HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Kariya to the Preds

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Gaebriel

vCash: 500
Kariya to the Preds

4.5mil over 2 years (tsn). Not a bad deal, I'd have paid that.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:03 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel

That's a good signing for the Preds, as they are in a similar situation as the Panthers.

I'm keeping my eyes out for Bondra or Palffy as our big scorer signing, though I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I don't see why we couldn't afford that.

I'm starting to get skeptible about Keenan. I want to see this scorer that he's promising us. It better not be some tier 3.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:20 PM
m2k2p

Kariya will probably be injured most of the time. I think the Panthers should sign Bondra to a one year contract, Ziggy is too fragile for the long term/high priced contract he is asking.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Heimy

I smell a trade with the Quacks. They're up against the cap...maybe something like Huselius and Cairns for Sykora and Salei?

Old
08-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I doubt we would take on that much salary for 2 players. I still think we are going to make a trade at some point though.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:27 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
I smell a trade with the Quacks. They're up against the cap...maybe something like Huselius and Cairns for Sykora and Salei?
That would be sweet.The Ducks do have to get rid of some players bad, so I hope Keenan is inquiring.

Old
08-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Sonne

Send a message via AIM to Sonne
Well, if he didn't come here, this was my second choice.They need someone like him in Nashville to bring in attention, and the Preds fans I've talked to are really nice. I may just get a jersey.

Quote:
so I hope Keenan is inquiring.
Bah, you know that Keenan is busy right now getting together a Max Contract for Eric Lindros.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:00 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonne
Well, if he didn't come here, this was my second choice.They need someone like him in Nashville to bring in attention, and the Preds fans I've talked to are really nice. I may just get a jersey.

Bah, you know that Keenan is busy right now getting together a Max Contract for Eric Lindros.
Probably one for Deadmarsh and Messier too.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel
It just came up that it was 4.5 per year. They had some confusing wordings at TSN.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Sonne

Send a message via AIM to Sonne
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
Probably one for Deadmarsh and Messier too.
"You know how he do."

Quote:
It just came up that it was 4.5 per year. They had some confusing wordings at TSN.

That changes things, though I would of like Kariya here, you know that Mike Keenan won't spend that kind of money on that kind of player.

He's only give that kind of money if you are say, Mark Messier.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Acadmus

Y'know, if we had to be cheap, I wouldn't think it the worst thing in the world to bring Ivan Majesky and Andreas Lilja back to our blueline for a third pairing. At least it would ease some of our concerns about The Three Stooges (Kiwi, Krapo, and Cairnage-Joe). I seem to recall some fan disappointment when Majesky was traded. Lilja wasn't spectacular, but he wasn't out nursing a bad cough, either, and wasn't a bona fide minor leaguer, or a bone head (like - er - that other guy we had until last week).

Old
08-05-2005, 05:35 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
Y'know, if we had to be cheap, I wouldn't think it the worst thing in the world to bring Ivan Majesky and Andreas Lilja back to our blueline for a third pairing. At least it would ease some of our concerns about The Three Stooges (Kiwi, Krapo, and Cairnage-Joe). I seem to recall some fan disappointment when Majesky was traded. Lilja wasn't spectacular, but he wasn't out nursing a bad cough, either, and wasn't a bona fide minor leaguer, or a bone head (like - er - that other guy we had until last week).
I would'nt mind having Majesky back, I really liked the edge he brought to the Panthers. I remember him laying out some brutal hits.

Old
08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2k2p
I would'nt mind having Majesky back, I really liked the edge he brought to the Panthers. I remember him laying out some brutal hits.
According to the lists, they're both unrestricted...I forgot to post that

Old
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Lilja is staying over in Europe for sure, but if it came down to a choice between him and someone else, I'd rather use Krajicek, Novak or even Uchevatov.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:00 PM
m2k2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Lilja is staying over in Europe for sure, but if it came down to a choice between him and someone else, I'd rather use Krajicek, Novak or even Uchevatov.
yeah Lilja has signed with Malmo in Sweden.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
According to the lists, they're both unrestricted...I forgot to post that
Really? I'd be very happy if Majesky came back to the Panthers. We lost a lot of nastiness once we traded him (even though we got a GREAT price for him).

Old
08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Bah.. this is the same ol panthers. Cant get anything done. I fear Keenan will be trading Bouwmeester, Luongo and Horton soon for some 30's players. Finally we had an land scape to improve this team. We should had an 39M$ payroll we could have landed couple scorers + an true #1 dman. But noooo... We dont even spend the 30-32M$ promissed..

Old
08-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
We should had an 39M$ payroll we could have landed couple scorers + an true #1 dman. But noooo... We dont even spend the 30-32M$ promissed..
Mogo, relax man. We're less than a week into this. There are still plenty of very good players out there on the market, we have several real good ones we need to re-sign. Let's see what the final picture looks like before we throw it on the scrap heap and give up on the season.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther
Mogo, relax man. We're less than a week into this. There are still plenty of very good players out there on the market, we have several real good ones we need to re-sign. Let's see what the final picture looks like before we throw it on the scrap heap and give up on the season.
Im just so frustated this team cant ever execute moves when they should. We could had Kariya easily at 2.5M$. Ok we dont need more LW's.. We havent done anything to address our defense and we havent still got that scoring forward or two. Wingers out there still who can score. Palffy, Bondra, Mogilny.. that's about it.. We got no reason to acquire an center and defense is slim as Harmlik aint an Keenan kinda guy.. MacInnis and Stevens are done.. That leaves you with dman like Wesley, Bouchard, York.. umm no thanks..

My biggest fear these days is Keenan going balastic and trading Bouw, Luongo, Horton or Weiss.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Heimy

Mogo

Kariya went for $4.5 a yr. It was initially reported incorrectly but has been fixed. Keep your chin up. There's a chance we could still do "something" right.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Dude, Kariya signed for 4.5MM a year, not 2.25MM.

And I share your frustration, but I'm trying to look at the big picture. Yeah, all these teams are signing all these "stars," but at the risk of their own talent. Most of these really active teams have put themselves on the brink of the cap which means they're going to have to trade at a severe discount (i.e., see Roenick) to get back in under the cap.

Look at some of these active teams
Western Conf:
Anaheim: 12 Players $32,116,600 <-they still have to sign 11 players with under 7MM
Chicago: 14 Players $26,169,000 <- a bit better shape, but no one to really speak of on offense..
Edmonton: 15 Players $23,884,000 <- Similar to Chicago. No offense signed at all really.
Nashville: 14 Players $19,051,000 <- After Kariya, a collection of 3rd liners and no depth. But probably the best shape of the 4 above teams..

Eastern Conf:
Atlanta: 13 players $17,677,000 <- Still have to sign Heatley and Kovalchuk. Destination $35MM+ salary..
NY Isles: 8 Players $19,855,000 <- Note this doesn't include Jason York's and Brent Sopel's salaries. But that leaves another 13 players to sign with 17.5MM at the most.
Philly: 14 Players $29,078,600 <- Same boat as Anaheim. Still need to sign 9 players with less than 10MM. Still need to sign Esche and Gagne as well.
Toronto: 10 Players $29,816,600 <- This includes Owen Nolan's salary, but I smell a player dump coming from this cesspool since they can barely fill their roster out with minimum salary player with what they have left to use.

Simply put Mogo, patience is going to be a virtue here since the group 2s are going to be at a premium once these teams get to the cap and realize they have no room to move.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Optimist*

Lets look at last years stats

Kariya 11 goals 51 games

Roberts 28 goals 72 games

Neiuwendyk 22 goals 64 games

Kariya was the price of those two combined. Plus he's a little guy that plays no D and has no locker room abilities. A bunch of great GM's here thats for sure. What a waste of time. Have fun guys. As Laus3 says LATERS>

Old
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eticket
...A bunch of great GM's here thats for sure. What a waste of time. Have fun guys. As Laus3 says LATERS>

With a remark like that, don't hurry back...unless you've got Hank Aaron with you.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Optimist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
With a remark like that, don't hurry back...unless you've got Hank Aaron with you.

No problem. Just think of me when were in the playoffs. If a wave of pessimism hits me, I'l be sure to make my way back. Adios.

Closed Thread