HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

One skate constantly wobbling

Old
01-29-2014, 08:04 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 578
One skate constantly wobbling

I first learned to skate about 5 years ago. The problem is I didn't really practice very much after that. Recently my buddies and I have been hitting the pond for some shinny. I'm still very much a beginner.

My problem is that one, and only one, of my skates doesn't give me very much ankle support. I have to constantly retie it and even then it doesn't take long for it to start wobbling again. To best describe it: The right skate seems unstable. My ankle seems to be able to fall too far inward. As you can imagine this makes it hard for me to pivot and rely heavily on my right foot. In turn this makes my skating quite limited when trying to hustle.

In contrast the left skate gives me no issues. It pretty much stays tight for the duration of the session. If I'm out there for 4 hours I'll have to retie it maybe once or twice.

So what is the cause of the problem? At first I chalked it up to ankle strength (or lack thereof). I fell a lot the first time we played. I changed up my lacing style this time and it helped, but around the 3rd hour the skate just seemed to sort of cave in and I was out of stamina in my ankles to compensate for it. My skates are Nike Bauer Ignite 44. I can't find any information on them, it seems they have been discontinued. They were maybe $110 at the time of purchase. They were barely used and have been sitting in a storage locker for the last couple years. I've used combinations of knotted lacing and floating knots. These have helped but the problem still persists. I'm certain the skate was tight enough because my right foot fell asleep and I had an indentation across my right ankle. My left ankle with the much better fitting skate had no indentation and the foot never fell asleep. Should I just continue to play through it or consider new skates?

EmergencyExit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 08:25 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Compare the two boots from the rear-view and see if the holders are aligned straight.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 12:47 AM
MattGTI

I recently had a very similar problem.
My left foot would get the wobbles when I was gliding, and not using it to push.

My skates looked ok, everything looked in alignment.
I thought it might be because it was on my "weak" side,
and I just needed to get better and practice(which is probably still the case somewhat).

However, tonight I swapped out the regular Reebok foot bed,
with a set of Superfeet insoles. I did nothing different otherwise- no sharpening, no lacing differently,
nothing.

The wobbles are completely gone. I mean zero trace, and I actually feel far more confident than ever before. Pretty amazing how much they changed things.

Don't know if it will work for you, and I would obviously inspect your skates first, bit I can say without a doubt- the insoles made my left skate wobble issue- completely disappear.

Good luck. Hope you find a solution as well.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AIREAYE

I had the rare case of the wobbles. Superfeet definitely helped, it's a stabilizer.

Old
01-30-2014, 09:54 AM
AntsSheffield

I used to get a bit of a wobble on my entry level CCMs (ie, a bit flimsy) when I tied one of em a bit tight or unevenly.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:00 PM
EmergencyExit

Hey guys thanks for your suggestions. I am definitely considering getting the Superfeet insoles. I see that Sportchek carries them so I think I'll pick some up.

I also took a picture of the rear view of the skates. Perhaps it's the power of suggestion, but since you mentioned it AIREAYE I think the right one looks off.

http://imgur.com/IC1iS5l
I don't know if it's just me. But if it is indeed misaligned, what can I do about it? Skate shop?

Last edited by EmergencyExit: 01-30-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old
01-30-2014, 07:41 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah, that looks like the culprit. Superfeet likely won't help if the weight that you're putting on your edges are off-centre.

Skate shop likely cannot re-align since the holes needed for proper positioning are almost right on top of the existing holes.

New skates are probably your most effective option. Anything like this on a new pair is a warranty issue. I see stuff like this on occasion and can recall several instances of it happening, more so on lower end skates.

Old
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
EmergencyExit

Bummer. Well thanks a lot for the help. I was reading the skate guide and I'm thinking the last thing I want is a repeat of this occurrence. I might pony up some extra cash for skates that are a tier above entry level.

I want to keep skating and playing as often as I can so I figure the investment will be worth it in the long run. No way to know without trying them on but the Bauer X60s and Reebok 12K look nice to me. Thanks again, this sub is really helpful

Old
01-30-2014, 09:55 PM
AIREAYE

To prevent this from happening is pretty simple. Just look at the skates to see if they are aligned properly. A degree or mm off isn't a big deal, but what you have is.

Old
01-31-2014, 12:12 AM
EmergencyExit

Haha I was thinking more in terms of long term durability but you're right. This shouldn't have happened to begin with. Wish I had been more cautious when picking these out way back.

Old
02-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Mattb124

Based on a couple of issues I had with skates, I will take a straight edge with me to buy my new pair in order to make sure the holders are straight. On my first pair of skates, the front and back of one of the holders was misaligned to the point it was almost impossible to get the steels out and it ended up snapping the steel due to side pressure. It was difficult to skate well with that, and it was very hard to sharpen/would not hold an edge.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 04:34 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I've had this problem before with pretty much any skate I've used. My issue is that my left foot is slightly larger than my right foot (not by much, but enough to be "loose" inside an otherwise fitting skate). Wondering if these inserts might help as well now though.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote