HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Went to Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2005, 01:58 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Went to Chicago

I went to Chicago this week...It was nice. Restaurants (Chipotle), Chisox game, Museums etc. Two problems though. There is no hockey. I mean there was 1 store with Hawks stuff while every other had none but tons of football and baseball merch. ESPN is aweful. No hockey news what so ever. And the other bad thing was I stayed in southside in a ramada hotel. Southside is scary. When we were being brought back to the hotel in a cab the taxi drivers like noone of ever goes to southside as were driving through a neighbourhood with smashed windows. Overall a good trip. Giordano's is a sick restaurant. I got to see my jays win. It's a nice city cept parts of southside mainly where I stayed.

Old
08-06-2005, 03:27 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
What part of the city? Address/Town?

Old
08-06-2005, 08:01 AM
GaryU

Rancid, I grew up on the South side (Mom still lives there). There are portions of it that you should avoid. Need to be careful south or east of The Cell.
Guess you found that out.

Old
08-06-2005, 08:57 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
What part of the city? Address/Town?
We were right in Chicago...at the Ramada off Lakeshore...right in southside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU
Rancid, I grew up on the South side (Mom still lives there). There are portions of it that you should avoid. Need to be careful south or east of The Cell.
Guess you found that out.
Yeah, someparts seemed fine. Little Italy looked OK, China town seemed fine. 47th street on our way from the chisox game looked aweful.

Old
08-06-2005, 11:13 AM
GaryU

Grew up 3 miles west, just off 47th.

Old
08-06-2005, 02:16 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU
Grew up 3 miles west, just off 47th.
Has it changed since you grew up? I also noticed huge racial divisions (you know what I mean) between North and South Chicago. In Toronto there is not nearly that much of a racial seperation. I could literally see that division as I was traveling south on the subway. As I travelled more toward Cellular field it slowly changed until it was almost completely one race.

Old
08-06-2005, 06:10 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The southside of Chicago isn't entirely black. The area around Mount Greenwood etc. is predominantly white.

Old
08-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Teemu

All of the races in Chicago (as in any big city) congregate in different areas. If you know where to go, you can basically visit all of the cultures of the world without leaving the city

Old
08-06-2005, 09:38 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu
All of the races in Chicago (as in any big city) congregate in different areas. If you know where to go, you can basically visit all of the cultures of the world without leaving the city
definately. But I did notice that Chicago was an extreme case. It seemed that the split was especially noticable. Almost like 50% on one side, and 50% on the other. I notice in other cities (Toronto) the split is more ethnic...Little Italy, Chinatown, Little Jamaica, Korea Town, little Portugal and the rest is pretty spred out. Chicago I noticed was divided from chinatown southword. Its just an observation.

Old
08-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
definately. But I did notice that Chicago was an extreme case. It seemed that the split was especially noticable. Almost like 50% on one side, and 50% on the other. I notice in other cities (Toronto) the split is more ethnic...Little Italy, Chinatown, Little Jamaica, Korea Town, little Portugal and the rest is pretty spred out. Chicago I noticed was divided from chinatown southword. Its just an observation.
Hmm there is a noticable difference in areas in Chicago, everytime I drive home through the city just looking at who is waiting to get on the train will tell you the story. I really got a kick of how it went from Little India to the Russian village in one block on Devon St/Ave?

Closed Thread