HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder injury/pain

Old
01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

vCash: 500
Shoulder injury/pain

Shoulder injury. Two weeks ago I injured my shoulder during a hockey game. Not really sure how, or a specific play. The next few days it hurt to pick anything up or move my shoulder. I just sucked it up and went to work. Two weeks later the pain is minor, but I still feel pain occasionally when I move it or pick something up. I have played three games since then, and it is definitely affecting my shot velocity. When I shoot the puck sometimes I feel a pain that feels like it is from the inside of my shoulder. I am debating on going to the doctor or just taking some time off. Anyone have any insight or similar situations occur?

TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 09:27 AM
American in Paris

Sounds like a separated shoulder. Happened to me once when I got pushed, lost my balance and crashed into the boards with the full force landing directly on my right shoulder.

Had to ask my wife to help me get undressed that night and had to wipe my bum with my left hand for a few days.

The good news is that given time and rest, this type of injury will sort itself out.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Thesensation19*

Not a doctor, nor is it enough info to go. But sounds like a pull somewhere near your shoulder joints.

If its chronic pain, whether or worse or same or dull, just go see a doctor.

In the mean time, or in addition to,
stay away from any heay lifting or shoulder related work outs. Maybe skip a game/day of hockey... I know, I know. Its hard to do that haha. id play anyway.

In terms of recovery...
look into massages, preferably an athletic massage done by a professional. Chiropractor ideally.

Look into Acupuncture.

For exercise, be limited and wary but look into resistance bands and stretches. Be careful.

Look into hydrotherapy. Like in water/pool and once again be wary of your force and your extensions but do some resistance training with water.

Also do a lot of icing and a lot of heating. Preferably 5 minutes cold, 5 minutes hot. 3x a day. Thats 30 minutes in an entire day. You can do at least 2 of them watching a hockey game lol

When you feel better, and your shoulder has less or no pain. Be careful in your return. Start with no weight, and then resistance. Work on the form and movement and mobility of your shoulder before you start weight again or more intense workouts.

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 07:51 AM
shoeshine boy

Dry needling is also an option for you. Google it and watch some Youtube videos on it.
I had a persistant elbow problem last year that was 95% "cured" with a dry needling session with my physical therapist. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Islespuck89

****** I am not a Doctor ******

If you feel pain in the front of the shoulder or in the very back of your shoulder blade could because for alarm. You might get what I call "Fire" It feels like some one starting a fire in your shoulder. I have injured both my shoulders dislocated one 5x tore the labrum and jacked my rotate cuff in the other. Many of my issues would of been avoided if I took care of the issue at hand properly. If you have health insurance I would go to the Doctor, maybe you are fine but for a $30 - 50 copay its worth it to find out your issue.

Not sure of your age if you dislocate your shoulder before your 19-20 there is almost a 70% chance it will happen again. Trust me shoulder issues are no fun, PT does wonders for them.

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:55 PM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
Sounds like a separated shoulder. Happened to me once when I got pushed, lost my balance and crashed into the boards with the full force landing directly on my right shoulder.

Had to ask my wife to help me get undressed that night and had to wipe my bum with my left hand for a few days.

The good news is that given time and rest, this type of injury will sort itself out.
I don't think it's a separation. If it was, shooting the puck would cause excrutiating pain. Been there, done that.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote