HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Jan. 30, 2014| Flyers 3 at Ducks 5

Old
01-31-2014, 02:08 AM
MadFerIt95*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the Flyers have given up a league worst 9 SHGs. It may be 10 now, not sure if NHL is up to date on that. either way that is not good.
Makes me think of the 2008-2009 season.... where we gave up like 1 and that was at the very last game of the season.

MadFerIt95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:28 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Agreed. Some good chances. Giroux missed the net a couple of times with that one timer in the slot, too.
Seems like he's been missing the net a lot lately, hasn't it? I guess his shooting percentage is looking a lot better than it was before, so it can't be too bad.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:34 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Seems like he's been missing the net a lot lately, hasn't it? I guess his shooting percentage is looking a lot better than it was before, so it can't be too bad.
Shooting percentage has nothing to do with missing the net.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 02:35 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Came down to the goalies tonight. Anderson made the saves, Mason did not.

Some people will absolve Mason of blame for anything, he could have had at least 2 of those goals with better positioning though. You can see his confidence get shaken and he stops challenging the shooter. Instead of going out to meet Winnik he stayed in his crease, overcompensated and left the far side open. Not all deflections are 100% luck, sometimes you can anticipate them. Getzlaf's goal should have been one, if he had been better set for Getzlaf to play that puck, he might have saved it. Instead it found a hole.
I don't agree with you at all. on winniks goal koivu is bringing it down, goalie has to play him. He's not going to get appropriately set in the .2 seconds on the pass from koivu to winnik. timmo couldn't stop the pass and the Ducks executed well with a good shot.

wtf is Coburn doing on getzlafs deflection...

Mason made a number of decent saves anyway as well.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:26 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
we need a trade

anything

**** it trade future considerations for future considerations at this point
I just want to thank you for a strong track record of hilarity. This reminds me of a few other gems by you. The highlight of them all was when you told about 4/5th of the board that held a certain opinion to hug up on your warm-ass nuts. Don't ever change, lol.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 03:34 AM
krasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
You either didn't watch the game or you don't know what you're talking about, but I'm thinking it might be both. The first line played very well, not scoring is not the same thing as an "awful game".
i do not care what you are "thinking".
Not able to score on 4 PP and giving that shorthanded goal, instead tying the game is not playing very well.

krasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:18 AM
Psuhockey

The flyers have played 15 games against the top 3 teams in each division including their own with Columbus being the 3rd team in the metro due to tie breaker. They are 3-12 and have given up 4 or more goals in 10 of them including 9 of the last 10 games. They have 19 games remaining agains those teams out of the last 27 games.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:30 AM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
For the Phantom experts, if we get Downie off the team is there not someone we could call up that has some speed and off tk play with Couts and Read ???

Trade Downie or waive him he is at Superstar level of useless.
Clicheaxetogrindfan16, was Downie not the one to draw our first PP with a huge hit on Bonino in the first period? Did he not take the 6'5" All-Star out of the game for five minutes with a pretty decent scrap? And did he not come away with points on the PP, this game? There are about a half-dozen players out there that are hurting this team considerably more than a 12-15 minute a night third/second-line forward, and soon to be UFA, so calm down.

And to answer your question, Tye McGinn has great hands, has really good speed, is strong on the forecheck, and plays pretty well defensively. That's to say, when he gets the puck, it usually ends up in the opposing team's zone. Unfortunately, he's been given the same treatment as Maroon, and we got a real good look at what kind of player he could have been for the Flyers. (Hint: It's better than Rinaldo, Hall, and Rosehill.)

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:27 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Clicheaxetogrindfan16, was Downie not the one to draw our first PP with a huge hit on Bonino in the first period? Did he not take the 6'5" All-Star out of the game for five minutes with a pretty decent scrap? And did he not come away with points on the PP, this game? There are about a half-dozen players out there that are hurting this team considerably more than a 12-15 minute a night third/second-line forward, and soon to be UFA, so calm down.

And to answer your question, Tye McGinn has great hands, has really good speed, is strong on the forecheck, and plays pretty well defensively. That's to say, when he gets the puck, it usually ends up in the opposing team's zone. Unfortunately, he's been given the same treatment as Maroon, and we got a real good look at what kind of player he could have been for the Flyers. (Hint: It's better than Rinaldo, Hall, and Rosehill.)
Rinaldo took out Bonino and drew the first pp. The team is going nowhere if you can get something for a pending UFA that most likely won't be back then why not move him?

Btw he did have an assist last night but that's like one point in his last like 10+ games now. Downie has not been good overall. He was having a good game yesterday but decided to be stupid late and give the Duck a pp, now that doesn't negate the good thing he did but it's the type of stuff that bothers people.

I would look to move Downie. Raffl fills that 3rd line wing spot better IMO.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 01-31-2014 at 07:35 AM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Kimmo should have been named a star of the game for the ducks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:51 AM
kevinjd182

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The good:
-Pretty good effort all around
-Gustafsson looked like prime Kimmo lite tonight
-Lecavalier was solid

The bad:
-Timonen is sad to watch now
-Grossmann is literally immobile
-****** deflections

The ugly:
-Bouncing pucks. Seriously, wtf.
seriously, what does that even mean?

kevinjd182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 07:57 AM
Azir
What's your point?

Alright Homer, now you know that even when we play pretty well, we lose against the top teams so, start thinking about who you should get rid of on this team at the deadline. I would suggest: Vinny, Downie, Timonen, Grossmann and Mez.

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 08:10 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

The Ducks goal horn sounds like a giant cell phone vibrating on top of the stadium.

2 goals on 5 shots. Yup.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Rinaldo took out Bonino and drew the first pp. The team is going nowhere if you can get something for a pending UFA that most likely won't be back then why not move him?

Btw he did have an assist last night but that's like one point in his last like 10+ games now. Downie has not been good overall. He was having a good game yesterday but decided to be stupid late and give the Duck a pp, now that doesn't negate the good thing he did but it's the type of stuff that bothers people.

I would look to move Downie. Raffl fills that 3rd line wing spot better IMO.
Sorry. I confused Rinaldo's hit with Downie's drawn penalty.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/PL020817.HTM

Every game this guy is screaming "trade Downie! He's Horrible!" It harkens back to Carter, the way Carter tried to play through a broken foot, or Richards when he tried playing with a separated shoulder. We don't know what Downie's trying to play through, but clearly it's affecting the way he plays because his productivity has plummeted.

Listen, I'm all for trading the guy. He's breaking down faster by the shift; at this rate, he's not going to last until he's thirty. I fully expect for him to start looking at the highest bidder come free agency because this might be the only way for him to break even when all's said and done, and he's forced to retire. So, I agree - we have to move him, but his slump is not the right reason to do so.

Old
01-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
The Flyers have now been scoring at 2.91 GPG for the last 46 games.

That is top 10 in the NHL during that time.

However, they have allowed 2.89 GPG during that time... bottom 10 in the NHL.

42 GA in the last 11 games... 3.82 GAA in that time... that is just absurdly awful.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 08:42 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Came down to the goalies tonight. Anderson made the saves, Mason did not.

Some people will absolve Mason of blame for anything, he could have had at least 2 of those goals with better positioning though. You can see his confidence get shaken and he stops challenging the shooter. Instead of going out to meet Winnik he stayed in his crease, overcompensated and left the far side open. Not all deflections are 100% luck, sometimes you can anticipate them. Getzlaf's goal should have been one, if he had been better set for Getzlaf to play that puck, he might have saved it. Instead it found a hole.
Yea I didn't see the game but it's obvious mase's game relies on his confidence. Even the game against DET there were still plenty of posts but you could see his confidence rising. And I agree on deflections. You will see goalies like Henrik get really close to the man in front. Either the shot will come to there anyway or the deflection will arise from there. Either way that's where the puck will be.

He just needs to play like he doesn't care and needs to play big. That said I don't see that happening until after the break. Big time game coming up that we have to try and win

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

42 GA in the last 11 games... 3.82 GAA in that time... that is just absurdly awful.
It's Oiler-esque.

Old
01-31-2014, 09:30 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:

When teams do that thier coaches change to a complete d oriented team. We have not done that. Even if we did I'm not sure it would matter.

The shg total is telling bc we all know it's the d that coughs it up and is too slow to recover.

Appleyard suggested this earlier but why don't we trade everyone but Gus and schenn and start over on D? If they can get us anything in return and the replacemts play better than them and for less. That said no one is going to take striet. That contract is horrible.

Old
01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
It's Oiler-esque.
Umm the oilers only allowed 34 goals in their last 11 games against better competition. The oilers played 9 teams with 60 or more pts during that stretch. The Flyers played only 4 teams with 60 pts or more.

Old
01-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
The shg total is telling bc we all know it's the d that coughs it up and is too slow to recover.
And you want to keep Luke Schenn?

Old
01-31-2014, 09:49 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

#FlyersHockey

The team has had a relatively good offense and a bad defense for the better part of several years now. For a short stretch early in the season that wasn't the case obviously but it always seems to come back to this.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 09:51 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Yea I think he is good when not playing with a poor player. He will be a solid second pairing guy

Old
01-31-2014, 09:51 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I hope they strongly consider moving at least one of Grossmann or Schenn, if not both (Grossmann before Schenn). I like both as players, but neither are the type of defenseman that you need to succeed in this league anymore. Overly-physical defensemen are slowly being replaced by guys with great positioning and quick stick work.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 09:53 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
#FlyersHockey

The team has had a relatively good offense and a bad defense for the better part of several years now. For a short stretch early in the season that wasn't the case obviously but it always seems to come back to this.
Yeah. This season has done a complete 180 in terms of who's costing them versus who's playing well. Why can they never just find a happy medium?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea I think he is good when not playing with a poor player. He will be a solid second pairing guy
He can be. He's also only 24, so in 6 years when the D starts coming alive (hopefully), he'll be 30. Coburn, and Grossmann, meanwhile, will be turning 36... so which guy do you really want to start building around? Because you do need bodies. (I just hope his holds up.)