HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Senior Citizens Bank Park

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
True. What good is a closer though if you can't even get a lead to him!
hopefully some contender needs him at the deadline, his talent is wasted on this team.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Wait, they actually had an official "Millville Night" last night? It wasn't just a self proclaimed Millville Night?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
05-14-2014, 11:38 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Is it true that people actually booed Mike Trout? Why?

05-14-2014, 11:51 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Is it true that people actually booed Mike Trout? Why?
They cheered for him at his first AB and after his lone hit. By the end of the game they booed just like they would any other player stepping up the plate. I personally wouldn't have done it but I wouldn't expected different either.

Old
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
They cheered for him at his first AB and after his lone hit. By the end of the game they booed just like they would any other player stepping up the plate. I personally wouldn't have done it but I wouldn't expected different either.
Ah okay. The way someone made it sound, they gave him the old A-Rod treatment and booed him mercilessly.

Old
05-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Hamels with another boss outing.

05-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Hamels with another boss outing.
Hopefully we see more of this!

Old
05-17-2014, 09:46 PM
FlyersFan61290

Nice to see Ache swinging the bat well, especially after that 3 error game. Also that nice barehanded grab.

Old
05-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Hopefully we see more of this!
of course, pumping up that trade value .

Old
05-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Devastate

Quote:
of course, pumping up that trade value .
I'm all for a rebuild, but I would like to see Hamels end his career with the Phillies

Old
05-18-2014, 04:42 PM
FlyersFan61290

It's a good thing the Phillies aren't the Flyers or Asche would have been benched after that brutal game.

I actually think he's gonna be a better hitter in the majors then he was in the minors. He seems like a really cerebral hitter and the pitching in the minors really isn't. I think the pitching at the MLB level plays to Ache's strengths.

Old
05-18-2014, 05:02 PM
TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Dom brown though....sheesh! 2 homers and sub .220 average isn't going to cut it, hopefully he heats up but he's been playing terrible.

Old
05-18-2014, 08:20 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
It's a good thing the Phillies aren't the Flyers or Asche would have been benched after that brutal game.

I actually think he's gonna be a better hitter in the majors then he was in the minors. He seems like a really cerebral hitter and the pitching in the minors really isn't. I think the pitching at the MLB level plays to Ache's strengths.
Well he was a .290 hitter in the minors. I don't see him doing that in the majors on a consistent basis, but he should hit for more power. He spent most of his time down on the farm in Williamsport, Clearwater, and Lehigh Valley, which aren't great hitters parks.

The thing is he has a sweet swing when his timing is right and he stays closed, but it is so level he doesn't get a lot of lift on his balls. If you noticed, most of his home runs are line drive shots down the right field line, nothing wrong with that but it probably will limit his HR totals.

One thing of note is UZR grades him as a below average fielder and it's not because of his errors. Franco's defense has gotten positive reviews this season. Should be interesting to see what they do with them if Asche keeps hitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfOfBroadStreet View Post
Dom brown though....sheesh! 2 homers and sub .220 average isn't going to cut it, hopefully he heats up but he's been playing terrible.
Everytime he starts to lean with his upper body, he hits like ****. When he went on that tear last year, he was upright. When he hit that HR last night he was upright. He changes his approach everyday it seems. Hopefully he figures it out.

Old
05-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Is it wrong that the only highlight of this year Im looking forward to is when Ruben is ousted?

Old
05-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Tankadelphia
Formerly neb45

Quote:
Is it wrong that the only highlight of this year Im looking forward to is when Ruben is ousted?
#tankforruben #ruintomorrowjr

Old
05-18-2014, 10:53 PM
TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Has anyone else been impressed by Byrd and Burnett? I have to admit even though they are signed for a lot of money both have been playing better than I expected.

Old
05-18-2014, 11:02 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Well he was a .290 hitter in the minors. I don't see him doing that in the majors on a consistent basis, but he should hit for more power. He spent most of his time down on the farm in Williamsport, Clearwater, and Lehigh Valley, which aren't great hitters parks.

The thing is he has a sweet swing when his timing is right and he stays closed, but it is so level he doesn't get a lot of lift on his balls. If you noticed, most of his home runs are line drive shots down the right field line, nothing wrong with that but it probably will limit his HR totals.

One thing of note is UZR grades him as a below average fielder and it's not because of his errors. Franco's defense has gotten positive reviews this season. Should be interesting to see what they do with them if Asche keeps hitting.

Everytime he starts to lean with his upper body, he hits like ****. When he went on that tear last year, he was upright. When he hit that HR last night he was upright. He changes his approach everyday it seems. Hopefully he figures it out.
Damn, I didn't realize he was .290 hitter. I could see him around .280 at the MLB level.

Old
05-18-2014, 11:03 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfOfBroadStreet View Post
Has anyone else been impressed by Byrd and Burnett? I have to admit even though they are signed for a lot of money both have been playing better than I expected.
They've both been good for sure. They're not really signed for a lot of money though- not by the standards of today's league. And they're short term deals. Good job, Rube (it feels weird to type that).

Old
05-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Hiesenberg

Asche is a brutally slow starter. Like, should be DFA'd, slow starter. The question is when he gets it, can he sustain it?

Old
05-19-2014, 08:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
It's funny all the concern about this team was about how they were too old to compete, but at least so far the aging vets have played pretty well (Utley, Rollins, Howard, Byrd, Ruiz, Burnett, Paps, Lee, Hernandez, hell even Mike Adams has been decent).

Old
05-19-2014, 08:56 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

This could be our core's swan song. I'm not saying the Phillies will make any noise, but all the older core players are having good to great years so far.

Old
05-19-2014, 10:04 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
This could be our core's swan song. I'm not saying the Phillies will make any noise, but all the older core players are having good to great years so far.
Get some bullpen help and there is an outside chance we can compete for the playoffs in this division.

Old
05-19-2014, 11:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
That's what I said at the beginning of the season. Far from a guarantee, but if the old guys (Howard, Byrd, Utley, Rollins, Lee, Ruiz, and Burnett in particular) play the way they are capable, this team is a contender for a playoff spot. Dom Brown has got to turn it around. Asche I think is playing what you should have expected. Revere needs to do something (I had high hopes for him, but man...what a dud).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Get some bullpen help and there is an outside chance we can compete for the playoffs in this division.
Agreed.

Old
05-19-2014, 11:33 AM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Asche is a brutally slow starter. Like, should be DFA'd, slow starter. The question is when he gets it, can he sustain it?
I hate to bring it up because I've always been a fan and defender of his, but even with his pretty solid start, Howard has been bad. Really bad. He's just barely over replacement level at this point. Of course we know his defense is terrible but his offense is not up to par for a 1B. And unsurprisingly, he's been especially bad against LHP.

If the Phillies are actually trying to make the playoffs this year, they'll straight platoon Howard with Ruf. No more concerns about Howard's feelings or his salary. The last year he didn't suck against lefties was 2010.

Edit: Meant to quote DrinkFightFlyers, not Heisenberg.

Last edited by zarley zelepukin: 05-19-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Edit: Meant to quote DrinkFightFlyers, not Heisenberg
Old
05-19-2014, 01:19 PM
TheWolfOfBroadStreet

I agree it's time they platooned him, watching him try to hit a off speed pitch from a lefty is brutal. Is Franco a lefty or righty? Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing ruf out there but I'd like to see what Franco could bring to the table.

Closed Thread