HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2014, 11:00 AM
  #451
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,386
vCash: 1115
I just don't see the point of trading your best LHD prospect after Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin to make room for lesser LHD prospects.

I move Gernat, Hunt or Davidson 10 out of 10 times before I move Simpson even if the return is near nil.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
  #452
canovin
Oil Dynasty
 
canovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 2,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
The thing is, Nurse, Marincin, and Klefbom will all likely have a higher impact in the NHL than Simpson, so unless another team wants to take Musil or Davidson or something...
What's wrong with Simpson as a #7D? Besides Klefbom has been known to play on the right with Brodin and he has a KlefBOM of a shot.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
  #453
misfit
5-14-6-1
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...ever
Posts: 15,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I just don't see the point of trading your best LHD prospect after Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin to make room for lesser LHD prospects.

I move Gernat, Hunt or Davidson 10 out of 10 times before I move Simpson even if the return is near nil.
I don't think you're making a move to make room for other prospects. You're making a move to address other needs with the prospects that are most likely to get you the best return.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
  #454
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,386
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't think you're making a move to make room for other prospects. You're making a move to address other needs with the prospects that are most likely to get you the best return.
Is center prospect depth in such a need that you trade a prospect you've put 4 years of development into(where they became one of the best defensemen in the NCAA) before they even play a single pro game?

I don't know how the answer can be yes. Especially with Khaira and Yakimov going to OKC next season. Chase the year after.

I'd bet on any of those guys being NHLers far before the likes of Gernat, Musil, Hunt and Davidson.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:51 AM
  #455
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,256
vCash: 500
Dillon Simpson just thanked his college for the 4 years he had there. Has he signed with the Oilers yet?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 12:27 PM
  #456
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 54,212
vCash: 500
I'd give Simpson a shot at the AHL level before dealing him assuming that we sign him. See what he's got at the pro level and if he's good enough we could deal a guy like Marincin or move Klefbom to RD. I wouldn't give up on him before really seeing what he's got unless another GM came calling with something that we desperately needed and he was more than a throw-in.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 03:56 PM
  #457
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,753
vCash: 500
I wouldn't move him unless we are getting a potential #2 C back (either in CHL, NCAA, or AHL). He has developed into one of the best NCAA D this year, and was one of the youngest captains ever.

Not sure if last game was a really good game from him, or if that's how he always play. But I saw a work house out there, that IMO, looked close to NHL ready. Maybe a half season in AHL. Kid is going to be good

This guy is going to replace Smid seamlessly as a shutdown warrior who blocks any shot. Also has the potential to contribute offensively more than Smid

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:54 PM
  #458
Rockomax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Hey guys, Habs fan here. I'm just stopping by because I realized that your prospect Marc-Olivier Roy was my best friend's neighbor (still is). At the time, on that street, there were about 10 hockey players, so I would go there every day and we would play street hockey. It's funny because Marco was a couple years younger than all of us though he was by far the most talented, and most of us played high levels. It's been years since I saw him, but I can tell you that the kid has some sense into him and has a head on his shoulders. I remember going to see him play when he was very young, that year he had an insane ppg average of about 10 ppg. You could really tell that he was special.

Anyways, I wish him the best of luck in the Oilers organization. Edm is now my 2nd favorite team . I'm sure that he'll make it! You can see it in his eyes that he wants it too, just like 10 years ago.

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:54 PM
  #459
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,115
vCash: 500
I hope Roy does make it same with Moroz Chase Khaira

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
  #460
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 13,391
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomax View Post
Hey guys, Habs fan here. I'm just stopping by because I realized that your prospect Marc-Olivier Roy was my best friend's neighbor (still is). At the time, on that street, there were about 10 hockey players, so I would go there every day and we would play street hockey. It's funny because Marco was a couple years younger than all of us though he was by far the most talented, and most of us played high levels. It's been years since I saw him, but I can tell you that the kid has some sense into him and has a head on his shoulders. I remember going to see him play when he was very young, that year he had an insane ppg average of about 10 ppg. You could really tell that he was special.

Anyways, I wish him the best of luck in the Oilers organization. Edm is now my 2nd favorite team . I'm sure that he'll make it! You can see it in his eyes that he wants it too, just like 10 years ago.
You're making a huge mistake. Run away now, before it's too late!

All you're going to get from Edmonton is pain, stress and heartache. Even if they're just your 2nd favourite team, they'll still manage to piss you off.

RUN.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:49 PM
  #461
misfit
5-14-6-1
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...ever
Posts: 15,848
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Is center prospect depth in such a need that you trade a prospect you've put 4 years of development into(where they became one of the best defensemen in the NCAA) before they even play a single pro game?

I don't know how the answer can be yes. Especially with Khaira and Yakimov going to OKC next season. Chase the year after.

I'd bet on any of those guys being NHLers far before the likes of Gernat, Musil, Hunt and Davidson.
I didn't realize you were responding to a post where that was suggested. Any trade would depend on the return, but I definitely think that our prospect depth at LD is probably the best place to trade from to address any areas of need.

But in regard to the rest of your post, I'm far more confident in one of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson, and Musil, even with one removed via trade, than the center depth of Khaira, Chase, and Yakimov. The 3 centers all seem like bigger longshots than the D we have in the system. So adding another C prospect who has a shot at making the NHL might be a good idea. Especially since Chase could very well end up a winger (Khaira too).

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 04:02 PM
  #462
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,386
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I didn't realize you were responding to a post where that was suggested. Any trade would depend on the return, but I definitely think that our prospect depth at LD is probably the best place to trade from to address any areas of need.

But in regard to the rest of your post, I'm far more confident in one of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson, and Musil, even with one removed via trade, than the center depth of Khaira, Chase, and Yakimov. The 3 centers all seem like bigger longshots than the D we have in the system. So adding another C prospect who has a shot at making the NHL might be a good idea. Especially since Chase could very well end up a winger (Khaira too).
Marincin and Klefbom are NHLers at this point.


LHD: Klefbom, Marincin, Ference, Nurse, Gernat, Hunt, Musil, Davdison.

vs.

C: RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Lander, Bennett/Draisaitl(more than likely), Yakimov, Khaira, Chase


I see more depth at C, personally. There's a whole lot of nothing after Nurse without Simpson.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
  #463
Backhand
Registered User
 
Backhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hockey Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
I've been looking around and do the oilers have any other RHD in their prospect pool besides Fedun? ANYONE? There is a lot of LHD and 1 RHD

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:39 PM
  #464
RebuildTheRebuild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 503
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand View Post
I've been looking around and do the oilers have any other RHD in their prospect pool besides Fedun? ANYONE? There is a lot of LHD and 1 RHD
Fedun is our only RHD prospect in our system. We have no one else

RebuildTheRebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
  #465
ohheyhemsky
Registered User
 
ohheyhemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Den
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 13,391
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrenR View Post
Fedun is our only RHD prospect in our system. We have no one else
And yet we still treat him like water trash.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:55 PM
  #466
trilogytime
Registered User
 
trilogytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
And yet we still treat him like water trash.
Which really bothers me, especially considering his play. I thought he was great for OKC today, great mobility and offensive instincts. Seems more deserving of another shot than most, plus he buried twice in what, 3 games?

"BUT WE HAVE J SCHULTZ!!!)(!@#@!" yeah yeah I know whatever.

trilogytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:58 AM
  #467
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrenR View Post
Fedun is our only RHD prospect in our system. We have no one else
Would not be surprised if we used 4 of our 6 picks in this draft on RD... it is definitely an area of need...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:04 AM
  #468
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Would not be surprised if we used 4 of our 6 picks in this draft on RD... it is definitely an area of need...
I hope we use 3 picks on centers, 1 on a boom/bust homerun pick, and the rest on right handed D

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:02 AM
  #469
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
And yet we still treat him like water trash.
Well at 24/25 he's not really a prospect anymore IMO. I have nothing against Fedun and appreciate what he's been through, I just don't know if he's an NHL player, likely not.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:40 AM
  #470
glassbangers
5-14-6-1
 
glassbangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: McFinland
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I hope we use 3 picks on centers, 1 on a boom/bust homerun pick, and the rest on right handed D
IMO we shouldn't just concentrate on specific positions, if there is a good goalie prospect available, draft him, it fits a need. If there is a good center prospect available, draft him, it fits a need etc. We should only stay away from LHD's, unless he's clearly better than other available prospects.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:02 AM
  #471
robbiezyg
Registered User
 
robbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
IMO we shouldn't just concentrate on specific positions, if there is a good goalie prospect available, draft him, it fits a need. If there is a good center prospect available, draft him, it fits a need etc. We should only stay away from LHD's, unless he's clearly better than other available prospects.
agreed, I laugh at people in fantasy drafts that draft certain positions in certain rounds. you gotta go bpa (moreso in a fantasy league). As an NHL GM I imagine its a little different but if theres a giant run on goalies before your pick, take the players that have been passed over and dont add to the run!

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
  #472
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
IMO we shouldn't just concentrate on specific positions, if there is a good goalie prospect available, draft him, it fits a need. If there is a good center prospect available, draft him, it fits a need etc. We should only stay away from LHD's, unless he's clearly better than other available prospects.
I agree with taking BPA to a point. But in the later rounds, the draft is a complete crap shoot anyway.

Here are two great articles detailing the draft in the later rounds:
http://www.coppernblue.com/2014/4/8/...mber-crunching

http://blackgoldhockey.com/the-entry...ond-half-luck/

(this one is particularly good)

Its really hard to determine BPA in the 3rd rounds on because there are so many variables (if they are peaking/emerging/declining, how many times you've seen them etc).

So if there is two players (neither one is clearly above the other), and one is a pure offensive, 5'10 scoring winger, and one is a 6'1 two way center with good scoring, I will take the center because both have an similar shot at working out, and if they do work out, they will be more valuable.

I would love to get more Marco Roys, Yakimovs, Khairas or Chases this draft.

Just no more coke machines

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
  #473
N5991989
Oilers Fan
 
N5991989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 788
Michael Parkatti hinted that he developed a system for draft picks for the Oilers. I am assuming that is how we ended up with Chase. So I am guess later rounds will use his system to help with picks.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
  #474
Backhand
Registered User
 
Backhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hockey Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N5991989 View Post
Michael Parkatti hinted that he developed a system for draft picks for the Oilers. I am assuming that is how we ended up with Chase. So I am guess later rounds will use his system to help with picks.
I thought the system was more about the value of draft picks not necessarily how to pick the player. Similar to how Edmonton traded 37 and turned it into a bunch of later round picks. Parkatti's system will likely say the Oilers got a higher value for the one pick.

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  #475
stoff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand View Post
I thought the system was more about the value of draft picks not necessarily how to pick the player. Similar to how Edmonton traded 37 and turned it into a bunch of later round picks. Parkatti's system will likely say the Oilers got a higher value for the one pick.
This is what I thought too.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.