HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours Thread XIV: Rangers gauging interest on Callahan/Girardi

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2014, 12:57 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Yeah, but he doesn't suck and he isn't finished, far from that. In fact, he's still a very good defender in today's league. He's holding together an AHL defense once again. The Flyers would be truly awful without him.
There defense is awful with him and he is consistently beat down low and to the outside.

We obviously aren't going to agree on this. Agree to disagree.

Old
01-30-2014, 12:59 PM
Kovacic

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
There defense is awful with him and he is consistently beat down low and to the outside.

We obviously aren't going to agree on this. Agree to disagree.
Beat down low and to the outside? Every Flyers dman sucks when they aren't paired alongside him this year and it's been that way his entire career. It's obvious he's been doing something right.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I've been relatively pleased by Poopliot recently, but I think his future on this team depends a lot on what they decide to do in regards to acquiring a 3rd center and what they see for Miller going forward.

Miller is the obv choice in picking up Richards' minutes if they weren't to bring anyone in, but if they (which I suspect they will), I have a hard time they won't push Miller onto this team next year. I could see him fitting on a Brass/MZA line in the same role.

Might not be a bad idea to give Kristo a shot with them too. Obv he's more of a perimeter player compared to Poo, but I think the other two would open up enough space for him, which was his issue in the preseason in really making things happen.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Alright, people tried to dump on me yesterday when I suggested that moving Callahan to Buffalo would be a pertinent trade for both parties.

I come on today and that's the hot topic of discussion?

I'm not saying its gonna happen but this may be the most bi-polar website known to man.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Carle Place View Post
Only way we get Grigorenko is if he gets wind of us trying to trade for him and he so desperately wants to come here that he starts to threaten KHL.

Grigorenko would be heaven though. Finally, a true #1C prospect who'd probably feel more at home in the bright lights of NYC then the grey skies of Buffalo. Buffalo would live through it as well, as they'll have Girgensons and probably Reinhart or Bennett as their top 2 Centres of the future.
Haha ****. I didn't even think of Grigorenko yesterday when I thought what a potential package from Buffalo might look like.

I was thinking more along the lines of Foligno, Ott, and their 2nd (essentially a 1st).

Grigorenko and Foligno though...

Old
01-30-2014, 01:05 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

IMO I Cally would be a great fit in Chicago. They're strong down the middle and they're terrible on the PK. Cally adds a top6 forward, elite PKer and sandpaper to a team who's going to see a lot of physical play in the POs. Cally certainly skates well enough to keep up with the boys in Chicago. If he just so happens to see some ice time with Kane in the Olympics, it could really wet Chicago's pallet.

Earlier in the year the Rangers and Chicago executed a minor league deal, so it's not like these two franchise aren't talking.

Shaw and Saad have been very good and Teravainen is on the way. Chicago could move Pirri and not miss a beat. I'd definitely be happy with Callahan for Pirri. Labarbara wouldn't be an aweful addition to Hartford either. Further I could see the Rangers eating half salary to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Alright, people tried to dump on me yesterday when I suggested that moving Callahan to Buffalo would be a pertinent trade for both parties.

I'm not saying its gonna happen but this may be the most bi-polar website known to man.
I'm with you, always thought Cally to Buffalo is a possibility, via trade or signing. Trade only makes it much more likely for Buffalo and I don't think there's any question of whether he'll resign or not. Really, IMO, it's just a matter of what parts would Buffalo be willing to part with.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=76800959

Last edited by vipernsx: 01-30-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old
01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Beat down low and to the outside? Every Flyers dman sucks when they aren't paired alongside him this year and it's been that way his entire career. It's obvious he's been doing something right.
Erm, I don't see what's so difficult to understand here. He used to be a very good player. He's now only average at best. It happens. He's old. He's broken down. Guys his age don't normally continue to play ZOMFGAMAZING hockey and he is no different.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Yeah.... This is from the top Flyers blog on the internet, I'll just leave it here here. You know, 'real fans' who actually watch the game.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...season-2013-14

Coburn was brutal last season paired with Grossman. Schenn was great last year paired with Timonen. Now Coburn is great with Timonen and Schenn is looking like a bottom pair guy without Timonen.
lol Schenn was great? Really? Who said that? Schenn was never great. He looked bad last year and looks bad this year.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

There are a couple hundred people that post here on a regular basis. You can have an argument with one group of people one day, and then the next day find a different group of people that agree with you. "The Board" isn't an entity that operates together. A bunch of individuals with different opinions, ya know?

It's just pain.
Old
01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There are a couple hundred people that post here on a regular basis. You can have an argument with one group of people one day, and then the next day find a different group of people that agree with you. "The Board" isn't an entity that operates together. A bunch of individuals with different opinions, ya know?
This board isn't the Borg?

Old
01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
In general though, a lot of the same faces (errr, usernames) circulate the trade thread on a daily basis.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Board, Borg, what's the difference?

Old
01-30-2014, 01:19 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Different people have different opinions. Crazy, I know.

Personally, I don't see any reason why buffalo would trade for Cally. If they want him there as a leader and veteran presence then they can go after him in free agency. There's no need for them to give up valuable young assets that will be part of their rebuild. And everyone assumes that Cally would go there because of the Rochester connection, but maybe winning a cup is more important to him than being closer to home and helping a franchise rebuild.

There's no doubt that buffalo has some pieces that we could really use, but I don't see them being buyers.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Personally, I don't see any reason why buffalo would trade for Cally. If they want him there as a leader and veteran presence then they can go after him in free agency. There's no need for them to give up valuable young assets that will be part of their rebuild. And everyone assumes that Cally would go there because of the Rochester connection, but maybe winning a cup is more important to him than being closer to home and helping a franchise rebuild.

There's no doubt that buffalo has some pieces that we could really use, but I don't see them being buyers.
This is where I'm at as well

Old
01-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The only way Callahan is traded to Buffalo is if the Rangers allow his agent to negotiate a new contract BEFORE he is traded. It's possible that happens during the Olympic break. If the Rangers are dead set against bringing Callahan back AND are 100% sure trading him is the right thing to do it could make sense to allow his agent to negotiate with teams. It could make the return for Callahan higher. It could open up more teams to trading for Callahan. I saw somebody brought up Florida. It's possible if Florida has the chance to sign Callahan before he's traded they become a player in trade talks. The Rangers should be letting Callahan's agent talk to other teams. If he's getting traded what's the difference?

Old
01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

I respect that, but at the same time, they are stockpiling prospects and picks. Over the next 3 years they'll not only have the good crop of kids they've already drafted and are developping but they'll have a lot more high end talent to add to that too. A top 2 pick this year, a likely top 10 pick as they have the Islanders first in one of the next 2 seasons, another likely top 5 pick next year. After that, as HS said, watch out.

Cally will bring work ethic and fight into that group. Signing for 7 years allows him to challenge for a cup maybe 4-5 years into that term. You want your captain to grow with your youth - I can't think of another guy they could potentially get that is available and would fit that bill for the duration of their growing period.

edit: I got a little carried away and my point definitely was muddled. The abundance of talent they'll have coming in was used to show that they 1) can be cup contenders relatively soon - within the 7 years Cally signs the extension for and 2) that even if they part with some they are still in line for the same spot.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The only way Callahan is traded to Buffalo is if the Rangers allow his agent to negotiate a new contract BEFORE he is traded. It's possible that happens during the Olympic break. If the Rangers are dead set against bringing Callahan back AND are 100% sure trading him is the right thing to do it could make sense to allow his agent to negotiate with teams. It could make the return for Callahan higher. It could open up more teams to trading for Callahan. I saw somebody brought up Florida. It's possible if Florida has the chance to sign Callahan before he's traded they become a player in trade talks. The Rangers should be letting Callahan's agent talk to other teams. If he's getting traded what's the difference?
I can't see Callahan's motivation to negotiate a contract to facilitate a trade to the worst team in the league at the trade deadline.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Mikos87

If Cally does get traded, I would think STL or LA as destinations. But the Rangers will want a guy that can replace his minutes and role.

As much as I would like to see a return of Danault, Hartman, and Clendening from CHI, it's just not feasible without dropping from the pack this year by creating such a hole in the line up and organization.

I just don't see any teams trading a roster player to replace him if they are in the playoff picture.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Blurt Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think agents are very instrumental all the time. For instance, I believe Paul Theofanous completely brokered the Tyutin deal and initiated the Korpikoski move. In world soccer the agent is a tremendous driver of deals and I believe it's true here too.

Old
01-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
no, we're more like Cylons.

anyone seen Six around lately?

Old
01-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
If Cally does get traded, I would think STL or LA as destinations. But the Rangers will want a guy that can replace his minutes and role.

As much as I would like to see a return of Danault, Hartman, and Clendening from CHI, it's just not feasible without dropping from the pack this year by creating such a hole in the line up and organization.
Versteeg and a 1st, FTW

Old
01-30-2014, 02:03 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I respect that, but at the same time, they are stockpiling prospects and picks. Over the next 3 years they'll not only have the good crop of kids they've already drafted and are developping but they'll have a lot more high end talent to add to that too. A top 2 pick this year, a likely top 10 pick as they have the Islanders first in one of the next 2 seasons, another likely top 5 pick next year. After that, as HS said, watch out.

Cally will bring work ethic and fight into that group. Signing for 7 years allows him to challenge for a cup maybe 4-5 years into that term. You want your captain to grow with your youth - I can't think of another guy they could potentially get that is available and would fit that bill for the duration of their growing period.

edit: I got a little carried away and my point definitely was muddled. The abundance of talent they'll have coming in was used to show that they 1) can be cup contenders relatively soon - within the 7 years Cally signs the extension for and 2) that even if they part with some they are still in line for the same spot.
None of that changes the fact that buffalo would be better off trying to sign him in July, or that Cally may not want to sign there. If he wants to play there to be closer to home, then trading for him now is just a waste of assets.

Old
01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No that would be here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

The Hive Mind.

Old
01-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

I would love Grigorenko, with Duclair on his wing

Old
01-30-2014, 02:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post

I just don't see any teams trading a roster player to replace him if they are in the playoff picture.
Disagree. As I've posted elsewhere, the point in trading Cally is to get young assets at positions of need. One of the reasons he's available is that he's the third best RW on the team currently - and 3 of the team's closest/best prospects are RWs or can play RW (Fast/Kristo/Miller). I think you trade Cally, Fast steps in and the team doesn't miss much of a beat.

Closed Thread