HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who's the Rangers' prospect with the highest offensive upside?

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 03:44 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

vCash: 500
Who's the Rangers' prospect with the highest offensive upside?

Forget the 2-way game of defense, but just offensive upside, be it goals or points, and what's the upside there? Is it Dawes? Will the "new NHL" help his game despite his size?

Old
08-05-2005, 03:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Forget the 2-way game of defense, but just offensive upside, be it goals or points, and what's the upside there? Is it Dawes? Will the "new NHL" help his game despite his size?
I would say right now it is Dawes.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I would say right now it is Dawes.
I agree. Next is Immonen.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Barnaby

If Dawes is our best offensive prospect, then we are screwed.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Edge

pure offense it might be Dawes.

If he devlopes and the league really cuts down on the grabbing, Jessiman isn't going to be easy to stop either. But Dawes is probably the most offensivly dynamic of our prospects.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Highest potential would definately be Jessiman. Dawes second. Immonen / Prucha / Balej all tied for third.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Edge

I dont think Jessiman has the highest upside. I think if both develop (wouldnt that be a dream), Dawes is just pure TNT. Jessiman will probably do more all around, if you have an open game and a lose game Dawes just sees the ice better.

Jessiman's bigger flaw so far is he just can't see the ice. If he were 6'0, he'd have been an average college player. If the game is open, i just dont think there is anything Dawes couldnt do with a puck.....potentially.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
If Dawes is our best offensive prospect, then we are screwed.
Not screwed but that does illustrate rather well this team's need for top line forward prospects.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
dumpsathernow*

Jessiman and it isn't close. Sorry, 6-6 guys headed towards 240 pounds with hands are incredibly rare.

The game also won't change as many think it will and it will not benefit smaller players. It will benefit larger players.

The players that get clutched and grabbed the most are big players like Jagr. Small players who can't contend with their size have been mugging them for years. The big player will be more dangerous now then ever.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
FLYLine24*

Id have to agree with the 2 posters who said Jessiman.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Edge

PRoblem with Jessiman isnt his hands, or his feet or even his size for that matter. The problem is the same thing thats hurt him for the last two years of college and hurt his ability to impress at two rookie camps and a USA WJC camp.....his on ice vision is lacking right now. He's simply having a hard time seeing the bigger picture on the ice. Jessiman's biggest asset is his size, not necessarily his offense. His size makes his offense better, but to see Dawes is to really see something special. Now for all we know, they could both bust, but I really believe that as a pure offensive threat Dawes is the deadliest. Though personally I wouldn't mind having a TB problem of the bigger LeCalvier (Jessiman) and the smaller St. Louis ( Dawes) but that is truly wishful thinking.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:29 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
PRoblem with Jessiman isnt his hands, or his feet or even his size for that matter. The problem is the same thing thats hurt him for the last two years of college and hurt his ability to impress at two rookie camps and a USA WJC camp.....his on ice vision is lacking right now. He's simply having a hard time seeing the bigger picture on the ice. Jessiman's biggest asset is his size, not necessarily his offense. His size makes his offense better, but to see Dawes is to really see something special. Now for all we know, they could both bust, but I really believe that as a pure offensive threat Dawes is the deadliest. Though personally I wouldn't mind having a TB problem of the bigger LeCalvier (Jessiman) and the smaller St. Louis ( Dawes) but that is truly wishful thinking.
Well rookie camp is next week..lets see how he does.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Not screwed but that does illustrate rather well this team's need for top line forward prospects.
Yes, allow me to rephrase if you will... In terms of quality offensive potential we are screwed There is not one guy I look at and think: This guy is gonna score some points!

Old
08-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Edge

I think there are guys with potential to put up some points, but i dont see any game breakers out there.

However its so hard to project numbers right now because no one knows if scoring is going to go up a lot this year.

15 years ago a GREAT first line center scored over 100 points, now it's more like 70. No one knows where it's going to fall again.

Perhaps this might be a better question in 12 months.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:16 PM
free0717

What about Darren Olver?

Old
08-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Onion Boy

I think the new rule changes are being overrated by fans (and several GMs it seems). It all hinges on whether the refs call it tight. If they don't, we might see even less scoring and open ice (see RSL).

I would probably agree with Dawes, though I seriously believe that Korpikoski will develop into an offensive star as well. He's got that same explosive element, IMO. I'm starting to doubt Jessiman.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
dumpsathernow*

I agree and as I said it will benefit bigger players more. You will see a ton of penalties on small players if they call obstruction. They will have no way to stop the big players from skating up the ice or in the corners.

Old
08-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Edge

i think to some extent it comes down to who you think is more likely to actually live up to their potential.

Closed Thread