HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Icing a Competitive Team @ $35M

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Icing a Competitive Team @ $35M

Most of you may think that signing Ziggy and adding another defenseman to the team would set the Kings near the $39M salary cap ceiling. It is still very possible to sign Ziggy, add a defenseman and have a team payroll at about $35-36M.

For that to happen, three players will have to be moved. Trent Klatt's status is up in the air. Let us assume that he is no longer part of the Kings. The other two who will have to go are Derek Armstrong and Joe Corvo. I would look at a team like Washington who has room to make additions and see if they'd be interested in either one of (or both of) Armstrong and Corvo. Boston is said to be in the market for another addition on their blueline, and I'm sure there is a team out there who could use Corvo.
Removing the contracts of Corvo, Armstrong and Klatt cuts $2,340,800 from the payroll.

With every remaining RFA re-signed on top of the current players under contract, let's say Ziggy accepts a deal similar to Dimitra's and signs a 2 or 3 year deal paying him $4.5M annually.
The #3-4 defenseman could range from $800K to $1M. I'm looking at Jiri Slegr who had a great 03-04 campaign with the Nucks and Bruins and was signed for $800K that season.

Player Pos. Salary Age
M. Norstrom D $2,660,000 33
A. Miller D $2,660,000 34
L. Visnovsky D $1,520,000 29
N. Dempsey D $874,000 31
T. Gleason D $646,000 22
M. Weaver D $450,000 27

J. Roenick C $4,940,000 35
C. Conroy C $2,394,000 34
E. Belanger C $758,100 27
P. Demitra W / C $4,500,000 30
A. Frolov W $1,100,000 23
L. Robitaille W $1,300,000 39
D. Brown W $942,000 20
M. Cammalleri W / C $900,000 23
S. Avery W / C $532,000 25
J. Cowan W $532,000 29
T. Kostopoulos W $525,000 26
R. Flinn W $450,000 25

M. Garon G $1,216,000 27
J. LaBarbera G $750,000 25

*J. Slegr D $800,000 34
*Z. Palffy W $4,500,000 33

Projected Team Payroll $34,949,100 28.7 (Avg. Age)

The opening night lineup could look something like...

Robitaille Roenick Palffy
Frolov Conroy Demitra
Brown Belanger Cammalleri
Cowan Avery Kostopoulos
Scratch: Flinn

Norstrom Slegr
Visnovsky Dempsey
Gleason Miller
Scratch: Weaver

Garon
LaBarbera

That would be a 22-man roster. The Kings could add another body as a healthy scratch at around the league minimum to round out the 23-man roster.

I'd consider adding P.J. Stock. A tough guy who can get the crowd going and actually play a shift and work as a LW or C and won't complain about the lack of ice time or sitting in the press box. He is a team player who will stand up for his teammates. What bothers me is the fact that he did not play during the 04-05 season and that he may still be recovering from a serious injury.

If not Stock, I would look at Steve Webb. Another heart and soul guy who won't back down from anybody and is one of the best body checkers in the league. Another name to consider would be Jim McKenzie, who would fill a similar role to what Stu Grimson provided to the Kings, a veteran leader on the bench and in the locker room who is well respected around the NHL.

Whatever happens, the Kings are in great position presently and will still have flexibility to make upgrades/additions in the future.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 08-06-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old
08-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Most of you may think that signing Ziggy and adding another defenseman to the team would set the Kings near the $39M salary cap ceiling. It is still very possible to sign Ziggy, add a defenseman and have a team payroll at about $35-36M.

For that to happen, three players will have to be moved. Trent Klatt's status is up in the air. Let us assume that he is no longer part of the Kings. The other two who will have to go are Derek Armstrong and Joe Corvo. I would look at a team like Washington who has room to make additions and see if they'd be interested in either one of (or both of) Armstrong and Corvo. Boston is said to be in the market for another addition on their blueline, and I'm sure there is a team out there who could use Corvo.
Removing the contracts of Corvo, Armstrong and Klatt cuts $2,340,800 from the payroll.

With every remaining RFA re-signed on top of the current players under contract, let's say Ziggy accepts a deal similar to Dimitra's and signs a 2 or 3 year deal paying him $4.5M annually.
The #3-4 defenseman could range from $800K to $1M. I'm looking at Jiri Slegr who had a great 03-04 campaign with the Nucks and Bruins and was signed for $800K that season.

Player Pos. Salary Age
N. Dempsey D $874,000 31
T. Gleason D $646,000 22
M. Weaver D $450,000 27

D. Brown W $942,000 20
J. Cowan W $532,000 29
R. Flinn W $450,000 25

M. Garon G $1,216,000 27

*J. Slegr D $800,000 34

Frolov Conroy Demitra
Cowan Avery Kostopoulos

Norstrom Slegr
Visnovsky Dempsey
Gleason Miller

Garon
LaBarbera

That would be a 22-man roster. The Kings could add another body as a healthy scratch at around the league minimum to round out the 23-man roster.

I'd consider adding P.J. Stock. A tough guy who can get the crowd going and actually play a shift and work as a LW or C and won't complain about the lack of ice time or sitting in the press box. He is a team player who will stand up for his teammates. What bothers me is the fact that he did not play during the 04-05 season and that he may still be recovering from a serious injury.

If not Stock, I would look at Steve Webb. Another heart and soul guy who won't back down from anybody and is one of the best body checkers in the league. Another name to consider would be Jim McKenzie, who would fill a similar role to what Stu Grimson provided to the Kings, a veteran leader on the bench and in the locker room who is well respected around the NHL.

Whatever happens, the Kings are in great position presently and will still have flexibility to make upgrades/additions in the future.
If, Frolov and Camms sign their qualifying offer we will be around 31 million. Signing Palffy for about 4.5-5 million and a defenseman for about 1 Million would put our payroll at about 36.5-37 Million. Depending on how much the Kings want it at we can trade the guys you mentioned. Just trying to make it a little more simple.

Old
08-06-2005, 02:01 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Which is why I stated if the Kings remove three contracts from the payroll. Cammalleri still has to prove himself in the NHL so I can't see him earning anything over $1M.
Frolov will probably get more than his qualifying offer and I could see him earning a contract anywhere from $1.3-1.8M.

If only Aaron Miller made a million less...
The Kings tried to save face by locking him up long term as he was the only product remaining from the Rob Blake trade and Schneider was dealt to Detroit. Miller would be worth the investment if only he remained healthy and played like he did during his first full season during the 01-02 season. His play that year escalated his value and made him a more prominent defenseman that NHL teams were more aware of. There is a reason why he's become a regular on the blueline for the US National team in international play.

Fortunately for the Kings, contracts will be expiring after the 05-06 season which will enable more 'flexibility' for improvements next summer.

Old
08-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Stock and Webb are both rotting in the minors. I dont know who they belong to anymore, they both seem to rotate between the Isles, Flyers, and Penguins.

Old
08-06-2005, 03:12 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Stock last played for the Philadelphia Phantoms and was property of the Boston Bruins. Both Stock and Webb are UFA's. They are not property of any team.

Old
08-06-2005, 03:19 AM
Reaper45

I wouldn't mind either really, but if I had to choose one, it'd be Stock. He can throw 'em.

Old
08-06-2005, 08:16 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Boston is said to be in the market for another addition on their blueline, and I'm sure there is a team out there who could use Corvo.
There are probably teams that could use Corvo, But Corvo to BOSTON just aint gonna happen it would be a PR nightmare for the Bs. When I saw that the Kings were playing in Boston this year I was excited because it gives us folks back east a chance to maybe see some of the former Monarchs playing for the Big club. My thoughts quickly shifted to I hope they don't dress Corvo in Boston.

Corvo to Atlanta maybe, he did play for their AHL affiliate Chicago last season. Wait a minute, scratch the Corvo to Atlanta thought. Atlanta probably knows too much about Corvo's game to be interested. But then again, Corvo to Atlanta would reunite Joe with his buddy Modry. In all seriousness, the position Atlanta is probably strongest at in their prospects is defense. So Corvo to Atlanta is highly unlikely to happen...

Last edited by King Blazer: 08-06-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old
08-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Reaper45

Maybe Corvo to a team in cap trouble? He's cheap, and we could probably get a decent return for him.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:45 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
There are probably teams that could use Corvo, But Corvo to BOSTON just aint gonna happen it would be a PR nightmare for the Bs. When I saw that the Kings were playing in Boston this year I was excited because it gives us folks back east a chance to maybe see some of the former Monarchs playing for the Big club. My thoughts quickly shifted to I hope they don't dress Corvo in Boston.

Corvo to Atlanta maybe, he did play for their AHL affiliate Chicago last season. Wait a minute, scratch the Corvo to Atlanta thought. Atlanta probably knows too much about Corvo's game to be interested. But then again, Corvo to Atlanta would reunite Joe with his buddy Modry. In all seriousness, the position Atlanta is probably strongest at in their prospects is defense. So Corvo to Atlanta is highly unlikely to happen...
On the ice is a an ok defender, off the ice he is a world class attacker.

Old
08-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:

Player Pos. Salary Age
N. Dempsey D $874,000 31
T. Gleason D $646,000 22
M. Weaver D $450,000 27

D. Brown W $942,000 20
J. Cowan W $532,000 29
R. Flinn W $450,000 25

M. Garon G $1,216,000 27

*J. Slegr D $800,000 34

Frolov Conroy Demitra
Cowan Avery Kostopoulos

Norstrom Slegr
Visnovsky Dempsey
Gleason Miller

Garon
LaBarbera

Old
08-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Well, I guess re-signing Ziggy isn't going to be happening, heh. This gives the Kings more options to play around with, possibly adding a forward who makes less than what Ziggy was seeking (and maybe making less of a commitment rather than being tied to a 3 year deal).

Old
08-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Well, I guess re-signing Ziggy isn't going to be happening, heh. This gives the Kings more options to play around with, possibly adding a forward who makes less than what Ziggy was seeking (and maybe making less of a commitment rather than being tied to a 3 year deal).
Only problem with that scenario is that the only forwards left are wash up or have less to offer than the rookies we already have.

The only quality left on the market now is in Hamrlik. If we don't get him I would rather take the ice with what we have.

Old
08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Only problem with that scenario is that the only forwards left are wash up or have less to offer than the rookies we already have.

The only quality left on the market now is in Hamrlik. If we don't get him I would rather take the ice with what we have.
Not all of them are washed up, but yeah, most of them are. I think we should explore added another guy via trade, and if not, then maybe Val Bure?

Old
08-06-2005, 04:37 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Not all of them are washed up, but yeah, most of them are. I think we should explore added another guy via trade, and if not, then maybe Val Bure?
Who has a chance to be one of the most improved guys because of the new rules. Gotta start thinking outside the bun.

Old
08-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be another free agent signing.
On the free agent market, these are the only remaining 'significant' names. I'm not suggesting to pursue these players, but just to give you an idea of what is left out there.

J. LeClair
T. Selanne
P. Bondra
A. Mogilny
A. Brunette
V. Bure
E. Lindros
C. Gratton
R. Whitney
M. Czerkawski
B. Savage
A. Cassels
J. Hrdina

Nothing too impressive. Some of them are cheaper options who may sign a short term deal (as I understand, the Kings didn't want to commit to a 3 year deal with Ziggy but were offering a 2 year deal). Ziggy wanted to sign one last contract before retiring, so he got that.

Of those names listed above, the most intriguing player to me is Ray Whitney. He has been VERY productive in the past playing for the Panthers and Blue Jackets and can play any forward position as well as the point on the powerplay. He is undersized but very shifty and creates many chances by either setting up his teammates or using his speed. If he can be had for a reasonable price (about $2M max) I think it is a risk I'd be willing to take with a one year deal with an option for a second year pending on his performance.

Other than him, I wouldn't spend too much time pursuing the other remaining forwards that are free agents.

Old
08-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be another free agent signing.
On the free agent market, these are the only remaining 'significant' names. I'm not suggesting to pursue these players, but just to give you an idea of what is left out there.

J. LeClair
T. Selanne
P. Bondra
A. Mogilny
A. Brunette
V. Bure
E. Lindros
C. Gratton
R. Whitney
M. Czerkawski
B. Savage
A. Cassels
J. Hrdina

Nothing too impressive. Some of them are cheaper options who may sign a short term deal (as I understand, the Kings didn't want to commit to a 3 year deal with Ziggy but were offering a 2 year deal). Ziggy wanted to sign one last contract before retiring, so he got that.

Of those names listed above, the most intriguing player to me is Ray Whitney. He has been VERY productive in the past playing for the Panthers and Blue Jackets and can play any forward position as well as the point on the powerplay. He is undersized but very shifty and creates many chances by either setting up his teammates or using his speed. If he can be had for a reasonable price (about $2M max) I think it is a risk I'd be willing to take with a one year deal with an option for a second year pending on his performance.

Other than him, I wouldn't spend too much time pursuing the other remaining forwards that are free agents.
Honestly I would rather have Selanne than Whitney. I think Whitney is only productive when he is the #1 guy. He will not have that opportunity with the Kings. When it comes down to it I say maybe make a decent offer for Hamrlik. If he doesn't bite then we hand the reigns over to the young guys and pray.

Old
08-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Selanne and Mogilny catch my eye, but then I look at their age and other factors. For Mogilny, it has been his injuries. For Selanne, it has been his lack of production rather than injuries.

Teemu has remained healthy over the past few seasons and isn't an injury prone player. He has lost a step and isn't as lethal of a scorer as he once was. Could he return to that form and score 30+ goals again? It is possible.

The same applies for Mogilny, but rather than his production, it is his health that concerns me. He can still be the most dangerous player on the ice, but that is when he is healthy and playing, and that has been happening less frequently.

I'm not sure how Mogo's health is currently and whether or not he is at 100%, but if the Kings were to look at either one of Selanne or Mogilny, I would hope that they sign incentive laden deals and on a short term (with a team/player option that will be triggered if they reach certain milestones).

I should also add that I don't want to see the Kings to sign a player just for the sake of saving face and making it look like they are covering up the loss of Ziggy Palffy with a patch. Signing Selanne or Mogilny could do that, and I don't want to see them spending money on a player for what he has accomplished in the past. They should sign a player who could help them in the present and the future.

Old
08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Well, we can scratch another name I suggested off the list as Ray Whitney signed a 2 yr/$3M deal with Carolina. Look for him to replace Jeff O'Neill's spot on the wing.

Closed Thread