HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is Ice Hockey the Best Olympic Team Sport?

Old
01-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
I can't even think of another team sport for these Olympics off the top of my head.

I will be watching hockey and figure skating with great interest. A lot of intensity and drama there.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 04:51 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
I don't know about "best" but it may be the most popular/watched. Didn't someone mention in another thread that the Gold medal final for 2010 in ice hockey vastly eclipsing the viewership for the Gold medal final for 2012 for basketball? Granted, USA/Canada might have generated a slightly more interesting story than USA/Spain,
You must be talking about just NA.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:13 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Women's beach volleyball. Aww yeah.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Great place to ask this question.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
Atas2000

Voleyball has an edge not only because there a men an women tournements both competitive enough.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Obviously Sweden and France is not the whole world but i know everybody here in Sweden watched the mens Handball final which for some godforsaken reason was played at the same time as the USA-Spain basketball final. Everybody but me that is, i had rooted for Spain all tournament and they sure made me proud in that game although they lost. That's some great entertainment right there.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:09 AM
joe89

Seems like a subjective discussion. It sure ain't the most popular olympic team sport.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Hockey is my favourite Olympic team sport. I wouldn't say it was the widest appeal though. Soccer, basketball and even, yes, handball are more widely watched.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:22 AM
likid

I don't see this as fair comparison, because ice-hockey is only true Winter Olympics team sport and really don't have anything comparable that would compete with.

It could become interesting if rumors about handball to become Winter Olympic sport instead Summer Olympic Sport sometime in the near future shows true. Then there will be direct comparison.

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Namejs

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
No, I am not joking.

I never said said about water polo generating more revenue or anything along those lines. I just said that in terms of international competition, it is comparable to hockey, and what I mean is there are a few top countries (Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Spain, Greece, Montenegro, Italy, USA), followed by a few more who are decent but who cannot really beat the top teams (Germany, Romania, Canada, Australia), and then the rest which are getting lit up, very similar to hockey. What I mean is that waterpolo can't have more than 12 teams at the OG just like hockey can't either.

On the other hand, handball is much more popular. Check the stats? I have already checked the stats and they indicate that handball is a more popular sport than hockey. Just because people in Canada and the USA haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not popular. You are saying it's a very regional sport, but hockey isn't? Handball is popular in Europe, North Africa and parts of Asia, but there are also some good South American teams. What about hockey?
So if there are about 10 000 players globally and a few top teams and 12-16 nations in the sport, it means that the respective sport is just as popular as hockey?

Let's completely ignore the actual popularity of the sport and let's just count the number of teams in the Olympic Games. Great logic there, pal! So I guess floorball is just as popular as ice hockey then as well. Great stuff.

Handball is NOWHERE near being as popular as ice hockey. The biggest handball league in the world can't match the 2nd tier European hockey leagues in attendance.

Attendance, TV ratings, sponsorship - handball is nowhere near ice hockey.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post

I hope you're joking.

Because water polo is a joke. It's only popular in the Balkans. Name me one water polo club worth a billion dollars. Name me one water polo league averaging a million spectators per year. Name me one water polo-player who's a millionaire. There are none.

It's a marginal sport. There are dozens of different team sports like that.

As for handball, it's not a marginal sport, but it's only popular regionally, in some part of Europe. And the popularity is just not comparable to ice hockey. Look up the stats please, then talk.
Why does someones view on a sport have to be based off of others views of it?

First of all, just because Water Polo is CURRENTLY not a billion dollar sport does not mean it cant be. Selling a product has to do with marketing. There are tons of things today that are widely popular that were not 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

Water Polo is actually a very awesome sport to play and most certainty watch. Its not my fault they dont show it in the USA. Its not my fault that USA is not that great at it.

I am Croatian, I love watching Water Polo whenever I go there. Its a real interesting sport.

Sorry I am not that big of a fan of American football and baseball. Though they are the richest sports in NA and especially NY I am not impressed. Sorry if standing around waiting 5 minutes for a hit or a bunt is not that exciting. Sorry if 10000 commercials during a 2 hour game with only 11 minutes of playing time isnt that exciting. Id play it, and i watch from time to time but I rather do something else.

I would love to surround my sports viewing around these sports:
1) Hockey
2) Soccer
3) Rugby
4) Handball
5) Water Polo
6) Curling
7) Crashed Ice Red Bull
8) Wrestling (greco roman)
9) MMA
10) Basketball

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Thesensation19

Popularizing a sport has a lot to do with marketing. Simple as that.

Hockey in Croatia was unheard of. Literally. In many places except the capital, the country had no idea what it was until Youtube came out and gave a general idea.

Medvescak was an old Yugoslavia team that was revisited by new owners. They came in, and changed the entire culture. They did everything in making the team popular. Outdoor home games, bringing in NHL coaches and staff and rosters. Marketing it as if it were really cool to play hockey. Creating developmental camps.

Going into more competitive leagues. Raising money. Getting better players. Winning games. marketing. Social media. Grew popularity.

Outdoor game in a coliseum.

And In 10 years that team became the 13th most popular team in Europe.
Now its in the KHL.

And it all started with a dream.

Handball, water polo... rugby. they can all do this. It needs the right leader.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
smurfyeah19

Yeah it's really the perfect tournament, basketball is good IMO but the USA is clearly head and shoulders better than the rest of the world which lessens it. Also few teams have a starting lineup of all pros in basketball, while many of these hockey teams are filled with elite talent

smurfyeah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:37 AM
boris4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
So if there are about 10 000 players globally and a few top teams and 12-16 nations in the sport, it means that the respective sport is just as popular as hockey?

Let's completely ignore the actual popularity of the sport and let's just count the number of teams in the Olympic Games. Great logic there, pal! So I guess floorball is just as popular as ice hockey then as well. Great stuff.

Handball is NOWHERE near being as popular as ice hockey. The biggest handball league in the world can't match the 2nd tier European hockey leagues in attendance.

Attendance, TV ratings, sponsorship - handball is nowhere near ice hockey.

Can you name me all the countries in the world where hockey is more popular than handball? There are not a lot, so you should be able to do it without any problems.

Also, don't forget that in a lot of countries where hockey is more popular, handball remains a strong sport, like in Germany or in Sweden.

Not to mention the women's side of the sport, where handball's superiority is even greater. We just recently had a South American team (Brazil) win the 2013 World Women's Handball Championship. When will that happen in hockey?

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 12:53 PM
latvianhockeyfan

Quote:

Can you name me all the countries in the world where hockey is more popular than handball? There are not a lot, so you should be able to do it without any problems.

Also, don't forget that in a lot of countries where hockey is more popular, handball remains a strong sport, like in Germany or in Sweden.

Not to mention the women's side of the sport, where handball's superiority is even greater. We just recently had a South American team (Brazil) win the 2013 World Women's Handball Championship. When will that happen in hockey?

There are no places- where handball is first team sport in country, and there are not many places- where handball is even top2 sport- in country...

Denmark, Germany, Norway, Iceland, Tunisia, Egypt- but it depends in regions.
North Germany - Handball, Other regions- Ice hockey, basketball.
Similar- Norway, Denmark..

Ice hockey

First- Canada, Finland.
1-2 Slovakia, Latvia.
2- Sweden, Czech Republic,Switzerland, Russia, Belarus
2-4 USA, Kazakhstan, Norway, Denmark, Austria..

Sorry but you can't take handball so serious- if Iceland with 300k population can win medal in Olympics or European championships...

Last edited by latvianhockeyfan: 01-30-2014 at 12:59 PM.
latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 12:54 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Definitely Curling.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 01:16 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyeah19 View Post
Also few teams have a starting lineup of all pros in basketball, while many of these hockey teams are filled with elite talent
Every basketball player at the olympics is a pro.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Doshell Propivo

Give me ice dancing any day...

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:28 PM
zamo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianhockeyfan View Post
Sorry but you can't take handball so serious- if Iceland with 300k population can win medal in Olympics or European championships...
Handball is a national sport in Iceland. On the other hand we have Slovenia with 200 adult players, with maybe 40 players who live from playing the game, that can play at the ice hockey Olympics. And ice hockey is like #5 sport in the country.

I dont understand this trashing of handball. France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Scandinavia (- Finland), Romania, Hungary, ex-Yugoslav countries, Russia, Belarus.. In all those Euro places handball has a status of a major sport. I would dare to say that handball has a higher status than ice hockey in 90% of the mentioned countries.

Personally ice hockey for me is the best Olympic team sport (considering football at the Olympics isnt that serious). But basketball at the Olympics is followed by more people, generates more media/fan hype..

Last edited by zamo86: 01-30-2014 at 06:42 PM.
zamo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:33 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS130 View Post
No doubt about it. The only other sports that stand a chance are volleyball, water polo, and handball

Football (soccer) is lame in the olympics because it's not the best players in the world. It's primarily the U-20 teams

Basketball is lame because it's not competitive at all. Sure it's fun to watch us dominate from time to time, but it gets old
Olympic soccer still gets a huge amount of attention around the world because it's soccer (even though the Olympic soccer tournament itself has been largely meaningless for the last 50 or so years). That's why the IOC won't get rid of soccer even as they scheme to get rid of storied Olympic sports such as wrestling.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Namejs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Why does someones view on a sport have to be based off of others views of it?

First of all, just because Water Polo is CURRENTLY not a billion dollar sport does not mean it cant be. Selling a product has to do with marketing. There are tons of things today that are widely popular that were not 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago.

Water Polo is actually a very awesome sport to play and most certainty watch. Its not my fault they dont show it in the USA. Its not my fault that USA is not that great at it.

I am Croatian, I love watching Water Polo whenever I go there. Its a real interesting sport.
I'm not teasing you, when water polo was mentioned here I laughed. I don't take it seriously and I haven't heard of anyone who watches the sport. Lacrosse, floorball, american football, frisbee, bandy, baseball, etc., are all much more popular here and water polo wouldn't make the top 100 most popular sports list. I don't think there's a single team in the country.

It's only taken seriously in a handful of countries around the Balkans.

The whole concept of water polo is almost as ridiculous as the suggestion that it's as big as ice hockey in terms of popularity.

Old
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Namejs

Quote:

Pro hockey matches are attended about 70 million times globally every year. So not far from 100 million, including amateur leagues, NCAA, etc.

The attendance of NHL alone is 20M+ people per year. 6.5M+ in AHL, 4M+ in KHL, 4M in ECHL, 3.5M in WHL, 2.6M in OHL, 2.3M in QMJHL, 2.2M in DEL, 2.1M in NLA, 2M in SM-Liiga, 1.9M in SEL, 1.9M in CHL, 1.9M in Extraliga, 1.4M in VHL, 1.2M in Allsvenskan.

Where on this list would be the world's biggest handball league and the world's 2nd biggest handball league?

The German handball league (the most popular handball league on this planet) would rank between the Russian 2nd division and Allsvenskan.

The second most popular handball league in the world - the French one - wouldn't make this list. The attendance in France is similar to the attendance in the Danish semi-pro ice hockey league.

As for the TV audience, the ratings in Spain, which is supposed to be one of the major powers in handball, are not as good as ice hockey ratings in Latvia, which is a 23.5 times smaller country.

And apparently that's only one of the few of European countries where handball is more popular than ice hockey.

Old
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Yes, by far. I am obviously biased though.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Wtf is handball?

I googled it. It looks like dodgeball. Is it dodgeball?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:53 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wtf is handball?

I googled it. It looks like dodgeball. Is it dodgeball?
It's basically a cross between basketball and soccer.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote