HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Real Rangers Fans???

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Real Rangers Fans???

I see so much negativity on this board that it makes me wonder who the REAL RANGERS FANS ARE?

some of you wanted to buy old guys at 5-8 million a season. are you crazy???
I guess you want to continue what we did the last 7 years???? Keep buying old players for 5-8 million for long term contracts and then be stuck with them when they get even OLDER???

we got straka, rucinsky,and nieminen for 1 year deals. We can get rid of them next season and get a real stud who is 29...someone like Chara or Thornton. Do any of you really get what building for the future is???? We wont contend for Cup now...so we dont need old guys now who will only be OLDER when we do go for the CUP!

Old
08-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Sicilian

vCash: 500
i think those on this board who truly want us to sign big name free agents are a vast minority. and even then they're probably only suffering from "big name withdrawal"

most people here want a rebuild and know that what's being done needs to be done, but at the same time, can you blame people for being negative. i have before and i regret it, i missed the point of the negativity entirely.

this situation here is not an ideal one. we waited too long to rebuild, and got shafted at the draft lottery, and have no top line forward talent ready to play this year. our moves don't look good because right now the team still requires a great deal of cleaning up. when you blow something up, you have to clear the rubble before you lay the new foundation, and i think that's what this year is going to be. a whole lot of ugly, messy, cleaning, but in the end, we're gonna see a nice, clean, empty lot and a bunch of building materials to start our new franchise.

unless sather does something stupid, of course

Old
08-05-2005, 03:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yeah, like signing Leclair... looks like your a lightning fan to me.. talk about "real ranger fans"

Old
08-05-2005, 03:55 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Nieminen is a 2 year deal whcih is what im fine with, he can be a real nasty player very competitive. If he succeeds in NY I wouldnt mind him getting another extension when his 2 yrs is up. Malik I dont like the 3 year deal 2 years would have been ok and for less $$. As for Straka 1 year great signing im looking foward to watching him.Rucinsky deserved a deal glad he is herealways worked hard a a NYR 1 year deal is also fine gives some guys like jessiman, Dawes etc to see what they can do you never they could earn a spot next year and both are LW's. Weekes I dont like that signning at all.

Now i want a rebuild theese contracts for one year are ok with me , I was one that didnt want forsberg and Naslund, here i dont want Lindros or Leclair here etc. Im for a rebuild and like to see some good vets fill in till the young guys are ready to step in..

The 1 year signnings i feel are done for 2 reasons, 1 is to give the ytounger guys like Jess, dawes and who ever else this year to see what they do or to have sometrade bait at the dead line to acquire picks. I can see Straka, rucinsky and even Jagr being dealt with those 3 guys especially Jagr NYR should pick upatleast 1 or 2 first rounders a one or two seconds and maybe a couple thirds and maybe some where in there a prospect or 2. depending how it works.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:01 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
I see so much negativity on this board that it makes me wonder who the REAL RANGERS FANS ARE?

Don't tell people how to be "real" fans. It's obnoxious.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus

I'm not telling anyone anything. Just all Rangers fans here screamed for SATHER to rebuild the last 7 years...and now when he is, you want him to go back and buy OLD FARTS??? that's rather hypocritical and sad to me...

as for me, I am a Rangers fan first...yet I also like Colorado,Tampa Bay,Atlanta and other teams...I don't see anything wrong with it.

...and nice to see that the "real" fans know what we are doing is right. These moves will all pay off in the future. And I am very excited to even watch the team this year...plenty of young prospects along with hard-workers like Nieminen,Rucinsky,Straka. I won't be surprised if we play very well even this year.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
i think those on this board who truly want us to sign big name free agents are a vast minority. and even then they're probably only suffering from "big name withdrawal"

most people here want a rebuild and know that what's being done needs to be done, but at the same time, can you blame people for being negative. i have before and i regret it, i missed the point of the negativity entirely.

this situation here is not an ideal one. we waited too long to rebuild, and got shafted at the draft lottery, and have no top line forward talent ready to play this year. our moves don't look good because right now the team still requires a great deal of cleaning up. when you blow something up, you have to clear the rubble before you lay the new foundation, and i think that's what this year is going to be. a whole lot of ugly, messy, cleaning, but in the end, we're gonna see a nice, clean, empty lot and a bunch of building materials to start our new franchise.

Great analogy, I agree

Old
08-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Barnaby

I'd say anyone on a hockey message board after well over a year without hockey is a pretty real Ranger fan.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
BigE

Quote:

I guess you want to continue what we did the last 7 years???? Keep buying old players for 5-8 million for long term contracts and then be stuck with them when they get even OLDER???

we got straka, rucinsky,and nieminen for 1 year deals. We can get rid of them next season and get a real stud who is 29...someone like Chara or Thornton. Do any of you really get what building for the future is???? We wont contend for Cup now...so we dont need old guys now who will only be OLDER when we do go for the CUP!
You've been posting on this side of the board for three days; who is we? How would that be enough time to pigeon-hole all of us under the same mantra as two or three idiots?

Get off your soap box, please.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:13 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
He never did, relax man.

He said who are the real ranger fans witha question mark, that does mean he is asking and not telling, and if you read his post as i did i understand what he meant thats why my response was what it was.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:21 PM
eco's bones

Actually I'm very happy that the Rangers and the NHL are back. As far as our lineup goes I expect we're going to get clobbered regularly and our chances of picking up a Thornton or Chara is going to depend on us having the cap space and on their
being willing to come here and maybe other teams not having the cap space. That is why I don't understand contracts like Zhamnov's. Are we going to have a shot at Kessell? I don't know.
From the team I see though we're bottom 5.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:32 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
I would even go to say bottom 3 which might be to much, but teams like Carolina ( maybe better but not much, still could and will be pretty bad )and Cmbs, Chicago will be better, along with Pitts, so i see NYR being with possibly Washington and maybe Carolina as the 3 worst teams in the league.

alot of these teams have good young players and Chicago, Pitts, Cmbs, Ana, some what Carolina have made some good signings of late and I expect to them to somewhat contend very hard ( not Carolina they just might be a bit better ) leaving NYR basically at the bottom along with Washington. there will obviously be others but who can tell right now all of these teams that looked to be bad have made signings so lets see what happens. Im excited about this year and look foward to seeing who will be where and who does what especially with all of these signing's it will be an interesting season.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:43 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I take great pride in being an "unreal Ranger Fan",

Old
08-05-2005, 05:51 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
I see the rangers as a motivated bunch, unlike the teams of past. All the young guys will have to try their hardest every shift to keep a spot on the roster, like Garth Murray and Jed Ortmeyer from the last NHL season. Yet with the lack of proven talent (hopefully there will be some by mid-season), i dont see the rangers winning a whole lot of games.

And i agree with NYC Aim 4588 on the bottom 3, but i dont see them getting kessel or the #1 pick, thats just ranger luck..

Old
08-05-2005, 05:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I take great pride in being an "unreal Ranger Fan",
How about a surreal Ranger fan?

Old
08-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Janerixon

I see where 2forsberg is going with this one, its obvious that there are two kinds of ranger fans those who want big names here and those who want whats best for the team and some people think that as long as we sign a big name or two and play utes things can progress

that is not really how it works because we all know that if this team signs a big name or two and we look like we can make it into the playoffs sather will trade a kid or two (prob a kid we dont need to trade) in an attempt to get into the playoffs and make a push

i dont think we need to sign any big names period, i would have liked to have signed rathje cause he is a personal favorite but im glad we signed rosie, malik, and im very happy with the niemmen signing, straka is the only player we signed i could do without

unfortunately i still think there are more signings to come and not neccessarily good ones, we could see mess coming back, slats may sign an older veteran type (i dont see leclair but sather has done stranger things), i mean who knows maybe bobo will be back

the only players i could be happy about signing would be hamrlik or ragnarsson, either of them would solidify our top 4 d-man and really make tom poti more tradeable, im not sure we will get a great return for him but to me the most useful poti is a traded tom poti, he made strides to be a better d-man but i just dont ever see him being a solid 2 way defensemen in a ranger uniform (due to our lack of ever playing a "system")

so basically im saying im glad we stayed away from the big names, and im not even saying we should get a big name next year, look at tampa it took them quite some time to get where they did, they stuck it out with vinny and waited and waited, we need to get the right pieces at the right times, im not sure next year will be that right time, but i do want this team to address our defense so whoever is playing goal be it weekes, lundqvist, or montoya or someone else this year and next we are not just throwing them to the wolves

im fine with malik, kasper, and tyutin as 3 of our top 4 d-men but id like to add one more solid d-man, deal poti and then let lampman, purinton, strudwick, kondratiev, pock and etc fight it out for the 5, 6 and 7 spots

Old
08-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Evgeny Oliker

yes, i am glad many of you DID get what I was saying. Fans should worry about the future of the team, not just the present. DO you want us to be a GREAT team that can contend every year like NJ or do you want us to live and die by injuries to our old players?

I don't question that everyone is a RANGERS FAN here, I do question how much some of you care about the FUTURE of this team.

But I am happy to see so many of you at least understanding and even supportive the rebuilding process. I hope those who are against it will see how important this step is when next year comes.

As for where we finish, I think the Rangers of this year will surpise many...I see them going .500 and steadily improving over the course of the season.

GO RANGERS GO!

Old
08-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I don't question that everyone is a RANGERS FAN here, I do question how much some of you care about the FUTURE of this team.
You're questioning how much people who have been members of Hockey's Future NYR message board for many, many years care about the future of the team? Ok.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2
And i agree with NYC Aim 4588 on the bottom 3, but i dont see them getting kessel or the #1 pick, thats just ranger luck..
Fine by me, I'll take Frolik and be as happy as a pig in mud. That kids got game. The Czech Malkin!

Old
08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
If this team finishes 500 we are in trouble.

If you are going to suck you might as well get a lottery pick out of it and a potential franchise player. I know this team is built right now to get eaten up on a daily basis. I'll worry if they start winning. They can't and shouldn't win this year, and don't give me no garbage about you'll ruin the psychological makeup of our young guys.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:23 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I think you hit the nail on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian

when you said that we waited too long to rebuild. I differ a bit on that as to when the rebuild actually started (not at the trade deadline 03-04), but I think the majority of fans were frustrated that Sather really didn't tear the team apart when he came in. Again, I think he was hampered a bit by what Dolan wanted in the beginning. What you see posted on here validated the perception by mgmt that ny fans won't stand for a real rebuild.

Typical of what u see here now is people saying we should sign this or that guy. This year is really no different than other UFA classes except that there are more of the same old UFA's that were on the pre cap market save that there are more of them. People miss the point about conserving your cap space for when the younger studs come on the market.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:

I want the two guys in your avatar.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:58 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588
He never did, relax man.

He said who are the real ranger fans witha question mark, that does mean he is asking and not telling
No he wrote that he wonders who the real Rangers fans are. This is a statement not a question, but he closes with a question mark which implies that he's offering a rhetorical question.

He answers this question in the first line of the next paragraph. He identifies a segment of the fan base and calls them crazy. The structure of his opening states that these fans are not the "real" Ranger fans; they are crazy people.

Finally, his post does not examine why either position in a rebuilding is valid. He is arguing that only those who support a rebuilding are not "crazy." If he was genuinely asking the question, "Who are the real Ranger fans?" he would presumably be discussing the merits of both sides of the question. He doesn't do this and that further solidifies his question as nothing more than a rhetorical one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
How about a surreal Ranger fan?
It's the team that's surreal, not the fans.

Last edited by dedalus: 08-05-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old
08-06-2005, 12:45 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
No he wrote that he wonders who the real Rangers fans are. This is a statement not a question, but he closes with a question mark which implies that he's offering a rhetorical question.

He answers this question in the first line of the next paragraph. He identifies a segment of the fan base and calls them crazy. The structure of his opening states that these fans are not the "real" Ranger fans; they are crazy people.

Finally, his post does not examine why either position in a rebuilding is valid. He is arguing that only those who support a rebuilding are not "crazy." If he was genuinely asking the question, "Who are the real Ranger fans?" he would presumably be discussing the merits of both sides of the question. He doesn't do this and that further solidifies his question as nothing more than a rhetorical one.

It's the team that's surreal, not the fans.
Dedalus are you getting philosophical on us again???

Anyways I'm going to chime in on this one because I too hate Ranger fans that are way too negative. I do agree - the franchise has been a miserable failure for some time now and we all have the right to express how we feel. The bottom line is that we can not let the past failures obstruct how we view the present. We are all used to misery - we went 52 years without a stanley cup and were tormented plenty by fans across the NHL. This is nothing compared to that!!! When the puck finally drops on the ice at Madison Square Garden this year it will mark a new era for all Ranger fans. For the first time in a really long time we will have to support a team that is made up of mostly youngsters with little NHL experience. They will need as much support as possible.

Let's do something really crazy and look at the bright side of things for a change:

A) We have arguably the best goalie prospects in the entire NHL.
B) We have very good prospects on defense with outstanding depth.
C) We have great role players and physical "grinders" in our system.
D) We do have some talent up front with skill.

So you see things are not that bad. I know that most Ranger fans have been conditioned to think the worst, but every situation is unique and things change.

If you totally disagree with me then you really think things are really bad...then guess what - they can only get better.

Old
08-06-2005, 12:47 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Hate is too strong of a word - I can never "hate" any Ranger fan.

Closed Thread