HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty vs Cory Part 4 (All Marty vs Cory talk continued here) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Fayne Staley
Fire Lou and Conte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Cory's given up four regulation goals in the last two games and yet now the argument's he cost us in both games, the rationalizations just keep jumping the shark more and more. When Marty gets excused for most of his nightmare games this year. If these are bad games for Cory fine by me. Let the ****ing offense have an NHL-average performance for once.
It gets swept under the rug with Marty because usually the offense bailed him out, like that Capitals game. Even in the stadium series game they scored 3 in one period, with Cory that's like pulling teeth.

Tonight Cory flubbed it, it was a bad goal. No doubt, but he played great the rest of the way, helping the team maintain that 2-1 lead up until that flukey play. It's unfortunate this team cannot score more than 2 when he's in net usually.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Lol, wow.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:13 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
It gets swept under the rug with Marty because usually the offense bailed him out, like that Capitals game. Even in the stadium series game they scored 3 in one period, with Cory that's like pulling teeth.

Tonight Cory flubbed it, it was a bad goal. No doubt, but he played great the rest of the way, helping the team maintain that 2-1 lead up until that flukey play. It's unfortunate this team cannot score more than 2 when he's in net usually.
Yesterday, a stellar 14 save performance got swept under the rug because we got a gift from the refs.

It goes both ways.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Fayne Staley
Fire Lou and Conte

There's not one reason why Brodeur should be starting. Deboer knows this and has been relying on the better younger goalie.

Small miracles.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Bleedred
Gomer!

Two bad goals in the last two games from Cory, and I still have a hell of a lot more confidence in him than Marty. You never know what you're gonna get from Marty at this point. Sometimes you get two Carter Hutton-like goals from Marty in the same game these days.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:21 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
There's not one reason why Brodeur should be starting. Deboer knows this and has been relying on the better younger goalie.

Small miracles.
You are right. Cory should be starting. Just the epic levels of Marty hate that turn the Phoenix game into 'marty's fault' should apply equally.

The halpern goal that led to a 3-2 loss in that game, was nowhere near as egregious as that flub tonight, right?

Old
02-01-2014, 12:27 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Two bad goals in the last two games from Cory, and I still have a hell of a lot more confidence in him than Marty. You never know what you're gonna get from Marty at this point. Sometimes you get two Carter Hutton-like goals from Marty in the same game these days.
No, you don't. Go back and look at the goals in the phx game and say which ones are markedly worse than the last two from Cory.

I think you guys have a definitive double standard.

I think both our goalies are human, and Cory deserves the starts, but the vomit that this fanbase sprays over Marty in the past week is just terrible.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Fayne Staley
Fire Lou and Conte

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
You are right. Cory should be starting. Just the epic levels of Marty hate that turn the Phoenix game into 'marty's fault' should apply equally.

The halpern goal that led to a 3-2 loss in that game, was nowhere near as egregious as that flub tonight, right?
They were both bad goals. Cory was getting blasted in the thread after he allowed that crap in the 1st, but he made up for it.

And I believe a lot of that hate exists because it's obvious Cory is better and when he doesn't play and Brodeur allows a questionable goal, it becomes magnified.

Cory gives the team the best shot to win and that's what matters at this point. Brodeur does not have the tools to deal with low scoring games that get tight like this, especially when they're going to need to squeeze out points if they want a legit shot at making the playoffs.

Last edited by Fayne Staley: 02-01-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old
02-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Bleedred
Gomer!

Quote:
They were both bad goals. Cory was getting blasted in the thread after he allowed that crap in the 1st, but he made up for it

And I believe a lot of that hate exists because it's obvious Cory is better and when he doesn't play and Brodeur allows a questionable goal, it becomes magnified.
Yup pretty much. Marty just isn't consistently good anymore. Not sure what you want me to tell you other than that.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Cory cost us the game tonight and nearly cost us the game yesterday

really, huh?

Old
02-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Bleedred
Gomer!

I doubt we even get a point with Marty tonight. Cory was under siege a lot tonight. We were outplayed for the most part. I can think of a few scrambles that happened tonight where I kept picturing Marty and his poor recovery time, and flopping around and not being able to recover.

That's another HUGE difference between Cory and Marty. Not even that Marty gives up that many more bad goals necessarily, his recovery time is not non existent at this point. He's not suited to deal with these scrambles like he may have been 5 years ago. And if he gives up a rebound, it's likely going in the back of the net.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:33 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
They were both bad goals. Cory was getting blasted in the thread after he allowed that crap in the 1st, but he made up for it

You are right. I want the guy to succeed, but I can't say that I will be surprised if we just find out he is an excellent goaltender who pooches one from time to time.

It started in the preseason with a few gaffes...

We have had stellar goaltending for decades, and are spoiled.

Cory will bounce back and steal a couple he has no right winning... But if he plays the rest of the games, he is going to give a number of them away too, and be exposed to this crap team's failures all over the ice.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:35 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

I mean, yea that first goal was bad but you REALLY have to have a serious agenda to be calling Schneider out like that when the offense does nothing to put the game out of reach and the defense goes into a prevent shell. That first goal was the first flub hes had in WEEKS. The guy went what, 11 games without giving up more than 2 goals? and has top 5 numbers to go along with that. You really have to have some nerve to be getting on him right now.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:37 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
I doubt we even get a point with Marty tonight. Cory was under siege a lot tonight. We were outplayed for the most part. I can think of a few scrambles that happened tonight where I kept picturing Marty and his poor recovery time, and flopping around and not being able to recover.

That's another HUGE difference between Cory and Marty. Not even that Marty gives up that many more bad goals necessarily, his recovery time is not non existent at this point. He's not suited to deal with these scrambles like he may have been 5 years ago. And if he gives up a rebound, it's likely going in the back of the net.
Go back and watch Montreal or even the Phoenix game. Marty made some huge stops.

Your difference is only in the color of the glasses you wear.

Go back to the highlights of these games. Cory made some nice stops.. I can think of a couple where he challenged ... But I am not impressed with the 'scrambles' because they seem to be a factor of him kicking rebounds out in the crease, and our d not clearing them.

I get his recovery time is awesome, but it his rebound control requires it to be so.

Old
Fayne Staley
Fire Lou and Conte

I get where ghost is coming from because Brodeur does get hated on. But like I said it's magnified because when Cory sits, you feel he really shouldn't be because his numbers are that impressive. But Deboer has been playing him and I hope he continues with him. I want to see how Cory handles more games too.

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Cory handled the puck like a grenade earlier in the season. He'd actually improved at that for the most part in recent weeks like BP said. He's never going to be Marty at 'that' area of the game. So long as he's functional at puckhandling and keeps the snafus to a minimum I can live with the occasional omfgz moment.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingtons ghost View Post
You are right. I want the guy to succeed, but I can't say that I will be surprised if we just find out he is an excellent goaltender who pooches one from time to time.

It started in the preseason with a few gaffes...

We have had stellar goaltending for decades, and are spoiled.

Cory will bounce back and steal a couple he has no right winning... But if he plays the rest of the games, he is going to give a number of them away too, and be exposed to this crap team's failures all over the ice.
What the **** are you even talking about? The guy was an absolute wall in the preseason and has yet to be give away any games this year unless you want to count the Chicago game, which we were never winning anyway. The guy's numbers throughout his entire career have been extremely consistent. Not sure why you expect him to start handing points to the other team.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:41 AM
Fayne Staley
Fire Lou and Conte

I think Cory can improve in some areas, and he has shown that he works on skills that need improvement. Outside of tonight, his puckhandling has been much better, so I have faith that he will on work on problem areas (shootouts, rebounds, whatever)

I think Cory needs to be the future of this team. He is a very good goaltender, and he's probably the only young proven talent that can be build around at this moment. Every other area is a ****ing mess. Cory has the goods.

Last edited by Fayne Staley: 02-01-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old
02-01-2014, 12:42 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Parisechuk View Post
I mean, yea that first goal was bad but you REALLY have to have a serious agenda to be calling Schneider out like that when the offense does nothing to put the game out of reach and the defense goes into a prevent shell. That first goal was the first flub hes had in WEEKS. The guy went what, 11 games without giving up more than 2 goals? and has top 5 numbers to go along with that. You really have to have some nerve to be getting on him right now.
Just being fair. You called out Marty for a bad goal in Phoenix, right? 3-2 loss?

Cory should have had goal 1 last night as well, if he stays in his butterfly like he should.

I said goaltending wasn't the prob, the team was. You said Cory would win and win. It ain't gonna happen cuz the poor guy has to be perfect every night. I get that the grass is greener, but he is human, and he is going to need more help.

I don't nearly have the nerve of crapping all over the face of the franchise like the idiots on this board do...

Old
02-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Bleedred
Gomer!

Marty has some of the worst rebound control I've ever seen. I'm talking the present day Marty. The old Marty had the best rebound control ever. A lot of rebounds end up in the back of the net because his recovery time is horrid. Cory's is good, and that's why he can afford to have shoddy rebound control.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:44 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Parisechuk View Post
What the **** are you even talking about? The guy was an absolute wall in the preseason and has yet to be give away any games this year unless you want to count the Chicago game, which we were never winning anyway. The guy's numbers throughout his entire career have been extremely consistent. Not sure why you expect him to start handing points to the other team.
In the first few games he had mix ups poking the puck away from Greene and others that ended up in our net and sent us scurrying to ask Canuck fans about his puckhandling. That is what the **** I am talking about, chief smoke.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:47 AM
billingtons ghost

Quote:
Marty has some of the worst rebound control I've ever seen. I'm talking the present day Marty. The old Marty had the best rebound control ever. A lot of rebounds end up in the back of the net because his recovery time is horrid. Cory's is good, and that's why he can afford to have shoddy rebound control.
You are right about Cory, wrong about Marty.

Maybe You are thinking of a specific case where it is a 3-on2 and he boots the shot right onto the left wings stick. We have seen that a couple of times. Go find me some examples of pucks bouncing off Marty into the crease. Doesn't happen much.

You are right on about the recovery times, tho.

Edit... And that alone is prolly why I start Cory over Marty.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:55 AM
billingtons ghost

My only agenda is curbing Marty hate, and trying to mend the rift in understanding that the team on front of our tenders is the issue.

What I would really hate to see is Cory flub a few more because he is a normal goaltender, and then have to defend him against Cory hate... Although I doubt that would happen.

I was psyched we had two great goaltenders until this thread got stuck up my ass.

Old
02-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Bleedred
Gomer!

Rebounds bounce off Marty every game almost. I even remember one bouncing off his chest in Montreal, and he made a pretty good glove save off of it.

Back in the day he would boot the rebounds to the corner if possible, now they just end up wherever. He leaves A LOT of rebounds. It's been happening for 3 or 4 years now. Just watch his next game. His rebound control will likely be even worse then, that's common with a goalie that hasn't played in a while. So maybe that wouldn't be a fair example.

I remember in 11-12 Marty was beat on a rebound almost every game. I've noticed the team does a better job of clearing them for him now, but they weren't back then. Not every rebound is controllable though, and most goalies don't even have good rebound control anyway. Marty had the best.

Last edited by Bleedred: 02-01-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old
02-01-2014, 08:33 AM
sbresistor

Cory may be getting tired, especially after the game on the previous night

he's won only one of his last three, can't continue like that

Closed Thread