HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Christian Thomas sent down (Feb 3)

Old
02-02-2014, 09:15 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Send him back to Hamilton.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Jrham15

vCash: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
They have to carry DA PUCK TO DA NET!
Or feed da puck toooo da d-man so he can shoot da puck att da net!

Jrham15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:23 AM
FazChenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Im pretty sure thats what we will do after today's game, it was just to give him a look. I still favour him on some of our veterans, I still can't believe we are playing Moen in ou top 6.

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Lame ass comment. How about we give him a legitimate chance!

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Lame ass comment. How about we give him a legitimate chance!
I believe he has an NHL future. He has an NHL shot, good speed, and he thinks the game at a high level. I loved his defensive positioning and his back checking. There was one play early in the game where Gorges made an ill advised pinch. Thomas anticipated a turnover and quickly took his spot on D. Sure enough, there was a turnover and Thomas was there to prevent a 2 on 1.

It's plays like these that made me really appreciate him. He wasn't over thinking out there, all his decisions (good decisions) were instinctual. I can see him possibly growing into a solid two-way winger who can play on the 3rd-2nd line with PK and PP minutes.

However, he still needs some conditioning in Hamilton. He needs to bulk up and get stronger on the puck. With his character and pedigree I don't doubt that he'll take work hard and get it done.

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:17 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The puck mysteriously moved around Thomas on a number of plays. It was either a lack of practice time or a lack of trust is making the rookie have to work for the puck a little more.

In any case Thomas has NHL level speed, which is a starting point. We know he has hands, something the team needs. He will get stronger just being around guys like Eller and Pacioretty, who both had to adjust their training to get stronger. His stint will be limited, but he'll understand what he needs to do to get back to the NHL , and yes he'll be back.
Of course he could learn to play the game a bit differently in the NHL, and he must learn it. But he's a sniper, and it won't change. Eller showed that he's unable to feed snipers. He doesn't have a good enough vision to play with a sniper. Eller needs to play with grinders to be effective, and Thomas just isn't that type of player, and will never be.

I think Thomas, while clearly not ready to play in the NHL, would be a better fit with Desharnais and Max Pac, but he's unfortunatly another small player, so it won't happen, and he doesn't play with energy enough (tho that could come in time).

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Runner77

Thomas didn't embarass himself but he wasn't very visible either. It's just one game, how much can we extrapolate. He's still very young and could stand to use greater ice time in Hamilton. Guess Bergevin might have wanted to reward him for his efforts and make it a motivating opportunity with his dad behind the other team's bench.

Last edited by Runner77: 02-03-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo
Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I read somewhere that he was really appreciated by that part of the bench where he sat all game long. Seems he has real bench warming capabilities...
Yup! He didn't get too much ice-time (I think I saw 8min in scorebox stats).

But...against Winnipeg (6min ice-time!!) I observed him a bit...looks a bit like Briere out there (imo)...skating style/size/right-hand shot,etc...

I observed his good vision/passing...but didn't have that many chances to really observe his potential since he didn't get too many minutes.

He may end up a poor-man-Briere? He's in the same mold as Collberg, Briere...small/skilled/good passing/good shot...small (I have to watch him more to know more!!).

He's wearing Theodore's old #...!!!! (60!!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Or better yet, send him back to the Rangers.

Redundant and useless.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Of course he could learn to play the game a bit differently in the NHL, and he must learn it. But he's a sniper, and it won't change. Eller showed that he's unable to feed snipers. He doesn't have a good enough vision to play with a sniper. Eller needs to play with grinders to be effective, and Thomas just isn't that type of player, and will never be.

I think Thomas, while clearly not ready to play in the NHL, would be a better fit with Desharnais and Max Pac, but he's unfortunatly another small player, so it won't happen, and he doesn't play with energy enough (tho that could come in time).
So if we replace Eller with a big playmaking centre and Pacioretty with a big winger who can go in the corners to feed the puck to our new playmaking centre, we'll have a roster spot for young Thomas.

