HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild @ Avs | Thursday, January 30th, 7pm MT | 8 point game

Old
01-29-2014, 09:49 PM
cgf
Fire [new coach]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Only Minnesota likes watching Minnesota.
I like minnesota as a place a lot, so I like the wild, but even I don't like watching them unless they're playing somebody I do like watching.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Chileiceman

Do not get the PAP scratching at all. I mean I get it, it's because Roy likes to have a fourth line that can't score, as do most coaches for some reason. I absolutely despise that philosphy. If I were GM I would have 4 lines of forwards who could produce. Basically, I would get rid of McLeod, Bordeleau and Cliche. Call up Malone, Van Der Gulik and Olver, and play them 7 minutes a night. Malone has a lot more talent than what he showed in his last call up. He was trying too hard to be a grinder, hitting everything that moved.

How is the team better with McLeod or Bordeleau than Parenteau, who is a better player in every facet in the game aside from hitting people? Forwards are there to create offense. Parenteau can do that.

Not that I hate our fourth line, I think they play well considering their skill level. Cliche is a good PKer. Bordeleau's hands and passing have improved a lot. McLeod is a too slow for my liking for a PK role, but he is decent in front of the net. Would rather see O'Reilly be paired with Mitchell on that PK unit.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

If Roy has an issue with PAP's effort, the benching makes perfect sense. PAP is a better player than some of the other guys in the lineup but at least they compete every night.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Kinda surprised we don't have a consolidated PAP thread to discuss him and his benching and possibility of a trade in one place...

Anyways, he came back from what appeared to be a pretty decent injury a hell of a lot faster than expected. The NHL and the Avalanche never really make it a habit of discussing player injuries in detail. So I'll throw some dookie at the wall and see if it sticks...

PAP's injury looked to be bad. He came back really quick. Maybe Roy thinks he's not a gamer and could've played through a ding more than he did and is now giving him a little more time to think about it. Or maybe a trade really is imminent. One thing is for sure...we'll never know for sure or if it is a trade we'll see it on avalanche.com, hear from Eurolanche or read it in Rick Sadowski's blog before Dater gets a sniff.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I don't believe everything Roy says to the media but he seemed very surprised and excited when he talked about PAP recovering quickly and coming back. I also doubt he would question PAP's toughness when the Avs doctors/trainers said he is supposed to be out 6 weeks.

Roy being unhappy with PAP's play/effort or PAP being unhappy about playing on the 3rd/4th lines and making a fuss about it seems more likely.

Old
01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
forsbergavs32

I would've thought that if it was PAP's effort/play that the benching would've only been for the Dallas game, not continue through the Minnesota game. It just makes me think there's some trade coming soon and he's gonna be shipped off ASAP. I could obviously be wrong, but it just seems odd to have someone a healthy scratch for 2 games because of effort, would think 1 game would send PAP the message well enough.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

You don't just come back from a knee injury in half the time it was reported because coach tells you to get out there and suck it up. It was reported he was walking fine, never wore a brace, etc. it probably wasn't as severe as it was first diagnosed/reported. Maybe he was rushed from a conditioning aspect where Roy wanted to showcase him as back from injury before the Olympic freeze and didn't take enough time to practice and get back in the flow, that I can believe.

Remember PAP took those two penalties early in the Tampa game, wasn't it?

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I don't believe everything Roy says to the media but he seemed very surprised and excited when he talked about PAP recovering quickly and coming back. I also doubt he would question PAP's toughness when the Avs doctors/trainers said he is supposed to be out 6 weeks.

Roy being unhappy with PAP's play/effort or PAP being unhappy about playing on the 3rd/4th lines and making a fuss about it seems more likely.
If they were paying me 4M a season I would be out hawking hot-dogs in the arena if I was scratched. Just me I suppose. Like I said, I was throwing dookie at the wall, I really didn't believe it but I do wonder about Roy's thought process, I'm not really at the point that I question it but I would like to understand better why he thinks the team is better off with Mitchell than PAP. I can understand guys like Bordy and McLeod not being scratched unless Mitchell is moving back to the 4th line. It seems more logical to assume Mitchell is the one being showcased here in a utility role.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Mitchell is way better two-way player than PAP.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Big Perm
Fiddy

PAP does suck at defense.

Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:01 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Mitchell and Cliche PK, Roy doesn't want to take them out. The idea isn't to burn out O'Reilly playing him 20+ minutes a night. I prefer MacKinnon playing with some talent so I can't argue against giving Bordy/McLeod/Cliche a seat on occasion so MacKinnon can have PA on his line and have more of a scoring threat there.

It would have been easier for Roy to lie and say PA's knee needs some rest than to confirm he's a healthy scratch, so to that extent it's curious. I'm still not sure what to think from Monday since we never heard Roy.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

It was funny how Roy completely ignored the question about PAP and only spoke about Tanguay returning from injury. Then he was asked about PAP a second time and that's when he said he would be out.

Old
01-30-2014, 02:38 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
Even before his injury I thought PAP was by far the slowest forward on the team. I'd take the duke out of retirement and line him up against PAP in a race. He's better than the 4th line scrubs with the puck on his stick, but his problem is that he's either too slow or lazy to get the puck on his stick.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:18 AM
DanglesFromDuchene

I don't understand this "why is bordeleau playing over pap" idea. Last time I checked, Bordy isn't playing in PAP's spot. Totally different roles.

DanglesFromDuchene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:45 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I was looking at some advanced stats last night. We've played over 100 more minutes 5 on 5 than any other team with a 1 goal lead.
96.32 sv%.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanglesFromDuchene View Post
I don't understand this "why is bordeleau playing over pap" idea. Last time I checked, Bordy isn't playing in PAP's spot. Totally different roles.
What's Bordelau's role? You can't say fighting because he doesn't do much of that.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Semyon Vezinamov
Wubba lubba dub dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
What's Bordelau's role? You can't say fighting because he doesn't do much of that.
Bordy keeps the other teams honest just by being an option on the ice. He is not taking PAP's spot on the ice, though. Honestly, I would say that Mitchell has done that. I think Roy likes Mitchell's versatility and skill-set on the third line more than PAP, mostly because Mitchell tries harder and plays on the PK.

If someone was edged out for PAP, I would hope it would be McLeod (he has been next to useless this year after a strong last year for him). But I still think Roy likes what Mitchell brings more and PAP doesn't belong on the 4th line. I think he may have just lost his spot on a fully healthy roster.

Semyon Vezinamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:18 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semyon Vezinamov View Post
Bordy keeps the other teams honest just by being an option on the ice. He is not taking PAP's spot on the ice, though. Honestly, I would say that Mitchell has done that. I think Roy likes Mitchell's versatility and skill-set on the third line more than PAP, mostly because Mitchell tries harder and plays on the PK.

If someone was edged out for PAP, I would hope it would be McLeod (he has been next to useless this year after a strong last year for him). But I still think Roy likes what Mitchell brings more and PAP doesn't belong on the 4th line. I think he may have just lost his spot on a fully healthy roster.
I think there is a very good possibility of this. Mitchell will probably be re-signed soon to a ~3 year deal.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

We don't know what's going on between Roy and Parenteau, but it seems unnecessary to do this. Just play the guy and then if a trade is possible trade him.

By scratching him you mess up the relationship and there isn't really any way back and you have to trade him. Scratch Cliche/Bordeleau/McLeod instead. They all deserve it more.

If a trade isn't imminent, I'm not happy about how this is going down.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
PAP deserves to be scratched if Roy is unhappy with him. Mitchell would be more of use on that 3rd line than the PAP we have seen before and after the injury

This is just my opinion. I think you talk too much about his feelings, when you don't know what's going on. He makes 4M per season and if he's not playing as expected, it's only logical to give him less ice time

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
The Kingslayer

Hate PAP being a scratch...again. Once is enough if he is in the doghouse. PAtty prolly not happy about those 2 penalties against Tampa? Well how about Bords throwing the puck into the stands when we were up a goal last game? Bordeleau is useless. Doesnt fight barely hits anymore yet hes playing and PAP isnt? I love PAtrick but I dont know about this one. Im not in favor of trading PAP unless were getting some D help.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

If we resign Mitchell for 3 years I will cry

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
I would be mad only if Malone doesn't get to play in the bottom 6 next year. Signing Malkin with 1-1.5M is not a risky contract.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Semyon Vezinamov
Wubba lubba dub dub

Quote:
I am not trying to turn this into a Mitchell debate thread (we already have one of those) but I really don't understand how much hate this guy gets on here. He is easily my favorite bottom 6 player not named Nathan MacKinnon. If he had better vision and decision making (which is where I assume the frustration lies) he has the skill-set for a 2nd liner. Because he lacks in these areas, he plays bottom 6 and does quite well there IMO.

Nevertheless, I think Mitchell will get 3-4 years @ $2-$3 mil per season based on Roy's apparent trust and usage.

Semyon Vezinamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
If he plays in fourth line for 3 years, I'm fine with it.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote