HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Right wing

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Brad*

vCash: 500
Right wing

So...what is to be done about the situation at right wing?

I'm looking at the roster, and here is what I have:

Gagne - Forsberg - Carter

OK, this is pretty obvious, that these three will be playing together a lot. Hitch even mentioned it already, so I think it's a safe bet.

Knuble - Handzus - Radivojevic

This is where I get a little worried. Knuble and Handzus are fine, but can Radivojevic really handle being the second line right winger, on a contending team? Is he going to provide the necessary offense that they need? What other options do they have?

They could move Richards up, but I don't see him providing much more this season. Sharp won't be any better, either. Umberger had a good year in the AHL, but I don't believe he could step in there either, too much emphasis on rookies.

The next line, of Kapanen - Primeau - somedude is fine, because it's not a scoring line. But that second line right wing worries me, it looks like a weak point. I know some of you have said that Radio has some pretty decent offensive skills, but really, I don't think he's the best guy to have on the second line of this team.

The Flyers will have about $8 million to sign 6 RFA's. Assuming everything goes as planned, this will not be a problem (getting under the cap.) However, it leaves little room to add another winger, they'll be right at the cap. So, what to do?

I think they'll probably run with it for a while, and see what happens at that spot. Brashear could be dumped for picks, and that would free up his bloated contract, which at the midpoint of the season would help them acquire a decent winger. Do you think that's likely, or are we stuck with Radio on a scoring line all year? Is this even a problem? What is the meaning of life? Do I ask too many questions?

Old
08-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Jester

Umberger should have been playing wing with the Phantoms this past season for development purposes... we would be huge up front if we could definitely throw him in at RW on the second line...

i'm fine giving Radio a shot on the second line... we are going to have pretty distributed scoring after the top-line, and given that this is a Hitch team it is going to be more about stopping the other team from scoring than scoring ourselves, so we don't necessarily need a 60 point guy on the second line (though it would be nice).

who knows, Radio has enough speed to really be a factor if they open the game up, and Zeus frees up his wingers to do whatever the hell they want a lot of the time as well... he could thrive in this setup. say he goes 20-20-40? you'd take that, yes? i think that is realistic if he's there the full year and it works.

we'll see.

Old
08-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Umberger should have been playing wing with the Phantoms this past season for development purposes... we would be huge up front if we could definitely throw him in at RW on the second line...

i'm fine giving Radio a shot on the second line... we are going to have pretty distributed scoring after the top-line, and given that this is a Hitch team it is going to be more about stopping the other team from scoring than scoring ourselves, so we don't necessarily need a 60 point guy on the second line (though it would be nice).

who knows, Radio has enough speed to really be a factor if they open the game up, and Zeus frees up his wingers to do whatever the hell they want a lot of the time as well... he could thrive in this setup. say he goes 20-20-40? you'd take that, yes? i think that is realistic if he's there the full year and it works.

we'll see.
20 goals from Radio would be pretty nice, but he's never scored more than 12. Not a fair comparison I know, but still.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
John Flyers Fan

I'd play Sharp on the 2nd line. He's got better wheels and better hands than Radivojevic.

*** Carter takes all face-offs

Knuble - Handzus - Sharp
Kapanen - Primeau - Radivojevic

Old
08-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'd play Sharp on the 2nd line. He's got better wheels and better hands than Radivojevic.

*** Carter takes all face-offs

Knuble - Handzus - Sharp
Kapanen - Primeau - Radivojevic

I agree with those lines - Sharp is seriously underrated and would likely get 16-20 goals depending on PP time.

Fourth then is Brash-Richards-Stevenson ... for now.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:30 PM
blah

I'd keep Radivo and Handzus together. Radivo should be on one of the top 2 lines IMO. I'd also move Stevenson to Primeau's line and play Sharp with Richards.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Brad*

I don't know either, tough choice. I've heard Radio has some pretty good offensive insticts, but he's never really gotten a chance. Playing with Handzus and Knuble would tell us one way or the other if that's true. Sharp just doesn't strike me as the kind of player who would do any better than Radio.

Old
08-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Gags1288

I see that 2nd line winger spot being addressed later in the season, if necessary. I think Clarke does indeed see the need their and will wait to see if Radio or Sharp is able to step up and be an adequate 2nd line player. That's why it's important that the flyers have some cap room available, because they certainly have the assets to acquire that winger.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Brad*

Precisely why Brashear needs to find a new home.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:14 PM
goodrev

carter is the future of this team, he WILL play center as will mike richards if he plays on the flyers this year, and if carter does play i see him being being the second line center. i doubt either of these kids play the 4th line center because the lack of playing time will stunt their development

Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble/Umberger
Knuble/Sim-Carter-Sharp/Umberger
Kapanen-Primeua-Brashear
Stevenson-Handzus-Radio

Radio has shown us nothing, no evidence that he can score especially with any consistency so i dont see him getting anywhere near the top two lines, at least i hope not

count on gagne playing with forsberg, and being we dont have a proven right winger on this team that can score expect some youth to get a chance i expect umberger to make a run for the spot in training camp, remember youth is cheap also. i also know that clarkie wants a grinder on every line so it can open up the ice for the finess and speed guys so expect perhaps Knuble to be in the RW spot, remember Joe Thornton credited Knuble for much of his sucess because he always is opening up the ice and doing all the dirty work for him.

Carter plays best when he has a scorer and a grinder on his line with him, they know this from when he was in juniors and it carried right over to when he was in the AHL, i see knuble being his hard working grinder and sim/sharp being his scorer on that line being he has played with both of them and developed a bit of a chemistry with them..... another possability is that they keep the hot line together from the AHL playoffs as the second line in Sim-Carter-Sharp

The Primeau line is pretty much steadfast, they play defensive hockey and grind and wear down the oppositions top line, in this role primeau flourishes so dont expect his line OR his role to change at all this year.

The Handzus line i know you all wouldnt put him on the 4th line but remember with the lineup they have the flyers pretty much can confidently roll 4 lines all game and rest their players that is if the second line can convert their success to the NHL. Handzus showed he and radio had a little bit of chemistry together last season and them being fellow countryman and friends cant hurt thier bond off and on the ice so hopefully they will mesh and pull through a strong season, throw stevenson on this line for some added grit and size and you have a pretty damn big line to throw out against anyone.

this is what i really expect will happen

and think about it, there is a 0% chance that richards is going to waste away on the bench this season playing the 4th line, he and carter are the future down the middle of this team, if they are not both going to be playing center expect one of them to be traded because it is just a waste of talent. I truly think if anyone is going to be traded from this lineup right now sadly enough its going to be handzus for 3 reasons, 1. $$, 2. Value, 3. his position

the 6 people from the phantoms i expect to get shots with the big club this season
Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, Umberger, Sim, and Seidenberg. remember clarke said at the end of the calder cup playoffs that 5 or 6 players from the phantoms WILL be with the flyers this season

Last edited by goodrev: 08-05-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old
08-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Rex88

Bondra

I still see him as a player (yes he is 38).
He may fall through the cracks and be a CHEAP pickup at some point this year as he will likely be on a one year contract. I would say sign him now but that dirty little cap thing is prohibitive.
He is a good guy on the PK and PP and I bet he is fantastic with shootouts given his wrister.

Just a thought.

Old
08-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
Bondra

I still see him as a player (yes he is 38).
He may fall through the cracks and be a CHEAP pickup at some point this year as he will likely be on a one year contract. I would say sign him now but that dirty little cap thing is prohibitive.
He is a good guy on the PK and PP and I bet he is fantastic with shootouts given his wrister.

Just a thought.
Last time I checked Ottawa tried that route but it didn't quite pan out.

32 regular season short handed goals and 139 regular season power-play goals.
0 short handed playoff goals and 13 power-play goals in his 11 year career.
No thanks.

Old
08-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Last time I checked Ottawa tried that route but it didn't quite pan out.

32 regular season short handed goals and 139 regular season power-play goals.
0 short handed playoff goals and 13 power-play goals in his 11 year career.
No thanks.
He had 26 goals and 23 ass last season 03-4. He stunk in the playoffs as did the entire Sens squad last season. In 80 playoff games he has 30 goals and 26 ass.
He is a +5 in those playoff games as well although no one will mistake him for a D stallwart.
I am not sure I understand your argument PY.

Old
08-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
He had 26 goals and 23 ass last season 03-4. He stunk in the playoffs as did the entire Sens squad last season. In 80 playoff games he has 30 goals and 26 ass.
He is a +5 in those playoff games as well although no one will mistake him for a D stallwart.
I am not sure I understand your argument PY.
The Flyers have spent pretty much to the cap max and signing Bondra really wouldn't make a huge impact. Last season's post-season could have been a fluke or it could be a sign of things to come, do you really want to risk any of the RFA's at that cost? IMO Clarke has done his fare share of gambling this year and we're in a good position if all things work out.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Flyers dom NHL

Gagne Forsberg Carter
Knuble Handzus Radivojevic
Kapanen Primeau Sharp
Sim Richards Stevenson

Get Brashear off of the team and give Sim a shot. He played well as a phantom. Even if sim doesnt play well we can bring up umberger, eager, or kane. Brashear is a dog. Stevenson isnt much of a player but he can grind it out so we should keep him on the 4th line. Radivojevic and Sharp are interchangeable but i think Radivojevic plays well will handzus so sharp should be with primeau. The way hitch coaches the flyers wont have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line. They will have 3 top lines and a 4th line to eat up some minutes. I cant wait to see how good gagne is playing with forsberg. Forsberg lifted tanguay and hejduks game so maybe he can make gagne into a 40 goal scorer... hopefully carter will feed of of forsberg as well and put up some big numbers.

Old
08-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
I think it should be something like

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter (Carter and Forsberg alternating the faceoffs)
Knuble-Richards-Sharp
Kapanen-Primeau-Radivojevic
Brashear-Handzus-Stevenson

I hate the idea of Richards centering Brashear and Stevenson. That could turn out to be pretty bad. Richards could be a good set up man for Sharp and Knuble while Handzus centering Brashear and Stevenson would give us a very good secondary shut down line, assuming Brashear plays his role.

Old
08-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Bondra

If BOndra came at 500K, I'd do it in a minute. The lack of red line might help him.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
The Flyers have spent pretty much to the cap max and signing Bondra really wouldn't make a huge impact. Last season's post-season could have been a fluke or it could be a sign of things to come, do you really want to risk any of the RFA's at that cost? IMO Clarke has done his fare share of gambling this year and we're in a good position if all things work out.

I would not sacrifice any of the RFAs for Bondra. I think he may go unsigned given his age and if we are sitting in first at midseason but that second line wing is an issue he may want to jump aboard for minimum pay to have another playoff run - in no way would I pursue him at the expense of a current roster player except maybe Brash.

Closed Thread