HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Old
03-13-2014, 03:14 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
It's been hinted before but that's good to hear. Will be very very interesting to see what he can do next season. I've seen him a few times this year in the KHL and his style of play seems an even better fit on the smaller ice. He's a beast of a teenager, very strong, at times he looks like the center version of Chara out there. He's still a bit clumsy and awkward, hasn't really grown into his body yet and though his skating isn't as bad as some sources have said he needs to improve his footspeed to keep up in the NHL. But strong on the puck, can power through people, pretty smart, ok hands and strong on the dot(when given the chance, he's played wing this season).
A couple of seasons in the AHL and we could have an absolutely massive center on our hands. Probably a 3rd C kind of guy but could have even more upside once he grows into his body. He is the kind of player you risk trading away a bit to early because he might take some time before reaching his full potential, it takes time building enough muscle to control that big body, but if you're patient you might hit the jackpot.
His top and maintained speed is actually ready for NHL speed, but his first few steps are just horrendous. We had the same problem with Lander, but whatever skating program we put him on helped his skating ten fold.

His ability to maintain the puck on the boards seemed to be his biggest asset so far, and he's very creative when his head is up and he's looking for inside passes. Very similar to Jujhar IMO in that sense. (This is from my viewing at the WJC.)

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:52 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Nice to hear.

Still wondering about Slepy.
Slepy I believe has 1 year left on his contract and plans on honoring it.

BleedingOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Mctopchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Not that these awards could possibly be a bad thing, but historically are they any indicator of NHL success?
Not really. Not even the Hobey Baker is a good indicator. Its defiantly encouraging. Simpson is still very young (only couple months older than Yakupov)

I think the more encouraging things are his scouting reports, which are typically very good

Laleggia is up for both awards, however I doubt hell be more than an AHL middle pairing guy. His scouting reports arent as good.

I don't even know if Laleggia will sign next season

Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:18 PM
McRobbiezyg

We gotta trade some of these left handed D prospects for right handed ones.. no depth whatsoever

McRobbiezyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
We gotta trade some of these left handed D prospects for right handed ones.. no depth whatsoever
Not sure we have to. I think one pairing could have 2 lefties. If Nurse and Klefbom/Free Agent/Trade aqcquisition/Marincin/Ekblad can develop into a viable top pairing wed have Petry on the 2nd pairing, and Schultz on the 3rd pairing. They would be paired with whichever left handed D prospects make it

Edit: Ekblad is a rightie

Last edited by Mctopchowda: 03-13-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Mctopchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:30 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Well, what right-handed D-prospects would you target?

edit: yeah, I saw that Eklad and Kenny Morrison were both right-handed.

Also noticed that Reinhart is a righty.

He's not a defender, but right-handed centers have value too

Last edited by AlowlyMcOilersfan: 03-13-2014 at 04:52 PM.
AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:45 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Pysyk could be plucked from Buffalo. Also EKBLAD!!!!

But I agree we don't need to move them. Let them develop then make a deal it's pointless now.

McMozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Quote:

edit: yeah, I saw that Eklad and Kenny Morrison were both right-handed.

Also noticed that Bennett is a righty.

He's not a defender, but right-handed centers have value too
Nope he's a lefty, Reinhart's a righty though.

Old
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Nope he's a lefty, Reinhart's a righty though.
damn, my bad.

What about Ryan Ellis?

Forget prospect, he's ready to go now.

Old
03-13-2014, 04:58 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Quote:
damn, my bad.

What about Ryan Ellis?

Forget prospect, he's ready to go now.
Ellis is a righty and is probably available but his game is not what we need IMO.

We should target Pysyk, Oilers love former Oil Kings.

Pysyk is so damn steady I think he will be a star.

Old
03-13-2014, 05:09 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Kenney Morrison's season ends this weekend, I'm pretty sure, so I guess we'll see if he ends up signing here.

Kellen Jones and Dillon Simpson's teams are going to the NCAA tournament, so they won't be done for a bit longer.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 05:11 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Ellis is a righty and is probably available but his game is not what we need IMO.

We should target Pysyk, Oilers love former Oil Kings.

Pysyk is so damn steady I think he will be a star.
We need help on the PP.

Ellis can provide that.

Old
03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Quote:
We need help on the PP.

Ellis can provide that.
We need help on the PP, yes. But I don't think Ellis brings anything Schultz doesn't.

Old
03-13-2014, 05:47 PM
RebuildTheRebuild

vCash: 200
HF released an article on the top 7 winger prospects in the KHL. Both Slepyshev and Zharkov were included ranking at 2nd and 6th respectively.

Here is the write up on Slepyshev:

Quote:
Anton Slepyshev, Salavat Yulaev Ufa
Drafted in the third round, 88th overall, in 2013 by the Edmonton Oilers

This has not been the best season for Slepyshev as he scored less goals than last season, yet he remains a solid prospect with an interesting ceiling for the future, as he showed at the 2014 WJC. Gifted with a good shot, decent skating ability and the capability to play a gritty style, Slepyshev is an intriguing prospect even from a North American point of view. His KHL deal with Salavat Yulaev Ufa will run out in 2015. The most likely scenario for the Penza, Russia, native will be yet another season in Ufa playing for a very good KHL team that is playoff-bound each season. His role within the team should increase next season as he showed some good progress this year, mainly on the mental side of the game.
Zharkov:

Quote:
Daniil Zharkov, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod
Drafted in the third round, 91st overall, in 2012 by the Edmonton Oilers

Much like Kosov, Zharkov is a player from whom more could be expected, especially on the offensive side since he scored a lot of goals in the OHL. He scored only two goals and four points in 49 games this season and saw limited action with a very competitive Torpedo team. Zharkov also spent some time this season in the VHL with Torpedo’s affiliate, HK Sarov, without impressing too much. Zharkov displayed good physical ability, but did not showcase much of his offensive potential. Zharkov is under contract with Torpedo for another season.

RebuildTheRebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:05 AM
Zaddy Zads
Deutschland Dangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@AOsadchenko: Neftekhimik's GM Rafik Yakubov confirmed Bogdan Yakimov plans on joining the #Oilers next season. #KHL #NHL #Oilers #Yak2
It's funny cause they're from the same town and youth team as well. Wonder if they played together before Yak went over to NA. Will be nice though, Yak-Yak might be a solid duo in the future. A big playmaking centre who's strong on the puck together with a good finisher. Maybe Slepyshev can compliment that line with his size and speed too.

Ship out Eberle and Gagner and have Slepy-Yakimov-Yakupov as our 2nd line in the 2015-2016 season

Okay, I'm getting a little ahead of myself here...

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:25 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Jujhar Khaira and Ben Betker will be playing on TV tonight at 8:00 on SHAW.

It's a rare chance to see these two as they have only passed through Edmonton once, and being an American team are rarely featured on Sportsnet or SHAW.

I will do a wright-up on both post game.

* Also if you prefer to watch Jackson Houck he will be playing on Sportsnet at 8:00.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Khaira looks good.. seems like a really smart player.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:16 PM
40oz

Two shifts in a row Everett made the Victoria D look foolish (Khaira in on the 2nd goal).

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:33 AM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Khaira and Betker reviews:

Let me start off by saying The Everett Silvertips are going to make some noise in the playoffs this year. They play such a structured, smart system, are always defensively responsible and capitalize on every mistake. They give up nothing. What a great place for Khaira and Betker to learn the game.

Khaira was centring the Tips top line tonight and has been for the last couple of weeks (10 PTS in his last 10 games). The first thing I noticed is just how damn big he is, and not just tall the kid is thick. He was a beast down low and in front of the net all game even the Shaw broadcast team was raving about his physical dominance. He picked up only one assist on Everett's 5th goal (A pretty passing play finished off by Ivan Nikolishin) but was instrumental on the first two goals, one on the PP, providing a perfect screen on both. Khaira is great on the PP for that, he wins the face off the goes to the front of the net and battles. He brings good vision and passing ability, but his shot and finishing ability need work. The majority of his points come from hard work and battles. The biggest concern with Khaira has always been his skating and tonight was no different. He is a lumbering skater who's first few strides are quite slow. Where he makes up for his skating is with his intelligence in both zones, the guy is never out of position, always makes a smart play and when he doesn't he does all he can to correct his mistake. By my eye Khaira made one mistake that led to a chance for The Roylas. In the face off department Khaira was good, the WHL doesn't track FO numbers but I don't think Khaira lost to many. We got to see some toughness from Khaira early in the game when he got in a fight with a tough customer in Victorias Jordan Fransoo, despite not being a very good fighter it's good to know he's willing to stand up for himself. What I took away from this game and my other viewings of Khaira is that he is physically dominant and has enough skill to compliment his size. He is big by NHL standards and is still growing. He is definitely a prospect with much promise.

Betker had a decent showing tonight. He was sloppy in his own zone at times, but brought an excellent physical game. He was nightmare for the opposition in the corners constantly punishing them when trying to cycle, but i found that led to most of his mistakes as he would go out of his way to be physical and it would put him out of position. He is a much better skater than I remembered but still lacks mobility and the speedier player in the pros will victimize him if he does not get better. His size was very noticeable and you can tell he is going to be huge. Defencmen are tough to judge but I like what Betker brings to the table. He will need plenty of work going forward but he could be a project that pays off in the end.

Old
03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Marco Roy with 4 points in the first period alone... Very nice.

Old
03-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Chase finishes off regular season with 4 pt night Moroz with his 35th

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:19 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Dillon Simpson's team lost in OT today. They have a tiebreaker tomorrow to decide who moves on the the final four in the NCHC.

It'll make it interesting if they win.

North Dakota(Simpson), Denver(Laleggia) and Western Michigan(Kenney Morrison) would be three of the teams along with Miami of Ohio.

Cornell(McCarron) and UMass-Lowell)Campbell also have separate tiebreakers tomorrow.

Quinnipicac(Jones) beat Yale to move on.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:22 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Jackson Houck with 2 goals 1 assist tonight, finishes the year with 34 goals 27 assists for 61 in 69 games, finished really strong with 19 points (7g 12a) and +5 in his last 12 games to finish off the regular season.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:23 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Dillon Simpson's team lost in OT today. They have a tiebreaker tomorrow to decide who moves on the the final four in the NCHC.

It'll make it interesting if they win.

North Dakota(Simpson), Denver(Laleggia) and Western Michigan(Kenney Morrison) would be three of the teams along with Miami of Ohio.

Cornell(McCarron) and UMass-Lowell)Campbell also have separate tiebreakers tomorrow.

Quinnipicac(Jones) beat Yale to move on.
We should only sign the winners.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:39 PM
McGlassbangers
#SignLéveillé

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Chase finishes off regular season with 4 pt night Moroz with his 35th
His final stats:

70gp 35+50=85 +29 83PIM

Really wondering why he fell to 7th round. Corey Pronman said that he had Chase going 100 picks before we drafted him. Not going to complain though.

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote