HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Nilan interviews Serge Savard on TSN 690

Old
01-28-2014, 02:58 PM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
Irving Grundman drafted Wickenheiser....

Lafleur needed to clean up his life and habits. His carreer was going down the drain and he was often injured. He decided to quit instead of taking his destiny in his own hands. Too bad, he lost 4 years of hockey and possibly would had been able to revamp his game.
Imagine had the Habs taken Denis Savard then added Mats Naslund to the Lafleur line. This was the beginning of defensive hockey first and foremost that is now pervasive in Hab teams. The above line would have compared favorably with the top lines of the Oilers & NYI'ers teams at the time. Instead Hab fans were sold on the merits of winning once a decade and be happy, not me, I'm still here to remind people the reasons why!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 03:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Imagine had the Habs taken Denis Savard then added Mats Naslund to the Lafleur line. This was the beginning of defensive hockey first and foremost that is now pervasive in Hab teams. The above line would have compared favorably with the top lines of the Oilers & NYI'ers teams at the time. Instead Hab fans were sold on the merits of winning once a decade and be happy, not me, I'm still here to remind people the reasons why!
Denis Savard + a healthy Lafleur would had been dynamite in the 80's. I liked the Bobby Smith-Naslund combo, too.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 03:04 PM
thom

Still cant believe that Mats Naslund was our last top 10 scorer-Blows my mind

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffy27 View Post
Not cool...
I apologize. Didn't mean to make fun of Chris. Only wanted to communicate the pain he inflicts in terms of his delivery. His broadcasting skills need work. That "uh" thing can be fixed, if he works at it. He's way too exposed for the length of show he's been assigned. Does a better job on short interviews, like those segments where Melnick interacts with him for less than 10 minutes at a time.

Last edited by Runner77: 01-28-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 05:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
What are you talking about-just Bull.Lafleur led team in pts in last full season 1983-84.From 1980-83 he missed around 60 games.Other than his car accident in which he missed a few games tell me where he could have cleaned his life.In 1981 he would have had another 100 pts season if not hurt same in 82-83.
You call it an "accident"? My, you are charitable! Try inebriated instead. He narrowly missed losing an ear (if not his life) to a pole. Furthermore, I doubt whether he had any more 100-point seasons in his quiver.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
The reason he was asked and cleared the air was because last night on Le Match, someone accused Savard of swaying Bergevin to select Therrien over Crawford. Savard said it was not true, he was only a part of the GM selection and when it came time to select a coach, he was never asked.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Lafleur was a still a good player. We just basically drove his game into the ground.

And... once again, we didn't just trade the guy. Why? Because we CAN'T trade Lafleur. So the guy retires and then comes back and plays for the Rangers four years later and is a point per game player. Another example of us not maximizing an asset.

I love Guy Lafleur. Favourite player of all-time. But if you're going to force him into retirment, then deal him to Pittsburgh for draft picks. That's what Pollock would've done.
A bit of an embellishment as 45 pts in 67 games is not quite a point a game player
He was closer with the Nords 34 pts in 39 games

I think Lemaire may have had more to do with his demise here than anyone else

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:55 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Don't leave out the good part like not drafting Denis Savard, to assist Guy Lafleur, instead of driving him away. The real deal for those old time fans remember these strategic screw-ups!
Irving Grundman.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:56 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player 61 View Post
Heard it, so Serge now says Hmmm...all of a sudden the French pre-requisite is now in denial.. From a guy that chooses to live in Florida. I never said dat!
Also Hilton Head Island.

Old
01-28-2014, 08:58 PM
deandebean

Quote:
That's the acknowledged best excuse, Grundman didn't now the difference between offence and defence! Someone gave him the advice and Savard the Ultra Conservative was the person to the best of my recollection. Great Dman but big fail as GM, IMHO.
Big fail? I beg to differ.

Old
01-29-2014, 05:48 AM
BJCOLLINS

Man, I wish we had a young "Knuckles" Nilan & "Senator" Savard on this team.

They both played hard... every shift, year after year and bled "bleu blanc rouge",

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
The reason he was asked and cleared the air was because last night on Le Match, someone accused Savard of swaying Bergevin to select Therrien over Crawford. Savard said it was not true, he was only a part of the GM selection and when it came time to select a coach, he was never asked.
It was Michel Langevin who stated that Bergevin's choice was Crawford, but was told be Savard that the coach had to be francophone.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 06:36 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Big fail? I beg to differ.
I beg to differ with your beg to differ. S Bah is 100% correct. Savard inherited a team with a pipeline of prospects and draft picks extending years into the future. When he left, there was nothing left. He basically squandered the Habs future during his tenure. His tenure was the real start of the Habs descent into oblivion. Loved him as a player, but as a GM he did tremendous damage to this franchise.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:12 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
I beg to differ with your beg to differ. S Bah is 100% correct. Savard inherited a team with a pipeline of prospects and draft picks extending years into the future. When he left, there was nothing left. He basically squandered the Habs future during his tenure. His tenure was the real start of the Habs descent into oblivion. Loved him as a player, but as a GM he did tremendous damage to this franchise.
Savard wasn't best at trading, but his club philosophy was outstanding. He wanted a big, physically club, who played with a lot of heart. Who understood media pressure in Montreal. He wanted good goalie, and team played well defensively. Why Jacques Lemaire or Pat Burns were hired because they knew defense.

Savard still holds record as only GM in NHL making it deep in playoffs 10 consecutive years. Habs difficult to beat in playoffs.

His biggest move was Roy. But it wasn't Roy alone as Steve Penney accomplished similar feats in 1984 and 1985. It was the team concept. Jersey won 3 cups using similar formula. Tight team defense, good goalie and stud defenseman on big physical club. Very difficult to play against in 7 game series.

Besides Roy, club top star of Savard era. Club was still good team when Savard left, only 2 years away from cup until Roy was traded. After that club fell to pieces until Gillette purchased team.

Last edited by BrimStone64: 01-29-2014 at 07:20 AM.
BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:18 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Which youth did he inherit??? Pollock and Grundman had drafted like idiots the last 5-6 years and only the aging vets were there to protect what was left of the mighty Habs. The farm club sucked. He brought back respectability to an organisation that had lost its clout throughout the league. When Savard pre-1992 was there, the Habs were relevant and powerful.

Old
01-29-2014, 09:18 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
A bit of an embellishment as 45 pts in 67 games is not quite a point a game player
He was closer with the Nords 34 pts in 39 games

I think Lemaire may have had more to do with his demise here than anyone else
lets not forget either how scoring was inflated at that time. Lafleur was still a solid player but by then nowhere near what he was in the late 70s/very early 80s

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote