HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you believe changed to make the ducks so dominant this season?

Old
01-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Soth

vCash: 833
What do you believe changed to make the ducks so dominant this season?

Hi fellas, just wanted to ask you guys about the great season you all are having. Seems like a lot of things have changed for your team this season, and you're having great success. What things do you think changed that had the most effect on your season so far?

I'm also curious what you all think of your new coach - he seems to be doing great for you all. Anyway congrats on your success, and I look forward to seeing how well it translates for you in the playoffs (hope my Canucks dont have to face you in the first round)

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:31 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 500
I gotta believe if I single it down to one thing, it's gotta be between depth and confidence, probably depth though.

we've almost been dressing 2 lineups depending on teams we play and they've been successful

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Gliff
Salty

vCash: 1075
BB and the leaders have promoted a winning mentality.

That and Bob Murray has given BB the depth needed to role 5 lines and 4 pairings and 3 goalies.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Teemu Salami
Empty Ketchup Bottle

vCash: 300
A lot of our 3rd-4th line guys have gotten really good. Perreault trade didn't hurt. Young players are one year better. Perry and Getzlaf are having a great year. Goaltending is arguably better. Bonino is a big x-factor along with Fowler turning into a top 2 d-man and Lindholm making the team and excelling in his 17+ minute per game role along with Vatanen. Cogliano is even better and he is one of the hardest workers on the team. I could probably keep going.

Teemu Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Ducks Nation*

"Unfinished Business"

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Getzlaf and Perry living up to their new contracts, depth, and probably bigger than all is the improved blueline. Fowler has really upped his game again this year, Lovejoy continues to be much better than anybody expected, and a rookie (Lindholm) has come in and played like a veteran top 4 guy. In addition, Allen and Fistric have been very solid bottom pairing guys making few mistakes. Without the improved blueline this is just a good team. With the big improvement on the blueline, it's currently the best team in the league.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:10 PM
DuckJet
Hold the door!

vCash: 69
They believe they are the best so they play like it. A good amount of the time. And they're all workhorses. I think guys like Cogliano and Getzlaf go out there and set a great example for the rest of the team.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:31 PM
UnknownAvenger

Coaching - since BB came in, the players seem to enjoy playing for him and his system and while still weak in 1st periods, they don't take half the season to find legs like under RC. I know many say he's not a playoff coach, but with guys like Nieds around to assist and motivated veterans, I think this could be 'his year to prove doubters wrong'.

GM - BM has been getting a lot of bang for his buck with moves like Lovejoy & Perrault and even Jackman, who has been a very solid 4th liner since coming over. Didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Ryan and locked up his stars. Also locked up Cogs & Bonino to great 'bridge' contracts this season.

Youth Movement - Almost all of them have stepped up this season an bring fresh legs and energy, which I think is important to team morale/energy. They know if they are lazy, back down they go.

Goaltending - Despite Fasth's injury, Hiller & Andersen are both playing top level.

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:46 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

If I was to pick one thing it would be Fowler/Lovejoy pair.

We started this year with no top pair Dmen. Fowler is having the offensive season we expect of him while playing rock solid defense, which is pretty new to this year. Coupled with Lovejoy seeming to be the perfect pair for him.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Paul4587

Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry have been the two biggest reasons for our success with Fowler and Cogliano being two other guys who have been huge for us.

Plus our depth is awesome.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

vCash: 1832
69-22-11 in the two seasons BB has started as the coach. He's been a huge factor along with our young players starting to break in to the NHL and provide the necessary depth.

Vision from the front office is another huge reason. The retooling from 2009 to today, with our scouting staff making solid choices and BM keeping with the plan and not trading our draft picks or prospects for quick fixes.

BM has also made some outstanding moves, bringing in Cogs, Winnik and to a lesser extent, MP, Maroon and Jackman.

The emergence of Cam Fowler is possibly the biggest reason though, him taking a giant step towards #1 defender was absolutely vital. Now with Lindholm and Vatanen, I think the core of our defense is almost set for the foreseeable future. All we need now is a physical, top-4 defensive defender.

Getzlaf and Perry are of course the driving force behind this teams success. With Getzlaf taking that big step and becoming a premier leader as well as the premier offensive catalyst.

Our window is just now opening and we have tons of ammo to make a trade to send us over the top, we'll see if BM can make the final move to put this team over the top.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:23 PM
DuckJet
Hold the door!

vCash: 69
I'll echo that Boudreau is our biggest factor. His hiring ushered in a new era of regular season dominance. Meanwhile the Carlyle coached Leafs suffer from inconsistency

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'll echo that Boudreau is our biggest factor. His hiring ushered in a new era of regular season dominance. Meanwhile the Carlyle coached Leafs suffer from inconsistency
The Carlyle coached leafs have one of the worst bluelines in the NHL and mediocre depth up front to go with having no first line centre. Not really comparable situations.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Terry Yake

-Bruce has brought in a winning mentality and the guys seem to truly enjoy playing under his system

-Young guys like fowler, lindholm, and vatanen stepping up their play bigtime on D

-Depth, including the emergence of cogliano and bonino which has been huge so far this season

-Goaltending has been solid all season

-Unfinished business, it especially shows in getzlaf and perry who have been tearing it up

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry have been the two biggest reasons for our success with Fowler and Cogliano being two other guys who have been huge for us.

Plus our depth is awesome.
It can't be stated emphatically enough just how much of a difference having both Getzlaf and Perry playing at their best is.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 10:52 PM
mightyquack
Anaheim is booty

Young players developing and Getzlaf and Perry leading from the front.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
A good prospect pool that is bearing fruit.

Young NHL talent that continues to improve(and amazingly, should keep improving as we move forward).

Chemistry.

Depth.

Coaching.

Getzlaf and Perry.

I want to emphasize Getzlaf and Perry. Look at the results of Anaheim's season when Getzlaf had the worst season of his career. We have one of the best centers in the game, and one of the best wingers in the game, and they have ridiculous chemistry together. On nights when the team may not have it, the two of them can get the win for us.

01-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
One word. Depth even though me and Soj has been going at it. Love you Soj but at the same time I hate. Told you last year your gonna say youth movement this is the year hopefully

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Others have basically covered all points, but I just wanted to add a couple more.

-Players are being put in positions to succeed.

-The constant rotation of players keeps the friendly competition for playing time constant and players extra motivated.

-Players like playing for BB and appreciate his open door policy and straight forward approach. There was a telecast where someone, I think Hayward, mentioned that BB has personal meetings with players weekly to discuss what he likes/dislikes about their current game.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:40 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
DucksGo GDT, Sublime, #YouthMovement, A fan base that knows nothing about hockey, Corsi, Flying V's, but most of all - bringing back the "quack" chant.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
DucksGo GDT, Sublime, #YouthMovement, A fan base that knows nothing about hockey, Corsi, Flying V's, but most of all - bringing back the "quack" chant.

Old
01-26-2014, 11:54 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
One word. Depth even though me and Soj has been going at it. Love you Soj but at the same time I hate. Told you last year your gonna say youth movement this is the year hopefully
Anaheim's most important player's are still their veterans. Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Koivu, Cogliano, Hiller, Beauchemin, Bonino.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:55 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 758
Ducksgo GDT AINEC

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Ducks Nation*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Anaheim's most important player's are still their veterans. Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Koivu, Cogliano, Hiller, Beauchemin, Bonino.
Good job with that list. Although Fowler is still #YouthMovement and Cogs, Bonino are still semi Youth Movement.

Old
01-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Others have basically covered all points, but I just wanted to add a couple more.

-Players are being put in positions to succeed.

-The constant rotation of players keeps the friendly competition for playing time constant and players extra motivated.

-Players like playing for BB and appreciate his open door policy and straight forward approach. There was a telecast where someone, I think Hayward, mentioned that BB has personal meetings with players weekly to discuss what he likes/dislikes about their current game.
I also think that Getzlaf's evolution into the captain he has become, is a pretty underrated part. He doesn't just wear the C now. He deserves it. He is that guy.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote