HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Darcy call Tampa now

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 10:36 AM
eSabre

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
"One of our most veratile forwards" ???? are you nuts. the only versatile forwards i see on buffalo are Drury and Hecht, with mention to Briere and Roy. other than that players have roles to fill. and the onyl role Kotalik can fill is scoring goals. and he can barely do that. Kotalik doesnt backcheck. he doesnt work for the puck in the corners. he doesnt lay the body. he doesnt score the big goals. basically he scores some goals and doesnt even do that well. Pyatt is more valuable to the team 8 times out of 10. he;s a better skater. he works better in the corners in both zones. He's defesnively sound. he's bigger. He can play the PK. he's got more potential to be a regular contributor to an NHl team.

Kotalik is the upper eschelon of fringe NHLers
I was referring to the fact he can play all three positions.

I disagree with about everything else you said.

Old
08-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Rowley Birkin

Jame, i don't want to start another arguement over it, but you under rate Kotalik immensly. He is a relatively young, cheap guy, with size who can put the puck in the net. He has far too much going for him to trade him imo. But your entitled to disagree with that.

But seriously, the way you talk about Pyatt, its like he is some Selke winner already. He sucks. I think you are watching a different guy from the one that i see. He has potential, but i would rather some other team took the chance on him, especially at $1m a year, and since we have so much depth. Pyatt for Lydman would be a great deal for us. Almost robbery. We'd have to add a 2nd round pick or something, and then hope that Calgary likes him to make a deal.

And as for Tampa's D. I don't see a deal happening. There is no way that they will let Kubina go, forget it. Sarich is not good enough to play on a top pairing, and i don't see them letting him go that easily either. Sydor - no way. He's too old, too expensive for what he is. Boyle is the only possibility from what i see, but even then, im not sure what they'd want from us.

Trading Noronen would be bad for us. He is {again, imo} our best goalie of the three. I would only trade him if we got a better goalie in return. The first guy that i move would be Biron, for obvious reasons. I would rather part with Miller than with Mika. Not least because his trade value is probably better.

And i've said it here before, i'd love to get Fischer from Detroit. I don't see why we'd want Hudler tho. And i certainly wouldn't want to give up Jillson as a throw in, in a deal for him. I could part with Tallinder tho.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:12 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
^^ I usually agree with almost everything you say on here, including the unwavering support of Kotalik, but I would definitely rather throw Jillson into a deal than Tallinder.

Old
08-06-2005, 02:19 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Biron and a second or low-level prospect for Boyle, sign Hamrlik, make cup run:

Dumont-Briere-Hecht
Kotalik-Drury-Vanek
Afinogenov-Roy-Pyatt
Peters-Connolly-Mair

Hamrlik-Kalinin
Boyle-McKee
Tallinder-Numminen
Jillson
Patrick

Milleronenen

Old
08-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Jame, i don't want to start another arguement over it, but you under rate Kotalik immensly. He is a relatively young, cheap guy, with size who can put the puck in the net. He has far too much going for him to trade him imo. But your entitled to disagree with that. .
Rowley i love our ongoing Kotalik/Pyatt thing. honestly. it gives me something to look forward to everyday. now allow me to retort.

I do not believe Kotalik has "too much going for him" as you say. in fact i believe he has little going for him. His coach doesn't like him and has openly questioned his heart and toughness. He is 27 which means he'll be an UFA in 2 years. not so young in the New NHL. You say he "can put the puck in the net".... im not impressed. Brian Holzinger "could" put the puck in the net too. he just didnt do it that much.

Kotalik does have a very nice shot though. but when people refer to it as one of the best, i wanna puke. He didnt even have the best shot on the sabres (satan) and isnt even in the league of a Kovalchuk or a Sakic. personally... a pretty shot is meaningless if you only score 15 goals. and thats what he is a 15-20 goal scorer.

Quote:
But seriously, the way you talk about Pyatt, its like he is some Selke winner already. He sucks. I think you are watching a different guy from the one that i see. He has potential, but i would rather some other team took the chance on him, especially at $1m a year, and since we have so much depth. Pyatt for Lydman would be a great deal for us. Almost robbery. We'd have to add a 2nd round pick or something, and then hope that Calgary likes him to make a deal..
Pyatt, considering his size, is a very good skater. you are aware of forechecking i take it? well Kotalik isn't. Pyatt may not use his size like i want him to. he doesn't lay the big hits. but he "uses" his size very well in the corners of both zones. I also think he has solid passing skills out of those corners. He digs and reads the ice well in the zone. Pyatts size, skating, and work along the boards have made him a good checking forward, who is on his way to being a good penalty killer. not great, not selke, but good. and 23 year old checking wingers who skate like the wind at 6'4" are rare. he is in no way a selke player... but thats something i look for him to strive to be.

Pyatt has a lot of negatives as well. He's got hands of stone. He is inconsistent. He doesn't have that fire that i want to see out of him. he wears mascara. basically he's a little bit of a *****. i know that. but ive seen enough positives in his game to know he is developing and will be a solid NHLer.

Quote:
nd as for Tampa's D. I don't see a deal happening. There is no way that they will let Kubina go, forget it. Sarich is not good enough to play on a top pairing, and i don't see them letting him go that easily either. Sydor - no way. He's too old, too expensive for what he is. Boyle is the only possibility from what i see, but even then, im not sure what they'd want from us...
Boyle's QO is 2.1. TB can afford him. but a smart GM would be planning to keep the core of that team together for years. and thats a lot of salary. If i were GM id move a defesnive asset (knowing that Egener and Rogers are on the way. for a goaltender and a cheap winger. (Biron and Kotalik)

Quote:
rading Noronen would be bad for us. He is {again, imo} our best goalie of the three. I would only trade him if we got a better goalie in return. The first guy that i move would be Biron, for obvious reasons. I would rather part with Miller than with Mika. Not least because his trade value is probably better.

And i've said it here before, i'd love to get Fischer from Detroit. I don't see why we'd want Hudler tho. And i certainly wouldn't want to give up Jillson as a throw in, in a deal for him. I could part with Tallinder tho.
Trading Noronen would break my heart. and ive got a funny feeling that its coming. Fischer is a pipe dream. Id take Hudler off Detroits hands.

How you could "part" with Tallinder, but wouldnt want to trade Jillson is again way beyond me. I actually expect Tallinder will have a break out season. Jillson barely could hack it in the AHL.

Back to Kotalik for a sec. it's not that i hate on Kotalik. It's just a team, line combination, look towards building a contedner persepective.

At Kotaliks salary i would have no problem watching him score 20 goals for the sabres. but i think the only way he can be effective is playing the wing on a scoring line. Id rather have Max, Hecht, Dumont, and Vanek assume those duties. Max has the opportunity to score more and be more exciting this year. Hecht is our best winger. Dumont has earned his place in the top 6. and i want Vanek to be put in a situation to succeed immediately. that leaves Kotalik, and Connolly for that matter, the odd man out.

I dont mean to totally knock Kotalik. i just think it's bad asset management to keep him around. and even worse asset management to trade Pyatt unless it's in a major deal for a LEGITIMATE top pairing D man.

Hecht-Drury-Afinogenov
Vanek-Briere-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Grier - thats my 3 million dollar checking line.
Mair-Gaustad-Connolly - Tim really has to earn his ice time.
Peters

Thanks Rowley

Old
08-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Tra La La

Connolly can't play wing. He can't play along the boards in his own zone. He has to play center where his defensive responciblity is upper slot. Ruff tried him at wing, he went to -25 in like twelve games.

Old
08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
Connolly can't play wing. He can't play along the boards in his own zone. He has to play center where his defensive responciblity is upper slot. Ruff tried him at wing, he went to -25 in like twelve games.
you are absolutely right. but on the 4th line with Mair and Gaustad, his minutes will be minimal.

Old
08-06-2005, 07:25 PM
lecherous

Quote:
you are absolutely right. but on the 4th line with Mair and Gaustad, his minutes will be minimal.
...Then what's the point of using Connolly anyways? You can argue that he might work on a 3rd line, but definitely not on the 4th line as a winger...

Old
08-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
...Then what's the point of using Connolly anyways? You can argue that he might work on a 3rd line, but definitely not on the 4th line as a winger...
i dont know for sure. you picked the least important point of my whole post and made it an issue. i consider a 3rd line to be a checking line. why would i put connolly there? he can center the 4th line or ride the pine or fill in for injuries or get traded.

Hecht-Drury-Afinogenov
Vanek-Briere-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Grier
Mair-Connolly-Gaustad

happy?

Old
08-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Tra La La

Quote:

Connolly and Kotalik have, at times shown good chemistry. Put Those 2 (Connolly at center) with Either Mair or Gaustad.

Afinogenov + Roy,Drury + Grier are other pairs that have shown Chemistry.

Hecht/Briere/Dumont
Vanek/Drury/Grier
Pyatt/Roy/Afinogenov
Kotalik/Connolly/Mair or Gaustad

Old
08-06-2005, 07:51 PM
lecherous

Quote:
i dont know for sure. you picked the least important point of my whole post and made it an issue. i consider a 3rd line to be a checking line. why would i put connolly there? he can center the 4th line or ride the pine or fill in for injuries or get traded.

Hecht-Drury-Afinogenov
Vanek-Briere-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Grier
Mair-Connolly-Gaustad

happy?
Or how about you trade Connolly and stick Kotalik with half the salary on the 4th line

If you're saying Kotalik doesn't have much value, it shouldn't matter between him and Connolly when they're playing 4th line minutes...you just more or less need a body that won't make mistakes, which Connolly is not. Kotalik has good size and when he feels like it, is a pretty good checking forward.

Old
08-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Or how about you trade Connolly and stick Kotalik with half the salary on the 4th line

If you're saying Kotalik doesn't have much value, it shouldn't matter between him and Connolly when they're playing 4th line minutes...you just more or less need a body that won't make mistakes, which Connolly is not. Kotalik has good size and when he feels like it, is a pretty good checking forward.
good point.

although I dont think Connolly has any trade value. Kotalik considering his salary and 1 20 goal season has value to teams that need wingers (the sabres have an abundance).

Old
08-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader Zim
Connolly and Kotalik have, at times shown good chemistry. Put Those 2 (Connolly at center) with Either Mair or Gaustad.

Afinogenov + Roy,Drury + Grier are other pairs that have shown Chemistry.

Hecht/Briere/Dumont
Vanek/Drury/Grier
Pyatt/Roy/Afinogenov
Kotalik/Connolly/Mair or Gaustad
I like those lines. Id rather Grier played with Pyatt. on a typical checking line. Vanek should be on a more offensively orriented line either Vanek-Briere-Dumont or Vanek-Drury-Max makes most sense to me. Pyatt might feed off of Grier's intensity. and with thos two working the corners Roy will be free to rome the zone.

basically id just switch Grier and Max and trade either Kotalik or Connolly. and our group of forwards is excellent.

i really like my 3 million dollar checking line of Pyatt-Roy-Grier

then again i really like all my ideas

Old
08-06-2005, 10:01 PM
eyeisnikk

Yeah... i would like Sarich on the team. However, I dont know where he would fit.
IF the top 4 are Kalinin, Numminin, and Mckee. (missing a 4th obviously)

We still have Tallinder at number 5.
And Fitzpatrick, Campbell, Jillson and Janik fighting for the last spot. None of which we can send down to rochester without risking the waiver. I put Janik with the others because he is not waiver exempt. WHAT DO WE DO WITH ALL these defensemen.

Unless we dont get a sign anyone else and put Tallinder in the top 4. We still would have Fitz, Camp, Jiz, and Janik fighting for the last two spots. Which now that i think of it might not be too bad.

However, is tallinder a top 4?
And Can Fitz, Camp, Jiz, and Janik cut it being paired together?
If we dont make any addition we would have to carry 8 defensemen, esp if there are injuries!

Old
08-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeisnikk
Yeah... i would like Sarich on the team. However, I dont know where he would fit.

And Fitzpatrick, Campbell, Jillson and Janik fighting for the last spot. None of which we can send down to rochester without risking the waiver. I put Janik with the others because he is not waiver exempt. WHAT DO WE DO WITH ALL these defensemen.

Unless we dont get a sign anyone else and put Tallinder in the top 4. We still would have Fitz, Camp, Jiz, and Janik fighting for the last two spots. Which now that i think of it might not be too bad.

If we dont make any addition we would have to carry 8 defensemen, esp if there are injuries!
Campbell's deal is probably one-way, and he's likely to hang around because of his mobility. Fitzy is probably the best of the bunch so he'll have to stick as well, with Janik and Jiz being squirted back down to Rochester.

James Patrick could clutter this situation up even more....

Old
08-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeisnikk

IMO Tallinder should be given the shot at the 4 spot with Numminen as his partner. leaving Mckee to play stay at home defense on the third pairing with Jillson or Campbell doing the skating around aimlessly thing.

Kalinin is our guy. but he needs a partner. A Boyle or McCabe would be brilliant.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:34 PM
lecherous

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Tallinder will have somewhat of a breakthrough year this season where he scores ~25 pts and solidifies himself as a legit 3/4 dman, probably our 2nd best dman behind Kalinin though he'd definitely be a 3/4 guy on most normal teams. It's all just a prediction, but I've got a gut feeling about it.

Old
08-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Rowley Birkin

Jame, i don't want to turn this into another Kotalik/Pyatt topic. I guess we just see different things in them. If I am Regier/Ruff, then i start Kotalik in a top 6 role, given our current forwards. Of course, Max and Vanek have more potential, but i would rather start them on the 3rd. And as for the checking line arguement, our 2nd line is more of a shut down line than the 3rd, while the 4th is our typical grind line. And i have no place for Quiet, or TC on my team. $2m saving straight away.

Hecht-Briere-Dumont {unless we bring a talented player in, this is a lock}
Kotalik-Drury-Grier {shut down line, also able to chip in offence}
Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov {worked last time, and Vanek >>Barto}
Peters-Gaustad-Mair {nice thug line, replace Peters when needed}

subs: Bartovic, Pominville, Paille, Taylor, Thorburn etc.

So that means we move Quiet, TC, and Biron for whatever we can get, hopefully a solid D-man. Although theres a nice looking proposal on the trades forum, Sykora +2nd for Quiet....

And as for the Tallinder/Jillson arguement. Tallinder is better now, but I would rather keep Jillson. You don't give up on a guy with his potential after only a handful of games. And he probably has zero trade value anyway. And he may have sucked in the AHL, but he was solid for us in those 10 games or so imo. Nothing special, but he wasn't a liability like Campbell or Delmore. And he has the tools. If we had great depth on D, then i'd move him, but we don't.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Burke takes up space as with Grahame as the 1B starter in Tampa:

Lightning sign goaltender Sean Burke