HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Old
04-11-2014, 11:00 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
I just don't see the point of trading your best LHD prospect after Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin to make room for lesser LHD prospects.

I move Gernat, Hunt or Davidson 10 out of 10 times before I move Simpson even if the return is near nil.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
canovin
Oil Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
The thing is, Nurse, Marincin, and Klefbom will all likely have a higher impact in the NHL than Simpson, so unless another team wants to take Musil or Davidson or something...
What's wrong with Simpson as a #7D? Besides Klefbom has been known to play on the right with Brodin and he has a KlefBOM of a shot.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I just don't see the point of trading your best LHD prospect after Nurse/Klefbom/Marincin to make room for lesser LHD prospects.

I move Gernat, Hunt or Davidson 10 out of 10 times before I move Simpson even if the return is near nil.
I don't think you're making a move to make room for other prospects. You're making a move to address other needs with the prospects that are most likely to get you the best return.

04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't think you're making a move to make room for other prospects. You're making a move to address other needs with the prospects that are most likely to get you the best return.
Is center prospect depth in such a need that you trade a prospect you've put 4 years of development into(where they became one of the best defensemen in the NCAA) before they even play a single pro game?

I don't know how the answer can be yes. Especially with Khaira and Yakimov going to OKC next season. Chase the year after.

I'd bet on any of those guys being NHLers far before the likes of Gernat, Musil, Hunt and Davidson.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Mr Sakich

Dillon Simpson just thanked his college for the 4 years he had there. Has he signed with the Oilers yet?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Bryanbryoil

I'd give Simpson a shot at the AHL level before dealing him assuming that we sign him. See what he's got at the pro level and if he's good enough we could deal a guy like Marincin or move Klefbom to RD. I wouldn't give up on him before really seeing what he's got unless another GM came calling with something that we desperately needed and he was more than a throw-in.

04-11-2014, 03:56 PM
topchowda

I wouldn't move him unless we are getting a potential #2 C back (either in CHL, NCAA, or AHL). He has developed into one of the best NCAA D this year, and was one of the youngest captains ever.

Not sure if last game was a really good game from him, or if that's how he always play. But I saw a work house out there, that IMO, looked close to NHL ready. Maybe a half season in AHL. Kid is going to be good

This guy is going to replace Smid seamlessly as a shutdown warrior who blocks any shot. Also has the potential to contribute offensively more than Smid

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Rockomax

Hey guys, Habs fan here. I'm just stopping by because I realized that your prospect Marc-Olivier Roy was my best friend's neighbor (still is). At the time, on that street, there were about 10 hockey players, so I would go there every day and we would play street hockey. It's funny because Marco was a couple years younger than all of us though he was by far the most talented, and most of us played high levels. It's been years since I saw him, but I can tell you that the kid has some sense into him and has a head on his shoulders. I remember going to see him play when he was very young, that year he had an insane ppg average of about 10 ppg. You could really tell that he was special.

Anyways, I wish him the best of luck in the Oilers organization. Edm is now my 2nd favorite team . I'm sure that he'll make it! You can see it in his eyes that he wants it too, just like 10 years ago.

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:54 PM
rockinghockey

I hope Roy does make it same with Moroz Chase Khaira

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomax View Post
Hey guys, Habs fan here. I'm just stopping by because I realized that your prospect Marc-Olivier Roy was my best friend's neighbor (still is). At the time, on that street, there were about 10 hockey players, so I would go there every day and we would play street hockey. It's funny because Marco was a couple years younger than all of us though he was by far the most talented, and most of us played high levels. It's been years since I saw him, but I can tell you that the kid has some sense into him and has a head on his shoulders. I remember going to see him play when he was very young, that year he had an insane ppg average of about 10 ppg. You could really tell that he was special.

Anyways, I wish him the best of luck in the Oilers organization. Edm is now my 2nd favorite team . I'm sure that he'll make it! You can see it in his eyes that he wants it too, just like 10 years ago.
You're making a huge mistake. Run away now, before it's too late!

All you're going to get from Edmonton is pain, stress and heartache. Even if they're just your 2nd favourite team, they'll still manage to piss you off.

RUN.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:49 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Is center prospect depth in such a need that you trade a prospect you've put 4 years of development into(where they became one of the best defensemen in the NCAA) before they even play a single pro game?

I don't know how the answer can be yes. Especially with Khaira and Yakimov going to OKC next season. Chase the year after.

I'd bet on any of those guys being NHLers far before the likes of Gernat, Musil, Hunt and Davidson.
I didn't realize you were responding to a post where that was suggested. Any trade would depend on the return, but I definitely think that our prospect depth at LD is probably the best place to trade from to address any areas of need.

But in regard to the rest of your post, I'm far more confident in one of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson, and Musil, even with one removed via trade, than the center depth of Khaira, Chase, and Yakimov. The 3 centers all seem like bigger longshots than the D we have in the system. So adding another C prospect who has a shot at making the NHL might be a good idea. Especially since Chase could very well end up a winger (Khaira too).

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 04:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I didn't realize you were responding to a post where that was suggested. Any trade would depend on the return, but I definitely think that our prospect depth at LD is probably the best place to trade from to address any areas of need.

But in regard to the rest of your post, I'm far more confident in one of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Simpson, and Musil, even with one removed via trade, than the center depth of Khaira, Chase, and Yakimov. The 3 centers all seem like bigger longshots than the D we have in the system. So adding another C prospect who has a shot at making the NHL might be a good idea. Especially since Chase could very well end up a winger (Khaira too).
Marincin and Klefbom are NHLers at this point.

LHD: Klefbom, Marincin, Ference, Nurse, Gernat, Hunt, Musil, Davdison.

vs.

C: RNH, Gagner, Gordon, Lander, Bennett/Draisaitl(more than likely), Yakimov, Khaira, Chase

I see more depth at C, personally. There's a whole lot of nothing after Nurse without Simpson.

Old
04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Backhand

I've been looking around and do the oilers have any other RHD in their prospect pool besides Fedun? ANYONE? There is a lot of LHD and 1 RHD

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:39 PM
RebuildTheRebuild

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand View Post
I've been looking around and do the oilers have any other RHD in their prospect pool besides Fedun? ANYONE? There is a lot of LHD and 1 RHD
Fedun is our only RHD prospect in our system. We have no one else

RebuildTheRebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:17 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrenR View Post
And yet we still treat him like water trash.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:55 PM
trilogytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Which really bothers me, especially considering his play. I thought he was great for OKC today, great mobility and offensive instincts. Seems more deserving of another shot than most, plus he buried twice in what, 3 games?

"BUT WE HAVE J SCHULTZ!!!)(!@#@!" yeah yeah I know whatever.

trilogytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:58 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrenR View Post
Would not be surprised if we used 4 of our 6 picks in this draft on RD... it is definitely an area of need...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:04 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Would not be surprised if we used 4 of our 6 picks in this draft on RD... it is definitely an area of need...
I hope we use 3 picks on centers, 1 on a boom/bust homerun pick, and the rest on right handed D

Old
04-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Well at 24/25 he's not really a prospect anymore IMO. I have nothing against Fedun and appreciate what he's been through, I just don't know if he's an NHL player, likely not.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:40 AM
glassbangers
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I hope we use 3 picks on centers, 1 on a boom/bust homerun pick, and the rest on right handed D
IMO we shouldn't just concentrate on specific positions, if there is a good goalie prospect available, draft him, it fits a need. If there is a good center prospect available, draft him, it fits a need etc. We should only stay away from LHD's, unless he's clearly better than other available prospects.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:02 AM
robbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
IMO we shouldn't just concentrate on specific positions, if there is a good goalie prospect available, draft him, it fits a need. If there is a good center prospect available, draft him, it fits a need etc. We should only stay away from LHD's, unless he's clearly better than other available prospects.
agreed, I laugh at people in fantasy drafts that draft certain positions in certain rounds. you gotta go bpa (moreso in a fantasy league). As an NHL GM I imagine its a little different but if theres a giant run on goalies before your pick, take the players that have been passed over and dont add to the run!

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:51 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
I agree with taking BPA to a point. But in the later rounds, the draft is a complete crap shoot anyway.

Here are two great articles detailing the draft in the later rounds:
http://www.coppernblue.com/2014/4/8/...mber-crunching

http://blackgoldhockey.com/the-entry...ond-half-luck/

(this one is particularly good)

Its really hard to determine BPA in the 3rd rounds on because there are so many variables (if they are peaking/emerging/declining, how many times you've seen them etc).

So if there is two players (neither one is clearly above the other), and one is a pure offensive, 5'10 scoring winger, and one is a 6'1 two way center with good scoring, I will take the center because both have an similar shot at working out, and if they do work out, they will be more valuable.

I would love to get more Marco Roys, Yakimovs, Khairas or Chases this draft.

Just no more coke machines

Old
04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Michael Parkatti hinted that he developed a system for draft picks for the Oilers. I am assuming that is how we ended up with Chase. So I am guess later rounds will use his system to help with picks.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Backhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5991989 View Post
Michael Parkatti hinted that he developed a system for draft picks for the Oilers. I am assuming that is how we ended up with Chase. So I am guess later rounds will use his system to help with picks.
I thought the system was more about the value of draft picks not necessarily how to pick the player. Similar to how Edmonton traded 37 and turned it into a bunch of later round picks. Parkatti's system will likely say the Oilers got a higher value for the one pick.

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhand View Post
I thought the system was more about the value of draft picks not necessarily how to pick the player. Similar to how Edmonton traded 37 and turned it into a bunch of later round picks. Parkatti's system will likely say the Oilers got a higher value for the one pick.
This is what I thought too.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote