HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan trade

View Poll Results: Would you reverse the trade?
Yes 7 6.67%
No 98 93.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Ryan trade

Being a fan of Ottawa, there has been an ongoing discussion about the trade which moved Ryan to Ottawa. To me and a lot of other Ottawa-fans, he started out excellent, but with time he's gotten flatter and more invisible. Personally I can understand the comment about him not even being able to spell "intensity".

If you could reverse that trade today, would you do it?

That means, Ryan goes back to Anaheim and Silfverberg, Noesen and 1st 2014 goes back to Ottawa.

Why, why not?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:24 AM
AngelDuck

Why would anyone reverse it? This team doesn't miss Bobby Ry. He's a good player and probably is a good guy too, but we still haven't even used the 1st round pick yet. I like the return personally. It's unfortunate that Noesen had such a serious injury

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Exit Dose

We're doing fine without him. I think that's why not. Silf and Palms both look capable of offsetting the loss.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

No

Although, Noesen had a terrible injury to miss this 95% of the season that will impact his career, but i like how it is.

We went from more or less one dimensional (have you noticed he`s not a 2 way power forward) player to two way Silfverberg and Noesen and i would like to see what that 1st pick gives us.

Bobby is a nice guy and good player and i wish him all the best in Ottawa, but i think we`re ok without him

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Nope. There's enough depth on the team to offset his scoring, and he's due to being paid (around 7m/y I think), which Ducks will allocate more wisely.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:40 AM
mighty all the way

Told you so.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Nope, Ryan played himself out of Anaheim. When the rumors started coming out about him being shopped a few years back everyone i knew supported him and didn't want him to go. By last off-season everyone was happy to see him gone. He just didn't seem to care anymore and didn't give the effort anymore. The whining about the trade rumors didn't help, your a professional so act like one.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:47 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Resounding no. Trading Ryan away was almost an addition by subtraction for Anaheim.

Silfverberg may not have the high end talent of Ryan, but he has a far better work ethic (compared to Ryan's last 2 or so years in Anaheim anyway) and is superior in the 2 way play, something which has become a requirement with BB's system. Not to mention as people have said above both Palms and Silfverberg go a long way to offsetting Ryan's contribution on the team.

Noesen is an interesting prospect and could be a solid 2nd/3rd line tweener, shame about his knee injury.

Who knows with the 1st rounder, if it becomes a top 10 pick, I'd be over the moon. Otherwise it's a valuable trading piece.

Not to mention it freed up cap room for us, which we've used to sign Penner (who for me has been a better fit on the team to this point), as well as giving extensions to Cogs and Bonino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flashheart View Post
Nope. There's enough depth on the team to offset his scoring, and he's due to being paid (around 7m/y I think), which Ducks will allocate more wisely.
I'll feel kind of sorry for the team that pays him 7m unless he finds his 2009-11 Anaheim form, just doesn't do enough away from the puck for me to justify paying a guy like him that sort of money.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:47 AM
PhoenyX

No way. We got a great return and Bobby just didn't fit with our team.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:50 AM
KenWu

Bobby Ryan had one year left and he wasn't going to come back to Anaheim.

The trade was perfect.

KenWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Flyboy34

Not taking into consideration the team dynamic and entirely based on the merit of production alone, I would reverse the trade. I'll admit, I was furious when the Ducks first made the trade.

BUT: The progress the Ducks have made without Bobby Ryan is evidence enough that they are better without him, or at least players are stepping up to fill his void (Cogliano & Bonino). Would I like the goals back? Sure, because Silf has yet to hit his stride and the goals are going to dry up sooner than later. Also, we all know that Bobby would have bolted the moment he became unrestricted because he felt the organization did him wrong.

This doesn't even take into consideration Noesen and the draft pick. If Noesen hits the ceiling of his projection (second liner) and the draft pick turns into serviceable third line forward or second pairing defensemen. I will be satisfied with the trade. If Noesen is unable to fully recover from his injury and reestablish his form or his projected ceiling drops to fringe NHL'er, we still have Silf and the draft pick.

Time will tell how the Ducks truly fair when they have to rebuild their second line next year. Ryan thus far has had a fine season and his recent performance is indicative of his play, streaky. When he's on, he's contributing and very noticeable on the ice. When he's off, he's a ghost like anybody else would be. I don't know what it was about the lockout year, but he had a difficult start. His production didn't pick up until the second half of the abbreviated season. Personally, I liked the guy and I liked his game. The only thing I didn't appreciate was how he called out the organization when there were rumors of him being traded. What did he expect Bob to do, not listen?

My hope is that we keep the Ottawa pick since we'll be drafting somewhere between 25 & 30 with our own pick.

When I take everything into consideration, I wouldn't reverse the trade. I'm happy with the return and knowing that we don't have to worry about him ditching us to test the UFA waters.

Flyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Many Ottawa fans going through getting to know Ryan is exactly why it was the right time and action to move on. He's great, but he's not consistently there, and it's hard for him to sustain real chemistry with most players. There's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that he'll go on a bit of a tear sometime soon, though, and continue the roller coaster of a ride that Sens fans go through with him. I can't help but feel a bit of schadenfreude after a bunch of them told us things about him based on 20 games, concluding that the change of scenery had entirely transformed him as a player and that he'd never take a shift off again (dramatization, may not have happened).

Well, with us being in a rather shocking 1st place in the league, there's obviously not much of a point in us changing anything like that. Palmieri is doing pretty much of what we could expect from Ryan, with a bit less skill, but some more effort. Silfverberg has been quite snakebitten, and I don't think we have found the perfect situation for him, yet, but even when he disappears he helps out with his two-way game. The pick is going to be a nice asset, any way we use it. It's really unfortunate Noesen ended up losing on the year in his development. Having this positive of an outlook on the trade in spite of that, it really illustrates how good a spot we're in and emphasizes that it was the right time to move on.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Theridion

I fanboy draft picks.
I fanboy Noeson and Silf in the system.

I love this franchise, its current players, and its future outlook.

Following this franchise is a pure joy and wildly entertaining.

Nothing about Ryans outlook or effort was fun to watch or follow. Cogs clicks with guys and just is a pleasure to watch. Ryan is not. I wanna see Silf, Vats, Lindholm improve every game, and see how high they can fly. Ryan... just showed he was awesome at times, then regressed for months on end.

Even stupid Jackman, Maroon, and Belesky have won my favor with their hard work and desire to fight for roster spots.

And its not just this year. Last year these guys were all gelling and suprising with their production amd chemistry they developed in the strike shortened year.

Ryan did not.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:30 PM
nbducksfan19

Ryan has the amazing ability to score goals consistently, but not improve a teams ability to win games (specifically big games). It is no coincidence we lost Bobby and have a better win-lose record. It's so frustrating because you watch Bobby make great plays, score pretty goals, but somehow it doesn't translate to wins - and often times those pretty goals come when the team is either up or down a couple goals. It's awesome to have 30 goal scorers, but it's even better to have talented and gritty forwards who compete their butts off and do the little things to win games.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Gibson Les Palms

The team's work ethic this year is very impressive. Don't want to alter that. No chance I'd undo this trade.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

The question is would you reverse the trade today, and the only sensible answer IMO is no. Look where we are.

It'll take a few years to ultimately decide whether the trade worked out like we wanted it to. Silf is a young guy who could go either way. Noesen's injured. The first round pick may never pan out. But as it stands right now, there's no complaint.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 12:56 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

I'm probably a bigger fan of his than anyone else's, but it really seemed like he couldn't find chemistry with anyone on the team. Couple that with the fact that we got a great prospect, a high first rounder, and a player that's producing just as much as Ryan would have... well, I can't logically see any reason to reverse it.

I've often thought if Ryan would've been better with the "new" Bonino or Perreault, but in the end, we're truly better off.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Silfverberg is not producing what Ryan would have. He's on pace for a 12-goal season. In a full season he'd have 17 goals and 45 points.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:23 PM
wesott11

I have been a huge Ryan fan since the day he was drafted, always loved seeing him succeed on the team and expected him to be a part of the team that would be built around. besides Teemu and Paul Kariya, he has been my favorite hockey player i've ever followed. Heck, he's my fiancé's once free pass should she ever get the chance.

unfortunately, whether it was his fault or managements fault, he never had any chemistry with a ducks player and every player brought in to play on the 2nd line didn't mesh with him. He didn't fit well with this team and would NOT have re-signed to stay here. This trade was amazing asset management by Murray.

We instantly brought in a prospect who showed he can keep up with NHL talent and can put up points even though he hasn't hit his stride. We got a great prospect who came in with potential to make a grab for a roster spot in the near future, unfortunately his season was ended entirely too early. And I think the Ottawa 1st gives us a HUGE amount of options going into the trade deadline or going into the draft.

The ducks are a better team today without bobby, have better team chemistry and have arguably the deepest roster and prospect pool AND the draft pick list of a team that is rebuilding.

I do wish bobby the best in Ottawa, I want him to become a superstar he has the potential to be. (Although Ottawa floundering is a beautiful thing this year)

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:54 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
nope

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Terry Yake

easily no

i liked bobby but he was just so up and down during his tenure here. he'd be lights out and then completely disappear at times. other times it just seemed like he wasn't into it at all. not only that, you could tell he had a problem with always being the 3rd guy behind getzlaf and perry. he wanted the spotlight as well but he'd never get it behind those two which to me was a major factor into why he didn't really want to be here the last couple seasons. it really seemed like he had a problem building chemistry with anyone and it would clearly show at times

i wish him the best of luck and it looks like he's doing alright in ottawa but i loved what we got in return. silfverberg looks very promising and the 1st round pick could be huge. i just hope noesen can make a full recovery from the injuries because he seems like he could make a difference in the future for this team

the ducks got great return value in the trade and it was obvious ryan had fallen out of favor with the ducks anyways and would have left through free agency the first change he got, so getting what we got in return was excellent. the ducks have shown that they are doing just fine without him

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
no..

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:07 PM
rollingdux

No, mainly because Ryan wasn't going to re-sign and he would be looking for a Kessel like deal. Plus, he just didn't seem to fit this team and became more evident as the years moved on. Ryan checked out last season & the best move for him was to trade him.

Silfver prior to his injury had a bad 3 or 4 games and after the injury pretty much the same, but he's been picking it up lately. He's 4 pts away from matching his point production last season and has played 28 games. Would like some more goals from him, but there's improvement. Really unfair to expect him to replace's Bobby's production. The team has done well in spreading the wealth.

Ryan's been struggling to score goals & some say it's ice time, others say it was injury, but the Team USA announcement hurt. I think he only has 1 goal (4 points in 10 games) since then. Not the kind of showing you wanna put out after that team USA evaluation. Sens fans who watch him game in game out probably say those numbers don't tell the whole story. He's might be snake-bit. Dog house? Ill?

But that's the kind of dry spell stretches we saw in Anaheim......also while the team was playing well. Which always was a head scratcher to me.

And in Ryan fashion, he'll score 5 goals in next 6 or 7 games and all this will go away.

Gotta be patient with him Sens fans.

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Paul4587

Not a chance. The return itself is lesser than Ryan for this year - it's mostly futures with Silfverberg being able to contribute in a depth role straight away but not having Ryan allowed us to add Penner and let the young guys step into secondary scoring roles. Team chemistry seems through the roof at this point and everybody seems to get along really well.

I also agree with Burkes assessment of Ryan - the guy can't spell intense. Great goal scorer but when he's not scoring he's not doing much of anything other than throwing the occasional hit. Consistency is the one thing holding him back from being a superstar.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 02:36 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
We can't do reverse anything until the draft AT LEAST.
I mean for all we know Ottawa could tank and finish low and we get lucky and win the lottery. We could end up with the 1st overall and get a stud player which makes the trade an easy win for us.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote