HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Wild Wild West

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2005, 01:48 PM
  #1
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
The Wild Wild West

So isnt this shaping up to be an interesting offseason.

Remember how irritating it was to play the Kings last year. How do you think this season will play out now that they actually have some decent players?

and Chicago, they really gave us a hard time and now they actually have a decent goalie in Bulin.

and Columbus is Columbus, Detroit is Detroit.


The Preds organization is used to battling every sinlge night for points and for respect. It looks like that battle will be more intense than ever this season.

jstreet is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
  #2
Gardebut30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
So isnt this shaping up to be an interesting offseason.

Remember how irritating it was to play the Kings last year. How do you think this season will play out now that they actually have some decent players?

and Chicago, they really gave us a hard time and now they actually have a decent goalie in Bulin.

and Columbus is Columbus, Detroit is Detroit.


The Preds organization is used to battling every sinlge night for points and for respect. It looks like that battle will be more intense than ever this season.
Get ready for some great rivalries

Gardebut30 is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 01:51 PM
  #3
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardebut30
Get ready for some great rivalries

IM ready for the most exciting/interesting NHL season ever.

jstreet is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:01 PM
  #4
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"
 
TheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 9,281
vCash: 500
I can't wait to see Nashville vs Detroit again... I was cheering for you guys the other year when you almost beat Detroit ! That would've been awesome!!

TheDamned is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:08 PM
  #5
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
I can't wait to see Nashville vs Detroit again... I was cheering for you guys the other year when you almost beat Detroit ! That would've been awesome!!

yeah, Nashville's best match-ups are always against Detroit and Columbus. Most people thought we'd be out of the first round in 4 games straight, but we battled!

jstreet is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
  #6
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
yeah, Nashville's best match-ups are always against Detroit and Columbus. Most people thought we'd be out of the first round in 4 games straight, but we battled!
And battled through some horrid luck too. Remember that puck that went off the boards, off Vokoun, and into the net? That was game changer. Who knows what happens if Detroit doesn't score there.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
  #7
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,514
vCash: 500
Considering Chicago beat us a ton last year.......their improval will not do too much to our win loss total. We need to pick up some more wins from the Blues though.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:14 PM
  #8
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
And battled through some horrid luck too. Remember that puck that went off the boards, off Vokoun, and into the net? That was game changer. Who knows what happens if Detroit doesn't score there.

I was sick at my stomach when that puck rolled across the line.



Wins from the Blues will be crucial. I forsee this being the year that their PostSeason dreams are extinguished.

jstreet is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:15 PM
  #9
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Considering Chicago beat us a ton last year.......their improval will not do too much to our win loss total. We need to pick up some more wins from the Blues though.
I'm not as confident in Chicago's "improval" as most are. History has shown that relying on UFA acquisitions to carry a team is a shaky proposition. And Chicago's best two Dmen, starting goalie, and possibly best offensive player (if they land a Kariya) are all UFA pickups. Looking around the league over the past 10 years at all the UFA busts makes me wonder if next year will be good for them at all. I think they have great potential to succeed. But I think they could also be the biggest disappointment. Chemistry is a tricky thing. When 5 of your best 10-12 or so players are brand new, it can be hard to come by. And no NHL team wins games without chemistry.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:18 PM
  #10
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'm not as confident in Chicago's "improval" as most are. History has shown that relying on UFA acquisitions to carry a team is a shaky proposition. And Chicago's best two Dmen, starting goalie, and possibly best offensive player (if they land a Kariya) are all UFA pickups. Looking around the league over the past 10 years at all the UFA busts makes me wonder if next year will be good for them at all. I think they have great potential to succeed. But I think they could also be the biggest disappointment. Chemistry is a tricky thing. When 5 of your best 10-12 or so players are brand new, it can be hard to come by. And no NHL team wins games without chemistry.

if that holds true, the Pens and Flyers are up the proverbial creek. I just think that Bulin will be enough to significantly improve the team by himself.

and what are the Wings gonna do about their goalie situation?

jstreet is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:24 PM
  #11
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
if that holds true, the Pens and Flyers are up the proverbial creek. I just think that Bulin will be enough to significantly improve the team by himself.

and what are the Wings gonna do about their goalie situation?
I think Bulin is the key as well. He's been very good, if not spectacular, for the Bolts. But he's going to have a shakier defense in front of him. One that has talent, but not a lot of ice time together. I've learned long ago that most goalies are just too fickle to predict. I have no doubts that Khabibulin will be good. But I think Chicago needs him to be great.

As for Detroit, I just hope they don't get T-Bo. I'd love to see them forced to go with their current goaltenders. Legace has been a great backup for Detroit for the past 4 seasons, but he's never had to be the starter. Sure, he's been the starter for stretches, but never for an entire season. What happens if he gets down on himself or goes into a slump? We saw it against Nashville in the playoffs. Backup goaltenders have a double edged sword on which they rest. They rarely play enough to get into a groove or a slump. But starting goalies don't have the latter as a luxury. They are going into next season with only an above average defense, a far cry from previous seasons. And all the pressure could be on Legacy to succeed. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
  #12
PredsMan
Registered User
 
PredsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
At this point, it certainly looks like the central teams will spend alot of time beating each other up every nite.

No clear-cut favorite at this point.

PredsMan is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:31 PM
  #13
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
maybe if we are lucky Bulin will pull a "Giggy" this season.

man, how sweet it would be to watch the Wings get lit up all season long.

jstreet is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:39 PM
  #14
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,514
vCash: 500
Smokey, I don't think it matters how the Hawks do in the playoff picture, but in relation to us.......they play us so well. I think they are immensley more talented than last years group, and if possible, just as nasty. I can't see us stealing more wins from them this year.

Look at their additions:

Forwards: Matthew Barnaby, Martin Lapoint, Jim Dowd
Defensemen: Adrian Aucoin, Jaroslav Spacek
Goalie: Khabibulin

Nikolai is better than Thibault, who is too injury prone. Regardless, I do not think this is as big of a deal as some assume. It makes them a better playoff threat, but when Thibault is healthy......he is almost just as good.

Add a more mature Ruutu, healthy Daze, and some young guys like Babchuck coming up and they are pretty scary...

Enoch is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
  #15
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,405
vCash: 500
Anybody have a good feel for where NP payroll is now? TSN only shows about 14.5 M, but it doesn't include QOs, just those under contract. How much room below the self-imposed 28 M cap do they have?

I would hate to see a ton tied up in a risky Lindros-type contract, even for the novelty and concussion pools it might spawn.

The Blues on paper are marked for a decline in standing, as are the dead things. COlumbus will be improved, as likely the Hawks and Preds will be.


Last edited by darth5: 08-05-2005 at 02:45 PM. Reason: forgot
darth5 is offline  
Old
08-05-2005, 03:17 PM
  #16
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 50
1. Nashville
2. Detroit
3. Chicago
4. Columbus
5. St Louis


hmm.. I dont know., its really hard to see right now.

jstreet is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.