HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
On the topic of adding one of Moulson/Vanek/Cammalleri, Camma can moonlight as a center in certain situations as well, if one of Stepan or Brassard goes down to injury.

If we re-sign Zuccarello long term, it should be in our interests to bring back Brassard at least for one more year to work with him. Perhaps re-sign Pouliot to be an extra forward in case the new LW signing doesn't work out. Cammalleri/Moulson/Vanek-Brassard-Zuccarello is a pretty small, soft unit.

Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Of course he wants to remain a Ranger. Not many players want to leave but they do for more term and money. The Rangers and his agent haven't gotten very far in their discussions which is why his name has been discussed in trades with other teams. From: @AGrossRecord
Sent: Jan 29, 2014 11:36a

Callahan says he wants to remain a Ranger. Knows there are going to be persistent rumors until his future is settled.

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...67284085706752
well if he wants to stay he has to give a little. 5 yrs, 5.5 for both Cally and Girardi. I think Sather does that. More that not so sure he will or should

Old
someone stole hank
Geno's and Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Carle Place View Post
But a team in Florida's position wouldn't trade for Callahan unless they have a contract worked out with him just prior to the trade, in which case the Rangers would be able to get more value than Versteeg. I see what you mean though.
Isn't Versteeg on Chicago now?

Old
01-29-2014, 12:04 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Say the Rangers re-sign Girardi,is Stralman in play? Katie Strang reported a few weeks that no talks had taken place between the Rangers and Stralman's agent. That guy has a million kids. I was the NHL Network on Saturday. The families were on the ice. He has 4 little kids. What is it with the Swedes and their kids? Nylander had 6 or 7 of them when he played for the Rangers in 2007. One of them will be a very good NHL player. The Rangers and his agent Paul Theofanous agreed to a 3 year contract. It was for $3.75M per. I think. Nylander said no and fired his agent. Nylander wanted big $ and Sather said no.
I would think that they want to sign Girardi, and they will then deal Stralman. They could get a good return for a piece they signed for nothing but dollars as a UFA.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

That Nylander incident changed the course of NYR history significantly.

1. We would not have traded Cullen
2. We would not have signed one of Drury/Gomez
3. Jagr might have hit his bonus and stayed another season

who knows all the silly things that might have gone on.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
He made 12 million dollars over the last three years, and is about to sign a contract somewhere that will undoubtedly be more than that. I think he and his family will be alright no matter where he signs.
And I think that continues to be a silly viewpoint. Wonder if you'd have the same one if you were in Callahan's shoes.

Old
Trxjw
Retired.

If St. Louis was interested in Callahan, I'd push hard for Vannelli. Though with their wing depth, I doubt they've even kicked the tires.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Two Tone Malone
Neopolitan Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone stole hank View Post
Isn't Versteeg on Chicago now?
Yea he is. Must've slept on that trade. My bad. Viper's post makes absolute sense.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:09 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

So does anyone still think its possible they keep both these guys and Brad Richards?

Looking at the numbers it just makes very little sense. They would have to let Boyle, Brassard and Strålman go, Callahan and Girardi would have to sign at 5,75 and Kreider, Pouliot and Zuccarello would have to take cheap deals for it to work even then. That would leave us with

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
Pouliot - Miller - Zuccarello
Carcillo - Moore - Dorsett

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Klein
Moore - Allen/McI/Falk

With very little cap room to spare. I just don't think its possible to do it and also have a good team.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
On the topic of adding one of Moulson/Vanek/Cammalleri, Camma can moonlight as a center in certain situations as well, if one of Stepan or Brassard goes down to injury.

If we re-sign Zuccarello long term, it should be in our interests to bring back Brassard at least for one more year to work with him. Perhaps re-sign Pouliot to be an extra forward in case the new LW signing doesn't work out. Cammalleri/Moulson/Vanek-Brassard-Zuccarello is a pretty small, soft unit.
I wouldn't consider Brassard, Moulson or Vanek small. Soft, sure maybe. But all three players are 6'1"+ and 200+ lbs.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
There is absolutely no situation where Richards should not be bought out. None.

01-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I wouldn't consider Brassard, Moulson or Vanek small. Soft, sure maybe. But all three players are 6'1"+ and 200+ lbs.
Well, recall looking down at Moulson, but I guess that's a relative thing.

Camma is truly small, though.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Ola

Quote:
People still think that $6m is $8m. It's pretty funny, really.
Yeah, amazing.

Everyone knows the cap is 80+m in y2 of any contract signed this summer.

People are referring to contracts signed when the cap was in the 50s.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:20 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
And I think that continues to be a silly viewpoint. Wonder if you'd have the same one if you were in Callahan's shoes.
Its also a view that doesnt take into account the fact that hes playing in NY..... So you can pretty much chop that salary in half because of the taxes..... That makes a big difference

Old
01-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

What about Sgarbossa as a potential target out of Colorado?

Old
01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Quote:
What about Sgarbossa as a potential target out of Colorado?
Don't know anything about him.

What's he like?

Old
01-29-2014, 12:23 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

last I read was that Cammy was out with yet another concussion.

I like him, but pass.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:24 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Callahan should get his payday. He'll likely miss out on upwards of 20 million over the length of the deal if he decides to stay and sign a hometown discount.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
Its also a view that doesnt take into account the fact that hes playing in NY..... So you can pretty much chop that salary in half because of the taxes..... That makes a big difference
Eh, I always felt that was a bit overblown. Get yourself a good accountant and that factor gets mitigated quickly.

Lots of baseball players declare residency in Florida to avoid it.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Vanek especially is a bigger guy. Very thick, Moulson is more wiry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vanek as a prime Sather target. Fills a need. Net front presence and very good goal scorer. Bigger guy adept at controlling the puck. Has already proven he can thrive in Buffalo who played an up-tempo system.

I still think Matt Greene from LA would be a good buy-low candidate. Absolute warrior.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:33 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Eh, I always felt that was a bit overblown. Get yourself a good accountant and that factor gets mitigated quickly.

Lots of baseball players declare residency in Florida to avoid it.
No doubt it can be mitigated but the majority of a player's tax burden in this context (income tax) is based on where the income is earned. And playing 41 games on NYC is a significant hit.

Not the be all end all but it is a factor.

01-29-2014, 12:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
For the umpteenth time, he's not a BAD player, I never said he's a bad player.

He's not effective enough to be making 6 million dollars.

I end it there.
I don't think the difference between $5M and $6M is enough to lose him.

It's just pain.
Old
01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
No doubt it can be mitigated but the majority of a player's tax burden in this context (income tax) is based on where the income is earned. And playing 41 games on NYC is a significant hit.

Not the be all end all but it is a factor.
Theres a reason its the greatest city in the world.

Does a player want to uproot his family to say, Dallas, to keep a little extra dough? All part of the process.

But time is not on the Rangers side, really. They should be making their best offer prior to the deadline.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't think the difference between $5M and $6M is enough to lose him.
Im more concerned about contract length than $'s

Old
01-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Rust Heisenberg

The Rangers probably leaked the info to McKenzie to try and expedite the process. McKenzie specifically said they won't lose them for nothing, extend by deadline or bust.

Callahan's agent came out days ago speaking incredibly formally - "hopefully something between the Rangers and my client can be done to achieve a resolution". Callahan came out today and stated he wanted to remain a Ranger. The onus lies on both the management and the player in this case.

I don't think they'll give Callahan or Girardi until the deadline to sign. I think they've given them roughly a week, until the roster freeze. The Rangers, as they stand, are 2nd in the Metro division, and quickly rising the ranks. It's not inconceivable that they can end the season 7-10 points behind the Penguins, lock up that 2nd spot, and make a run in the playoffs.

But they also won't sacrifice their players for nothing, according to McKenzie - who I do trust knows his stuff. Meaning, I do not think we'll be trading solely for prospects/picks.

An interesting trade would be to send Callahan and someone like Fast to the Sabres for Ott, Foligno, and a 1st. Callahan will conceivably resign with them, being as it will be a type of home coming for him. He's from Rochester, about an hour away. Ott is also a rental, they have an abundance of 1sts, they can give us a sub par one that they've collected and keep their likely top 2 one they have, and Foligno is a 3rd/4th liner that we sorely lack.

Closed Thread