while Doig played with Boumedienne. Imagine that, a righty and a lefty on every pairing, who would have thunk it???

Old
10-02-2003, 02:08 PM
txpd

Quote:
Well at the risk of saying "I told you so" I'm looking at the shift chart for the game last night and it looks like Yonkman played with Gruden and Fortin played with Kiwi while Doig played with Boumedienne. Imagine that, a righty and a lefty on every pairing, who would have thunk it???
Yea, damn...you were right. I also noticed that Kiwi and Fortin were out for two of the flyer goals and doig was out for the other two...one with boume and one with gruden. maybe the decision to use those guys that way wasnt so smooth in the end? I hope that Cassidy isn't really considering using Kiwi with Gonchar in games that count.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:12 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Yea, damn...you were right. I also noticed that Kiwi and Fortin were out for two of the flyer goals and doig was out for the other two...one with boume and one with gruden. maybe the decision to use those guys that way wasnt so smooth in the end? I hope that Cassidy isn't really considering using Kiwi with Gonchar in games that count.
I agree about Kiwi and Gonchar not looking like much of a pairing, but in all honesty if Witt is going to play with Eminger, then I don't see anyone else on the roster who "looks" like they would be a good partner for Gonchar. We have 4 guys who definitely are no more than 3rd pairing guys, as far as I am concerned, in Doig, Kiwi, Gruden, and Berry, though I guess Berry could one day become a top 4 guy but I highly doubt it. We have Boumedienne who isn't anything more than a 3rd pairing guy now, but has the talent to be more, though again I have doubts about if he'll ever become a top 4 guy, but still his style isn't exactly ideal for playing with Gonchar. Then we have Yonkman who likely will be a number 4 but isn't close to being one now, and Fortin who could be a number 4 but again isn't ready to be one now and many Caps' fans don't think is even an NHLer at all. The bottom line is that we have 7 guys who, in a perfect world, should be 3rd pairing guys at best right now. Unfortunately we are going to have to squeeze top 4 minutes out of some combination of those guys. However it works out, it's not likely to be pretty.

Closed Thread