HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2014, 10:52 AM
  #701
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Apart from being close to Rochester I don't see any reason why Callahan would want to play for Buffalo. They're literally the worst team in the league and that's with Miller playing lights out game in and game out. If Miller leaves like is probably going to happen that team is absolutely ****ed. All respect to that guy's neighbor but I'll believe it only after I see it.
He would be the leader of that team and the Sabres are going to get better... much, much better, in the life of his deal. Maybe he would want to be part of building something there.

Tawnos is online now  
Old
01-30-2014, 10:56 AM
  #702
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
Buffalo is building a STABLE of talent, and may have the first overall this year.

Obviously nothing is guarenteed but they don't seem incredibly far off from the Blackhawks in the mid 00s. If they are able to draft their Toews/Kane (easy right???) this year and presumably next year, watch the hell out.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 10:59 AM
  #703
Blurt Vision
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Going to be interesting to see what happens if Chicago buys out Hossa. Going to be a lot of interest in him. Also, who else is a buy out possibility?

Blurt Vision is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:02 AM
  #704
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,979
vCash: 500
Callahan would be pulling a reverse Drury - leaving the Rangers for his hometown team in Buffalo. Pegula will shell out the money for him and it allows Cally to be close to his family. The Sabres should be a decent team in a few years if their rebuild goes according to plan, and Cally would be a good veteran presence for a young team. Makes sense for both parties.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:03 AM
  #705
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I should point out, as an economist, that not all economists agree about inflation. That's as far into the issue as I'll go in a hockey board.

But Ola's point about expecting growth is legitimate due to the expected trends in TV revenue, ticket sales, and more disposable income for city residents.
The cap is going up. No one is disputing that. All of the outdoor games. The new TV revenue comes from the Rogers deal which is in Canadian funds. If you look at the 5 year chart or 10 year chart of the Canadian dollar. Its been a strong currency. The Canadian teams are high revenue teams. As their dollar gained strength the cap went up. At one time it was on par with the US dollar and stronger than our dollar. It broke 90 cents earlier this week.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:03 AM
  #706
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Stralman is actually more limited offensively than Girardi which is saying a lot.
hes snake bit now yes but his playoffs a year ago were magical.

he can shoot it and he can pass it better than girardi. and hes a better skater.

im sorry but i continue to believe hes the better overall player both skill wise and contract wise and its not even close when you factor in the bounty he would bring back to this organization.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:04 AM
  #707
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,129
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurt Vision View Post
Going to be interesting to see what happens if Chicago buys out Hossa. Going to be a lot of interest in him. Also, who else is a buy out possibility?
I don't know, but Hossa isn't a candidate.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
  #708
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
callahan to buf makes alot of sense really.

hell get his big payday. local kid. team captain. his parents still live in roch.

dont under sell buf. they are loaded with good young talent. that team has the makings of a good organization going forward.

and i want joel armia big time. kid is a flat out filthy sniper. love the big russian zadarov too.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
  #709
Kovacic
Registered User
 
Kovacic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Soo, just wondering.

Is anybody in this board on board with resigning Pouliot?
excellent ES player for his limited role. Yes please.

Kovacic is online now  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:10 AM
  #710
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,459
vCash: 500
The Panthers would be a good spot for Callahan. New deep pockets owner. No state income tax. That $6M+ in FLA is worth more than the same $ in NY. Maybe I have become jaded seeing so many players come and go and some return to leave agsin but what's the big deal with Callahan being traded. Very few players play for only one team in their careers.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:13 AM
  #711
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
He would be the leader of that team and the Sabres are going to get better... much, much better, in the life of his deal. Maybe he would want to be part of building something there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Buffalo is building a STABLE of talent, and may have the first overall this year.

Obviously nothing is guarenteed but they don't seem incredibly far off from the Blackhawks in the mid 00s. If they are able to draft their Toews/Kane (easy right???) this year and presumably next year, watch the hell out.
Well--they have nowhere else to go but up.

I understand that the Sabres have a lot of talent on the way. That being said Edmonton has had numerous first overall picks and where are they? Buffalo loses Miller and who replaces him? Enhroth? Hackett? Their D is leaky. A lot of great young kids there too but there's no one guy (like a Doughty, Pietrangelo) at the moment ready to take charge there. They're at least two years away from getting back to the playoffs IMO and probably several anyway from being a contender. Callahan doesn't have a lot of time if he wants to win.

eco's bones is online now  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM
  #712
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Panthers would be a good spot for Callahan. New deep pockets owner. No state income tax. That $6M+ in FLA is worth more than the same $ in NY. Maybe I have become jaded seeing so many players come and go and some return to leave agsin but what's the big deal with Callahan being traded. Very few players play for only one team in their careers.
Unfortunately, I don't see them being buyers for an unsigned player, but MAN would I be happy if we could get back one of Barkov/Huberdeau/Bjugstad in a deal for Cally...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:16 AM
  #713
Two Tone Malone
Let Blaine Die
 
Two Tone Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Well--they have nowhere else to go but up.

I understand that the Sabres have a lot of talent on the way. That being said Edmonton has had numerous first overall picks and where are they? Buffalo loses Miller and who replaces him? Enhroth? Hackett? Their D is leaky. A lot of great young kids there too but there's no one guy (like a Doughty, Pietrangelo) at the moment ready to take charge there. They're at least two years away from getting back to the playoffs IMO and probably several anyway from being a contender. Callahan doesn't have a lot of time if he wants to win.
Yea, it makes sense for Buffalo. Even if Callahan won't be there by the time they're contenders, it's just as important for them that a guy like Callahan be there for them in their young players' formative years so as to teach them how to be professionals and "play the right way." Still, Callahan will have to be fine with not contending for a coup for the next 4 years. Maybe he is, but I doubt it...he is a competitor.

Two Tone Malone is online now  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
  #714
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,017
vCash: 500
I don't know enough about Buffalo's owner and their financial situation.

At first glance it seems strange that a team thats entrenched in a multi-year rebuilding effort would shell out $40M for Ryan Callahan

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
  #715
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I don't know enough about Buffalo's owner and their financial situation.

At first glance it seems strange that a team thats entrenched in a multi-year rebuilding effort would shell out $40M for Ryan Callahan
A way to reach the cap floor and bring in a "leader" into their young locker room? Plus he's a local boy.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:45 AM
  #716
Kovacic
Registered User
 
Kovacic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Mint- I especially think Green should be an option if we plan to buy Richards out. BR is playing the point on both PPs. We can't replace him from within, not even close.

It's not easy to find a point player like that. Statsny wouldn't be close. He doesn't play that role. If not Green, who is the best we could do? Kimmo Timmonen at 5m per?
I would be down for Timonen at a 1yr deal if it comes down to it. I'm not sure if he can play the right side, so that's an issue.

Kovacic is online now  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:50 AM
  #717
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
hes snake bit now yes but his playoffs a year ago were magical.

he can shoot it and he can pass it better than girardi. and hes a better skater.

im sorry but i continue to believe hes the better overall player both skill wise and contract wise and its not even close when you factor in the bounty he would bring back to this organization.
He's got a better overall toolset than Girardi but I dont' think he uses it very often and I'm not holding my breath waiting for Stralman to break out offensively or anything. At this point any spurts of offense are an aberration, not an indication of his "true talent" or that he's "about to break out"

Levitate is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 11:59 AM
  #718
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
I would be down for Timonen at a 1yr deal if it comes down to it. I'm not sure if he can play the right side, so that's an issue.
The Rangers basically traded a little Timonen of their own in Del Zotto. Very similar skill sets and production, except Timonen was a smarter defender.

Smaller D, not great skaters, put up about 40 pts. Timonen needs to play with a big stay at home that clears the crease to be successful.

Played best hockey with Weber & Coburn.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
  #719
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
The Rangers basically traded a little Timonen of their own in Del Zotto. Very similar skill sets and production, except Timonen was a smarter defender.

Smaller D, not great skaters, put up about 40 pts. Timonen needs to play with a big stay at home that clears the crease to be successful.

Played best hockey with Weber & Coburn.
Timmonen is beyond slow now. No way.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:05 PM
  #720
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I don't know enough about Buffalo's owner and their financial situation.

At first glance it seems strange that a team thats entrenched in a multi-year rebuilding effort would shell out $40M for Ryan Callahan
I could see them doing it to avoid an Edmonton situation. I.e., a lot of very good young talent with no veteran leadership to speak of. "Hometown" boy like Callahan leading the resurgence could be quite the PR move and Buffalo lacks talent on the wings, IMO. Great defensive group, pretty solid center group that should improve immensely if they add Reinhart or Bennett at the draft.

Callahan agrees to an extension with the Sabres for Grigorenko and another piece? I heard a little bit about the Rangers trying to move up to grab him at the draft. Gives the Rangers a viable #1C prospect that they can let develop in the AHL next fall, while they re-sign Brassard to a one year deal as a cushion.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:09 PM
  #721
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I could see them doing it to avoid an Edmonton situation. I.e., a lot of very good young talent with no veteran leadership to speak of. "Hometown" boy like Callahan leading the resurgence could be quite the PR move and Buffalo lacks talent on the wings, IMO. Great defensive group, pretty solid center group that should improve immensely if they add Reinhart or Bennett at the draft.

Callahan agrees to an extension with the Sabres for Grigorenko and another piece? I heard a little bit about the Rangers trying to move up to grab him at the draft. Gives the Rangers a viable #1C prospect that they can let develop in the AHL next fall, while they re-sign Brassard to a one year deal as a cushion.
I'd love to add Grigorenko but I still doubt the Sabres are buyers

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:10 PM
  #722
Kovacic
Registered User
 
Kovacic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
The Rangers basically traded a little Timonen of their own in Del Zotto. Very similar skill sets and production, except Timonen was a smarter defender.

Smaller D, not great skaters, put up about 40 pts. Timonen needs to play with a big stay at home that clears the crease to be successful.

Played best hockey with Weber & Coburn.
Its too bad Timonen doesn't play the right side, otherwise he'd be a decent 1 yr investment.

Kovacic is online now  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:11 PM
  #723
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,906
vCash: 500
It's getting to the point where every time the board gets hung in a 503 error I assume a deal has gone down.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:11 PM
  #724
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Its too bad Timonen doesn't play the right side, otherwise he'd be a decent 1 yr investment.
No he wouldn't. Have you seen him play recently?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-30-2014, 12:14 PM
  #725
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I'd love to add Grigorenko but I still doubt the Sabres are buyers
Not so much about them being buyers as it is getting out ahead of the FA madness for a player they really want. If they move Moulson and Ott at the deadline and add Callahan, I don't think that'll play them out of the 1st overall pick.

Trxjw is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.