HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Part 2 - Updated March 25th

Old
06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Why waste a contract spot on prospects who will just fizzle out. I think there is a couple players heading back into the draft.

I would much rather use the contract spots to sign college FAs, who are older and more developed, and much closer to playing in the AHL, or even NHL.

I don't really put much weight into 3rd-4th round picks. But its not even like Zharkov was a bad pick at the time. I remember Pronman having encouraging things to say about him in the past, but unfortunately he just didn't work out. That's the case with 90% of our prospects now, and is the case with 90% of every teams prospects
If MacT doesn't take mid round prospects seriously, it makes him look pretty stupid for trading a high second rounder down for a bunch of lower picks. Either that or they're just admitting they mailed it in with the 2012 draft.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 06:52 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
If MacT doesn't take mid round prospects seriously, it makes him look pretty stupid for trading a high second rounder down for a bunch of lower picks. Either that or they're just admitting they mailed it in with the 2012 draft.
How? Lukas Sutter, Brady Vail, and 10 other prospects weren't signed. It's about cutting your losses.

MacT didn't even draft Zharkov, but this draft pick will incorrectly be linked to MacT for those with an Axe to grind.

3-4th round picks have a marginally higher success rate of turning out that players drafted in rounds 5-6-7. So when people say we wasted a 3rd, it has about as much weight as saying a 6th rounder wasn't signed.

Plus with Macts current draft strategy (trading down for more picks) he doesn't have contract space for guys who haven't really progressed. The 2013 draft yielded 5 better forwards than Zharkov ( Yakimov, Slepyshev, Roy, Chase, Houck). So he's improved on Tambos drafting, which was horriblehorrible, so its a small step forward

There's probaly 25 college FAs they can sign this off season, or next, that will all end up better than Zharkov ( as a AHLer or marginal NHLers).

Its crazy how people overvalue late round picks. Even the best drafting teams get 1 or 2 players max from later rounds. Its pure luck

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Why waste a contract spot on prospects who will just fizzle out. I think there is a couple players heading back into the draft.

I would much rather use the contract spots to sign college FAs, who are older and more developed, and much closer to playing in the AHL, or even NHL.

I don't really put much weight into 3rd-4th round picks. But its not even like Zharkov was a bad pick at the time. I remember Pronman having encouraging things to say about him in the past, but unfortunately he just didn't work out. That's the case with 90% of our prospects now, and is the case with 90% of every teams prospects
I'm not saying sign a prospect if they are no good. I'm saying it is discouraging how rarely we have a mid round pick show anything to make them worth signing.

But anyways, Matheson was wrong so I guess its a moot point.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:20 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
https://twitter.com/coreypronman/sta...35290190909440

Quote:
Corey Pronman
‏@coreypronman
(Another) Correction: EDM pick Erik Gustafsson is a free agent. Does not re-enter.
I am confused about Gustafsson. Isn't he still signed through the 2014-15 season in the SHL? (EliteProspects says he signed through the 2015 season but not sure if true or not.) If so how come we lose his rights? We can't sign him even if Edmonton wanted to because he is under contract.

CurrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrenR View Post
https://twitter.com/coreypronman/sta...35290190909440

I am confused about Gustafsson. Isn't he still signed through the 2014-15 season in the SHL? (EliteProspects says he signed through the 2015 season but not sure if true or not.) If so how come we lose his rights? We can't sign him even if Edmonton wanted to because he is under contract.
He can sign even if he's under contract in
Sweden.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:39 PM
CurrenR

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
He can sign even if he's under contract in
Sweden.
Oh okay. Thanks for the answer. Did not know that.

CurrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Oilers4life1987

Ok guys, which prospect turning pro are you most excited for this upcoming year:

Yakimov
Moroz
Khraira
Simpson

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Ok guys, which prospect turning pro are you most excited for this upcoming year:

Yakimov
Moroz
Khraira
Simpson
The top 2 for me.

06-03-2014, 08:29 AM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Its kind of a longshot but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the top 3 on that list ended up making the team, possibly in the top 6 because of our lack of a big body in one of those spots. We need a guy that will open up space and dig out pucks

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Matheson is reporting that the Oilers did not sign Zharkov; he's heading back into the Draft pool.
Lol, looks like Matheson is even less connected than fans now. His only insider source is the little monkey in his head that constantly tells him "bang your finger on that key". Zharkov still has a year left on his KHL contract, so he can't go back to the draft pool because he can't be signed. Seriously, how did he get into the Hall of Fame again?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 03:08 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Yakimov
Moroz
Khraira
Simpson
Yakimov, Simpson

I don't know if Khaira will turn pro (hope not).

I wonder where Simpson will play in the line up. OKC has to get Gernat/Musil good minutes. Klefbom might be back too, and Davidson still needs minutes. I think hell pass all D prospects save for Klefbom pretty early next year

Old
06-03-2014, 03:41 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I'll take a bold step in saying we see Simpson in Oilers silks sometime next year. From what I've seen, he's really damn good.

Simpson and Yakimov for me.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I'll take a bold step in saying we see Simpson in Oilers silks sometime next year. From what I've seen, he's really damn good.

Simpson and Yakimov for me.
I agree. Just for the reason all he has to work on is his skating. If he can focus heavily on skating this offseason, he can make a reasonable push for the team next season. His skating didn't look half bad in his frozen four games, but that ofcourse against other weak skating college players. He looked extremely poised and well positioned in those games as well. He thinks the game at an NHL level, his feet just have to catch up

The Oilers have a couple prospects with skating issues: Yakimov, Musil, Simpson, possibly Draistial, so the skating coach will have his work cut out for him

Old
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Lol, looks like Matheson is even less connected than fans now. His only insider source is the little monkey in his head that constantly tells him "bang your finger on that key". Zharkov still has a year left on his KHL contract, so he can't go back to the draft pool because he can't be signed. Seriously, how did he get into the Hall of Fame again?
he WAS a good writer. macT is obviously feeding him a bone every now and then contrary to how Tambo treated him. the part that gets me is how damn arrogant matheson has become on any of his radio interviews.

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 04:24 PM
40oz

Oilers Senior Director of Player Development Rick Carriere speaks about each Oilers pick in the '13 draft. Pretty good overview.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 10:46 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
nice to see Greg Chase get an invite to the 2014-15 National Junior Team summer camp.

what are his chances of making the team?

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/new...velopment-camp

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Lindo

Doesn't Hockey Canada love the 'gritty' / 'pest' players? Chase would fit that perfectly, but can play C/RW.

I'd imagine Reinhart, Lazar, Drouin, and maybe even Domi would turn pro so I think he has a good shot. Had an unreal year last year.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 12:08 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
If Chase has another year like the last one, I think he has a good shot. Team Canada always likes to have role players and pest-types, so I'd say that both of those items are in his favour. But TC never has a shortage of talent to chose from, so you never know.

06-23-2014, 12:49 PM
topchowda

Chase was 12th in the entire WHL for EV scoring, so pretty damn good. However I saw somewhere his S% was pretty high this year. I would expect his point totals to remain similar as he is one year more developed, but his s% comes back down to earth.

85 points again next season would be dynamite, and I would expect him to have a good shot at the team. I thought he had a shot last season, but it was half way through his break out season, so maybe scouts werent to sure if hed be able to keep it up

Chase is also the nephew of Darren Dutchsyen, which is pretty cool

Old
06-23-2014, 02:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Yakimov
Moroz
Khraira
Simpson
That exact order . I'm really excited for Yakimov. I think he's going to be a massive steal

06-28-2014, 12:36 AM
ohheyhemsky

http://www.whl.ca/stats/show/type/to.../ls_season/245

It's nice having 4 of these players in our system.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
http://www.whl.ca/stats/show/type/to.../ls_season/245

It's nice having 4 of these players in our system.
Nice having the 1st, 4th, 10th, and 16th ranked scorers in the WHL this season.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 12:55 PM
topchowda

http://instagram.com/p/pxECcuMQsz/?modal=true

Nurse is going to be a monster in the NHL. Already looks 210 here at the start of the offseason

Old
06-28-2014, 01:01 PM
rockinghockey

What is Nurse's weight now I wonder? He is looking like he has some good size there.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2014, 01:02 PM
ohheyhemsky

Looks bigger than 200. Maybe 210ish? He's definitely working on getting some weight on. At least he's doing that....

Marincin

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote