HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you believe changed to make the ducks so dominant this season?

Old
01-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Nation View Post
Good job with that list.
Sarcasm?

But really, those seem to be the core guys right now, don't they? Maybe Lovejoy too. He's been damn good. Those just seem to be the guys who, night after night, are consistently the guys we lean on.

I love Selanne to death, but he really doesn't belong on it. :/ Not this season. The kids aren't consistently those guys yet either. It's pretty crazy some of the young talent we have, who are still just getting their feet wet and are already contributing. Or players like Etem and Vatanen who could/should be in the NHL. This season has been a bit surreal.

Edit: Yeah, that's true, but they are also established vets.

01-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Sarcasm?

But really, those seem to be the core guys right now, don't they? Maybe Lovejoy too. He's been damn good. Those just seem to be the guys who, night after night, are consistently the guys we lean on.

I love Selanne to death, but he really doesn't belong on it. :/ Not this season. The kids aren't consistently those guys yet either. It's pretty crazy some of the young talent we have, who are still just getting their feet wet and are already contributing. Or players like Etem and Vatanen who could/should be in the NHL. This season has been a bit surreal.

Edit: Yeah, that's true, but they are also established vets.
No not sarcasm

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
I also think that Getzlaf's evolution into the captain he has become, is a pretty underrated part. He doesn't just wear the C now. He deserves it. He is that guy.
Agreed Getzlaf has been awesome his leadership really spews through the team

Old
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
I also think that Getzlaf's evolution into the captain he has become, is a pretty underrated part. He doesn't just wear the C now. He deserves it. He is that guy.
Very good point.

Quote:
Sarcasm?

Agree with this. The youth has definitely played a big role, but as you and others have stated, youth will be youth and are prone to inconsistencies. As much as Ducksgo is going to hate me, it really is a huge luxury that we don't have to throw the likes of Etem and Vatanen in to the lineup every night and can allow them to fully develop their game in the AHL(just an example).

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Agreed Getzlaf has been awesome his leadership really spews through the team
Maybe one day he'll get the respect he deserves as a leader. I really think he's becoming one of the better captains in the league.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Maybe one day he'll get the respect he deserves as a leader. I really think he's becoming one of the better captains in the league.
I don't think that will never happen to the extent it should. But I have no problem with it, we never get any respect we deserve but I for one can care less, I get to enjoy this team and Getzlaf for a long time, its going to be an amazing next decade.

Old
01-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Good job with that list. Although Fowler is still #YouthMovement and Cogs, Bonino are still semi Youth Movement.
Cogs and Bonino are 26. That's prime production years. Fowler is in his 4th season. Those are veterans, despite Fowler's age.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Cogs and Bonino are 26. That's prime production years. Fowler is in his 4th season. Those are veterans, despite Fowler's age.
Fowler is 22, that is Youth. and Bonino is just developing...same with Cogs.

Old
01-27-2014, 01:29 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Fowler is 22, that is Youth. and Bonino is just developing...same with Cogs.
Youth by definition only, the guy has more NHL games played than Lovejoy who is close to 30. Cogs and Bonino are 26, they may not be at their peaks yet but they're close to it.

We have a lot of good young players in our system but the roster is dominated by vets playing key roles.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:44 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I want to add that I too believe that Getz' development since being named captain has been phenomenal. I was against him being named captain at the time. He was far from captain material at that time. But he has really grown as a leader and not so oddly his game has improved as well. And he deserves a ton of credit for that maturity and development.

I think it was Burke who once said Getzlaf can be as good as he wants to be. He's decided he wants to be. Props to the big man.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Sean Garrity
#51in15 eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I want to add that I too believe that Getz' development since being named captain has been phenomenal. I was against him being named captain at the time. He was far from captain material at that time. But he has really grown as a leader and not so oddly his game has improved as well. And he deserves a ton of credit for that maturity and development.

I think it was Burke who once said Getzlaf can be as good as he wants to be. He's decided he wants to be. Props to the big man. :thumbu:
Think that was Messier, or Messier made an eerily similar statement about Getzlaf.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

I actually found it...said back in 2007 when Getz signed his previous deal.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/nov...s/sp-duckrep21

Quote:
"[Coach] Randy [Carlyle] and I have said this before. Ryan Getzlaf can be as good as he wants to be. Usually that means it's a slap in the face. It's not at all. We mean it as the highest compliment."

Old
01-27-2014, 03:32 AM
SugarSherm
The One and Only

Getz finally shaving his head is the secret.

SugarSherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Snoop Dogg
Gin & Juice

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Think that was Messier, or Messier made an eerily similar statement about Getzlaf.
Plenty of people have said that.

Snoop Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 04:03 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Ducksgo GDT AINEC
this

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Getz2perry

Depth we literally have 5 working effective forward lines we can dress, and on defense we have 7(no including sbisa/souray) players that come out and do well every night. We also have 3 goalies that the team seems confident they can win with every night.

Coaching/leadership, doesnt matter how bad the team plays in the first they come out and know they are still in the game, the team all seems to play in the same mindset everyone blocks shot and plays a good team game.

The emergence of Fowler, Lovejoy, and Lindholm... i dont think anyone could have expected our defense core to do as well as they are, those 3 players have matured and played high quality hockey, the whole season.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Ducks Ahoy
PP success loading..

Darth Yenik and I say the Bolton is the only reason

Ducks Ahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Most of have been mentioned but I will reiterate:

-Getz and Perry playing up to their contracts.

-Hiller having his best season yet.

-Fowler becoming a top pair defenseman (I'd argue that this is biggest reason)

-Depth. We literally have no 4th line.

I'd like to see another big piece brought in with our wealth of assets, but Murray can get hesitant when it comes to moving one of his picks/prospects. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like to see a big piece brought in personally.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Ahoy View Post
Darth Yenik and I say the Bolton is the only reason
This is the correct answer.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Old
01-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Hockey Duckie

So the question was why are we so dominant this season?

Last season, we were unsustainable. This season has become dominant from several factors.

Forwards
Perry was slumping last year. Once Perry was signed to a long extension in the offseason, there was an article citing that Perry's game took a hit because he was unsure about becoming a free agent whereas his twin, Getzlaf was set to return in heart and mind (it doesn't hurt that he's got a family established in the OC and his wife is from the OC as well). It was all mental for Perry. If one were to look back at Perry's scoring trend, everything projected that Perry be the top or one of the top goal scoring Western conference players. Last year looked odd.

More two way players. MP22, Silf, and Jackman have forced talented youngings like Etem and Rakell to stay down in the farm team.

Penner has rekindled the fire he once had long ago when he was paired with Perry and Getzlaf as rookies with the Ducks. Penner is still not in great shape, but he's producing much better than he has been in the past several years.

Defense
"Producing Gems"
The Ducks were ousted in the first round of the playoffs. When Lydman went down, then we had too many untested defensemen on the ice. Fowler and Lovejoy were paired up last year when the Ducks acquired Lovejoy. Lovejoy was traded with a low round pick and has developed into this gem. This year, they've both grown tremendously as this year they are our top pairing defensemen.

Three other gems to speak about are 19 year old Hampus "Magnus" Lindholm, fellow rookie Sami Vatanen, and journeyman Mark Fistric. Initially, Magnus was not part of the plan. The team was struggling at the beginning of the season on the blue line. After some games, Magnus was finally called up from the AHL and his star has been rocketing ever since. He's a very steady defenseman who's also a very good puck moving defenseman, PMD. Vatanen, a fourth round pick, has continued to grow on the back end as he's using better positioning to dissuade opposing forwards from their line. (Note: Never put Magnus and Vatanen as a pairing on 5v5 as they're both thinking PINCH seeing they've offensive defensemen.) Vatanen gives the Ducks a PMD on every defensive pairing: Fowler, Lindholm, and Vatanen. Fistric was a late free agent acquisition due to the knowledge that Souray broke his wrist in the off-season. In Anaheim, Fistric game was simplified. His game is to be a defensive defenseman. Often, his partner has been Lindholm and Fistric has said that the game is easier with Lindholm because all he needs to do is to get the Puck to Lindholm and Lindholm does the rest. Hence, Lindholm's affectionate nickname is Magnus! Fistric too has begun to become a better defenseman.

Fistric and Lovejoy's defensive game really mimic's that of an older gem, Frankie Beauchemin. Beauch has been known for devastating hits, particularly the hip check. We don't usually see hip checks being delivered often in the NHL, but in Anaheim, both Fistric and Lovejoy seem to do it with regularity.

Oh... and Allen is skating much, much better this year than last year.

Goaltending
Our cup runneth over with superfluous talent.
The Ducks are four deep in net in talent, but three deep in NHL proven netminders. Hiller has this pattern of starting out slow since his vertigo symptoms many years ago. Fasth helped out immensely last year. This year, Fasth got hurt and rookie Andersen stepped up this year as well!

Flexibility
Drafting, FA, and coaching.
The veterans are feeling more comfortable in coach BB's system. Not many teams can roll four lines, but the Ducks can. In fact, the Ducks can make small changes in their line up that make them go from speed team with Vatanen on defense and Palms with Teemu. Or they can go big and bulky with Fistric on defense and the forwards used could be Maroon, Jackman, and Penner.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Don't like this premature back-patting thread. No sir not one bit.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:39 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Obvious jinx thread is obvious.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
I didn't take it to be back patting as much as analyzing what has gone well so far. Some people might do well to have this perspective when some of the let's make a deal proposals get throw around.

Old
01-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Halzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSherm View Post
Getz finally shaving his head is the secret.
less drag when skating

Halzy is offline   Reply With Quote