I'd rather get wingers that suit Eller and the way he plays, in all honesty. It just makes more sense. Getting Thomas more then anything else made me realize what a dolt MB was.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Seems like he's willing to play defense and backcheck, atypical of "sniper smurfs", since Briere and Cammalleri suck at defense.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:57 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
He looked pretty good tonight, he was creating chances and his back checking was good too. Skating didn't look like a 'weakness' as some suggested it was.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post

Andrei Kostitsyn is hardly a "grinder" but Eller showed plenty of offensive potential playing with him. Eller might not be able to enhance others like Crosby, but he is hardly a player that can't produce when surrounded by them. In fact, it is the fact that he has been stuck with grinders that people think that he can't produce, even though his PPG is well above that of grinders.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:13 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Im pretty sure thats what we will do after today's game, it was just to give him a look. I still favour him on some of our veterans, I still can't believe we are playing Moen in ou top 6.
Out of all the rookies forwards who had a look this year Holland was my favourite. Dumont is the next to get a look i bet.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Tyson

Thomas needs to get stronger but he does possess NHL talent. Maybe next year. Then again if the Habs really want to get bigger maybe they need to stop trading for small players....

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:36 PM
donshabs
Rookie User

Thomas played some for the Rangers last year and remeber seeing him, doing little..And thats his size too,.

donshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:22 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I liked what I saw from Thomas. Super quick, very skilled, excellent wrister, and responsible defensively.

Sure he's small, but if he can create offense, we need him with the big club.

Want to see him on the PP (though I realize how doubtful that is at this point)

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:04 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I very much doubt this guy will be better than Kristo.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:40 AM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

...Thomas didn't look too out of place and played fairly well in his limited TOI...kid's responsible defensively...he needs to bulk up a bit...there's hope there, anyways; good luck to the kid...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:44 AM
ChoseLa

He was impressive defensively for a guy his age. He needs to take a book off Bournival's book and be more dynamic.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:47 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
So if we replace Eller with a big playmaking centre and Pacioretty with a big winger who can go in the corners to feed the puck to our new playmaking centre, we'll have a roster spot for young Thomas.

I'd rather get wingers that suit Eller and the way he plays, in all honesty. It just makes more sense. Getting Thomas more then anything else made me realize what a dolt MB was.
I can agree with that. My post didn't suggest otherwise. I was just refering to Thomas' style vs Eller's.

Old
02-03-2014, 08:49 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I liked what I saw from Thomas. Super quick, very skilled, excellent wrister, and responsible defensively.

Sure he's small, but if he can create offense, we need him with the big club.

Want to see him on the PP (though I realize how doubtful that is at this point)
Woah. He's quick, but not "super" quick. His skills are average, at least not impressive enough to allow him to create chances for himself. The rest I agree.

Old
02-03-2014, 08:53 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn is hardly a "grinder" but Eller showed plenty of offensive potential playing with him. Eller might not be able to enhance others like Crosby, but he is hardly a player that can't produce when surrounded by them. In fact, it is the fact that he has been stuck with grinders that people think that he can't produce, even though his PPG is well above that of grinders.
No. It's because has been stuck with BAD grinders. Give him 15-20 goals grinders and Eller will produce more than with a sniper.

He was producing when playing with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Gallagher is a grinder, and Galchenyuk, while he will probably develop as a playmaking centerman, does play more like a grinder than a sniper for now, crashing the net more than making plays.

Old
02-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I very much doubt this guy will be better than Kristo.
Kristo has done nothing to show he is anything special, and considering people were complaining about Plekanec's size during the last GDT, Kristo would do nothing to silence the smurf talk.

I don't understand that trade since Kristo is a better playmaker and dangler, something we lack on the wings outside of the corpse of Daniel Briere, but we didn't exactly trade McDonagh there.

And Thomas looked pretty good, he's not ready for full time NHL action but he made some nice moves, and is hardly soft even if he doesn't have the strength to fix one of our problems.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 09:13 AM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Kristo has done nothing to show he is anything special, and considering people were complaining about Plekanec's size during the last GDT, Kristo would do nothing to silence the smurf talk.

I don't understand that trade since Kristo is a better playmaker and dangler, something we lack on the wings outside of the corpse of Daniel Briere, but we didn't exactly trade McDonagh there.

And Thomas looked pretty good, he's not ready for full time NHL action but he made some nice moves, and is hardly soft even if he doesn't have the strength to fix one of our problems.
Something really makes me think that Kristo never really wanted to play for us. Maybe I've been searching a little bit too hard what was written between the lines, but that's the feeling I have.

That being said, I didn't find Thomas out of place. Not sure he'll have a great career and definately not what we need, but he should be an ok 3rd liner in a year or two. Or a part of a trade.

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote