Needs and targets at the deadline ‎- II

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Altamira

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
Depending on what the return is...they could be better off then they orignally were.

Moulson, IMO, has only made his value worse since going to Buffalo...Vanek is still a legit top 2 player on any team.
Isles also gave up their own 2014 1st and a 2015 2nd for Vanek. I don't think they can get better picks back from wherever Vanek ends up. Right now the Isles would have the 5th pick in the draft, and they are only 2 points away from having the 3rd overall.

Old
02-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
I understand they gave up picks...but considering their team already has so much good youth, what exactly do the picks accomplish?

IMO, at the time of the trade, it was the right move to make. Vanek just doesn't want to stay with the Islanders...his choice.

They'll easily get a decent prospect back in any deal for Vanek.

02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Altamira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
I understand they gave up picks...but considering their team already has so much good youth, what exactly do the picks accomplish?

IMO, at the time of the trade, it was the right move to make. Vanek just doesn't want to stay with the Islanders...his choice.

They'll easily get a decent prospect back in any deal for Vanek.
I disagree, it was a terrible move to make. They would have been better off getting a half decent goalie and more defensive help rather than just transferring Tavares' assists from Moulson to Vanek.

Old
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

As good as Moulson was, if you have a chance to acquire an elite player, I'd do that trade...especially when you can play with one of the top centers in the league and form one of the deadliest duos in the league.

At the time of the trade, the Islanders weren’t that far out of the playoffs…but the team struggled and hit a rough patch that put them behind the 8-ball (Vanek missed some games too). I think everyone saw just how good they actually could be when they won I believe 8 in a row not too long ago….they were, IMO, good enough to make the playoffs.

If they played Pittsburgh again and had Vanek…IMO, they could’ve beaten them.

There comes a point with every struggling franchise that has so many prospects and continues to lose that has to make a bold move….While they had other holes (as Nabby got hurt) I still think it was a good move at the time.

Old
02-03-2014, 01:00 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

That line with Vanek on it has been hot fire...tough to argue against the trade, I think they were banking on being in position to make another playoff run..which they are in the metro, so can't count them out.

Old
02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Lord Ahriman

Vanek (50% retained) for 1st, Koko + something:

Vanek - Krejci - Iginla
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Lucic - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Campbell - Kelly

Old
02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post

Vanek - Krejci - Iginla
Not worth it, IMO.

Old
02-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
When I watch him on our team, and Saturday was a classic example, I always find myself asking "were the nets in Calgary 10 feet wide?" The guy must miss the net twice as often as he hits it.
Yeah, I wonder if a lot of those "strong finishes" late in his career were the result of a bad team out of the playoff picture picking up garbage time points. I know 30 is still 30 in this league, but we have seen average players inflate their stats by playing a lot on bad teams. And again, I'm not saying Iggy is a bad or even average player. He's been solid and I'd welcome him back (in more of a complimentary role), he just hasn't shown the finishing touch I thought a player with his resume (and salary demands) would have.

02-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Altamira

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
That line with Vanek on it has been hot fire...tough to argue against the trade, I think they were banking on being in position to make another playoff run..which they are in the metro, so can't count them out.
I agree it is tough to argue against the trade. My point was that in hindsight it ended up not helping them at all, and they will be worse off afterward than they were before it now that they have to trade Vanek. I'm partial to the Isles and I would say they are my "2nd favorite" team so I feel bad the moves didn't get them into the playoffs. At least Tavares is getting more mainstream recognition for what he's doing down there.

Old
02-03-2014, 01:33 PM
kdog82

If the Bruins every landed Vanek they would surely be favorites for the Cup.

Vanek

for

1st, Warsofsky, Caron

Krejci/Lucic/Iggy
Begeron/Marchand/Vanek
Soderberg/Loui/Smith
Campbell/Kelly/Paille

Offseason: Get rid of Kelly's 3 mil and try hard to resign Vanek.

Those line combos are very, very scary!!

Old
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Altamira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post

Vanek - Krejci - Iginla
I'd have Vanek play with Soderberg and Eriksson. Don't think Isles would want KoKo though.

Old
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
DoubleAAAA

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Vanek as a B, I've always disliked him. Although that's likely because he's always destroyed them. I'd probably feel differently if he were in the B&G

Old
02-03-2014, 01:39 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Yeah, I wonder if a lot of those "strong finishes" late in his career were the result of a bad team out of the playoff picture picking up garbage time points. I know 30 is still 30 in this league, but we have seen average players inflate their stats by playing a lot on bad teams. And again, I'm not saying Iggy is a bad or even average player. He's been solid and I'd welcome him back (in more of a complimentary role), he just hasn't shown the finishing touch I thought a player with his resume (and salary demands) would have.
Precisely.

Scorers often say they are only concerned with getting chances. They figure if they are getting looks and not scoring, it's just an anomaly and the goals will come. But that isn't holding true for him. I feel like he gets 1-2 chances a game to one-time a pass from a decent spot and he misses the net entirely at least half the time. It's like he's trying to be too fine. I feel like if he truly was/is an elite goalscorer, he'd have minimum 5-8 more goals by now.

Oh well. He's still playing okay and I like him on the team. Just hope he's saving the scoring touch for April and May.

Old
02-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Shaun
beauty

assuming the salary goes to the project 71.1m, kelly is dumped and Iginla takes a discount for term on a deal they'd have enough for vanek but I still don't see him going anywhere but Minnesota.

Old
02-03-2014, 02:00 PM
83DIZ65

vCash: 100
Just wondering what you all think the Bruins might be willing to give the Sens for Chris Phillips?

Old
02-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Bruinfan5470

Marc Savard's contract is making it hard for the Bruins to do a big deal for a defenseman or another winger like Vanek, whom I would love to have on this team.
Savard hasn't played since 2011, but his contract is on the books until the end of 2016/2017 season, he is now on the Long term Injury list.
http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/

Old
02-03-2014, 02:13 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinfan5470 View Post
Marc Savard's contract is making it hard for the Bruins to do a big deal for a defenseman or another winger like Vanek, whom I would love to have on this team.
Savard hasn't played since 2011, but his contract is on the books until the end of 2016/2017 season, he is now on the Long term Injury list.
http://www.capgeek.com/bruins/
Savard has no impact on getting a defender or another winger, as the Bruins are allowed to go over the cap by his cap hit if they need to.

Basically, say the cap is 70 million, and including Savard, they're at 73...they are okay...because Savard is LTIR, but if they're at 75...then that's an issue.

Old
02-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Altamira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
assuming the salary goes to the project 71.1m, kelly is dumped and Iginla takes a discount for term on a deal they'd have enough for vanek but I still don't see him going anywhere but Minnesota.
Quote:
Savard has no impact on getting a defender or another winger, as the Bruins are allowed to go over the cap by his cap hit if they need to.

Basically, say the cap is 70 million, and including Savard, they're at 73...they are okay...because Savard is LTIR, but if they're at 75...then that's an issue.
Think they were waiting for this summer to buy him out? They could buy out both Kelly and Savvy this summer no? Savard's contract was really front loaded and he is only owed $2.65 mil for the rest of his deal according to CapGeek.

Old
02-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

You can't buyout a guy when he's on LTIR.

Also, we have no reason to buy him out.

Old
02-03-2014, 02:41 PM
rkwittem

Um, why does everyone keep going on about wingers?

WE NEED A TOP-4 DEFENSEMAN!

Seriously, half of our d-corps are players with under 2 years of NHL, in-game experience. Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid- these guys are fine. No issues. Krug is probably fine. I trust him, but not as much as the first 3.

Bartkowski, Miller, etc. Those aren't SC-level defensemen, IMHO. We can win a cup without Vanek. We have a worse chance with a weakened defenseman group than a less-than-thrilling accumulation of forwards. I love our top 2 lines. The 3rd line could be really good. It's blending Kelly, Paille, Thornton, Campbell, plus others like Spooner into the bottom 6 that is the issue that is tricking us into thinking we can get Vanek or even need him. Eriksson and Soderberg are locked in and rightfully so. Basically they have to find a way to fit 4 of the guys I listed into the other spots (scratching 1) and to make sure that they fit correctly.

Bergy line
Krejci line
Eriksson-Soderberg-Paille
Kelly-Campbell-Thornton

I think those lines are good enough. The issue is abundantly clear when you look at the defense.

Z-Boychuk
McQuaid-Krug
Bart-Miller

Yeah, that's not getting it done for me.

Old
02-03-2014, 02:45 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem View Post
Um, why does everyone keep going on about wingers?

WE NEED A TOP-4 DEFENSEMAN!

Seriously, half of our d-corps are players with under 2 years of NHL, in-game experience. Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid- these guys are fine. No issues. Krug is probably fine. I trust him, but not as much as the first 3.

Bartkowski, Miller, etc. Those aren't SC-level defensemen, IMHO. We can win a cup without Vanek. We have a worse chance with a weakened defenseman group than a less-than-thrilling accumulation of forwards. I love our top 2 lines. The 3rd line could be really good. It's blending Kelly, Paille, Thornton, Campbell, plus others like Spooner into the bottom 6 that is the issue that is tricking us into thinking we can get Vanek or even need him. Eriksson and Soderberg are locked in and rightfully so. Basically they have to find a way to fit 4 of the guys I listed into the other spots (scratching 1) and to make sure that they fit correctly.

Bergy line
Krejci line
Eriksson-Soderberg-Paille
Kelly-Campbell-Thornton

I think those lines are good enough. The issue is abundantly clear when you look at the defense.

Z-Boychuk
McQuaid-Krug
Bart-Miller

Yeah, that's not getting it done for me.
Where's Hamilton? That might help. Easily been one of our 3 best defensemen this year.

Old
02-03-2014, 03:41 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizimal View Post
Just wondering what you all think the Bruins might be willing to give the Sens for Chris Phillips?
Hopefully we don't go in that direction. We have 7 healthy defensemen who are better then Phillips. He will just make us slower and softer on the back end, no thanks.

Old
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altamira View Post
Think they were waiting for this summer to buy him out? They could buy out both Kelly and Savvy this summer no? Savard's contract was really front loaded and he is only owed $2.65 mil for the rest of his deal according to CapGeek.
Savards cap hit has no implications or hinderences on the Boston Bruins cap flexibility. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
rkwittem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Where's Hamilton? That might help. Easily been one of our 3 best defensemen this year.
Oh yeah, I forgot him.

Even so, we still need a Seids replacement. Hamilton hasn't been a model of health either. I'd love to have Vanek (it won't happen)....but I'd rather be realistic. We need that defenseman. Dan Girardi is my top choice, if the Rags are moving him. (Almost called him Joe Girardi, hahaha baseball is getting close.)

Old
02-03-2014, 03:57 PM
wintersej

Quote:
Savards cap hit has no implications or hinderences on the Boston Bruins cap flexibility. I wouldn't worry about it.
This isn't entirely true. Bonus $$$ can't be used against Savard's LITR cushion, so if we go over the cap due to bonus $$$ (think Iginla's contract) we can't use Savard's $4 million for them and have to pay a penalty off the next years cap (which we will)

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-can-L...bonus-overages

Last edited by wintersej: 02-03-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added reference
Closed Thread