HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

More love for our announcers

Old
01-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Sheet

vCash: 50
Moser almost made me cause a massive multi car accident on I-25 just between foco and loveland during the dallas game... Jeeeeeeeeesus that guy... He'd be calling normal plays, i'd be all relaxed, and then all out of no "SAVE VARLAMOV."

What was that one guy that they kept playing? "Not only do I like it, I want to spread it on toast and eat it.." Was that CBJ? I get the feeling he'd be a riot to listen to.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
I can't stand how they will never point out a single mistake by the Avs. This is why I normally watch other teams feeds on GCL, unless their playing teams like Detroit (Redmond is the worst), Chicago (Foley and Olczyk are incredibly annoying), Nashville, Vancouver (John Garret. Enough said. Also Shorthouse has a bad voice IMO), Anaheim (Brian Hayward is the Glenn Healy of the USA), New Jersey (Chico sucks), Pittsburgh (probably the worst duo going today) or Boston (Jack Edwards is a blowhard, and Andy Brickley has the world's most unfortunate accent). These teams are the ones who are worse than the Avs IMO. On par withe the Avs I would put Toronto, NYR, NYI and LA.

I like Dallas' guys. Darryl Reagh will pull no punches. Same with San Jose. Tampa and Carolina have great PxP men (Peckham and Forslund) but bad color guys (The Chief and Tripp Tracey). Winnipeg has a solid cast.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 04:13 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Haynes has been much more vocal this season when the opposition scores. (quick examples the first two I looked up, the first Nashville and Dallas games)
I think they have improved tremendously this season compared to the ones prior.
They still have the annoying tendency to not point out glaring mistakes by us, but at least they are complementing the other team when they do something nice.

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but there are many many worse duos out there.
There are only a few others that I can stand listening to (e.g. NJ, Tampa, Dallas, Islanders, Rangers, Philly, Ottawa, Canadiens, Winnipeg), and only two I'd rather listen to (Carolina, Washington).

I think we are doing quite fine with ours.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:28 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Honestly, I'm on the fence with Haynes. He annoys me sometimes but that's just me. He's a hell of a lot better than the assclown that came before...Doug whatshisface...

McNab on the other hand used to piss me off because he and all his play-by-play men have had a tendency to really get sidetracked into stories and not actually discuss the game in front of them.
I complained about this here.
A lot.

Then I decided to think of it as just watching the game in a bar and McNab happened to be sitting next to me talking to a friend of his while the game was going on. I liked him a lot better. Just an old-timer telling stories and sharing some insight from time to time. As others have said, he's a hell of a lot smarter about the game than he lets on. I suppose he has a sunny disposition though and doesn't like to trash anyone, except himself (he's very self-deprecating.) The last few years must've been more miserable for him to be paid to talk about the piss-poor performances he was watching and trying to hold his tongue. I actually like the guy now. Come full circle. He also truly knows the players around the league and does talk a good deal about the opposing team and players which is reminiscent of what you'd expect from a national broadcast team. I remember either Bucci, Doc, Thorne or Clement discussing ESPN's methodology on broadcasting during a Q&A session years ago...They said that in a national broadcast the talk should be split something like 60/40 in favor of the home team while a regional broadcast it was more appropriate to be something like 80/20. We've got a keeper in McNab.

I would like a better PBP person but who am I to argue. It's a lot better this season so I imagine winning effects more than just the fans.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:47 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I can't stand how they will never point out a single mistake by the Avs. This is why I normally watch other teams feeds on GCL, unless their playing teams like Detroit (Redmond is the worst), Chicago (Foley and Olczyk are incredibly annoying), Nashville, Vancouver (John Garret. Enough said. Also Shorthouse has a bad voice IMO), Anaheim (Brian Hayward is the Glenn Healy of the USA), New Jersey (Chico sucks), Pittsburgh (probably the worst duo going today) or Boston (Jack Edwards is a blowhard, and Andy Brickley has the world's most unfortunate accent). These teams are the ones who are worse than the Avs IMO. On par withe the Avs I would put Toronto, NYR, NYI and LA.

I like Dallas' guys. Darryl Reagh will pull no punches. Same with San Jose. Tampa and Carolina have great PxP men (Peckham and Forslund) but bad color guys (The Chief and Tripp Tracey). Winnipeg has a solid cast.
So you're saying they're better than or equal to half the teams in the league. Also, there's not a single broadcast team that will say that about their own team. None. People here want them to go off on players when they're playing bad, but it doesn't happen in professional sports. Rycroft does it a little. Haynes and McNab do a little, even if it's not directly (ex: Varlamov would like that one back=god that was a bad goal).

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
So you're saying they're better than or equal to half the teams in the league. Also, there's not a single broadcast team that will say that about their own team. None. People here want them to go off on players when they're playing bad, but it doesn't happen in professional sports. Rycroft does it a little. Haynes and McNab do a little, even if it's not directly (ex: Varlamov would like that one back=god that was a bad goal).
I'm not saying go off on a tirade against their team. But haynes and McNabb will not point out anything bad an Avs player does. A giveaway in front of Varly that leds to a goal goes practically unnoticed, or if it's mentioned the player who committed it won't be mentioned.

You are 100% wrong when you say other broadcast teams don't say that about the teams they cover. I watched the Florida game through the Panthers broadcast the other night and Bill Lindsay was pointing out small mistakes their players were committing and was very critical of their effort level until the third period. Dallas' Darryl Reaugh, San Jose's Drew Remenda, Calgary's Charlie Simmer and LA's Jim Fox also are always pointing out things their teams are doing wrong. It makes the broadcast much more enjoyable when you know the broadcaster can tell it like they see it, and don't have to bite their tongues.

Another thing that bothers me about McNabb is that he can't say "4th line". He always must say "the so-called 4th line", as if it would offend Cliche if he find out he's a fourth liner.

Having said that, McNabb is one of the more knowledgeable colour guys of the league. A guy like Terry Crisp of Nashville probably couldn't name you which teams are in which divisions or five players off each team. He always resorts to calling the opponents teams players by their numbers. Mickey Redmond of Detroit does the same thing, but I wouldn't expect anything else from that guy.

I would rank the Altitude duo as slightly below average.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I'm not saying go off on a tirade against their team. But haynes and McNabb will not point out anything bad an Avs player does. A giveaway in front of Varly that leds to a goal goes practically unnoticed, or if it's mentioned the player who committed it won't be mentioned.<snip>
I've actually heard McNab say, "that's not good", gasp or something similar on several occasions this season. You are right, he doesn't elaborate and it would be nice to give him a pen and telestrator ala the golden days of Madden and have him break down defensive lapses but I believe they leave that up to the studio (mainly Rycroft) during the intermissions. I simply don't believe it is in McNab to call players out for bad plays. He'd be a terrible head coach in the NHL. I have come to really like him though over the years. I realize he is what he is and just enjoy the tidbits he throws our way. Like I said in an earlier post, he's about as good of a color guy as you could ask for but I will add that with a better PBP guy he'd shine even more. You can't forget how often Haynes leads McNab and forces what he talks about. I've always felt a broadcast was the PBP guy's show and the color man was there to fill in a picture and provide background at the beck and call of the guy in charge of calling the game.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote