HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan

Old
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Jeffro

vCash: 500
Ryan Callahan

With the Rangers looking like they're going to be moving Callahan before the deadline, what do we think of finding him a spot in St. Louis? Could also be a decent chance to unload Stewart, and the difference between Stewart and Callahan in a trade would likely be reasonable for us. Edmonton's second, maybe?

Steen Backes Schwartz
Berglund/Paajarvi Roy/Berglund Oshie
Callahan Sobotka Tarasenko
Morrow Lapierre Reaves

I like the look of that a whole lot.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Not sure if Schwartz is as effective on the right side.

I like the idea of trading Stewart for an upgrade at the deadline, but this seems forced.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:06 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 362
I would like to trade Stew for anyone that can reasonably play in the top 9 and is defensively responsible. Bonus if they will stick up for teammates.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Jeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
I would like to trade Stew for anyone that can reasonably play in the top 9 and is defensively responsible. Bonus if they will stick up for teammates.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Hence, Callahan. Seems like he would also be good at creating space for Vladdy and Frank.

Old
01-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 103
A few months back, I questioned whether or not Oshie would make the US team because his skill set seemed to be a redundant one with the way the team was built.

Team USA is similar to the Blues. I question whether or not Callahan wouldn't be a redundant piece for the Blues. Is he going to play over Oshie or Tarasenko? Probably not. Add the fact that he's a pending UFA and seemingly coming with a high price tag and I say no.

Love the player, but don't see the need.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

vCash: 12806
I'd swap Stewart for Callahan.

EDIT: I should add though, that the swap would not involve us adding one of our high picks.

Last edited by Oberyn; 01-29-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
There is absolutely no chance of signing Callahan to an extension. None. If he was willing to take something close to reasonable then the Rangers would sign him to an extension.

Stewart & the 30th/31st pick in the draft isn't remotely worth an underperforming player. Hell, he is lucky he was a lock for the Olympic team in the summer because there is no reason he should be on the roster ahead of Okposo.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:25 PM
rrude

Callahan is a heart and soul player. He's a guy who can will a goal at a needed moment. He will fill any role on the ice. I can only think of a handful of players who exemplify the style the Blues are trying to play, Callahan is one of them. I think it's an open question which Blues players are better than him. I think you could swap him for any one of our older core players and it would probably be an upgrade. Why? Will to win. This guy has literally been killing himself trying to keep a floundering Rangers team afloat the last two years. Very similar to Backes the last couple years when he needed to do too much, and played injured a lot.

He's not the sort of player you give up a ton of assets for, but if we could get him, he is the sort of player who could be a missing piece for a Cup run.

Not saying it's a practical idea, but if you're Doug Armstrong, you have to at least check the price. Sorry I get to watch a lot of Rangers up here, and he's been the best player for a long time.

rrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
illninofan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
Callahan is a heart and soul player. He's a guy who can will a goal at a needed moment. He will fill any role on the ice. I can only think of a handful of players who exemplify the style the Blues are trying to play, Callahan is one of them. I think it's an open question which Blues players are better than him. I think you could swap him for any one of our older core players and it would probably be an upgrade. Why? Will to win. This guy has literally been killing himself trying to keep a floundering Rangers team afloat the last two years. Very similar to Backes the last couple years when he needed to do too much, and played injured a lot.

He's not the sort of player you give up a ton of assets for, but if we could get him, he is the sort of player who could be a missing piece for a Cup run.

Not saying it's a practical idea, but if you're Doug Armstrong, you have to at least check the price. Sorry I get to watch a lot of Rangers up here, and he's been the best player for a long time.
I hear those terms thrown around when describing Callahan, but, in a nutshell, what exactly is his playing style?

I'm only somewhat familiar.

Is he as physical as Backes? Or is just plain gritty like Morrow? Further, how would he help us against the Pacific juggernauts?

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Hooliganx3

He's just not playing well this season. He's an UFA at the end of the year.

Really no reason to trade for him at all.

Btw Stewart holds more value due to contract status.

People seem to get to caught up on reputations of players instead of the player they currently are.

Hooliganx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:45 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Callahan is having a bad year and that's why I wouldn't trade for him, especially for what New York will want and what desperate GMs will give.

That being said, he's still a better option than Stewart, but that really doesn't matter. With the way Hitch currently has the lineup, Steen, Tarasenko, and Oshie are the 3 RWs anyway.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Jeffro

I really do think losing Stewart will be addition by subtraction, and Callahan is exactly the kind of hard working winger who can chip in some points that would be ideal in his roster spot.

Down year or not, he fits our lineup much better. And, by the by, clearing Stewart's salary helps us pay for Sobotka next year, let alone raises to Schwartz and/or Tarasenko or a guy like Stastny.

Old
01-29-2014, 09:44 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Yes, but it's not a simple Stewart for Callahan. If that's the case, then it's worth thinking about if Army is planning on moving Stewart in the summer.

But, as it stands now, Callahan doesn't have a spot in the lineup even with Stewart gone. If we trade for a forward, it will be for a 3rd line center to put Berglund on the wing permanently.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Jeffro

I suspect it wouldn't take much more than Stewart if the Rangers really think Callahan is leaving, but I'd start with offering our second and be willing to change that to Edmonton's second or one of Rattie, Hakanpaa or Cole. I may be overvaluing Callahan but Frank-Sobe-Callahan is a line I sure like the look of.

Old
01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
DaddyPadre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
With the Rangers looking like they're going to be moving Callahan before the deadline, what do we think of finding him a spot in St. Louis? Could also be a decent chance to unload Stewart, and the difference between Stewart and Callahan in a trade would likely be reasonable for us. Edmonton's second, maybe?

Steen Backes Schwartz
Berglund/Paajarvi Roy/Berglund Oshie
Callahan Sobotka Tarasenko
Morrow Lapierre Reaves

I like the look of that a whole lot.

why would they want Chris Stewart? lol

DaddyPadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:11 AM
DaddyPadre

Quote:

this post is dumb considering stewart is one of the handful of guys that is willing to drop the gloves. I trade berglund before i trade Stew

Old
01-30-2014, 11:15 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyPadre View Post
this post is dumb considering stewart is one of the handful of guys that is willing to drop the gloves. I trade berglund before i trade Stew
That's great and all, but Berglund can maintain the puck in the offensive zone when it's on his stick for longer than 3 seconds.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
I suspect it wouldn't take much more than Stewart if the Rangers really think Callahan is leaving, but I'd start with offering our second and be willing to change that to Edmonton's second or one of Rattie, Hakanpaa or Cole. I may be overvaluing Callahan but Frank-Sobe-Callahan is a line I sure like the look of.

Thank God you're not in charge of the Blues.

Terror91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:57 AM
DaddyPadre

Quote:
That's great and all, but Berglund can maintain the puck in the offensive zone when it's on his stick for longer than 3 seconds.

not really considering i have never seen someone so big and soft in my life the one time he used his frame this year to get a goal was against the hawks. Other than that spare me the BS he can shoot he can shoot but he never does plus if you look at his goals watch how many go off his pants, leg, shoulder etc its comical. "berglund goal" - empty net, deflection of his body non intentional

Old
01-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
if you look at his goals watch how many go off his pants, leg, shoulder etc
Refresh my memory...do those goals count as .5 goals this year or have they been decreased to .25? I know deflection points were modified in the CBA but I can never remember the exact numbers.

Thanks.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:01 PM
TK 421
I blame Tarasenko

Quote:
not really considering i have never seen someone so big and soft in my life the one time he used his frame this year to get a goal was against the hawks. Other than that spare me the BS he can shoot he can shoot but he never does plus if you look at his goals watch how many go off his pants, leg, shoulder etc its comical. "berglund goal" - empty net, deflection of his body non intentional
If Berglund is big and soft that pretty much makes Stewart a snuggly plush toy who occasionally fights.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
If Berglund is big and soft that pretty much makes Stewart a snuggly plush toy who occasionally fights.
Soft Euro vs. Good 'ol Canadian boy...

Lord Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:09 PM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Sounds about right

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:24 PM
rrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
He's just not playing well this season. He's an UFA at the end of the year.

Really no reason to trade for him at all.

Btw Stewart holds more value due to contract status.

People seem to get to caught up on reputations of players instead of the player they currently are.
Callahan is having a down year because he does what Backes did the last couple years: Tries to do everything for a team that doesn't quite have enough talent and winds up playing injured most of the season. There's a reason he wears the C. Put him on a team where doesn't have to be the man, and he'll be much better off.

He's got a lot of what Parise offers on offense, but plays with more edge and isn't afraid to fight. To me, he's in the same category as Backes, top-tier grinder.

I think if you could flip Berglund and minimal other assets for him, you do it. NY is only considering trading him (apparently) because he's not seeming too enthused on re-signing there. I would guess the reason is because he wants to contend for a cup, he's getting to the last few years of his prime, and he doesn't think NYR will be going anytime soon.

rrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Hooliganx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
Callahan is having a down year because he does what Backes did the last couple years: Tries to do everything for a team that doesn't quite have enough talent and winds up playing injured most of the season. There's a reason he wears the C. Put him on a team where doesn't have to be the man, and he'll be much better off.

He's got a lot of what Parise offers on offense, but plays with more edge and isn't afraid to fight. To me, he's in the same category as Backes, top-tier grinder.

I think if you could flip Berglund and minimal other assets for him, you do it. NY is only considering trading him (apparently) because he's not seeming too enthused on re-signing there. I would guess the reason is because he wants to contend for a cup, he's getting to the last few years of his prime, and he doesn't think NYR will be going anytime soon.
It's about money not about contending for the cup. Callahan wants to get paid. We wont be able to resign him for the amount he will command.

His style of play is going to lead to more injuries as he gets older as well. It's not trying to do everything injuries just are a byproduct of his style of play. It's doubtful he will get any healthier this season going into the playoffs as well. He will most likely be suffering from injuries going into the playoffs and his level of play will be at the level it currently is.

Hooliganx3 is offline   Reply With Quote