HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Who finishes dead last?

View Poll Results: who finish last
Canada 47 20.43%
Sweden 5 2.17%
Russia 4 1.74%
Finland 1 0.43%
Norway 14 6.09%
USA 7 3.04%
Russia 1 0.43%
Czech's 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.43%
Austria 45 19.57%
Slovenia 76 33.04%
Latvia 29 12.61%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2014, 08:23 AM
  #26
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarz View Post
Austria
Okay, but I doubt it.

Austria hockey league is pretty strong. Its like Top 10 in Europe and growing especially for its domestic players. Theyve done solid in years past too and have some more NHLers especially in comparison to other lesser teams.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:36 AM
  #27
RobertR
Registered User
 
RobertR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Latvia
Posts: 799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I know very little on the teams in last. Mostly because most reports and articles done on the Olympics only surround the best teams. So sad.

However, I do not think Slovenia would be last.
I believe Latvia will.

Heres why

1) Coaching- From what I do hear, the coach- Kopitars dad- has done an excellent job in turning the country and its program around.

2) Chemistry- Because of the good coach, I sense he will do a good job in making sure chemistry and training is at its highest.

3) Anze Kopitar. Idk about Latvia, but Kopitar is one of the best in the world. Not even just at scoring but an all around excellent player who will no doubt be a difference.

Soooo Thats pretty much it. Latvia is my bet
Every player in their team, except, Kopitar is tier below every Latvian player.

Chemistry? 10 of our players are from one team. And other ones are National team vets, they played together for years.

And its not like Ted Nolan is some kind of amature comparing to Matjaz Kopitar.

Surprise how many votes Latvia got, but I guess we don't how any NHL talent, so that automatically makes us worse. Great logic.

RobertR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:39 AM
  #28
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Anze Kopitar > Latvia > Austria

EDIT: forgot about Vanek. I put Latvia dead last

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:26 AM
  #29
Binary Code
How do I change that
 
Binary Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delirium
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 180
lol @ Canada being right after Slovenia.

Binary Code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:30 AM
  #30
fsanford
Registered User
 
fsanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Every player in their team, except, Kopitar is tier below every Latvian player.

Chemistry? 10 of our players are from one team. And other ones are National team vets, they played together for years.

And its not like Ted Nolan is some kind of amature comparing to Matjaz Kopitar.

Surprise how many votes Latvia got, but I guess we don't how any NHL talent, so that automatically makes us worse. Great logic.
Well given the NHL is the best hockey league in the world, and if you have a player from that league, who is considered one of its premier players, it certainly cannot hurt the Slovenian's.

So are you saying that picking teams that have NHL players to have better tournaments, is illogical?

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
  #31
DEVILS130
Registered User
 
DEVILS130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Russia is on here twice. One of them should be Switzerland

DEVILS130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
  #32
Saunacrew
Registered User
 
Saunacrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,041
vCash: 140
Sweden









(sarcasm icon not needed)

Saunacrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
  #33
Namejs
Registered User
 
Namejs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rīga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I know very little on the teams in last. Mostly because most reports and articles done on the Olympics only surround the best teams. So sad.

However, I do not think Slovenia would be last.
I believe Latvia will.

Heres why

1) Coaching- From what I do hear, the coach- Kopitars dad- has done an excellent job in turning the country and its program around.

2) Chemistry- Because of the good coach, I sense he will do a good job in making sure chemistry and training is at its highest.

3) Anze Kopitar. Idk about Latvia, but Kopitar is one of the best in the world. Not even just at scoring but an all around excellent player who will no doubt be a difference.

Soooo Thats pretty much it. Latvia is my bet


Kopitar's dad is a better coach than Ted Nolan? As you say.

Essentially you know 1 or 2 out of 100 players from the Slovenian/Austrian/Norwegian/Latvian teams and yet you're making predictions. Mind blowing.



Last edited by stv11: 01-28-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: removed attack on poster
Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
  #34
Namejs
Registered User
 
Namejs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rīga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Well given the NHL is the best hockey league in the world, and if you have a player from that league, who is considered one of its premier players, it certainly cannot hurt the Slovenian's.

So are you saying that picking teams that have NHL players to have better tournaments, is illogical?
If you don't know anything about a certain subject, don't pretend that you're an expert. Just don't embarass yourself. I think that's a pretty good rule to go by, and not only on hfboads.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
  #35
Sawyer
Wheeeee
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Am I the first to say Edmonton?
I don't know how they'll do it but they'll find a way

Failing that, I predict Austria

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:07 AM
  #36
fsanford
Registered User
 
fsanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
If you don't know anything about a certain subject, don't pretend that you're an expert. Just don't embarass yourself. I think that's a pretty good rule to go by, and not only on hfboads.
Maybe you should take some of your own advice.
Your the one that said it is not logical to consider NHL talent when deciding who might do well in the tournament. Is that not what you said?

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:09 AM
  #37
SoundAndFury
Registered User
 
SoundAndFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
If you don't know anything about a certain subject, don't pretend that you're an expert. Just don't embarass yourself. I think that's a pretty good rule to go by, and not only on hfboads.
Got to agree on this one. It's like those guys telling Zuccarello will be the captain of Norway just because he's the only player they know. If you know nothing - then say nothing.

Difference between Latvia's and Slovenia's depth is huge. What many of you are saying now is basically like someone telling that China would have won a basketball game against Spain when they had Yao Ming. Or that Crosby would win the Stanley Cup with an AHL team.

__________________
no kind of logic, intelligence or philosophy can ever win a fight against ignorance, superstition or stupidity (Justinov) - a thing to remember on HFBoards
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
  #38
SoundAndFury
Registered User
 
SoundAndFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Your the one that said it is not logical to consider NHL talent when deciding who might do well in the tournament. Is that not what you said?
He said it's not logical to base your decision on NHL talent when it makes up 1/25 of the team. There's a big difference.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
  #39
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Well given the NHL is the best hockey league in the world, and if you have a player from that league, who is considered one of its premier players, it certainly cannot hurt the Slovenian's.

So are you saying that picking teams that have NHL players to have better tournaments, is illogical?
The Latvian team may not have anyone of the caliber of Kopitar, but it's composed mostly of players from the KHL, and the other players mostly play in top-level leagues like the Swiss and Finnish Leagues.

The Slovenian team, while they have an all-world player, there is a huge drop-off after him and Jan Mursak. They have a goalie from the Slovakian league, a d-man in the Czech League, as well as a few players playing in the DEL, but everyone else comes from a lower-level league.

I think it's pretty obvious that Latvia has a better team past the first player.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
  #40
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy
 
Kaner Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
Probably one of the Russias.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
  #41
Namejs
Registered User
 
Namejs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rīga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Maybe you should take some of your own advice.
Your the one that said it is not logical to consider NHL talent when deciding who might do well in the tournament. Is that not what you said?
It is logical to consider NHL talent, if that respective team is NHL-based.

Otherwise you're comparing 1 player to no other players and comparing 2 teams consisting of 50 different players based on that 1 player.

It's like saying that the Lithuanian national team should beat Latvia, because they have Zubrus. Yet the last time we played, they lost 27:0.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
  #42
SoundAndFury
Registered User
 
SoundAndFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
It's like saying that the Lithuanian national team should beat Latvia, because they have Zubrus. Yet the last time we played, they lost 27:0.
That was so only because they didn't have Zubrus at the time. Otherwise, they would had won

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
  #43
Namejs
Registered User
 
Namejs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rīga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 883
This is the Latvian record since the Salt Lake Olympics vs. all the bottom-ranked teams playing in Sochi 2014:
vs. Austria: 5-0-1 (+12 GD)
vs. Slovenia: 4-0-1 (+6 GD)
vs. Norway: 3-0-2 (+4 GD)
vs. Slovakia: 1-1-2 (-7 GD)
vs. Switzerland: 1-1-4 (-7 GD)
Total: 14-2-10 (+8 GD)

Slovenian record:
vs. Austria 1-0-3 (-3 GD)
vs. Norway 0-0-1 (-2 GD)
vs. Latvia 1-0-4 (-6 GD)
vs. Slovakia 0-1-2 (-7 GD)
vs. Switzerland 0-0-1 (-6 GD)
Total: 2-1-10 (-24 GD)

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
  #44
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?
 
Benedict Kovalchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CASCADIA NOW
Country: Malta
Posts: 2,403
vCash: 500
The Russians. Submitting two national teams = one getting disqualified.

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:15 AM
  #45
avsfansince95
Registered User
 
avsfansince95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
cananda getting the leafs treatment... AM I RIGHT GUYS ROFLCOPTER!!!

avsfansince95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
  #46
fsanford
Registered User
 
fsanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
This is the Latvian record since the Salt Lake Olympics vs. all the bottom-ranked teams playing in Sochi 2014:
vs. Austria: 5-0-1 (+12 GD)
vs. Slovenia: 4-0-1 (+6 GD)
vs. Norway: 3-0-2 (+4 GD)
vs. Slovakia: 1-1-2 (-7 GD)
vs. Switzerland: 1-1-4 (-7 GD)
Total: 14-2-10 (+8 GD)

Slovenian record:
vs. Austria 1-0-3 (-3 GD)
vs. Norway 0-0-1 (-2 GD)
vs. Latvia 1-0-4 (-6 GD)
vs. Slovakia 0-1-2 (-7 GD)
vs. Switzerland 0-0-1 (-6 GD)
Total: 2-1-10 (-24 GD)
Your stats include a period of time that are not indicative of how the teams are currently made up. You probably need to focus on post Vancouver

I suspect the 2 wins for Slovenia came since the Vancouver games.
I also believe that 3 losses to Latvia occurred before the Vancouver games.


So the record between Latvia and Slovenia since the Vancouver games is 1-1.
with GD favoring the Slovenian's, right?

Also I am pretty sure Kopitar did not play in either of those game given the time they occurred. Not sure if the Latvian team had all of their players, maybe they did not.

The Swiss game is one of those extreme's (for both clubs) , other than that seems Slovenian have played mostly 1 goal games, where top end NHL guy like Kopitar maybe could have an impact.

Now granted some of those lower teams might have been missing NHL talent too, Austria-Vanek (though Sabres were not in playoffs so he probably did play in World Championships if they were in May), Norway off the top of my head nobody, Latvia as you mention no NHL players, Swiss (probably missing NHL players) Slovakia (Hossa, Chara, just to name a few,)

Olympics, given its format is probably not the place to best determine which team finishes dead last. Slovenia has the worst draw of them all simply because they are with 3 legit medal contenders. (Latvia not much easier either).

Guess will see what happens, just glad Kopitar gets to play in a world tournament for a change

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:52 AM
  #47
latvianhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Team- Who has 3 Stanley cup finalists and has 8(9) players with NHL experience- will finish last...

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  #48
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,890
vCash: 50
I'm guessing Latvia or Austria.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  #49
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Norway

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM
  #50
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,277
vCash: 50
Canada tied for 2nd

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.