HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft (Hawks pick 27th)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
SLarmer28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I don't know any specific players, but I'd really like them to try to get a big centerman in this draft.
Not big enough?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=145478

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=88636

Old
06-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Red Mosquito

The Hawks are picking 27th. John Gibson was picked with the #39...not that far off. I think the Ducks did good with that one.

Old
06-02-2014, 09:57 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

John Gibson's proven nothing in the NHL and the kid that was their backup this year and was fantastic, Frederik Andersen, was originally a 7th round pick and then a 3rd round pick upon re-entry.

Don't get me wrong, Gibson looks like a stud.. it's just a funny example considering Andersen played ahead of him and was originally a 7th round pick.

Old
06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
SLarmer28*

C.J. Motte brother of Tyler Motte should be in the Chicago Blackhawks cross hairs.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123372

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=145528

Collegiate UDFAs don't cost draft picks.

Old
06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Red Mosquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
John Gibson's proven nothing in the NHL and the kid that was their backup this year and was fantastic, Frederik Andersen, was originally a 7th round pick and then a 3rd round pick upon re-entry.

Don't get me wrong, Gibson looks like a stud.. it's just a funny example considering Andersen played ahead of him and was originally a 7th round pick.
While I'm not against using some low picks on goalies...it hasn't worked out as well for the Hawks as it has for some other organizations.

For Gibson - sure he's proven nothing - but they could snap their fingers at the draft and get a top 10 pick for him easily I would bet. If a goaltender were to work out well for us and Crawford was still excelling - then you have the option of a movable asset.

Personally I don't see much downside. A low first round skater is going to have an iffy future just like a goaltender would. Some work out and some don't.

Old
06-03-2014, 12:53 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Don't want to waste a 1st on a goalie...

Old
06-03-2014, 07:07 AM
hawksrule
Odd Little Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
While I'm not against using some low picks on goalies...it hasn't worked out as well for the Hawks as it has for some other organizations.

For Gibson - sure he's proven nothing - but they could snap their fingers at the draft and get a top 10 pick for him easily I would bet. If a goaltender were to work out well for us and Crawford was still excelling - then you have the option of a movable asset.

Personally I don't see much downside. A low first round skater is going to have an iffy future just like a goaltender would. Some work out and some don't.
Crawford will have to start excelling at some point before he continues excelling.

Old
06-03-2014, 07:14 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1000
Drafting goalies is such a crapshoot, even more than players, you can get a good goalie anywhere in the draft or just get them as undrafted free agents.

Old
06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksrule View Post
Crawford will have to start excelling at some point before he continues excelling.
Great post. You've been paying attention. You get it. Well done.

Old
06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
SurMartin

Not sure if it's been posted but Chicago has invited two Skellefteć-players to your pre-draft camp; defenceman Anton Lindholm (1994) and forward Viktor Arvidsson (1993).

Anton Lindholm is a very tough and physical D who broke into the SHL as late as february. Was a beast in the playoffs averaging 17min per game and scored the championship winning goal with his first ever pro goal.

Viktor Arvidsson is a speedy, creative winger who people have thought would get drafted for many years now but always been passed over (as his size has always been an issue). Playing on both the PP and the PK, he was a top producer in the WJCs and also named junior of the year last season and has continued to produce better than the other swedish prospects his age. This season he was 9th in points in the SHL with 16+24 in 50 games and 3rd in the playoffs with 4+12 in 14 games.
This highlight clip of him is from before this years 56 point season.

Would be tough for us if you grab Arvidsson as the NHL has already drained us for most of our scorers... but he's the sort of guy you really want to see succeed.

Old
06-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurMartin View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but Chicago has invited two Skellefteć-players to your pre-draft camp; defenceman Anton Lindholm (1994) and forward Viktor Arvidsson (1993).

Anton Lindholm is a very tough and physical D who broke into the SHL as late as february. Was a beast in the playoffs averaging 17min per game and scored the championship winning goal with his first ever pro goal.

Viktor Arvidsson is a speedy, creative winger who people have thought would get drafted for many years now but always been passed over (as his size has always been an issue). Playing on both the PP and the PK, he was a top producer in the WJCs and also named junior of the year last season and has continued to produce better than the other swedish prospects his age. This season he was 9th in points in the SHL with 16+24 in 50 games and 3rd in the playoffs with 4+12 in 14 games.
This highlight clip of him is from before this years 56 point season.

Would be tough for us if you grab Arvidsson as the NHL has already drained us for most of our scorers... but he's the sort of guy you really want to see succeed.
Thanks for the info.

Haven't heard any news on the prospects camp yet, but I do know the Hawks are holding their own combine this weekend. They invited what they deem as their top 50 draft-eligible prospects who weren't invited to the NHL's combine last week to come in for the weekend for fitness testing and some on-ice stuff.

Old
06-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Blue Liner

If anyone's interested, the HockeyProspect.com 2014 NHL Draft Guide Black Book is now available online.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2014-n...now-available/

HF Boards readers can simply use the coupon code HFBLACKBOOK2014 during checkout to get a 15% discount on our 2014 NHL Draft Black Book. Included also is the 2012 and 2013 editions of the Black Book as well at no extra cost.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 06-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old
06-07-2014, 01:08 PM
hawksfan50

Well if we do move Oduya or Leddy or both because we have such good dmen prospects coming. ..what return on picks will we get back? Oduya maybe gets a second and a fourth or fifth back..Leddy at one point I thought could bring a first back but contrary to Stanbo's statement about Leddy's progress. ..I for one thought he has not. ..certainly still lousy preventing guys coming.off the boards to our net...toilets overpowered...cannot shove guys off puck..also his reads..also dies not block shots...on offense I just do not see him as that great an impact force..not enough goals...cannot take over a game..so if he is just ok for a 5th d-man role but nothing to get excited about...thong still young..there are plenty like him around the nil and so why would somebody pay a first rounded for him.. I still would like to move him yo wing and let his speed go on attack more without worrying so much about his flaws in our d-zone..let him carry the puck more and back up opposing d-men instead of just trying to pass it up to our forwards.I do not think we maximize his greatest talents but instead expose his peak points too much..anyway if we cannot get a first rounded for him..do we get 2 seconds or just a second and fourth or fifth? Will Stanbo put off returns for Oduya and or Leddy to 2015 picks? That will be a deeper draft...

Depending on what we get back and when,maybe Stab should trade down the 27th pick for a 2nd this year and next..that was he could justify taking a gale in round 2...because he probably will not "risk" his precious first rounded on that pressing pipeline NEED and instead we will get a spill from him on how he could not believe the position player we took at #27 was bypassed by all the teams drafting before us and try to sell how we stole this guy who probably never impacts in the show anyway.

Old
06-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
There's more to a hockey player than being fast and having great hands. Most talented and "best" are not hand-in-hand.

Rob Schremp was an incredible Junior player. That's not to say Schremp and Ho-Sang are the same player - in many ways they're not - but talent on it's own doesn't mean a lot in hockey.
I missed this the first time around. Funny you mention Schremp. A lot of NHL guys this season made the same comparison. Not in that they're the same exactly players, but that there's a lot of similarities, especially in the fact that they're kinda boom or bust type prospects. There's not much in-between there. There's a lot of risk there, especially if a team takes him really high. Ton of talent, though, and could end up being a great player. He's one of those guys you can pull your hair out going back and forth on.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:17 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
I'm sure many of you won't like to see this, but here's my mock:

Quote:
27. Chicago Blackhawks - Thatcher Demko - Boston College - G

The Blackhawks look to their future between the pipes and see Demko as a great fit. He seems to be far and away the best goalie available in this draft, excelling in the NCAA as a rookie, being an athletic kid with a 6'4 frame. This could be an ideal fit for Demko, too, as he will finish his NCAA career before making the jump to pro, eventually challenging Crawford for the starting job in Chicago.

If not Demko: John Quenneville
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...4-edition.html

Old
06-07-2014, 04:39 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I just have no interest in Demko. Every goaltender in BC's recent history have put up outstanding numbers.

2013-14:

Thatcher Demko - 24GP, 2.24GAA, .919Sv%, 16-5-3
Brian Billett - 17GP, 2.42GAA, .920Sv%, 12-3-1

2012-13:

Parker Milner - 37GP, 2.66GAA, .911Sv%, 22-11-4

2011-12:

Parker Milner - 34GP, 1.66GAA, .937Sv%, 29-5

2010-11:

John Muse - 34GP, 2.30GAA, .920Sv%, 27-6-1

etc. etc.

Old
06-08-2014, 10:55 AM
hawksrule
Odd Little Poster

Quote:
Great post. You've been paying attention. You get it. Well done.
Your sarcasm aside, it's tiresome that any comment stating that Crawford is anything but superb gets treated as blasphemy. He is what he is, an above average goalie, but not a star by any means. I fail to comprehend how it behooves this community to quell the notion that Crawford is anything but the next Marty Brodeur. Crawford wasn't the reason we lost the WCF, but he certainly could have played better.

Last edited by hawksrule: 06-08-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: WCF
Old
06-08-2014, 03:11 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Your sarcasm aside, it's tiresome that any comment stating that Crawford is anything but superb gets treated as blasphemy. He is what he is, an above average goalie, but not a star by any means. I fail to comprehend how it behooves this community to quell the notion that Crawford is anything but the next Marty Brodeur. Crawford wasn't the reason we lost the WCF, but he certainly could have played better.
No one's saying he's a star. No one's saying he was superb. Crawford could have played better, but he played no worse than his counterpart - and I'd say he was actually better in games 5-7. Better than a guy that's considered by many to be a top-5 goaltender in the league.

Crawford's stats speak for themselves. He's played in 9 playoff series in his career. He's only had 2 average or poor series stats-wise: This year vs. LA, and Phoenix.

If you don't think he excelled in the playoffs last year and this year up until the LA series, than there's nothing to say to you. You clearly don't understand what you're watching or you're blind.

Last edited by HockeySensible: 06-08-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old
06-08-2014, 03:38 PM
OhCaptainMyCaptain

I say we just draft a goalie at every draft pick, we're bound to get a good one that way, right?

Old
06-08-2014, 04:03 PM
hawksrule
Odd Little Poster

Quote:
No one's saying he's a star. No one's saying he was superb. Crawford could have played better, but he played no worse than his counterpart - and I'd say he was actually better in games 5-7. Better than a guy that's considered by many to be a top-5 goaltender in the league.

Crawford's stats speak for themselves. He's played in 9 playoff series in his career. He's only had 2 average or poor series stats-wise: This year vs. LA, and Phoenix.

If you don't think he excelled in the playoffs last year and this year up until the LA series, than there's nothing to say to you. You clearly don't understand what you're watching or you're blind.
Re-read the thread. My comment was in response to a reference of Crow's 'continued excellence'.

Either I agree with you or I'm blind. How open-minded. That said, Quick was better in game 7, and if you don't think so, then you're the one who doesn't understand what he's watching. Saad's goal was at an incredible angle, Toews pp goal was unstoppable, and the bouncing puck goal was inexplicable. After that, Quick turned away a ton of great Hawk opportunities the rest of the game. For most of game 7, the Hawks outplayed LA at every position besides goalie.

Everyone knows the Seabrook-Oduya pairing was a disaster. But does Crawford ever have to take responsibility? When he's great we praise him, and when he's bad we make excuses.

Old
06-08-2014, 04:06 PM
hawksrule
Odd Little Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCaptainMyCaptain View Post
I say we just draft a goalie at every draft pick, we're bound to get a good one that way, right?
I say we continue pretending Crawford's better than he actually is. That's a surefire way to fortify the position.

Old
06-08-2014, 04:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Re-read the thread. My comment was in response to a reference of Crow's 'continued excellence'.

Either I agree with you or I'm blind. How open-minded. That said, Quick was better in game 7, and if you don't think so, then you're the one who doesn't understand what he's watching. Saad's goal was at an incredible angle, Toews pp goal was unstoppable, and the bouncing puck goal was inexplicable. After that, Quick turned away a ton of great Hawk opportunities the rest of the game. For most of game 7, the Hawks outplayed LA at every position besides goalie.

Everyone knows the Seabrook-Oduya pairing was a disaster. But does Crawford ever have to take responsibility? When he's great we praise him, and when he's bad we make excuses.
And every single Kings goal was off a lucky, fortunate bounce - including a goal was that, as you would say "unstoppable", a high stick and offside all at the same time. Toffoli's goal was off a shot-block that went right to him at the side of the net. William's goal came off a shot-block that came right to him in the slot. Gaborik's tying goal came off a rebound that Crawford was trying to deflect into the corner, that bounced off him and right down to the ice for a tap-in and the winning goal deflected off Leddy's armpit and floated over Crawford's shoulder.

And Crawford has been excellent. Or do you think a combined .930+Sv% in his previous 6 series prior to the LA series to be simply "above-average"?

Old
06-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

It's interesting to see how easily some can forget that this team was out in the first round if not for Crawford. Their showing in Game 3 against the Blues was embarrassing, to be honest, and that's coming from one of the most positive fans you'll find. Fortunately Crawford was brilliant and the Hawks avoided going down 3-0 (if not for him, they all but surely would have).
He was the best playoff goalie in the NHL for 6 straight series. He wasn't good against Los Angeles. Those are the facts.
Lundqvist, everyone's #1 guy, isn't looking so good against the Kings either.. and that's with a defense in front of him that's a hell of a lot less leaky than this year's Blackhawk defense was.

Anyway, to get more on topic, not sure I can really get on board with drafting a goalie in the first round. The Hawks could use some more quality centers in the pipeline. Wouldn't say no to a defenseman either - several of the top guys are looking to graduate to the next level very soon, and it'd make sense to have replacements for them in line.

Old
06-08-2014, 04:29 PM
SLarmer28*

NO MORE CENTERS!

The Chicago Blackhawks have drafted six centers in the last two years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005218.html

If anything, the Chicago Blackhawks need right handed defenseman and left wingers.

Old
06-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
NO MORE CENTERS!

The Chicago Blackhawks have drafted six centers in the last two years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005218.html

If anything, the Chicago Blackhawks need right handed defenseman and left wingers.
You can never have enough centers, especially in light of how thin the NHL team is at that position.

Closed Thread