HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

How many competitive teams could Canada send to the Olympics?

Old
01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I call this subject as Canada's fall back tactic - if all else fails they can bore their competition to death by talking endlessly about their depth... I think we get, it's vaguely interesting like for 3 seconds, but after that the fact that it could not mean less that Canada could send like 80 teams to medal in Sochi (and one of them solely consisting of grandmothers) will just take over.
I would actually pay to see that. Those grannies sure know how to play mean...

But, yeah, I see what you mean here. Lot of insecurity from canadian fans. I think people just have to realize that there's a few contenders in this tournament, but the 1 game elimination format means that upsets are bound to happen.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Quares27

vCash: 500
It depends how you organize the teams... If instead of Luongo-Price-Smith you went Luongo-Reimer-Emery with the intention of just starting Luongo every game (maybe the backup vs horrible teams or in pointless games) and you had a 4th line along the lines of Greening-Kelly-Ott instead of Nash-Bergeron-Benn then you could probably put together a little more than 10 competitive teams.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 08:35 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
You just need 25 number one thought, but then again already hard to do, they will not be good (goaltending is already canada "weakest" point for a while vs USA, Sweden and Finland.

I think a system with 2 good offensive line and 2 elite third liner-second liner for your bottom 6 had a lot of success in those tournament, finland for an example, often had only 2 line of nhl stars and had a lot of olympics success.

Maybe having player playing their usual roles and closer to their normals number of minutes can help, but then again the sample size of elimination olympics game since 1998 is so so small for every team, that saying any conclusion on result is almost silly. The maximum number of real games played by any nation since 1998 is was, 12 games ! not more than 2 round of nhl playoff in only one year.
For sure. Even just talking the 25 starters...there's what, 10-15 Canadian Starters in the NHL? Another 10-15 backups? (All off the top of my head numbers). After that, you're in juniors/AHL territory. Another scarcity will be defensemen eventually, especially right-handed defensemen. It's just a lot to suppose that one nation could send more than 5 squads in any event in any Olympics that could compete at the highest level against other nations' best.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:16 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshots1515 View Post
For sure. Even just talking the 25 starters...there's what, 10-15 Canadian Starters in the NHL? Another 10-15 backups? (All off the top of my head numbers). After that, you're in juniors/AHL territory. Another scarcity will be defensemen eventually, especially right-handed defensemen. It's just a lot to suppose that one nation could send more than 5 squads in any event in any Olympics that could compete at the highest level against other nations' best.
I think Canada could send six competitive teams with a shot for a medal. (Team Pacific, Team West, Team Atlantic, two Ontario teams (either you split the talent or have 'A' and 'B' roster), Team Quebec, and maybe even Team Snubbed with players who didn't make any of these teams)

If you want just gold-contenders, we could make three teams IMO, who could beat any of Russia, US, Sweden, in my opinion.

True Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Thesensation19

I think the best countries, USA/Sweden/Finland/Russia can send two teams.

I think Canada can probably send about 4 or 5.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:57 AM
dbhislife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Christ. I need to go back to school for math classes. I got a completely different answer.
I am glad you did because his math was way way off lol

dbhislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:09 AM
lawrence

Canada can ice 3 good teams, if they allocate their depth properly, not like over stack 1 team. 3 good team competitive teams that can compete for the gold medal. At least 3 good teams.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Ola

Competetive teams? Many.

What is a competetive team? Fans in NA seldom see teams at one level play teams at another level. My bet is that any team in the AHL more or less could beat any team in the OG's. I mean, its hockey. I've seen it several times. Any team in the AHL couldn't do it several times after another, and hence win gold. That just seem unlikely (but they could definitely win the typical 19-55 in shots but 2-0 win game like every 15th game or whatever).

I would be suprised if Canada couldn't ice 10 teams that could compete in the OG's, in the sense that if they were lucky as hell they could go all the way.

They could probably ice around 2-3 teams that take some kind of position on Russia, Sweden and the US.

That is an dramatic upgrade over any other country. Sweden could ice a helluva blueline for a Team B.

Hedman-Brodin
Hampus Lindholm-Strålman
Enström-Adam Larsson
Grossman-Gunnarsson

But upfront, they would be really thin. Zinbanejad, Hörnqvist, Ma. Johansson, Nyqvist, Paajarvi, Lindholm and some clutch players from especially the KHL.

I think Sweden's team B could compete in the sense that they would be in the top 8.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Eazy T

Sweden's B team would be like what, Canada's C team? Russia's B team?

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:04 PM
trobby

We don't have enough goalie depth to send a second team.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

We've barely got the goaltending to cover even one Olympic gold medal contending team.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:31 PM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post

We don't have enough goalie depth to send a second team.
Ward, Crawford, Scrivens, Harding, S.Mason, Fleury, Elliott, Reimer, Bernier, Holtby

Well, after Crawford and Fleury it's nothing special, but Reimer, Bernier and Harding are still solid goaltenders.

True Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:35 PM
jgoud

They could send 4 competitive teams.

jgoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:24 AM
jgoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikfromfin View Post
And i could be goalkeeper in 3 of them. not that ive ever been a goalie.
Please don't use the excuse of goaltending as to why Canada couldn't dress 4 competitive teams. Crawford, Harding, Holtby, Reimer, Bernier, Fleury, Ward, Scrivens and Mason are all capable 1st string goalies in the NHL. They aren't the best but the D and Forwards would more than make up for it. If you subtract goaltending, Canada's 4th best team would look equivalent to Finland's on paper.

And you think they would evenly distribute the best goalies among all 4 teams. That would give you Price+Luongo (Team#1), Smith+Harding, Crawford+Holtby, Bernier+Reimer. Not too bad.

Old
01-31-2014, 12:35 AM
llwyd

Oh, I didn't answer the question - it's 47 actually. Now, can we give Canadians some sort of permanent gold medal for depth, they have earned it! (And it might quiet them down on this never-ending subject...)

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 01:39 AM
Erikfromfin

98 Dominik Hasek
02 Martin Brodeaur
06 Henrik Lundqvist
10 Roberto Luongo

it usually takes special goaltending to win these modern olympics and im sure same will be in sochi. only country that could have 4 teamfuls 12 goalkeepers to contend at the olympic level is finland.

Erikfromfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 01:47 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
I think Canada could send six competitive teams with a shot for a medal. (Team Pacific, Team West, Team Atlantic, two Ontario teams (either you split the talent or have 'A' and 'B' roster), Team Quebec, and maybe even Team Snubbed with players who didn't make any of these teams)

If you want just gold-contenders, we could make three teams IMO, who could beat any of Russia, US, Sweden, in my opinion.

could sure, but wouldn't be favored. Goaltending is terrible.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 01:49 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
Please don't use the excuse of goaltending as to why Canada couldn't dress 4 competitive teams. Crawford, Harding, Holtby, Reimer, Bernier, Fleury, Ward, Scrivens and Mason are all capable 1st string goalies in the NHL. They aren't the best but the D and Forwards would more than make up for it. If you subtract goaltending, Canada's 4th best team would look equivalent to Finland's on paper.

And you think they would evenly distribute the best goalies among all 4 teams. That would give you Price+Luongo (Team#1), Smith+Harding, Crawford+Holtby, Bernier+Reimer. Not too bad.
That's a mighty big if. Canada's goalies blow. All the best NHL goalies are non-Canadian. Every year some new goalie(s) come over from Europe that nobody's heard of and push more Canadian goalies out of the league.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:24 AM
jgoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
That's a mighty big if. Canada's goalies blow. All the best NHL goalies are non-Canadian. Every year some new goalie(s) come over from Europe that nobody's heard of and push more Canadian goalies out of the league.
The goalie pairings I picked would be fine for an olympic calibre team, especially the first 3 canadian team's players in front of them.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:54 AM
FosterHewitt

I just want to see one competitive team! Anyone remember 2006? Theoretically, Canada B and Canada C would be very talented teams. How competitive? Better than the lowest teams in the pool but probably not good enough to medal

FosterHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 04:06 AM
FosterHewitt

2018 Olympics with the nhl still involved. The lineup: Canada, Canada B, Canada C, Canada D, Canada E, Sweden, Russia, USA, Czech, Slovakia, Finland, Swiss ( relax I kid)

FosterHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Fragmuffin

add up all its NHL, AHL (-the goons) and eruopean players from KHL, SEL, Liiga, Cze Extraliga, NLA, DEL, Allsvenskan, EBEL, Svk Extraliga... shuffle 'em up and divide by 23.... thats how many

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
jmarc0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
Yes, the Canadian C team could beat the Russian A team, but it could not medal. Do you think the Swiss will medal this time? Well neither will Team Canada C.
Who knows ? During last international tournament Switzerland had nine victory (Canada, USA, Sweden, Czech 2 times and smaller teams) before loosing against Sweden in final. Ok there weren't olympic team but Oviechkin the Sedin twins and many more where there so... It would be difficult for Switzerland to have a medall in Sotchi but definitly not impossible. As it would be for Canada C,D,E,or F.

In Europe we are use to game between Sweden B and Canda D or Switzerland B and Canada E, and Canada is always competitive. Now how many teams... I would say a lot as there're a lot of talented Canadian players not only playing in NHL but all aroud the world.

jmarc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post

Except there's a HUGE difference between the guys you listed and Rask. Goaltending could be considered to be the most important single position on the team, you can't just subtract it.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote