HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers Shopping Ryan Callahan, will trade Girardi/Callahan If Not signed

Old
01-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Black Tank

vCash: 500
Callahan on an already strong team would be absolutely devastating. Playing less minutes on a lower line would make his p/k and energy play much more effective. He's a high emotion, high leadership player a contender could rely on in a deep PO run. I know Pitt can't afford him, but he would really bolster them for a long run.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
beastly115

I'd be shocked if we got more than a 1st and mid level prospect for Callahan.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:56 AM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Why is Cally even on the market? If anyone deserves to be overpaid a little by the Rangers its him. Team captain, rah rah hero type, solid in every aspect. Money shouldn't be an issue, Rangers have never been scared to spend, cap shouldn't be an issue with all the free agents, rising cap & Richards buy out, so why is he being shopped? Has the broken leg, exploded knee or rebuilt shoulder affected him? Kids in the system that can replace him?
Over payment by a "little" is one thing. Cally want's the bank. Rangers are wise to just not do it & let him go via trade.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by M10 View Post
He's Dustin Brown lite. Deal with that.
Dustin Brown lite who's having a much better year than the actual Dustin Brown.

01-31-2014, 09:53 AM
AHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Callahan on an already strong team would be absolutely devastating. Playing less minutes on a lower line would make his p/k and energy play much more effective. He's a high emotion, high leadership player a contender could rely on in a deep PO run. I know Pitt can't afford him, but he would really bolster them for a long run.
He's already playing less minutes, on the Rangers 3rd line and pk'ing much less then he was under torts. His minutes per game are down by like 3 or 4 this year under AV. Zucc and Nash have made him our 3rd right wing and with the amount of quality Penalty killers this team has he is just falling more down the depth chart. You could see this when he's been out this year, our PK was still one of the best in the NHL.

While homegrown and still very productive, in the way that he is, to give him that salary would be ludicrous and would handicap this team going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
As a Leafs fan I want nothing to do with Girardi. Dumb as a sack of rocks (really low hockey IQ) and played his best years insulated in a system that magnified his strengths and masked his weaknesses. No surprise he has regressed under AV.

Callahan is a guy I would be really intrigued by. Basically a rich man's Clarktard. Signed or unsigned, he does have a lot of internal value to the Rangers given his leadership and community benefits, so I think the price would be too high for what the Leafs are willing to give up, especially since wing is our strongest position.
I'm really confused by this post. I have watched almost every single game that both Girardi and Cally have played in their careers, with probably about a third of those being in person. At this point, Girardi is the guy who the Rangers should pay to keep, not even a question. THe problem with him is his speed, but his IQ is certainly not low, especially compared to a rock.

Callahan compared to Clarkson is laughable. And more so, Cally is a right wing, not a left wing.

While I'm not sure of their value on the market (although based on past returns for guys like Murray, Clowe, Gaustad, etc, I'd assume they'd be somewhat high, even as rentals) I completely disagree with your assessment of them as players and your comparables.

When it comes to my heart, I love Cally more than Girardi, but the smart management move is to keep Girardi over Cally and i hope the Rangers see that.

AHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 09:55 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Dustin Brown lite who's having a much better year than the actual Dustin Brown.
Yeah this is kind of funny.
Over the last three years, there have been three polls of Brown vs. Callahan.

One Callahan destroyed Brown
The next Brown destroyed Callahan
and the third they more or less tied.

It really shows how fans look at "what have you done for me in the last two weeks".

I'd argue that Callahan and Brown have ~the same trade value. Callahan will not go for crap, even as a UFA, the type of player he is will create a lot of demand. Also, I'm sure that the Rangers can work out a deal where the team he is getting traded to can pre-arrange a contract. It has happened before, and ultimately increases the return.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
As a Leafs fan I want nothing to do with Girardi. Dumb as a sack of rocks (really low hockey IQ) and played his best years insulated in a system that magnified his strengths and masked his weaknesses. No surprise he has regressed under AV.

Callahan is a guy I would be really intrigued by. Basically a rich man's Clarktard. Signed or unsigned, he does have a lot of internal value to the Rangers given his leadership and community benefits, so I think the price would be too high for what the Leafs are willing to give up, especially since wing is our strongest position.
Callahan actually is a top six while Clarkson isn't.

Lupul/Kadri/Callahan

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:14 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I'd argue that Callahan and Brown have ~the same trade value. Callahan will not go for crap, even as a UFA, the type of player he is will create a lot of demand. Also, I'm sure that the Rangers can work out a deal where the team he is getting traded to can pre-arrange a contract. It has happened before, and ultimately increases the return.
I like both players, but having seen both would place a little more value on Callahan. I think he has better hockey sense.

If your club can't keep him I would expect Edmonton to step up immediately and make the strongest offer. The same can be said for Girardi.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote