HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Devils to the White House : What if it was a canadian team

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 01:57 PM
Goalie Terrorizer

vCash: 500
The Devils to the White House : What if it was a canadian team

From what i read on rds.ca, it seems it has now become a tradition that the Stanley cup champions get invited to the White House. My question is : do you think that a canadian team would get that invite ? I'd like to see what would happen.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Excellent question and honestly I'd really have to think about that one. I'm coming up with some doubts though.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Wildcat

Bush came off sounding like an idiot as usual. You can really tell when he writes his own speech. If it wasn't for his father he'd probably be a "burger flipper" with his smarts.

Interesting question though..

Old
09-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Raskolnikov76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie Terrorizer
From what i read on rds.ca, it seems it has now become a tradition that the Stanley cup champions get invited to the White House. My question is : do you think that a canadian team would get that invite ? I'd like to see what would happen.
No. The habs in 1993 were not invited.

And it's quite normal if you ask me.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat
Bush came off sounding like an idiot as usual. You can really tell when he writes his own speech. If it wasn't for his father he'd probably be a "burger flipper" with his smarts.

Interesting question though..

Old
09-29-2003, 03:20 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Who cares. I wouldn't wanna meet Bush anyway.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76
No. The habs in 1993 were not invited.

And it's quite normal if you ask me.
Has the White House invited Canadian Cup winners before?

Or maybe it's just American Cup winners?

Old
09-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The Blue Jays went to the White House atleast one of the years they won the WS.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:00 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Wow, didn't take long for people to start bashing Bush in this thread.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I don`t see any reason for Bush to have a Canadian team over after they won the cup...Same reason that I wouldn`t expect Chretien to have the Redwings or Jersey over when they won the cup. The only thing I wouldn`t be surprised to see would be Chretien congratulating guys like Yzerman, Shanahan, Stevens, Brodeur, etc , etc. Bush probably dosn`t even realize that most players on the Devils are European or Canadian.

Old
Wildcat

lol.. ok, ok, in Mr. Bush's defense I only heard several sentences on TSN, mostly his jokes. The man can't tell a joke to save his life.

I'm sure the rest of his speech was awe-inspiring...

Old
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Does anyone know if a US-based Stanley Cup winner has been invited to the Parliament Buildings or 24 Sussex Drive? There are possibly/probably more Canadians on the team than Americans - shouldn't they be invited?

Old
09-29-2003, 04:47 PM
flyrfan

Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie
Wow, didn't take long for people to start bashing Bush in this thread.

I know, and yes I think a Canadian team should and would get to go to the White House if they won the Cup.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:37 PM
JONIK

Send a message via ICQ to JONIK Send a message via AIM to JONIK Send a message via MSN to JONIK
Interesting questoin, my guess would be they would.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The funny thing is, President Bush is probably quite a bit smarter than most everyone on this board, including (or especially) those who make fun of him (how many here could graduate from Yale or get an MBA at Harvard. Don't kid yourself, money/clout can get you in, but the rest is up to you). It's easy to sit back and criticize, let's see you guys put in the spot light. New levels of public idiocy would be achieved.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Bush probably dosn`t even realize that most players on the Devils are European or Canadian.
Bush Jr. is a sports fan. I don't think he knows too much about the NHL, but I'm sure he's aware of the mixed nationalities.

In '91, when Mario Lemieux got up to the podium to meet the President, Bush Sr. said, "And you are?"

Old
09-29-2003, 06:55 PM
flyrfan

Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
The funny thing is, President Bush is probably quite a bit smarter than most everyone on this board, including (or especially) those who make fun of him (how many here could graduate from Yale or get an MBA at Harvard. Don't kid yourself, money/clout can get you in, but the rest is up to you). It's easy to sit back and criticize, let's see you guys put in the spot light. New levels of public idiocy would be achieved.
I agree, good post.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Bush Jr. is a sports fan. I don't think he knows too much about the NHL, but I'm sure he's aware of the mixed nationalities.
Yeah I`m sure Bush knows of the mixed nationalities, but does he know the ratio of American players to the rest of the world???? very doubtful...would he invite the stanley cup champs to the white house if say the new jersey devils were 1% American...he probably would but I`d doubt he`d bring in the Montreal Canadians. Even if the Montreal Canadians were 100% american they wouldn`t be a symbol all Americans could look up too that sign of perserverance and hard work I guess you could say . That`s just the way I look at it anyway (I`m having a hard time trying to get the right words out so I`ll just stop here)

Old
09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I'm guessing it's more of him needing to learn how to do public speaking or perhaps just not having camera poise. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you have either. And you can make yourself look like a dumbass quite easily even if you are smart.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:56 PM
beeker16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
I'm guessing it's more of him needing to learn how to do public speaking or perhaps just not having camera poise. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you have either. And you can make yourself look like a dumbass quite easily even if you are smart.

I'm reminded of a quote and story from my high school graduation:

I went to a college prep school. During our robing ceremony the day before, a magna *** laude honor student was to deliver a speech before the students, teachers and parents.

I was in the 3pc band (piano/bass/drums) playing the accompaniment / background music that night, and we were all sitting next to the podium below stage.

The girl begins her speech and about 12 seconds in, taps the microphone, and asks if it's on. (Keep in mind, this is an a gym/auditorium and it's very noticeable when the mikes are on due to the PA monitors positioning.) She then clumsily slides the switch in the "on" position and apologizes while staring over, now dealing with some extra feedback. She had the personality of a ditzy blonde, despite her book smarts.

Anyway, right after that, the pianist leans over to me and says "You know, just because you make good grades doesn't mean you're smart."

I've always remembered that.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:24 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

And just because you're not a natural orator doesn't mean you're stupid.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Does anyone know if a US-based Stanley Cup winner has been invited to the Parliament Buildings or 24 Sussex Drive? There are possibly/probably more Canadians on the team than Americans - shouldn't they be invited?
Why would they waste their time?

Old
09-30-2003, 01:22 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrfan
I know, and yes I think a Canadian team should and would get to go to the White House if they won the Cup.
What logic does it present though? A Canadian team winning the Cup should get a visit with Canada's Prime Minister, and an American winner should get a visit with the American President.

I believe the main reason the Blue Jays went to the White House the one year was because the American flag-bearer in Atlanta held our flag upside down in the opening ceremonies. It was more of a symbolic apology if I remember correctly.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:45 AM
HABitual

Quote:
Why the hell would a CANADIAN team get invited to the White House? They should get invited to 24 Sussex Drive. If you are Canadian and you don't know what that is then you better do your homework!

Old
09-30-2003, 03:35 AM
Puck
Ninja

I agree with Habitual. I don't know when the custom started to invite pro teams for a photo-op at the White House or at 24 Sussex Drive in Canada . A more cynical person might assume Canadian teams have not won a Stanley Cup in recent years just to avoid having to meet Chretien.

I'm pretty sure it would be up to the Canadian PM and team to set up this photo-op. Why would Bush politically want to be photographed with the Leafs, Canucks, Habs etc... where are the votes in that?

Closed Thread